TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

You're gonna wanna do the safari first anyway. Just go there at opening and get it out of the way. You're looking at at least an hour for the ride plus however long you have to wait. In the hot summer the animals tend to be out and active in the morning or evening hours, so you don't want to ride in the middle of the day anyway (when its going to have the longest line). And yes the line closes early, at like 4-5pm, so just do it first.

I'd just use your skip-the-lines for Kingda Ka and dumb sh*t like Superman (if you really need to ride it), since it always has a line and the capacity is awful, same with Ka. Toro and nitro have good capacity, so does mostly everything else.

There were signs warning that Safari Adventure was prone to early closure, IIRC. We only waited a few minutes to get on a half-empty truck and during our tour were informed we we were the last tour of the day. Crowds were really light last Wednesday, though. I think we got on somewhere between 3-4 p.m.

Our tour guide was great and reminded me of a young Jerry Lewis in looks and mannerisms.

So we are going to the park for 2 days, and get 4 skip the line passes each day. What rides should we use them on?

My thoughts...

1. Zuminjaro(sp)

2. Kingda ka

3. El Toro

4. Superman

I am going by what I think will have the longest lines. Another option is the safari if they accept the skip the lines passes.

Longest I ever waited for Zum... is about 25 minutes. Don't waist a pass on that.

^ Yup, me too, and that was its first year of operation. I don't think I've seen a wait longer than a couple ride cycles since then. Save the pass for Kingda Ka or Superman, both of which can be slow-moving depending on operations.

Would someone be able to please share a list of the “Bring a Friend” days for Great Adventure? I think they might vary some by pass/membership type but guessing the Gold pass may be the most common schedule. I’m planning on taking a trip there over a Friday/Saturday at some point this summer, and hoping if possible to at least avoid Bring a Friend free days. Thanks!

Will be going to the park for the first time in 10 years this Friday. How busy is the park usually on last Friday's in June. Def want to get at least 10 rides on Nitro and Toro. Not afraid to get gold flash pass if necessary. Opinions?

I always buy it at this park. Every time I go the lines are at least 30 minutes for the more popular coasters.

^ You should absolutely wait until you arrive at the park to determine if you should get Flash Pass at all. Buying in advance is terribly bad advice. Bill is right, you cannot predict crowd levels at this park (unless of course its like a nice crisp fall Saturday during Fright Fest, you'll want to die without one). Nevertheless, the park rarely if ever sells out of Flash Pass so you can wait and make your decision based on how bad the waits are when you arrive (or soon after).

Gold FP can get the job done if you time it right and reserve your next ride as soon as you scan into your current ride, don't wait until the ride is over! If you do this correctly you won't have to wait for anything all day. If you don't feel like worrying about that and can afford Platinum go for it and do whatever the f*ck you want as you won't have to wait for a thing.

I went to this park July 5th last year, and was able to ride everything I wanted to, and El Toro over and over, and still left the park a few hours early. So definitely wait until you get to the park before buying any Flash Pass, because there's a decent chance you won't need it at all.

Some more details on the hotel/sports complex coming.

Gigantic sports dome, hotel to open next to Great Adventure

https://www.nj.com/ocean/index.ssf/2018/06/groundbreaking_hilton_great_adventure_jackson.html

adventure-crossing-rendering-jpg-e19e56575509664b.jpg.985ff427c4ab5500e90d3c5e0258c854.jpg

By Steve Strunsky

sstrunsky@njadvancemedia.com,

Roller coaster fans would have a nearby place to stay, and athletes from New Jersey and beyond would have indoor fields and courts to compete on, under a plan to build a Hilton Garden Hotel and a huge sports "bubble" on a site next door to Six Flax Great Adventure in Jackson Township.

South Jersey developer Vito Cardinale will host a groundbreaking ceremony Wednesday for his Adventure Crossing project, to be built on a 150-acre site on Monmouth Road adjacent to Great Adventure, the vast amusement and safari park complex in Ocean County that -- while well known for its dozen twisting, spinning, plunging thrill rides -- still lacks much in the way of surrounding overnight accommodations.

"We're trying to create an opportunity for Jersey families to come over and stay," Cardinale said in an interview on Monday. Referring to the absence of a hotel near the Six Flags chain's New Jersey property, Cardinale added, "They couldn't get it to work with just (the) one-day mentality of the park."

What Cardinale envisions adding to the area's allure is a reinforced inflatable dome that will measure 300 feet wide by 400 feet long and 89 feet tall -- an area nearly 3 acres in size -- containing basketball and volleyball courts, including a "show court" with spectator seating, as well as four multi-purpose turf fields, and a laser-tag area. Cardiale said the hotel and sports dome could be completed by 2020.

The space would also include a 12,000-square-foot mezzanine structure overlooking the playing areas, where workout classes and related activities could take place. Cardinale, a sports enthusiast who played catcher on his high school and college baseball teams, said he has talked to people affiliated with the National Football League and National Basketball Association about operating sports camps inside the sports dome, which will be available year-round.

At the same time, Cardinale said he has a deal with Hilton to build one of the brand's extended stay Hilton Garden Hotels on the site, which would attract guests of Great Adventure, as well as participants in athletic tournaments and other gatherings at the Adventure Crossing complex.

Cardinale said the hotel would also include a 10,000-square-foot banquet hall for conferences, awards ceremonies and other uses.

Cardinale said he has all the necessary approvals for the project. The 11 a.m. groundbreaking will kick off the installation of water and sewer mains, being laid at a cost of $9 million. Cardinale said the hotel and sports bubble will cost another $50 million, and that there will be additional development of restaurants, retail establishments and other sports-related uses to follow.

The bubble itself will also include facilities to accommodate non-sports activities related to sporting events or gatherings there, including sports bar and food concession areas and an arcade.

Cardinale said Six Flags Great Adventure is not involved in the Adventure Crossing project, although some of the land involved would be acquired from the theme park's owners.

Not everyone is eager to see the project completed. The New Jersey Sierra Club's director, Jeff Tittel, said the deforestation resulting from such a large project in the environmentally sensitive Pinelands region could negate the benefits of a deal his group and others struck in January with Great Adventure, which avoids the clear-cutting of 90 acres of forest that the theme park's owners had proposed for a solar farm.

"This will totally destroy the benefits we got from the deal to avoid the clear-cutting," Tittel said.

Steve Strunsky may be reached at sstrunsky@njadvancemedia.com. Follow him on Twitter @SteveStrunsky. Find NJ.com on Facebook.

The only piece of advice I can give you is that camps usually leave the park between 3&4. Coming from long island, over the past few years we would show up around 1 or 2, do the safari and then hang for the night for what seemed to be quiet crowds during the week.

However I do agree, crowds at great adventure make no sense. Ever.