TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Tokyo Disney Resort Discussion Thread

p. 78 - TONS of new Fantasy Springs info!

HOLY MORE EXPANSION, Batman!

Just posted at http://www.tdrexplorer.com:

Largest Ever Expansion Announced for Tokyo DisneySea Opening in 2022

Won't post any more, but the artists' concepts of the "three new ports" looks gorgeous! And all of this, scheduled to open in "fiscal 2022,"

meaning it could all open as late as 2023, is beside what is already being built and opening in.....2020?

And a new hotel, too!

This is obviously The Big Announcement that was scheduled for May......but they took some extra planning time for it, lol.

Which makes it perfect when we hopefully get our travel act together, and get over there by Nov.2025.

disneysea-expansion-1024x512.thumb.jpeg.066b16dafca0734319bdf3bbc6ab6453.jpeg

Frozen's Arendelle, The Tangled Tower and Peter Pan's Skull Rock will all be repped here. Awesome!

Edited by Nrthwnd

^ Here's from what tdr posted:

"Two attractions:

1. Guests fly over the jungles of Neverland and battle with Captain Hook

2. Guests are immersed in the world of Pixie Hollow"

#1 definitely sounds like the old Peter Pan ride. But maybe done

with the new tech and stuff that they used for Shanghai Disneyland's version!

Which then makes me wonder as well, what they're going to do in place of the old PP ride?

And the Tangled area is supposed to have a "gondola ride," so that will be interesting.

This is a whole new area. Bunch of attractions and a park-facing hotel. Here's a better article on Blooloop detailing the new attractions -

https://blooloop.com/news/tokyo-disneysea-expansion-plans/

I was part of the project team for about a half a year. Obviously my life is still signed away but I am beyond excited to see this finally announced. I hope that I can get there sometime in the next 5-10 years!

The Oriental Land Company has officially announced details about the upcoming Tokyo DisneySea expansion opening at the park in 2022! This 8th port will be themed to lands of fantasy inspired by Frozen, Tangled and Peter Pan and will include four new attractions, shops, dining locations and a new in-park hotel! The licensing agreement for the Disney theme parks and other Walt Disney Company licenses have been extended through 2076 so we've got more Tokyo Disney to look forward to well into the future!

DfsHC6GU8AAbrwQ.thumb.jpg.448143d6bcbf24e19372845b97b96490.jpg

Agreement Reached on Plan for Largest Ever

Tokyo DisneySea Expansion Project, Opening in 2022;

The Walt Disney Company Licenses Extended

URAYASU, CHIBA—Oriental Land Co., Ltd. announced that an agreement has been reached with The Walt Disney Company on plans for developing a new themed port at Tokyo DisneySea®, which will also include a new Disney hotel. With this agreement and upon the completion of the Tokyo DisneySea and Tokyo Disneyland® expansions, the licenses for the Disney theme parks and other key licenses between The Walt Disney Company and Oriental Land, which currently run until 2046, will be extended to 2076.

The expansion at Tokyo DisneySea will create an eighth themed port that is inspired by a magical spring leading to a world of Disney fantasy. The themed port will be comprised of three distinct areas recreating the worlds of the Disney films Frozen, Tangled and Peter Pan, as well as a deluxe hotel with a one-of-a-kind luxury wing that will be the most luxurious accommodations ever at Tokyo Disney Resort®. Also, four new attractions will be developed just for this expansion. Operations are projected to begin in fiscal year 2022*. Oriental Land will invest about 250 billion yen in this project, the largest additional investment to date for existing facilities.

Together with the large-scale enhancement of Tokyo Disneyland, scheduled to start operations in 2020, this new project marks a major step in the evolution of Tokyo Disney Resort into a one-of-a-kind themed resort where Guests will enjoy even more magical experiences.

In the 35 years since the Grand Opening of Tokyo Disneyland, Japan has undergone rapid growth and Oriental Land has consistently offered new experiences that can be shared by Guests of all ages that they can only have at Tokyo Disney Resort.

Tokyo DisneySea Large-Scale Expansion Project

193064418_tdlaerialview.JPG.59a25201dc37c93e557519e9e3148266.JPG

1. Overview of “Tokyo DisneySea Large-Scale Expansion Project”

• a. Site to be developed: the Guest parking area adjacent to Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo
    DisneySea, which will be relocated so that the Tokyo DisneySea property can expand
    into that space
  • b. Number of facilities: four attractions, three food facilities, one shop, one hotel
    c. Development area: about 140,000 m
    (about 100,000 m for the theme park and hotel)
  • d. Completion of project: in fiscal year 2022 (tentative)
  • e. Investment amount: about 250 billion yen (tentative)

2. Overview of new themed port

Themed to magical springs that lead to a world of Disney fantasy, the new port will consist of three areas inspired by Disney films that are beloved by Guests of all ages—Frozen, Tangled and Peter Pan. By entering the new themed port and exploring its numerous springs, Guests will discover Anna and Elsa’s kingdom of Arendelle; the forest and tower where Rapunzel lives; and Never Land and—the home of Peter Pan, Tinker Bell and the Lost Boys. Guests will be able to experience these wonderful, fantastical worlds as no one has before.

The four attractions and the Disney hotel have been newly developed expressly for this project. This new themed port is certain to enhance the appeal of Tokyo DisneySea, the only Disney Park themed to the myths and legends of the sea.

Overall View of New Themed Port

Notes:

• The new themed port will be connected to other areas of the Park through a pathway between Arabian
    Coast and Lost River Delta.
  • The image above represents the current concept and is subject to change.

3. Overview of the three areas

F1E496F6-F429-4BAB-ADCC-6FD953317688.jpeg.fee6a4373d76738c38ffc909a25644b0.jpeg

(1) Area themed to the Disney film Frozen

This area is set in Arendelle after the events in the film when Queen Elsa has embraced her magical power to control snow and ice. She has since opened the castle gates so that Guests can freely visit the Kingdom. Located here will be a heartwarming attraction that tells the story of Elsa and her beloved sister, Anna. Guests will board boats and experience the sisters’ heartfelt journey while enjoying iconic songs from the film and encountering surprising thrills. Also located in this area will be a restaurant set inside Arendelle Castle at the foot of beautiful, snow-capped mountains.

E5CA1203-818A-4045-A3B6-E137CECE0190.jpeg.b3809ac21ccccb2833e72de7f2255b84.jpeg

(2) Area themed to the Disney film Tangled

Guests visiting this area will discover Rapunzel’s tower rising above in a charming forest. The area will include an attraction that follows Rapunzel to the lantern festival and a restaurant inspired by the hideout of the humorous band of thugs who appeared in the film. In the attraction, Guests will board gondolas for a romantic boat tour of Rapunzel’s “best day ever” as she journeys with Flynn to the lantern festival. Countless flickering lanterns illuminate the attraction’s climactic scene while Rapunzel and Flynn sing an iconic song from the film, building to an unforgettable finale.

EACAEDD8-39F2-449C-BE52-40AD53A4A346.jpeg.d369713a863a265c402d32caded8c125.jpeg

(3) Area themed to the Disney film Peter Pan

Home to two attractions and a restaurant, the Never Land area will feature landmarks that make that fantastical world so memorable, including verdant mountains, Captain Hook’s pirate ship and Skull Rock. One attraction will fly Guests over the jungles of Never Land into a battle with Captain Hook and his crew of pirates. Guests will join Peter Pan in an adventure to rescue Wendy’s younger brother, John, who has been kidnapped by Captain Hook and his pirates. Guests board boats and follow the Lost Boys down a river. When Tinker Bell sprinkles the boats with pixie dust, Guests find themselves flying through Never Land on an unprecedented adventure that features iconic music and dynamic 3D imagery of the characters from the film.

A second attraction immerses Guests in the oversized world of Pixie Hollow where Tinker Bell and her fairy friends live and work. The restaurant is inspired by the Lost Boys and their hideout, affording lovely views of Never Land that Guests can enjoy while they dine.

2C41302B-B193-44A5-B5DA-9BF5D6B4FBF5.jpeg.e2a707e4cf620662d5c2f39e1e4fc79f.jpeg

(4) Overview of the Disney hotel

Themed to Disney fantasy, the new Disney hotel will be located inside the Park. The hotel will rise above and around the magical springs that serve as the core of the new themed port’s story. Park-facing rooms will provide beautiful views of the port’s majestic landscape, affording Guests a magical experience that can only be had at this hotel. The Disney hotel will offer 475 deluxe-type and luxury-type guest rooms, with the latter providing the finest accommodations in Tokyo Disney Resort. A merchandise shop that helps share the story of the magical springs will be found on the hotel’s first floor, facing the Park.

(5) Facility Details

(As of the date of this release. Details subject to change.)

Area themed to Frozen

• One attraction
  • One restaurant

Area themed to Tangled

• One attraction
  • One restaurant

Area themed to Peter Pan

• Two attractions
  • One restaurant

Merchandise facility

• One shop

Disney hotel

• Guest Rooms: 475
  • Facilities: Two restaurants
  • One lobby lounge
  • One parking area
  • Other facilities

Note: This information is subject to change.

Edited by jedimaster1227

Located here will be a heartwarming attraction that tells the story of Elsa and her beloved sister, Anna. Guests will board boats and experience the sisters’ heartfelt journey while enjoying iconic songs from the film and encountering surprising thrills. Also located in this area will be a restaurant set inside Arendelle Castle at the foot of beautiful, snow-capped mountains.

A clone of Epcot's boat ride perhaps? Although I'd love to see Tokyo do something with the technology of Shanghai's Pirates ride. Perhaps that will be for Rapunzel's boat ride.

Located here will be a heartwarming attraction that tells the story of Elsa and her beloved sister, Anna. Guests will board boats and experience the sisters’ heartfelt journey while enjoying iconic songs from the film and encountering surprising thrills. Also located in this area will be a restaurant set inside Arendelle Castle at the foot of beautiful, snow-capped mountains.

A clone of Epcot's boat ride perhaps? Although I'd love to see Tokyo do something with the technology of Shanghai's Pirates ride. Perhaps that will be for Rapunzel's boat ride.

Its is extremely unlikely that this new ride will be a clone of the ride in EPCOT. Not that it couldn't be the same ride system, but to build a clone, when you have the ability to make it better seems unlikely. Also....this is Japan...it will be done better. LOL

Y'all beat me to it and I live here, but yes!! After reading the OLC announcement I was so hyped because I at first assumed 2 attractions would go to Frozen, not Peter Pan!! I don't think the main Neverland ride will be at all like PPF at Disneyland, it will probably be the closest thing to a thrill ride in this new port since the other three attractions will be much tamer boat rides. Frozen will almost definitely be a heavily modified clone of Epcot's with a modern ride system and additional scenes. Tangled is going to be straight up gorgeous!! But wow wow wow this is wonderful news!

^It sounds kind of like it will take a Midway Mania interactive approach since it's talking about "battling" and 3D rendering, but I'm hoping the ride system will be a bit more dynamic in conjunction with that compared to something like Midway Mania (maybe something akin to the vehicles on Spiderman or Transformers?)

But overall seriously awesome news, definitely worth waiting two extra weeks for!

Its is extremely unlikely that this new ride will be a clone of the ride in EPCOT. Not that it couldn't be the same ride system, but to build a clone, when you have the ability to make it better seems unlikely. Also....this is Japan...it will be done better. LOL

I look at the following line of the press release for direction as to whether any of this would have come from an existing installation...

The four attractions and the Disney hotel have been newly developed expressly for this project. This new themed port is certain to enhance the appeal of Tokyo DisneySea, the only Disney Park themed to the myths and legends of the sea.

At most, I think you'll see the animatronic and show technologies developed for Frozen Ever After and Shanghai's attractions put to use in the development of these new attractions. I can't imagine you'll see carbon copies of anything when language like this indicates that this is truly new development exclusively for Tokyo.

What I'm more curious about is what will happen to Peter Pan's Flight in Fantasyland at Tokyo Disneyland once this area opens... It would be redundant to have this ride and two more rides in Tokyo DisneySea.

Ooooo, that's right! I forgot that they had a Peter Pan ride. And this new ride does have a similar storyline So, I would bet it closes and a new ride come to that spot!

I am sure some purests will be angry at this thought... but the peter pan rides, though fun and unique, are kinda silly. The DL one gets a pass; it was the first, and crammed into a small space. But, all the other ones had the ability to be something much better, and different. And, they really aren't. So, I am really hoping this new ride will be just that! And the old ride gets gutted! lol.

There were recent rumors (or actual plans? I forget) to put a Mary Poppins dark ride with the UK pavilion at EPCOT.

Maybe they might put a clone of it, into the space where Peter Pan is/was in TDL? After the other Pan attraction is

built and opened at TDS?

Since David and I weren't planning to get there until 2025, after this new expansion is built, there might even be another

expansion announced by 2022 (ooooo Maybe that -now- unused other corner of TDS? And the then-vacated PP space in DL?), and

we'll be looking at several new "Lands" and attractions/shows/eats/shops to enjoy, besides all the other awesome stuff there! Whew!

Edited by Nrthwnd

How does Tangled/Rapunzel fit into the whole Sea concept?

I have no doubt that this project is going to end up being nothing short of amazing, but it feels like it would fit way better into the new Fantasyland area.

I'm not sure how I feel about merging the two parks unique identities like this. The new area even borders on Disneyland's Fantasyland section so it feels like they could have easily decided that it would just be part of the new Fantasyland expansion instead.

I'm still excited though. Disneysea is my favorite park and I'm sure this will make it even more amazing!

Well, apparently the "back story" of all of this, rests with a Magic Springs suddenly opening up out of the ground,

turning into a waterway, which fills various other waterways-to-be, etc. I thought it might be a runoff river from

the main waterway around TDS. It still might. And the public entry/exit pathway of this, appears to only be between

Raging Spirits and the Magic Carpets attraction. And for those who stay at the new hotel, too.

Plans can change of course, but that's the best connect I can give you, for now. It could have been called DisneyWaters, right?

P.S. Anybody notice, like I did, that this is a rather big number of "boat rides" opening, all at once? Just curious about this, and each ride's use.

disneysea-expansion-hotel-800x442.jpg.d560a3ddb4e735a7720e5b42bc0796be.jpg

And By The Way...what IS that...thing on the right there, of the new hotel, in the concept art? Looks like something out of OZ.....nice. (o;

Well, apparently the "back story" of all of this, rests with a Magic Springs suddenly opening up out of the ground,

turning into a waterway, which fills various other waterways-to-be, etc. I thought it might be a runoff river from

the main waterway around TDS. It still might. And the public entry/exit pathway of this, appears to only be between

Raging Spirits and the Magic Carpets attraction. And for those who stay at the new hotel, too.

Plans can change of course, but that's the best connect I can give you, for now. It could have been called DisneyWaters, right?

P.S. Anybody notice, like I did, that this is a rather big number of "boat rides" opening, all at once? Just curious about this, and each ride's use.

Honestly when you look into it Arabian Coast is 99% Agrahbah from Aladdin which isn't exactly a coastal city, and the only ride in that land that fits the sea theme is Sindbad. I like the backstory they've provided, it already makes far more sense than Toyville Trolley Park in American Waterfront! And with Neverland the sea is very prominent (y'know all dem pirates and stuff), maybe less with Frozen/Tangled but we're getting 3 BOAT RIDES. TDR doesn't play around with boat rides they got the best Splash Mountain, the best Small World, Pirates with all the original scenes (yes they still wants the redhead and chase the women), and SINDBAD THE GOAT. DisneySea + boat rides is a big deal!!!! Also DisneySea ironically needs a flume/shute the choots and Frozen could fill that void!

You guys....the Pan Boat ride will likely NOT be a boat ride. Though, you're in a Boat Gondola, it's flying. It basically sounds like a different/updated version of the current ride at the park. So, it's really only two boat rides. And, I'd guess Frozen will be the thrilling one, and Tangled will be the Gentle one.

The Peter Pan one is interesting because of the line "3D imagery". Sets + screens? Their take on Universal's screen rides? Pixie Hollow sounds like a walk thought / meet and greet. Frozen is interesting, maybe the thrill aspect of it is more in line with Splash Mt. than say POTC? One can hope.

And there is no doubt it will be physically stunning. That hotel though, pretty amazing exterior. Next level design there.

It would be very cool, if Disney could re-figure out (and refine) the tech below, so that the Peter Pan boats

would appear to be floating down a river, and then magically rising up above, and "into the sky" etc.

Possible I suppose. A lot of double track work, definitely. But no above-the-boat suspension rail, either.

FILE0284.jpg.320e9683c24dc4d0375891ce0357afe2.jpg

Just an idea that sort of works for "flying". (o;

Imagine what the morning rush at TDS will look like once this new port is open. It's going to be a very long sprint from the entrance gate. The guests coming in from the new hotel will probably be able to get several rides in before the regular guests start making their way into the very back of the park.