TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

They should unload on the breaks on Yolo, the train is sitting there before they are even close to loading the one in the station

I completely agree. Xcelerator would also benefit from this, but I doubt either park would make it happen.

It's crazy to stand there and watch the 2nd car sit on the brakes for ages while they mess around with the unload/load at the station.

really inefficient design. wether it was bad design/engineering, or, a park constraint, i don't know.

What’s even wrong with Revolution? Is it that serious to where it won’t be operating during july 4 weekend. Also, what’s going on with GL too?

Rev: Chain replacement so who knows how long it will take.

GL: something big, it won’t be open for a very very long time. Essentially SBNO status now.

When did Rev even go down? I’d imagine I’m not missing much with GL as its basically just a more painful version of the Free Spins

So I visited SFMM for the first time ever a few days ago. I'd never really spoken to someone who'd been there, or seen what it was like. I'd heard stuff about X2 and Twisted Collossus but that's about this.

I absolutely loved the park. Coming from the UK, it's so amazing to be able to ride so many different types of coasters, especially growing up playing RCT2 and seeing the Six Flags scenarios on it.

Absolute favourite was Twisted Collossus. It's my first RMC and I thought it was amazing - the airtime and the racing element is fantastic - all we have here is Grand National at Blackpool Pleasure Beach (also love that ride). The ride operators were really trying hard to get it racing, giving constant countdowns and pressure on people to get in and ready.

Unfortunately on 2 of our rides, ONE passenger screwed it up (one time it was someone who put their restraints down while wearing a hat, the other tried to bring their bag onboard) - however on the 2nd lap, we got races both times.

After riding Eejanaika at Fuji-Q, riding X2 was a big step down - the seats on X2 seem to rotate back and forth constantly in a pretty violent way - Eejanaika was really good for us - intense but the rotating seats felt much better on that ride. On X2 your legs get whipped back and forth into the bottom of the seat. Enjoyed it but found Eejanaika a lot better.

We found all of the B&M coasters quite boring really - some of the worst examples.

Drop of Doom was great (my first Intamin drop tower barring Falcons Fury)

The rest of the coasters were fun, we liked Tatsu and Superman.

I see what people are talking about operations, most of the queues were 15-20 minutes but the queue for Superman took over an hour, with a pretty short queue. X2 was run pretty badly too, lots of empty seats on all rides too.

Managed to get on everything and then had 2 hours spare to re-ride, that was arriving before opening and leaving at closing time.

* Except Revolution and Green Lantern, both closed

They should unload on the breaks on Yolo, the train is sitting there before they are even close to loading the one in the station

I completely agree. Xcelerator would also benefit from this, but I doubt either park would make it happen.

It's crazy to stand there and watch the 2nd car sit on the brakes for ages while they mess around with the unload/load at the station.

really inefficient design. wether it was bad design/engineering, or, a park constraint, i don't know.

Anecdotes have it Six Flags had Premier shorten the length of the original design to cut costs. Not sure how true it is, but does sound like something they'd do

So I visited SFMM for the first time ever a few days ago. I'd never really spoken to someone who'd been there, or seen what it was like. I'd heard stuff about X2 and Twisted Collossus but that's about this.

I absolutely loved the park. Coming from the UK, it's so amazing to be able to ride so many different types of coasters, especially growing up playing RCT2 and seeing the Six Flags scenarios on it.

Absolute favourite was Twisted Collossus. It's my first RMC and I thought it was amazing - the airtime and the racing element is fantastic - all we have here is Grand National at Blackpool Pleasure Beach (also love that ride). The ride operators were really trying hard to get it racing, giving constant countdowns and pressure on people to get in and ready.

Unfortunately on 2 of our rides, ONE passenger screwed it up (one time it was someone who put their restraints down while wearing a hat, the other tried to bring their bag onboard) - however on the 2nd lap, we got races both times.

After riding Eejanaika at Fuji-Q, riding X2 was a big step down - the seats on X2 seem to rotate back and forth constantly in a pretty violent way - Eejanaika was really good for us - intense but the rotating seats felt much better on that ride. On X2 your legs get whipped back and forth into the bottom of the seat. Enjoyed it but found Eejanaika a lot better.

We found all of the B&M coasters quite boring really - some of the worst examples.

The rest of the coasters were fun, we liked Tatsu and Superman.

I see what people are talking about operations, most of the queues were 15-20 minutes but the queue for Superman took over an hour, with a pretty short queue. X2 was run pretty badly too, lots of empty seats on all rides too.

Managed to get on everything and then had 2 hours spare to re-ride, that was arriving before opening and leaving at closing time.

* Except Revolution and Green Lantern, both closed

I'm glad you had fun. SFMM has some room for improvement (particularly in its operations), but overall, it's a great park. Even after visiting some other parks recently, Twisted Colossus is still one of my favorite coasters, and has some of the best operations in the park.

It's quite the adrenaline rush! Are they only running with the VR or could you choose to ride without?

I rode Drop of Doom this afternoon. VR is optional; part of the thrill of this ride is the view from the top, so I chose to forgo it. It seemed like at least half of the riders did the same.

One nice thing about VR on this ride is that it doesn't seem to slow down operations as much as it did on Revolution. Since everyone sits in the same row, the ride ops can move more quickly down the line to check headsets.

It's quite the adrenaline rush! Are they only running with the VR or could you choose to ride without?

You as the rider have a choice with or without VR. I like reality, so I don't need VR. The view on either side is awesome. I didn't use it when it was on Rev. I think it's time is limited. Just my observation, nothing to back it up. Several reasons for this. I was at MM the past 4 days and I really love the drop on Lex. I was watching how many people used the VR headsets and I'd guess greater than 65% went without the headsets. My other reason is those phones don't like the summer heat. They'll start to act up, so I'm thinking and hoping they go away soon. I miss my single rider line there.

Anecdotes have it Six Flags had Premier shorten the length of the original design to cut costs. Not sure how true it is, but does sound like something they'd do

While it sounds like something they'd do, it also makes absolutely no sense from a park's marketing point of view.

You're already investing millions of dollars into a ride! You're paying for engineering, design, landscaping, a launch system, new trains, footers, and track. How much more could it possibly cost to make Full Throttle another 1,000 feet long and have a helix, or some airtime hills around High Sierra Territory to make the ride 100 times better? Ugh this kind of stuff drives me nutso!

^ Because that was not the style of ride they wanted. If you removed the terrain from around Full throttle, what would be revealed is a very close cousin to the Premier Sky Rocket II featuring a giant Loop/Top Hat element in the middle of it. It was never meant to be much more than that, but it's the size of that loop that gives the illusion some something much more. No one ever asks why there isn't more to Superman up at SFDK, but we do because of the park involved and the ride that it replaced.

I'm surprised that it didn't actually close today as that was the target date. We'll see what happens now, hopefully we'll get answers soon!

Revolution will almost certainly reopen before Green Lantern. There is supposedly some litigation going on with Green Lantern right now that hasn't finished. I'm assuming the park will reopen the ride at some point considering they have been very slowly working on it, but I have yet to hear any type of timetable for the ride.

...But let's be honest, does anyone really miss Green Lantern?

Talked to a few Bay employees yesterday who said they've been reassigned new areas starting July 6th. So maybe that when it's happening.

I'm surprised that it didn't actually close today as that was the target date. We'll see what happens now, hopefully we'll get answers soon!

Revolution will almost certainly reopen before Green Lantern. There is supposedly some litigation going on with Green Lantern right now that hasn't finished. I'm assuming the park will reopen the ride at some point considering they have been very slowly working on it, but I have yet to hear any type of timetable for the ride.

...But let's be honest, does anyone really miss Green Lantern?

Talked to a few Bay employees yesterday who said they've been reassigned new areas starting July 6th. So maybe that when it's happening.

It wIll be interesting to hear what SFMM is going to do with this area. Will be at the park on Wednesday with youth group if any TPR peep's want to hang out?

Looking at CraZanity versus Harley Quinn at SFNE, I wonder why Zamperla changed the pendulum arm to square instead of circle for CraZanity but left it as tubular for Harley Quinn.

I always figured those were just covers for the actual structural post so they could do whatever worked cosmetically for the theming.

^Even the connection is square compared to Harley Quinn, it's little nuances like that I love. I just wish I knew the reasoning because it interests me a lot.

Here's Harley Quinn

3_1.jpg

And here's CraZanity

screenshot_20180609-190328.png

So the whole swinging mechanism on CraZanity is square whereas Harley's is tubular.

EDIT: I just read that CraZanity is a record breaker, so that's probably why it's different since it's a larger model.

So the whole swinging mechanism on CraZanity is square whereas Harley's is tubular.

EDIT: I just read that CraZanity is a record breaker, so that's probably why it's different since it's a larger model.

Could just be easier to manufacture too. I don't think it'll change anything though, and that's what really matters.

^ That's a California thing. Railblazer just opened in Mid June, Harley Quinn Still isn't open at SFDK, Kung Fu Panda at Universal opens later this week and so forth. California has always had a flexible construction and opening schedule...because they can.