TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Per the discussions on Volcano status, just thought you would all like to know that they have completely removed all mention of it from the Coaster Con schedule. Con will be at KD on the 19th and 20th. So they are obviously not optimistic it will be open by then.

So then it appears I'll be at KD the same day as coaster con. I had no idea. I don't know how to feel about this.

Does anyone know how many people ACE events usually attract? Was going to wait and see about Fastlane once I got there. Now I'm wondering if it may make sense to buy ahead.

There are going to be about 500 participants. Get the fastlane plus, which if you only have one day I would advise even if there wasn't an event. Most participants probably will not get FL due to ert on almost every coaster before or after park opening.

Per the discussions on Volcano status, just thought you would all like to know that they have completely removed all mention of it from the Coaster Con schedule. Con will be at KD on the 19th and 20th. So they are obviously not optimistic it will be open by then.

Just got an email from Kings Dominion stating that they do not expect to open Volcano anytime soon.....seems there are some major headaches with the ride....well, it's an Intamin.

I'm heading out to KD late July/early August. I know there is plenty to do here, but Volcano is a coaster I've been particularly excited for. Hope they figure it out.

I told them that we are going in late August and they still were not sure about Volcano......

I just removed some flame posts from this thread. If you have a disagreement, I suggest you 1) discuss it via private messages or 2) schedule a death match in a steel cage--just keep it off the forums.

Thank you.

Was at the park all day yesterday. It rained for half day, and if it wasn't for a couple buses full of kids, the park would have been deserted. The rain was light to moderate between like 11 until 3:30, and KD never shut down any rides. Respect. I wish I had swim goggles for my I305 rides in the ran hah.

All the buses were gone by 6 or so, so I got my first marathon session of TT without having to leave my seat or station.

In 6 visits this season, the only ride that's actually enforced a reride rule was Dominator, and it was just 1 reride. Yesterday, the ride ops had zero f*cks to give, and no such rule was enforced on any ride. Yesterday you could have reridden I305 until there was no blood left in your brain.

http://nbc12.com/story/38419337/woman-injured-by-flying-cell-phone-on-roller-coaster

poor girl got slammed with a phone to her head. guy claimed it flew out of his pocked.

I feel for her, but at the same time I can't help but feel that it's turned into nothing more than a money grab now. If he had the phone in his pocket(as he claims) how can the park be held responsible? If she is to go after anyone, it would be the guy with the phone.....not the park. I assume the phone was not retrieved by the individual, so his info should be on the phone.

The park posts the rules, and they are clearly posted. They can't enforce what they can't see.

http://nbc12.com/story/38419337/woman-injured-by-flying-cell-phone-on-roller-coaster

poor girl got slammed with a phone to her head. guy claimed it flew out of his pocked.

I feel for her, but at the same time I can't help but feel that it's turned into nothing more than a money grab now. If he had the phone in his pocket(as he claims) how can the park be held responsible? If she is to go after anyone, it would be the guy with the phone.....not the park. I assume the phone was not retrieved by the individual, so his info should be on the phone.

The park posts the rules, and they are clearly posted. They can't enforce what they can't see.

Sucks she got hit, but I hope she doesn't get a dime from the park. Go after the person responsible for the injury, guests need to be held responsible for their stupid actions.

What I'm confused about is how she said "I put my phone in the bin" because there is no bin on TT. Did she just make a mistake and say bin instead of locker?

Either way, glad she's alright. I had a phone coming straight for my face on Steel Vengeance and my friend in front of me was able to block it and throw it on the bottom of the train then step on it so it wouldn't go anywhere. The guy got his phone back safe and sound.

Sucks she got hit, but I hope she doesn't get a dime from the park. Go after the person responsible for the injury, guests need to be held responsible for their stupid actions.

The park will pay out though no matter what. So she'll more than likely go after the park. Which is annoying because 1) it's not the parks fault and 2) the guy was a dumb ass.

I also find it funny how she says she is never going back fo kd again because she is scared. But does she not realize this can happen at any park?

What I'm confused about is how she said "I put my phone in the bin" because there is no bin on TT. Did she just make a mistake and say bin instead of fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo?

Either way, glad she's alright. I had a phone coming straight for my face on Steel Vengeance and my friend in front of me was able to block it and throw it on the bottom of the train then step on it so it wouldn't go anywhere. The guy got his phone back safe and sound.

Should have charged him to give his phone back. Maybe then he would have thought twice about riding with it.

The park will pay out though no matter what. So she'll more than likely go after the park. Which is annoying because 1) it's not the parks fault and 2) the guy was a dumb A$$.

I also find it funny how she says she is never going back fo kd again because she is scared. But does she not realize this can happen at any park?

Yep. She's going after the park because they have money and will likely settle. Anything she says right now will likely be at the advice of her lawyer, so of course she's going to say she's scared. If she says it's no big deal, she doesn't get paid, or at least not as much.

So in taking another visit to KD this past weekend, I wanted to post some of my thoughts. This was my 5th visit this year and I haven't really said anything, just have read others' thoughts, as I tend to do. After riding Twisted Timbers again on this visit, first thing in the morning this time, I have come to the conclusion that this ride has to be, IMO, the most aggressive RMC.

Most people seem to love the first 3 camelbacks, which I think are great, but I also think that the ride is at its tamest during them. After the cutback this thing launches into another dimension, I swear. I'm kind of surprised with how few people are commenting on it in this regard. I personally far prefer it to anything else in the park and I'm really glad to see how popular it is. It seems to me that the addition of TT has been a good one for the park. I feel like the park has been much more crowded this spring than it usually has been the past several years.

Also, the Mac Bowl has changed since the beginning of the season, and not for the better. During my first visit to the Mac Bowl they allowed me to get white and yellow macaroni plus tots, multiple meats, extra sauces, and several toppings. This weekend I was told we could not do half and half macaroni, tots were not an option, you could only get one protein and each extra was $1.99. I was really disappointed in these changes. Additionally, the early season staff were very helpful and pleasant while this time around, not so much. I feel like KD was shooting for a signature restaurant and may have succeeded, however, these changes really dampen how good the restaurant was.

Overall the park seems to be a better place than it has been the past few seasons and I'm excited to have TT here.

Most people seem to love the first 3 camelbacks, which I think are great, but I also think that the ride is at its tamest during them. After the cutback this thing launches into another dimension, I swear. I'm kind of surprised with how few people are commenting on it in this regard. I personally far prefer it to anything else in the park and I'm really glad to see how popular it is.

Those three hills may be when the ride is tamest, but the air time is the most sustained during those moments as well. It's a great ride. And every time I leave the park I change my preference changes between I305 and TT. I still notice TT significantly increases in pace as the day goes on, and it gets hotter.

This weekend I was told we could not do half and half macaroni, tots were not an option, you could only get one protein and each extra was $1.99. I was really disappointed in these changes.

Weird. Last week, they said 2 proteins, 4 sauces and unlimited other toppings.