TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Bobbejaanland Discussion Thread

Bobbejaanland closes Typhoon after collision

230817opd.jpg.0386fa3335302d7ee4a614b99265715b.jpg

Last week, five visitors were slightly injured because of a collision on Bobbejaanland's most popular attraction Typhoon. Two of them had to be taken to hospital with some neck pain. Since then, the rollercoaster has been closed for research, says Peggy Verelst, commercial director.

"Last Tuesday, one of the cars did not slow down in the station. This resulted in a collision at low speed with the car that was waiting to go up the lift hill," Verelst explains. The two passengers who went to the hospital for inspection returned to the theme park later in the day.

For now, Typhoon remains closed. Staff of the theme park, TÜV and Gerstlauer are investigating the cause of the accident. It is expected that the roller coaster will open again this weekend.

Source

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have to be honest, I don't completely trust Gerstlauer. Yes none of this should happen and the Smiler incident was human error but if I understood this case correctly, the train just didn't stop in the station and rolled through. Which sounds a whole lot like mechanical issue rather than staff.

Didn't they also have to close Gold Rush at Slagharen because they had to redo the support foundation and didn't they also have loosening bolts on their tracks a couple years back?

This is a german company, I wouldn't expect them to make a lot of errors. Even if those errors are very few and far between, like it's been said many times in many threads recently, this shouldn't happen.

• 2 months later...

Serious accident with attraction in Bobbejaanland: Man in critical condition

281017dicht3.jpg.0e7bba3c66411ab70c7c2075e7a57279.jpg

A 67-year-old man was seriously injured in Bobbejaanland, this Saturday afternoon. He fell five meters down when he wanted to board Aztek Express. He is in critical condition.

The accident occurred at the Aztek Express, a fast Mexican-style Caterpillar ride around 15 o'clock. Upon entering the attraction, the 67-year-old man from Antwerp fell between two gondolas, five meters down.

The spokeswoman does not know how this accident happened. "That's really a mystery to us. We find it hard to reconstruct the whole story. The attraction is currently closed for further investigation."

The man was brought to the hospital in critical condition by the emergency services.

281017dicht1.jpg.253a462360d513e37a73498d767e3796.jpg

281017dicht2.jpg.195e7d125ad67abc69bdb0b168bdd32d.jpg

cbd65ae2-bbe9-11e7-9a1c-58ead753e167_web_scale_0.2083333_0.2083333__.jpg.8c834705fb0fa8f6076f17d682951b57.jpg

ccecec84-bbe9-11e7-9a1c-58ead753e167_web_scale_0.15625_0.15625__.jpg.3d647de3dd58161476fac01b929b9550.jpg

Source

The spokeswoman does not know how this accident happened. "That's really a mystery to us. We find it hard to reconstruct the whole story. The attraction is currently closed for further investigation."

I'm just about as confused as she is. I don't fully understand how it's possible?

But in any case I hope everything turns out fine and that the man has a speedy recovery.

^Indeed, I do not fully understand it either. As you can see in the picture below, the space between two cars is at most 40 centimeters. How is it possible to precisely fall in that gap?

Anyway, I hope he will fully recover.

pic4_big.jpg.cf915f56a1392aa384b2ef7f899ea026.jpg

Personally, I think that the man must have got some kind of an attack, because he's family (who was there with him) didn't see it happen.

I was there last night and the park cancelled the fireworks out of respect for everybody who is involved.

Here are some videos of the news (in Dutch):

https://nieuws.vtm.be/binnenland/man-valt-tussen-attractie-bobbejaanland

https://www.vrt.be/vrtnws/nl/2017/10/28/man-zwaargewond-bij-val-in-bobbejaanland/

Anyway, I hope he fully recovers.

Some very sad news from Bobbejaanland today.

Sadly, the victim of the accident in Bobbejaanland passed away. This Saturday, he was taken to the hospital in critical condition. Today, he died as a result of his injuries.

Aztek Express will remain closed for the rest of the season. This is the first deadly accident at Bobbejaanland.

RIP

• 2 months later...

Bobbejaanland adds VR to Dreamcatcher

Bobbejaanland announced on their website that they are adding VR to the Dreamcatcher, Europe's first inverted roller coaster. It will be in the same theme as is it now: the world of the Native Americans. It will be the second coaster with VR in the park.

dreamcatcherconceptart2018_0.jpg

To fly. We all dream about it, about how nice that feeling of freedom should be when you are in the air. You already get that feeling in the Dreamcatcher, do not you think?

Like an eagle above the water

The hanging trains release your feet making it seem like you are floating above the water. You are taken to a height of no less than 25 meters, and then take a lightning fast dive towards the lake. But that has not always been the case.

A first flying lesson with the Air Race

Did you know that the Dreamcatcher is the oldest working roller coaster in the park? Really! It was built in 1987 - long before there was virtual reality - and originally saw the light of day as the Air Race. The attraction gave the visitors of Bobbejaanland a first flying lesson in brightly colored aircraft. This meant that Bobbejaanland did have a European first: the Air Race was the first hanging rollercoaster in Europe. Well done, Bobbejaan!

From airplanes to a virtual reality

In 2006, almost 20 years later, we became acquainted with the renewed Air Race, which was also renamed Dreamcatcher. The renewed attraction takes us to the Wild West. More specifically to the world of the Indians, where the eagle is considered a sacred symbol. A flight with the Dreamcatcher gives you the feeling that you can handle the world.

That will be even more the case in the future. Because the start of the new season in Bobbejaanland, the Dreamcatcher also immediately marks a new phase in life. The attraction follows in the footsteps of the Mount Mara. Do you remember, the first VR coaster of the Benelux?

The Dreamcatcher will stay in the Wild West for a while, but you will experience it completely differently. With virtual reality glasses on your nose, you can now imagine yourself a courageous eagle that defies the greatest storms in mysterious landscapes. Fly 600 meters in another virtual reality, are you ready?

Edited by jedimaster1227

Except for the slower operations, this is the coaster size where the experience can be enhanced with VR.

That's right, I'm not a big fan of VR, but this coaster is ideal for that. My only concern are the waiting times, because on normal days, you already have to wait for about an hour. With VR, the waiting times will only increase.

Except for the slower operations, this is the coaster size where the experience can be enhanced with VR.

I agree. It makes sense to use VR on an "OK" family suspended coaster like Dreamcatcher (as opposed to a big ride like SeaWorld's Kraken).

That's right, I'm not a big fan of VR, but this coaster is ideal for that. My only concern are the waiting times, because on normal days, you already have to wait for about an hour. With VR, the waiting times will only increase.

This is my main concern as well. The wait for this ride is going to be ridiculous. It already had one of the worst moving lines in the park, and now with the VR on it.. Yikes!

I agree that I much rather see VR on a coaster like this than on a major thrill ride. I will always prefer a coaster without VR though. But to be honest, I think this is just a cheap way to give this ride some new life, because it really wasn't looking good. And now that they add VR to it, it doesn't matter how it looks. What Bobbejaanland really needs is a major new attraction, and not another coaster that offers VR and slows down operations. But it's better than nothing, I guess.

• 1 month later...

Bobbejaanland has sent us a press release announcing the addition of a signficant new Gerstlauer triple-launch coaster similar to Gold Rush which opened recently at Slagharen!

Bobbejaanland will make its most significant investment in a new themed area in 2019.

With more than 2ha, the new area represents an expansion of 3000 sqm for the park. The new area will include some of Bobbejaanland’s most spectacular and iconic rides, like Typhoon rollercoaster and Sledge Hammer giant frisbee.

Additionally, this new area will bring the latest rollercoaster excitement to Bobbejaanland with a new triple-launch coaster by the German manufacturer Gerstlauer. The new attraction will offer experiences of speed, height and adrenaline unprecedented in the BENELUX region.

Visitors will discover the theme of this new area during the 2019 pre-season, during which opening is expected.

You can’t miss it!

unnamed.thumb.jpg.39a4f63cb82843f617c089bb58aad430.jpg

Unexpected but this is the most exited news ever from Bobbejaanland in my experiance. Seems 2019 has a good reason to return to Bobbejaanland, It never has been my favorite park and never will but their rides have a certain charm in my opinion. Just wish the park itself gets that same charm someday.

• 3 months later...

Bobbejaanland places scales to check the weight of visitors

In Bobbejaanland, scales have been installed at four attractions. This allows employees of the amusement park to check the weight of visitors if they have doubts about exceeding the weight limit.

The Dutch theme park website Loopings asked Bobbejaanland for an explanation. "It is a new safety measure that has been imposed from the head office in Madrid", explains a spokesman for the amusement park in Lichtaart. Bobbejaanland is part of the Parques Reunidos group, a Spanish company that operates more than 50 theme parks, animal parks and other parks.

There are scales at whitewater El Rio, the covered waterway Indiana River, the quiet boat ride and the tree trunk attraction Wildwaterbaan. "It's a test setup and we look at the possibilities for a more professional application, such as a special measurement platform." On the information boards in the park and on the website, the new measure has not yet been reported.

Source

Wow, that's quite incredible really, I can't think of any other off-the-shelf theme park rides that have scales? The rapids is the particular surprise to me. I wonder if Parques Reunidos are testing this at Bobbejaanland in anticipation of rolling it out to their other parks?

• 1 month later...

This will be the layout of the new triple-launch coaster for 2018

250718uiltje2.jpg.71b86f2c9ac39ddbddbb02d2c00c10a3.jpg

Plans have been released of a spectacular new roller coaster in Bobbejaanland. The Flemish theme park has applied for a building permit for a 43 meter tall triple-launch coaster. The accompanying building plans include the layout of the attraction.

The yet unnamed launch coaster of the German manufacturer Gerstlauer will be located on a piece of land between the existing roller coaster Typhoon and frisbee Sledge Hammer. A track switch will be used, so that it can run with two trains. They each have three rows with four seats.

The coaster will be 600 meters long. Thanks to the three launches - forward, backward and forward - passengers will travel 830 meters in total. A ride is expected to take a minute and a half. The theoretical capacity is a maximum of 680 persons per hour. Visitors must be at least 1.30 meters tall.

Details about the name and theme are still unknown. It is also not clear what colors the roller coaster will get. The opening is planned to take place next year. In 2017 sister park Attractiepark Slagharen opened a similar triple-launch coaster, Gold Rush.

250718uiltje1.jpg.fd2a38c67d0ae92417778a179dddf25c.jpg

250718uiltje3.jpg.99fd7e2186df4c3e66b98a91b375fb9d.jpg

250718uiltje4.jpg.96602c6fda12701638b98ec02caf5733.jpg

Source

Looks very cool and a bit wierd. I think this is perfect for Bobbejaanland. I don't understand the wierd S-bends before and after the station. Other then that it seems to use the space avialable to it's max with that brake run ending in a half loop.

^The S-bends probably won't be there on the real coaster. As you can see in the drawing of the second photo, there will be some kind of turntables to switch between the tracks. Since there isn't a turntable available in NoLimits2 , they just needed to connect the track switches with the station in NL2. That is my guess, at least.