TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Control Panel Enthusiast Thread

^No worries. Many assume that they are the main panel. When I've worked the platform for an S&S Space Shot, I've noticed many an eye on me as I have my hand over the "ride stop" button thinking that it's the button that actually launches the cart up the tower. So of course I play around with them a little bit.

• 2 weeks later...

So I had to design a panel for work... Look Familiar?

EDIT: Sorry, I had to take the pic down due to customer request. Basically, it was a control panel for a brazing vacuum furnace that mimics the sleek Consign panels. Everyone at my company really likes the design, so we will be using it for future projects. Also, there is an interesting article about a control system overhaul done on the Hurricane roller coaster in NM over on go2adc.com/ride-ss

• 1 month later...

I have a question and maybe one of you, more enlightened, individuals has the answer. On many newer rides in place of a remote enable button, there is a little module where the op places his finger, or sometimes hand, to enable dispatch. Does anybody know what I am referring to, and what those types of inputs are called? Thanks!

• 5 weeks later...
Think my least favorite are the Custom Coaster control panels. Not exactly sure why they did that, but they put the E-stop at the bottom of the control panel, meaning you have to reach over it to use the rest of the controls. I've seen it on a couple of their coasters, including Twisted Twins, Shivering Timbers, and Rampage.

According to some friends who work at the park, timbers is getting a new control panel next season because the current one is old and having problems.

Does anyone know any good software to design control panels?

I mainly just want the front end of the panel designed (Where buttons, Pilot lights, etc go) that is ideally free but paid will do.

I need it to design a panel I'm building for NL2 of a decent size, and therefor I want it to be planned well.

Pick your favorite CAD package. There’s nothing special for laying out buttons as far as I know. Plus you’ll end up with a good drawing to use as a template for cutting holes.

Ok thanks. Sorry for the Triple Post. I'm new here and I thought the first 2 posts didn't post.

Does anyone know any good software for designing the front layout of buttons for a control panel?

I want to build one for NL2 of a decent size so planning is key.

Draftsight is a Free AutoCAD alternative that I use to design things at work and Automation Direct has CAD dwg's of almost everything the sell, which include 30mm PBs.

Does anyone know any good software for designing the front layout of buttons for a control panel?

I want to build one for NL2 of a decent size so planning is key.

Draftsight is a Free AutoCAD alternative that I use to design things at work and Automation Direct has CAD dwg's of almost everything the sell, which include 30mm PBs.

Awesome, Will check it out. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...