TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

TPR in Japan - 2018 - Theme parks and Japanese Fun!

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I got to the picture of the trash can, I stopped at the top, and thought to myself... "I bet there's going to be NO trash on the ground"... sure enough my belief was justified. Meanwhile here in my neighborhood in Queens we have trash cans on every corner and not only are they always overflowing, they're always surrounded by other people just throwing their bags of crap and loose objects off to the side of them. It's disgusting and disrespectful and it's always nice to see that that's NOT the case everywhere you go.

Also, that gyoza-making class was probably the most unexpected thing I would have guessed to see in your trip reports, yet it's seriously awesome! The kiddo has been watching a ton of cooking shows with us lately (mainly "Top Chef" and "Masterchef Junior"), and he wants to learn more, and I can see him losing his mind over something like that. Very very very cool!

Great report! I love the theming on the Orlando Tower of Terror and find it hard to believe it could be topped, so I'm really excited to try DisneySea's.

All this food is making me salivate. Even Taco Bell. Usually I lose my appetite looking at Taco Bell, but it actually looks appetizing over there!

I love those Gyoza Sausage Buns at Tokyo Disney Sea! I think the favorite thing I ate in that park. I keep hoping they make it over to Epcot.

They did a mini-version at Epcot last year for one of the festivals, but it just wasn't quite the same...

REGISTER for our forum to leave a comment!

Click HERE for an index of all our Japan 2018 Trip Updates

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our "TPR Japan Tour" has officially begun! The first park of the trip is Yomiuriland, a nice Japanese amusement park that we have watched grow and transform over the years. They have removed their wooden roller coaster many years ago (an improvement to the park, IMO) and added super cool very "Japanese" rides like "Spin Runway" (and fashioned themed roller coaster....yes, you read that correctly) and a "Cup O Noodles" themed rapids ride. These new additions are amazing!

Be sure to follow our Twitter and Instagram Stories for live updates from our trip!

Anyway, on to a few photos & videos...

DfiJiW5UYAABTyd.jpg

This morning is the first day of our TPR Japan Tour! Today we are at Yomiuriland! Filming and fun on some of the highlight attractions at the park! It's a nice small group! That's how we like doing TPR tours these days! If you're ever interested in join one of our tours, you should email us!

DfiPbhGVAAEemlh.jpg

We have started our day Yomiuriland with some early ride time on Bandit! The parks signature roller coaster!

DfiSYxmVMAAVcS0.jpg

Doing some filming this morning on Bandit!

DfiSYxjUwAAWCrx.jpg

Should have some awesome new footage to share soon!

DfiftLxU8AAJ3gG.jpg

Not only was it awesome meeting a TPR fan working at Yomiuriland...

DfiftLwU8AI7iCV.jpg

...but he was also sporting a Knoebels shirt here in Japan! AWESOME!!!

DfiixmVUYAAGpW1.jpg

I’ve always loved the “Standing & Loop” coaster Yomiuriland! Same track, but two different trains! One is a “stand up” train...

DfiixmUVAAA7R_D.jpg

...and one is a “sit down” train! The ride is super fun!

Dfilr2fUcAAt5Ub.jpg

Dfilr2kUcAEVmEA.jpg

This is a “fashion show” themed roller coaster! It is totally weird and amazing!!! We have awesome video to share with you soon!

DfirDcBU0AAva78.jpg

DfirDcJVAAAJNkN.jpg

DfirDcCU0AAdF1Q.jpg

So this is a “Cup O Noodles” themed rapids ride and it is ever bit as screwed up and awesome as you would expect!!!

DfiwVL-VQAA7wT7.jpg

At the “Jurassic Car” ride...

DfiwVNNUEAIf8dE.jpg

they have costumes you can dress up in...

DfiwVMAUYAAAN88.jpg

and then go on a Vintage Car adventure with dinosaurs!!! Oh, Japan! Do you ever stop being amazing!!!

Dfi-iQWW0AAOnq1.jpg

It was awesome meeting more TPR fans today at Yomiuriland!

[twitter]

[/twitter]

DfjHxI-W0AAUNFK.jpg

Here’s a few more pics of Bandit...

DfjHxI6XkAA9h7h.jpg

This coaster is celebrating 30 years this year!

DfjRJXcWAAArtyi.jpg

Here's the view from the front seat of Bandit!

DfjZBy3WkAAJnM6.jpg

Some amazing flavors in Japanese CocaCola Freestyle machines!

DfjZBy4X4AArnJB.jpg

Why can’t we have Wild Grape Coke at home? (It was delicious!)

Dfjeb60WAAgBrgG.jpg

DfjedU0W4AECDkm.jpg

DfjedV0WkAAEE6N.jpg

DfjedV2X4AAkhn-.jpg

"Spin Runaway" is a "Fashion Show" themed roller coaster, which is part dark ride, part spinning coaster, and part video game! It's totally weird and completely AMAZING!!!

DfjqVMcXkAEMiDx.jpg

DfjqVMMW0AEfoev.jpg

Bandit currently is running a “Stop & Go” program, meaning when the train gets to the very top of the lift, it will stop for 10 seconds so you can enjoy the view of Tokyo! I love Japan!!!

Dfj96s2V4AA0AQL.jpg

Dfj96toUEAAQJpL.jpg

Dfj96tsVMAMo9K6.jpg

Yomiuriland has this cool “Autopia” mixed with Test Track mixed with a video game car ride! Again, such cool funky rides in Japan!

DfkBhtMUwAA_uk2.jpg

Yomiuriland has a giant Ferris Wheel because it is a national law in Japan that all amusement parks must have a giant Ferris Wheel!

DfkDipoUEAE6wjG.jpg

New this year at Yomiuriland was a Zamperla Disk-O! These are always such fun rides!

DfkEJICVQAAxShQ.jpg

Guess what?

DfkEJICUEAEYb_w.jpg

Land Dog Butt!!!

DfkEuboU0AEfEk6.jpg

Time to head out of Yomiuriland!

DfkEubpUwAAjBIG.jpg

DfkEuazUYAAU5VH.jpg

DfkEubpU0AEIu4B.jpg

Always loved the Gondola ride that you take from the train station to get up to the park!

DfkFjOeU0AMDmHs.jpg

DfkFjOgUwAA9Rw1.jpg

DfkFjOiU8AAr_VW.jpg

Had a great time at Yomiuriland today! Was nice to see the new expansions and attractions at this park from our last visit!

[twitter]

[/twitter]

Now, POST YOUR COMMENTS!!!! After all, we took the time to write this report, the least you can do is post something nice about it!

Click HERE for Day Nine of our TPR Japan 2018 Trip!

Edited by robbalvey

I can't express ENOUGH how much I enjoy and appreciate your daily Japan reports!   And I LOVE that you 'wander off the beaten path' -- the BEST way to embrace a people and a culture (and have fun!).  I've learned so much more about Japan as I follow your travels.  From your 'private cooking lessons' to the everyday streets beyond the 'tourist scene,' your ongoing pix are like a 'coffee table book' that I can pick up each day and savor!

When and IF you ever return you'd probably enjoy reading one of my fave books, Turning Japanese, Memories of a Sansei, by David Mura. The writing is brilliant and takes you on this great voyage of discovery as Westerners experience the Japanese way of life.

Happy travels!

Alice

heh. the group looks like it's having a great time. What a fantastic park to start with.

why can't America have a Cup of Noodles raft ride???

and stopping at the top for a moment to let folks enjoy the view is a lovely idea (that would NEVER fly here in the USA). . . one day, I'll hopefully make it to Japan to experience the wonderful things y'all are seeing/doing.

thanks again for the daily updates, love following along.

Great update, Yomouriland has always been a relaly intriguing park because of Bandit but I never knew about the other funky attractions.

I have to ask out of curiosity, but have there been more fans recognize you guys than normal this trip (maybe because of the increase in your social media reach over the years) or have you always met followers in the past and just didn't post as much about it? Either way it's really cool to see you meet fans on the other side of the world, I was just curious because I don't really recall it happening as much in the past.

Love the updates, it's been fun getting you Instagram stories throughout the day at work.

I have to ask out of curiosity, but have there been more fans recognize you guys than normal this trip (maybe because of the increase in your social media reach over the years) or have you always met followers in the past and just didn't post as much about it?

It really just depends on our trip and the time of year. In 2015 we were invited to (and apparently were featured guests) of a Disney fan/Bloggers Party. And that was fantastic!

Great report! Looks like you guys are having a blast

Japan is definitely a country I want to visit one day, and the fact that it has all these parks with fairly unique rides only makes me want it more

Keep posting these awesome updates

Spin Runway and the Noodle Rapids are two of the oddest themes I have ever seen, but it sounds like it's so messed up that it's fun.

They were odd yet completely awesome! Why is it that Japan is one of the only places in the world that seems to be truly "Creative" when it comes to theming rides?

Spin Runway and the Noodle Rapids are two of the oddest themes I have ever seen, but it sounds like it's so messed up that it's fun.

They were odd yet completely awesome! Why is it that Japan is one of the only places in the world that seems to be truly "Creative" when it comes to theming rides?

It's not even just their rides. Anytime I see a tv show from them, it's usually super random but well done.

REGISTER for our forum to leave a comment!

Click HERE for an index of all our Japan 2018 Trip Updates

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our next day was TWO parks in one day! Both of these parks are fairly decent sized, but for a "roller coaster" fan could be easily done in about a couple of hours each. Our Pro Tip for Tobu Zoo is to at least stay until Kawasemi has warmed up a bit. Those morning rides are "good" but the ride does get much better as the day goes on! Here's some photos & video from our two-park day!

DfmrKN-U0AAkgw9.jpg

Good Morning from Japan! TPR is off on our next adventure to Tobu Zoo! Intamin Mega-Lite here we come!

Dfm-CVeU0AAhPy7.jpg

Because...

Dfm-CVlV4AANpev.jpg

...Japan!!!

DfnDvi2VQAA6b8J.jpg

Good morning from Tobu Zoo!

DfnS5g5V4AEsw7m.jpg

Starting off our morning right with a few rides on Kawasemi!

DfnVq1BUwAEN2_Y.jpg

Kawasemi at Tobu Zoo gets a thumbs up! And these are just “morning rides!”

DfnVq1CV4AEDrZw.jpg

This coaster gets even better when it warms up!

Dfn4b6cUcAAdZhL.jpg

That Ferris Wheel is themed to cheese because, Japan...

Dfn5HnOUcAAUNm-.jpg

Along with having some great roller coasters...

Dfn5HnPUYAEIhis.jpg

Tobu Zoo is actually... a Zoo!

Dfn8_SbVQAA1Epz.jpg

The zoo part of Tobu Zoo is fairly impressive.

Dfn8_SQVQAAH_LE.jpg

Dfn8_SQVQAIr9mk.jpg

Lots of animal exhibits to see!

Dfn9sA0V4AEx-GG.jpg

The park map showed an exhibit with monkeys riding on capybaras. I thought that must be a joke, but nope!

Dfn9sA0VMAIaZ87.jpg

We went over to the exhibit to find monkeys riding capybaras!!! Oh, Japan! We love you!!!

DfoAY-kVMAA3tna.jpg

DfoAY-kUYAAF0Xl.jpg

DfoAY-kVAAMiSMz.jpg

Tortoises, guinea pigs, and baby chicks! I love all the animals at Tobu Zoo!

DfoA0y1V4AA_NwH.jpg

The big wooden roller coaster at Tobu Zoo is “Regina George: The Ride!”

DfoBFwAU8AIA9i0.jpg

“On Wednesdays we wear pink!”

DfoCgfNUcAAYugj.jpg

Regina George: The Ride is kind of rough and sort of, well... “mean” so I guess it’s fitting.

DfoC6ZoU8AA-07M.jpg

The sign claims that the ride will give you “strong vibration” and a “peculiar sense of riding.” That’s one way to put it!

DfoEMyzUcAEWeGY.jpg

We went back to Kawasemi a couple of hours later and it was running much better! Airtime all over the place!

DfoEMy1VQAAh2zu.jpg

Why aren’t there more of these Intamin Mega-Lite coasters???

DfoEjNgUcAAN34E.jpg

Kawasemi really is a GREAT ride!

DfoEjNfUwAAA9Vx.jpg

Happy that Tobu Zoo has kept it in such great shape all these years!

DfoE4-1UwAIVRWf.jpg

DfoE4-zUcAUeZYX.jpg

Tobu Zoo also has Chocolate Crunch.

DfoE4-0VMAEUFEU.jpg

This stuff is all over Japanese amusement parks and I have to say it IS delicious!

DfoFKqgUYAESzhV.jpg

Once again, that is a monkey on a capybara!

DfoFbPEUYAA5hX1.jpg

This bear will teach you the proper roller coaster riding position in Japan!

DfoFr0bUwAID--4.jpg

I’ll just leave this right here...

DfoF-t0UEAEz1vF.jpg

Regina George: The Ride or Kawasemi? Choose one!

DfoGrCfVQAAw0WD.jpg

Great day today at Tobu Zoo!

DfoGrCdVMAI0N6g.jpg

Such a fun park with good roller coasters and animal exhibits!

DfoGrCeVAAIH0Sc.jpg

We will most certainly be back!

DfoLVEVVMAA0HTV.jpg

Tobu Zoo was great! Now we are off to our second park of the day... Toshimaen!

DfomMN3U8AcKdWg.jpg

We have made it to Toshimaen! Nice little amusement park in Tokyo! Now time to go explore and ride stuff coasters & flat rides!

DfoyBTFV4AEyxt0.jpg

“Cyclone” at Toshimaen is one of the oldest coasters in Japan...

DfoyBTLU8AAaqt7.jpg

Yes it is “log themed”...

DfoyBTxU8AAmnXu.jpg

...and yes it’s actually really awesome!

Dfozoh8UYAE6uKk.jpg

I also want to point out that the Cyclone trains at Toshimaen have the most comfortable roller coaster seats with Velour-like material on heavily padded seats!

Dfozoh8UYAA784f.jpg

It’s like riding a coaster in a La-Z-Boy!

Dfo8l9IUEAEVQ9w.jpg

Dfo8l9HVAAE7Lkb.jpg

In the “sad & pathetic” portion of the day we have adults riding kiddie coasters!

Dfo9IFHU8AAAcHF.jpg

When in Japan, you must ride these giant stuffed ride-on animal things!

Dfo9fS8U0AAmgvN.jpg

We rode a ton of flat rides today including a GIANT pirate ship...

Dfo9fTGV4AEpwIq.jpg

Break Dance staring Tina Turner (We think! lol)...

Dfo9fS9UwAAk2O2.jpg

and a Troika Troika Troika! Classic flat rides are the best!

Dfo-BqOU8AAS80Q.jpg

Sad panda alert!!! The Corkcrew is closed...

Dfo-Bq2VAAAyv-v.jpg

Oh wait, I’m not that sad about it!

Dfo_cAXU0AAR-0t.jpg

Just us having some silly fun at Toshimaen!

Dfo_yLlUwAAyc-7.jpg

BEWARE the Mirror House!!!

DfpAjwkVAAE5dFE.jpg

Yes, we rode the log flume, and yes we sang the song!

DfpA3BNUwAAuYu3.jpg

In almost every Japanese amusement park you can find a place that serves these awesome crepes!

DfpA3BNUwAEmACO.jpg

They make them fresh and they are delicious!

DfpBSyPUYAA99Ux.jpg

Was a great day at Toshimaen today!

DfpBSy8U0AAYqyb.jpg

Be sure to check out this amusement park when in Tokyo!

DfpBnljUYAA0xcu.jpg

For dinner tonight we are back in the Ikebukuro area of Tokyo.

DfpBnliUYAI8y6k.jpg

I just love the look of all the streets and buildings in this city!

DfpDLiCV4AAOA38.jpg

We have ended up back at Kura Sushi because we love it!

DfpDLiCU8AAg6OX.jpg

DfpDLiDVMAAmqpL.jpg

This is probably the most popular “conveyor belt sushi” chain in Japan! (They even have locations in the US!)

DfpDjIMVAAAO55d.jpg

Megan is mesmerized by her sushi!

[twitter]

[/twitter]

[twitter]

[/twitter]

DfpkiWFUwAAHUzv.jpg

When you’re a Disney fan and you’re in Shibuya, you have to make a stop at the Disney Store!

DfpktqyUcAE0z6V.jpg

DfpktqyV4AAPXrr.jpg

DfpktqyUwAAK4RX.jpg

Chip n Dale fans should be happy to see all this new merchandise you can find in Japan at the Disney Store!

Dfpk59IUEAAjxwF.jpg

Dfpk59LUcAEJVXC.jpg

Dfpk59NU0AAbZ6m.jpg

Dfpk59QVMAAWH-3.jpg

Even more Chip n’ Dale stuff at the Disney Store in Japan!

Dfplp-RV4AE8NpO.jpg

Good night from Tokyo! Another great day on our TPR Japan trip!

Now, POST YOUR COMMENTS!!!! After all, we took the time to write this report, the least you can do is post something nice about it!

Click HERE for Part Ten of our TPR Japan 2018 Reports!

Edited by robbalvey

The guinea pigs all protecting each other, in that defensive position... They're so cute!

And Tobu Zoo and Toshimaen still look awesome after all these years.

OMG was that enough for Elissa? All that Chip'n Dale stuff??? Probably not, lol.

Great report Robb, on two of my fave non-Disney/Universal parks!

absolutely fantastic enough that it's themed to a log.. but when I saw this pic!

OMG. .it's like riding my gramma's couch. . I wanna be on that, and am sad I'm not

Dfozoh8UYAE6uKk.jpg

the zoo looks great too, and not just because of the Copybara riding Monkey. . . sooo much bear stuff! (the dead bear in the last shot of the how not to ride a rollercoaster made me laugh. . . wonder what he's saying?).

the coasters are great too. I'm gonna have to go to the local H-Mart and see if they carry Chocolate Crunch, so I can try it. they have so much stuff, I'm sure they likely carry this too.

again, looks like y'all are having a great time, and really appreciate that you're sharing so often so we can follow along.

Great report! Really looking forward to trying Kawasemi since I loved Lightning Run and heard it's pretty comparable.

They are similar but I'd actually say they are more different than they are similar.

Man when my kids are older we are going to have to jump on one of these trips to Japan. Every time I see these report I am so jealous. Japan is our number 1 bucket list. I am enjoying the reports and look forward to reading more.

Great report! Really looking forward to trying Kawasemi since I loved Lightning Run and heard it's pretty comparable.

They are similar but I'd actually say they are more different than they are similar.

I agree Robb they're very different and hard to compare, really the height is the only similar thing to me! Loving this trip report and it has convinced me to finally go to Yomiuriland (I live pretty close, I'm just the laziest enthusiast ever). I'll be at Tokyo Disney on Sunday and Monday, not sure of your schedule but if I see y'all I'll say hi!