TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

• 2 weeks later...

I think, much like Worlds of Fun, Valleyfair is the level of park that could eventually see a RMC Raptor, either a clone, or a new model, show up as its new coaster. While the long desired B&M Invert would be a bigger addition, I think a Raptor could fit great in that front Dinos Alive concert when it's expired, and would be quite the visual stunner at the front of the park!

I think, much like Worlds of Fun, Valleyfair is the level of park that could eventually see a RMC Raptor, either a clone, or a new model, show up as its new coaster. While the long desired B&M Invert would be a bigger addition, I think a Raptor could fit great in that front Dinos Alive concert when it's expired, and would be quite the visual stunner at the front of the park!

I believe, like what is happening at CGA, that Valleyfair is in line for two new coasters. Excalibur is going away at some point in the near future - we already know that because the waterpark needs more space to grow. I could see a new raptor RMC or intamen coaster going to the back of the park as part a revitalization and as something to start making use of all the new expansion area that will come with moving the flood berm west. Remember, the access road will be gone so I can see a whole new area themed to the wild west that will include many rides, shops and eateries! Then, when Dinos leaves, our long awaited B&M ________, fill in the blank. I'm hoping for a record tall invert. This will happen along with a new entrance and new toll booth parking entrance.

Anybody else see the new dog show? I thought it was OK.

Good: some good tricks, visually pleasing

Bad: lots of advertising (buy this souvenir save the dogs), very repetitive, dogs don’t always do what they are supposed to

Animal shows where the animals do everything they’re supposed to do suck. Animal shows that turn into complete horror shows are spectacular.

The last time we saw Clyde and Seamore at SeaWorld (San Antonio), they should have straight up changed the storyline so that Clyde and Seamore failed all of their classes and the other dude got the scholarship. It was the best Clyde and Seamore show ever.

Any time an animal show is new or there’s a sign saying it’s in “technical rehearsal” I grab a beer and get my ass in there.

Bad: lots of advertising (save the dogs)

This is a bad thing?

Dogs don't always do what they're supposed to do

I'm kind of baffled as to how this is surprising.

If I’m a paying guest at a theme park, I shouldn’t have to hear many, many ads about buying something; I’m here to see a dog show — not watch ads.

If I’m a paying guest at a theme park, I shouldn’t have to hear many, many ads about buying something; I’m here to see a dog show — not watch ads.

Buy fast lane!

Upgrade to Gold Pass!

Get the Meal Plan!

Get the Souvenir Drink Cup!

Theme parks are loaded with advertising. At least Cedar Fair doesn't wrap their coaster trains with gum ads. And be thankful the ad in the dog show isn't one of those Sarah McLachlan ASPCA ads. And the ad plays over a set change.

Bro, arguably the most popular ride at Epcot is a giant Chevy ad. Hell, 90% of rides at Disney and Universal parks either feature product placement or are ads for their respective IPs that often dump into gift shops.

You’re bombarded with advertising in some form at every park in the world. Just accept it.

Water levels on the Minnesota River are taking a toll on the park right now. The far north part of the parking lot is partially flooded and the employee parking lot is completely flooded, they’re having us park over at the dorms for now. Excalibur is currently closed. I hope it doesn’t get worse enough to close Renegade, especially with Fourth of July coming up.

^ Thanks for the update, I was just about to post if anybody knew what was happening with the rivers rising again here in Minnesota with all the rain. I have seen VF flood many times over the last 40 years but NEVER this late in the season. If this becomes a trend this will obviously not be good for the park. When they originally built the park they chose this spot because it had highway access and was close enough to the rest of the metro area. Plus it was the cheapest partial of land around at the time that met these requirements. Hope this decision does not come back to haunt the park. Tough location.

My bad, Excalibur did open today, it just opened late and thought it was due to the flooding but I guess not.

I’ve also noticed that Steel Venom’s holding brake has not been used in the past few days, I hope this isn’t permanent.

Edit: Rode Renegade today and the floodwaters are surrounding some of the supports near the first turnaround and the figure-8. If they keep rising I’d bet Renegade will be temporarily closing soon.

My bad, Excalibur did open today, it just opened late and thought it was due to the flooding but I guess not.

I’ve also noticed that Steel Venom’s holding brake has not been used in the past few days, I hope this isn’t permanent.

Edit: Rode Renegade today and the floodwaters are surrounding some of the supports near the first turnaround and the figure-8. If they keep rising I’d bet Renegade will be temporarily closing soon.

I wouldn't be surprised if Excalibur and Renegade go down for high waters considering forecasted rain this weekend. Cause that water is already EXTREMELY high right now. Depending on how much rain falls, the park will be lucky if Excalibur, Renegade, and Thunder Canyon are the only things that close.

But on the bright side, I've heard Venom's holding break being off is temporary due to some technical difficulties a couple days ago. So hopefully it will be back on in a couple days.

I noticed the brake missing on Steel Venom too.

Rode Delirious for the first time and loved it.

The "Roulette Waterfall" is working on Thunder Canyon for the first time in a decade. The one facing away from you as you're looking at it from the observation deck. One person in the raft gets it and then the other three laugh it him or her.

I am thinking of taking my first trip to Valleyfair! I’m in SD for work and haven’t ridden a coaster all year so I need my fix!

Having never been there I am unsure of how busy the park can get. I am going to go on the 4th, during the evening. Anyone here been to the park on July 4th know how busy it gets? Or how busy the park gets on a regular busy day. Not sure if I’ll go if everything is 1+ hour wait. Thanks for the help in advance.

You're going on the 4th around fireworks time and are wondering if the park will be busy? Conventional wisdom says Steel Venom, Wild Thing, and Renegade will all have long lines. However, there is a good chance that it'll rain all day which will drive away some crowds and cancel the fireworks. A good chunk of the parking lot is also flooded right now, so keep that in mind.

You definitely don't need to worry about everything being an hour wait. I don't think I've seen an hour+ wait at this park since Renegade was new. I've never been to the park on the 4th before, but you should have plenty of time to do what you want if you stay most the day. I think 30-45 min is about right for Renegade on a busy day and just under that range for the rest of the rides.

You can add High Roller to that list of rides that will probably have longer waits (most days it's longer than Wild Thing's wait), but even still I'd be shocked if it approached an hour.

But of course, we can't say anything with certainty because weather is a big and unpredictable factor, but I think that if you don't expect to be in the area for awhile and want to give the park a visit, go for it.

In the past, July 4th has been relatively slow up until mid-afternoon, then more people start showing up as it gets closer to fireworks time, though the chance of rain/storms for tomorrow could change that.

Hey guys

I was able to swing a trip to Valleyfair tomorrow. Quick question about lines for the coasters. I’ll be there at opening so which ones would you guys recommend getting on first for the shortest wait. Also is fast lane a necessity or should I be able to manage without it.

Hey guys

I was able to swing a trip to Valleyfair tomorrow. Quick question about lines for the coasters. I’ll be there at opening so which ones would you guys recommend getting on first for the shortest wait. Also is fast lane a necessity or should I be able to manage without it.

No FastLane needed; I suggest this order:

- Steel venom

- High roller

- Mad mouse

- Renegade

- Excalibur

- Wild Thing

- Corkscrew