TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Drop of Doom was great (my first Intamin drop tower barring Falcons Fury)

It's quite the adrenaline rush! Are they only running with the VR or could you choose to ride without?

As someone else said, it's optional. They just had a table set up at the front of the queueline, a lady asked me if I wanted VR or not, and if not I got given a red wristband thing to wear.

When I was there, most people I saw chose no VR. It was however slowing down the operations, as the staff were triple checking the VR people were all good before dispatching.

Drop of Doom was great (my first Intamin drop tower barring Falcons Fury)

It's quite the adrenaline rush! Are they only running with the VR or could you choose to ride without?

As someone else said, it's optional. They just had a table set up at the front of the queueline, a lady asked me if I wanted VR or not, and if not I got given a red wristband thing to wear.

When I was there, most people I saw chose no VR. It was however slowing down the operations, as the staff were triple checking the VR people were all good before dispatching.

VR really slowed down operations at Revolution when they had it on that ride especially the warmer it got. So many issues with the VR. It was brutal.

The real question is why do the new rides at SFMM open later in the calendar year than any other park? That is the real question....

Other parks open to attract new guests around Memorial Day, magic mountains opens rides in the height of the tourist season to attract tourists

Does Six Flags still announce rides at the end of August?

If so. We should start getting rumors for 2019 soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, the last few years they've announced the new rides for all SF parks on the same day at the end of August. With the Cyclone Bay area closing down next month, it looks like SFMM will be getting something big. I'm not getting my hopes up too high since SF hasn't installed a major coaster since X-Flight in 2012. That's not to say the additions haven't been good (RMC conversions, RMC Raptor, S&S 4D, Fu11 Throttle, etc), but something like an Intamin or B&M giga would go against their ride strategy the last few years. However, the company's financial performance has been pretty good lately, so maybe they'll up the budget to compete with all the other recent SoCal theme park additions.

Is CraySanity an exact clone of MaxAir at Cedar Point?

No. It is most similar, almost identical, to the ones going in at Six Flags parks (Riddler at SFOT, Wonder Woman at SFDK, Harley Quinn at SFNE), however I believe this one is slightly bigger so SFMM can claim the record of having the largest.

Thinking that IF the mountain gets a coaster it'll be a RMC T-rex...itll be the first of it's kind (nagic mountain loves this)itll have a vertical drop, big but not quite Giga (250ft), too.many inversions and not enough airtime, visually appealing but leave you wanting more, operations will be horrendous and Cedar Fair will build a better one in.2020. Crazanity looks super fun tho.

You heard it here first.

Does Six Flags still announce rides at the end of August?

If so. We should start getting rumors for 2019 soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, the last few years they've announced the new rides for all SF parks on the same day at the end of August. With the Cyclone Bay area closing down next month, it looks like SFMM will be getting something big. I'm not getting my hopes up too high since SF hasn't installed a major coaster since X-Flight in 2012. That's not to say the additions haven't been good (RMC conversions, RMC Raptor, S&S 4D, Fu11 Throttle, etc), but something like an Intamin or B&M giga would go against their ride strategy the last few years. However, the company's financial performance has been pretty good lately, so maybe they'll up the budget to compete with all the other recent SoCal theme park additions.

Don't forget SFGam Goliath in 2014.

Thinking that IF the mountain gets a coaster it'll be a RMC T-rex...itll be the first of it's kind (nagic mountain loves this)itll have a vertical drop, big but not quite Giga (250ft), too.many inversions and not enough airtime, visually appealing but leave you wanting more, operations will be horrendous and Cedar Fair will build a better one in.2020. Crazanity looks super fun tho.

You heard it here first.

Honestly, you may not be too far off! Sounds about right to me.

So I'm still pondering the best time for me to travel to Magic Mountain.

It's either going to be the week after Labor Day, or sometime during the Winter.

Either way, crowds should be relatively decent (did HITP at MM get real crowded last year?) . . . and if I do a winter trip, I'd escape the cold Maryland fall/winter

It is quite the area they are working on back there, lot of space for something potentially very impressive. Although with Green Lantern SBNO, 2019 should also be the year where they either sell it to another park, or get it working. Having 20 coasters in park is not much of a record with a SBNO coaster.

My wish list for cycone bay, would be 1.) let RMC take a crack at Apocalypse 2.) New coaster that works 3.) flat ride - doesn't have to be on scale of Crazy 4.) continued infrastructure improvements / theme to the areas, 5.) X2 restraints are looking kind of chewed up, time to refurb them.

^yeah, when was the last time all of their coasters were actually operating on the same day? Anyone know?

It’ll be interesting to see if the Six Flags company makes an exception to their “no giant blockbuster expensive attraction” strategy for SFMM now that it’s their (only) truly year-round park.

It's interesting to see that this is one of the longest breaks MM has had from building roller coasters for a while, with the last roller coaster being built being Hot Rod Racers in 2014, and the last full scale one being Full Throttle in '13, not counting Twisted Colossus being revamped in 2015.

The last break close to this long was from 1994 (Batman) to 1997 (Superman) (please correct me if I'm wrong oof) and that wasn't even that long. It seems we should be in for a real treat when Six Flags finally decides to give MM (or any other Six Flags park for that matter) another coaster.

*edit: It seems whenever I try to type in "Full Throttle" (built in 2013, first top hat and largest loop at the time) the site changes it to YOLOcoaster. It is not a typo

^yeah, when was the last time all of their coasters were actually operating on the same day? Anyone know?

It’ll be interesting to see if the Six Flags company makes an exception to their “no giant blockbuster expensive attraction” strategy for SFMM now that it’s their (only) truly year-round park.

They were pretty consistent all last year, until the "incident" on Green Lantern and the retracking of Apocalypse.

It's interesting to see that this is one of the longest breaks MM has had from building roller coasters for a while, with the last roller coaster being built being Hot Rod Racers in 2014, and the last full scale one being YOLOcoaster in '13, not counting Twisted Colossus being revamped in 2015.

The last break close to this long was from 1994 (Batman) to 1997 (Superman) (please correct me if I'm wrong oof) and that wasn't even that long. It seems we should be in for a real treat when Six Flags finally decides to give MM another coaster.

I think this is backwards. Fool Throttle is the half a coaster. Twisted Colossus was a full scale construction project and the longest (in terms of track) in the park. I think it's by far their best ride, too. My favorite of the three RMC's I've been on, and the most fun.

I'd rather see them fix broken stuff in the park before adding more coasters but I realize that's harder to market to customers.

Six Flags is trying their hardest to bring in as many guest as possible for as cheap as possible which seems to be working with the recent attendance records and how much money they say they make. There’s only a handful of parks SF will invest way more than the rest and that’s SFMM, SFGAM and SFFT as of right now. SFGAM and SFMM are gearing up to get big rides in 2019 from the looks of it right now

Edited by DropDeadFuzzy

I would say they are willing to invest in SFGAdv as well. But SFMM being open 365 days a year gives it an advantage over other parks. Rumor has it they are looking at SFFT as a possible park for 365 days operation but it may not make sense considering San Antonio is not an LA type market.

Walls are down at Crazanity. Just some metal barricades are all that stand between you and the work site now. The shade structure for the queue is up and ready. Basically all that needs to be done is concrete, electrical, landscaping, and testing and it should be ready to go!

They were pretty consistent all last year, until the "incident" on Green Lantern and the retracking of Apocalypse.

What "incident"? Other than people not really liking the ride, I've never heard of a specific "incident" on it.

I also feel it's amusing people don't count the RMC upgrades as a "new" coaster. Really? So just because it uses some of the previous structure of an older ride, it's somehow less work than building a coaster from the ground up?

RMC upgrades should absolutely be considered a "new" coaster. While it doesn't add to the total count, it easily improves the quality of a park's lineup, provides a vastly different experience than before, and even changes the skyline and other visual aspects of the park.

Hi!

I haven't posted here for a while and hope this is the right forum, I apologize if it is not.

I'll be visiting LA from 20th-29th of June from Denmark, and definitely plan on going to SFMM (and Knott's as well)! I'm sorry as this might be an oft-repeated type of question, but do any regulars have any tips, especially about which day within my time frame might be best/least crowded to go? I do plan on getting a Flash Pass if it is crowded. And any other general advice for the park? Best place to eat, any underrated rides, etc.? I'd much appreciate it. And if anybody will be at the park those days and wants to meet up, send me a message!

Thanks!