TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

^ Seems like someone wasn't holding onto the handle bars. Either way these rides are designed to be navigable without a tube in case someone falls out so he/she is most likely fine

Heck I'm not even sure how you could fall out if you didn't hold on on this ride. The forces really are much weaker than something like Tornado. I watched three kids go down Big Kahuna without holding on Saturday so I'm not sure the staff is doing a great job of policing this right now.

Kinda hard to enforce that once the raft leaves their immediate control. Sure the lifeguards can yell at them, but the people that aren't holding on are going to let go again as soon as they think they can't be seen. The only logical solution is to send a lifeguard with a squirt bottle down with each group, they let go the lifeguard uses the squirt bottle.

Guest:*lets go of hand holds*

Lifeguard: "No, bad." *uses squirt bottle*

Guest: "hisss" *grabs hand holds*

I volunteer. Sounds fun.

Kinda hard to enforce that once the raft leaves their immediate control. Sure the lifeguards can yell at them, but the people that aren't holding on are going to let go again as soon as they think they can't be seen. The only logical solution is to send a lifeguard with a squirt bottle down with each group, they let go the lifeguard uses the squirt bottle.

Guest:*lets go of hand holds*

Lifeguard: "No, bad." *uses squirt bottle*

Guest: "hisss" *grabs hand holds*

"Bad guest... bad!" LOL! Unfortunately, the staff has to care about that at least a little bit, and this year's staff hasn't been trained to do that, in my experience.

Three incidents, all within one visit to HH a few weeks ago:

1) Tube Slides: While it is not unusual for them to have only one lifeguard at the top running all four slides, The person at the top was not a lifeguard, but wearing a t-shirt that said "Attendant". He was in no hurry to make his circuit around the four stations, and said nothing to riders as they went down. No "Keep your arms and legs off the sides, face forward, don't spin" lecture that is usually so common on this ride. One person even asked to go down backwards, and the "Attendant" said "Sure." and proceeded to push him down the slide backwards.

2) Wahoo Racer: Similar incident here... "Attendant" at the top, with riders on the left side going down at different times than riders on the right. Pretty much letting family groups go when they wanted, as long as the bottom was clear. No "On your mark, get set, go" routine that used to be common.

3) Gulley Washer Creek: Lifeguards all around here (and I should point out they were at the bottom of the above rides as well), but I only saw a couple doing what I call the "Head Bob Dance"... the up-and-down sweep-the-entire-area with your direct line-of-sight procedure that works so well here.

What is going on, SFSTL? Is guest safety no longer a priority?

I was hoping to get a Visit Survey after this visit, but haven't gotten any yet this year for any of my visits. I've only had the one HH visit so far this year, and sincerely hope my next visit is different.

The article says it was unknown whether or not there were any injuries. The Wikipedia page on incidents at Six Flags says the person was taken to a hospital with undisclosed injuries.

Haven't seen anything else. Anyone know if there were injuries and what they were?

Mike

The article says it was unknown whether or not there were any injuries. The Wikipedia page on incidents at Six Flags says the person was taken to a hospital with undisclosed injuries.

Haven't seen anything else. Anyone know if there were injuries and what they were?

Mike

Last I heard was that the guest WAS NOT injured and the trip to the hospital was just precautionary.... but like Prozack said, measures taken due to possible civil suit

Last I heard was that the guest WAS NOT injured and the trip to the hospital was just precautionary.... but like Prozack said, measures taken due to possible civil suit

Someone else posted that the rides are designed for riders to fall off the rafts and still safely finish the ride. Makes sense from a design point of view. I always thought I could do Tornado without a raft, but I do have a swimming/lifeguard/open water swimming background.

KMOX radio news report quoted park officials in their report, no mention of going to the hospital, and concluded by saying no word on injuries. So unclear if it was "no comment" from park officials, or they can't say for medical privacy reasons. Touchy issue these days.

My wife is saying is saying "no way" for our kids (and me) doing Typhoon Twister, citing the Schlitterbahn tragedy. We've done Tornado many times, so I'm sure we will be fine.

Mike

The rider has decided to speak.

As someone who has ridden it the story is just so implausible.

The woman the news interviewed IS NOT THE ORIGINAL INJURED GUEST!!! This idiot didn't say a word to anyone, went to the hospital later on her own, THEN said something. Sounds to me like this person heard about the original story and decided to give a law suit a shot. There's a good chance she's not even hurt, and even if she is, prove it even happened at the park

I've seen people fall out of their tubes and finish slides on typical tube rides like Black Knight and Bermuda Triangle, but never on something like this. Even saw a kid fall off his tube on Mad Raft @ ZDT's once and finish the ride fine (although the local kids freaked out in the typical "HE COULDA DIED THIS IS SO DANGEROUS OMG" fashion)

This one is a little more intruiging, interested to see how it plays out in terms of what actually happened since there are various accounts.

How have crowd levels been on Fridays in June? Debating on going tomorrow. Every day in June has been BAFF and BAFHO so I suppose I don’t at all know what to expect. Tomorrow is the last BAFF day, however, with Saturday June 30th being just simply BAFHO.

What’s intriguing is that they posted in their newsletter this week that they will be early entry for passholders June 30 - July 4. I am imagining these days will all be worse than tomorrow after the early entry is up due to what I’m expecting will be the combination of an abundance of Season Passholders and people off work; sound about right? Seems like a trap to me.

Thoughts? Should I go tomorrow or should I gamble on one of the Early Entry days?

Tomorrow.

Edit- Today

The thing about working nights is that your today/tomorrow is different from everyone else.

I think the early entry will be a pretty big draw and it's around the holidays. Like you said, a lot of people will be off. You might get an influx of both pass holders and non pass holders at the same time.

I haven't heard anything about The Boss in a while. Is it still running OK?

I rode it for the first time in late May and was one of the worst wooden roller coasters I have ridden. The jack hammering at the bottom of some of the drops was worse then Hoosier Hurricane. I thought it was the worst ride in the park

The Boss is ridiculously rough but I still love it, which is weird because I've had much smoother woodies ruined for me by being "rough." I got off Boss with some pain in my hands from whiteknuckling but not much else. Thunderhead and Raven gave me some pretty gnarly headaches which dampened the experience quite a bit for me, but I came off of Boss laughing way too hard because of how insanely rough it was.

Rode The Boss about 3 weeks ago. Can't say I enjoyed it very much. It was really rough. My daughter who has never says anything about the roughness of coasters came off saying it was too painful for her to ride again. I can only imagine what the helix was like...I thought the layout was really good though. It could be a great coaster if it were smoother.

Rode The Boss about 3 weeks ago. Can't say I enjoyed it very much. It was really rough. My daughter who has never says anything about the roughness of coasters came off saying it was too painful for her to ride again. I can only imagine what the helix was like...I thought the layout was really good though. It could be a great coaster if it were smoother.

The problem is fixing it is as expensive as a new coaster. And it isn't the roughest woodie out there, not by a mile.

But yeah we'd all love to see what GCI or RMC could do with it.