TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Just wondering, is it at all possible to do a Kings Dominion Trip without renting a car? I’m thinking about taking a trip to KD next month if a flight to Richmond fits my budget, but renting a car would be difficult and very expensive for me since I’m under 25. Are there any buses or public transit that go from Richmond to the park? If not, does anyone know how much it might cost to take a cab/Uber/Lyft to the park?

So in taking another visit to KD this past weekend, I wanted to post some of my thoughts. This was my 5th visit this year and I haven't really said anything, just have read others' thoughts, as I tend to do. After riding Twisted Timbers again on this visit, first thing in the morning this time, I have come to the conclusion that this ride has to be, IMO, the most aggressive RMC.

Most people seem to love the first 3 camelbacks, which I think are great, but I also think that the ride is at its tamest during them. After the cutback this thing launches into another dimension, I swear. I'm kind of surprised with how few people are commenting on it in this regard. I personally far prefer it to anything else in the park and I'm really glad to see how popular it is. It seems to me that the addition of TT has been a good one for the park. I feel like the park has been much more crowded this spring than it usually has been the past several years.

I'm with you regarding the seemingly glazed over intensity of Twisted Timbers! I rode it just under a week before Steel Vengeance debuted, and it immediately shot to the top of my favorite RMCs, and into the Top 5 of my favorite coasters! Yes, even over Lightning Rod! You are right about the out of control insanity the second half of the ride, and I do think this is a real gem of a coaster, that probably hasn't gotten as much publicity or talking up, because of the arrival of Steel Vengeance, which I do think is even more intense, shortly after. Still, TT is an absolutely amazing coaster, and you locals are very fortunate to have a coaster like that, and a park like KD so close to you!

Also, the Mac Bowl has changed since the beginning of the season, and not for the better. During my first visit to the Mac Bowl they allowed me to get white and yellow macaroni plus tots, multiple meats, extra sauces, and several toppings. This weekend I was told we could not do half and half macaroni, tots were not an option, you could only get one protein and each extra was $1.99. I was really disappointed in these changes. Additionally, the early season staff were very helpful and pleasant while this time around, not so much. I feel like KD was shooting for a signature restaurant and may have succeeded, however, these changes really dampen how good the restaurant was.

I'm bummed to hear this, because when I went earlier in the season, they were giving out unlimited toppings - period - and I thought it was one of the best in-park eateries I've been to (aside from a more traditional theme park like Disney or Busch Gardens)! I suppose it's understandable they had to limit it somewhat, for it to even remotely turn a profit, but it's still too bad...

Just wondering, is it at all possible to do a Kings Dominion Trip without renting a car? I’m thinking about taking a trip to KD next month if a flight to Richmond fits my budget, but renting a car would be difficult and very expensive for me since I’m under 25. Are there any buses or public transit that go from Richmond to the park? If not, does anyone know how much it might cost to take a cab/Uber/Lyft to the park?

Yes it is possible. Richmond Transit runs an express bus from downtown Richmond to KD. Route 102. $5.00 fare. Takes about 45 minutes. You can catch a bus a 9:15 in the morning and be there for park opening (subject to I-95 traffic of course) and stay until the park closes and catch a bus back as late as 11:30pm.

ridegrtc.com/media/routes/Rte._102_March_2017_.pdf

It looks like there's going to be scattered thunderstorms on Saturday the 23rd. Any idea if it's still worth going? Will all the coasters be able to open?

The forecast will inevitably change between now and then. But KD will run all their coasters in the rain, but not if there's any thunder.

It looks like there's going to be scattered thunderstorms on Saturday the 23rd. Any idea if it's still worth going? Will all the coasters be able to open?

I don't know the specifics of KDs weather policy but its a safe bet thunderstorms will keep the coasters/tall rides closed.

Nevertheless, its entirely too early to worry about the forecast 4 days from now, it can and will likely change. Also, as it stands, it might be a good day to go - while it does look like there is a 50% chance most of the afternoon, that means there's a 50% chance it won't rain. Personally I'd be more concerned about the sweltering heat than the chance of thunderstorms that will keep people away and/or clear the park out if/when they do happen. Just keep an eye on it, but it'll probably change.

I’m officially headed to Kings Dominion for the first time in about three weeks . Have a few questions...

1) How busy does the park usually get on weekdays in July? Would it be worth getting Fast Lane (Plus)?

2) Where are the best seats on the major coasters?

3) Since I’m doing the trip without renting a car, I pretty much have to stay in one of the hotels acros the street from the park. Which one would you guys recommend?

4) Anything else I should know?

I’m officially headed to Kings Dominion for the first time in about three weeks . Have a few questions...

1) How busy does the park usually get on weekdays in July? Would it be worth getting Fast Lane (Plus)?

3) Since I’m doing the trip without renting a car, I pretty much have to stay in one of the hotels acros the street from the park. Which one would you guys recommend?

1. Do not buy Fast Lane/Plus in advance. Wait until you get to the park. If you can knock out Volcano (always has a line) and Flight of Fear (usually has a line) before crowds get in, you might be okay.

Volcano: Front

I305: Front

Grizzly: Front of 2nd car

Racer 75: Anywhere

Anaconda: Don't

Flight of Fear: Front

Woodstock: Back

Avalanche: Front

Backlot: Front

Dominator: Back

Twisted Timbers: No idea

3. I have stayed at the might-as-well-be-on-property Centerstone Inn several times. It gets the job done and is clean enough for me. There's also a Motel 6 right there too (they used to just be one big hotel).

4. Do not skip Avalanche. Only operating Mack Bobsled in the US, and one of very few left in the world.

I believe that Kings Dominion's Volcano is dormant right now. I would keep an eye on things before you go running there right at opening. I know your trip is 3 weeks away, but (as is tradition), it's spectacularly FUBARed right now and generally spends the majority of the summer season sitting closed.

If you would really prefer to rent a car, create a free account with USAA. You do not need to be in the military to create an account and use their travel perks. One of the travel deals is a car rental discount with a waived under 25 drivers fee, waived extra driver fee, and some other benefits.

1. Wait until you get there to see crowds. Once lines get to about 30 minutes I usually always buy a line skipper if its a park I hardly ever get to so I can get as many rides in as possible.

2. This is just a matter of preference. I ride every coaster in the front and last row then decide which I like more.

- 305, Flight of Fear, Anaconda, Backlot Stunt Coaster, Dominator, Grizzly - all back

- Racer - both

- Volcano - front

3. All of the hotels are pretty mediocre - just pick one with good ratings and if your brand loyal, like I am Hilton hotels loyal, use that as a point while picking.

4. The water park is mediocre but still fun. If you get the line skipper you'll definitely have time to do the entire park plus the water park. The food is decent here, love that there is a Starbucks right as you walk in to the right. If you are a Chick Fil A fan they do have that but you have to buy everything individually, they do not have meals.

If you would really prefer to rent a car, create a free account with USAA. You do not need to be in the military to create an account and use their travel perks. One of the travel deals is a car rental discount with a waived under 25 drivers fee, waived extra driver fee, and some other benefits.

Lots of options if you do not have a car...

1. Zip Car

2. Car 2 Go

3. Hertz On Demand

4. Enterprise Car Share

5. Maven

6. Turo

7. Getaround

We got to KD at around 7 p.m. on a Saturday recently and a storm had just rolled through. There was a mass exodus of people. Sweet! So I checked the app and TT was not running, but Racer 75 was, with no wait, so we headed that way. While we were waiting to enter the station, we saw TT was running, so we boogied over.

There was only one train running, but we were at the bottom of the steps anticipating a short wait. The train was not getting out very fast so I timed a few cycles. From complete stop to departure was 3.5-4 minutes at first. I kept timing and the times were steadily dropping. They got really close to a one-minute cycle, but a walk of shame changed that to 2:16 after two attendants pushing couldn't get the restraint to green-light. We waited 45 minutes or so.

I explained to my daughter what an RMC conversion was. After TT she was excited that we had at least three more to ride this summer.

I wouldn't rely on Volcano being open, but if it is it usually has the longest line. Flight of Fear and Twisted Timbers can get long as well. Unless you want to get quite a few rides on every coaster, I don't think Fast Lane will be necessary. Get there right at park opening and do the ones mentioned above first and you should be good to go. I can't really give any advice on hotels and such.

As far as favorite seats, mine are:

Back: TT, I305, Anaconda, Grizzly, Racer, Avalanche, Dominator

Front: All others

If you get multiple rides, I would recommend doing TT and I305 in the front too.

Good luck and have fun!

Thanks for all of the advice. That’ll be a bummer if Volcano is closed, but i305 and Twisted Timbers are the main rides I’m going for so as long as I can get on those two I’ll be happy. If it helps, I’ll be at the park for two full days and a few hours in the morning on day three, so hopefully it’ll open sometime within that timeframe.

If you are going to be there for that long and for those reasons, I most likely would not get Fast Lane. Volcano will not be open, and that's the biggest reason for doing FL. I305 will be a station wait at its worst. TT will have a decent wait, but in all likelihood it will be less than 30 min, especially if it's during the week. The only reason for doing FL would be if you want to marathon TT. Crazier things have happened, and KD has been busier this year than in the past, but I don't see it being worth the money.

2 1/2 days is a lot of time to spend at KD. If it's an option I would certainly spend some of that time at BGW if that interests you.

If you are going to be there for that long and for those reasons, I most likely would not get Fast Lane. Volcano will not be open, and that's the biggest reason for doing FL. I305 will be a station wait at its worst. TT will have a decent wait, but in all likelihood it will be less than 30 min, especially if it's during the week. The only reason for doing FL would be if you want to marathon TT. Crazier things have happened, and KD has been busier this year than in the past, but I don't see it being worth the money.

2 1/2 days is a lot of time to spend at KD. If it's an option I would certainly spend some of that time at BGW if that interests you.

This!!!!

I’d love to visit BGW but since I’m making this trip without a car, getting from KD to BGW doesn’t really seem feasible unless someone here knows a reliable way to get there.

I don't know the back story of why the house was never razed in the 70's when KD was being built, but I believe KD uses it now for a dog kennel because you can see what appears to be shaded dog runs from Google Earth/street view from 2015.