TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

There are a ton of Cedar Point reviews being done this year with Steel Vengeance. I was wondering if any of you would be interested in my review that would include the Run and Ride series over the weekend and Brews and BBQ this year.

A review of Brew and BBQ would be much appreciated! I've been trying to figure out whether or not its worth it.

There are a ton of Cedar Point reviews being done this year with Steel Vengeance. I was wondering if any of you would be interested in my review that would include the Run and Ride series over the weekend and Brews and BBQ this year.

A review of Brew and BBQ would be much appreciated! I've been trying to figure out whether or not its worth it.

Short version absolutely, especially if you're a passholder or staying on property and you buy early.

Short version absolutely, especially if you're a passholder or staying on property and you buy early.

I also agree! It was great for the value and even more if you were staying onsite or passholder. I also got a free 12oz beer along with the 15 tickets.

BTW....Mind blown by SV! It's my new #1!

The Run and Ride was great also, it was packed and loved my time! I'm hoping to do it again next but depends on my wedding in May 2019!

I also agree! It was great for the value and even more if you were staying onsite or passholder. I also got a free 12oz beer along with the 15 tickets.

Thanks! I've gotten that vibe from everyone who has done it, but is there any BBQ/Beer you recommend in particular?

Just wondering if somebody has the answer to this: why are Iron Dragon and Gatekeeper ALWAYS listed as closed on queue-times.com? Are they actually closed all the time or is it a problem with the website?

Just wondering if somebody has the answer to this: why are Iron Dragon and Gatekeeper ALWAYS listed as closed on queue-times.com? Are they actually closed all the time or is it a problem with the website?
Problem with the website. The times on the site are also not accurate. Some of the rides will be less, and others will be more. It is kind of all over the place, but both of those rides have been operating most of the time this year.

It's actually a problem with the CP app, which the website uses as the source. When I was there last week, I didn't use the app at all because it was so inaccurate. At one point while waiting through a TTD breakdown, I compared what the app was saying with my brother and someone else standing in line. Mine didn't say anything for any rides except that 2 of them were closed, my brother's showed that everything was open and had a zero minute wait, and the other person next to us showed everything was closed. So even for 3 people standing next to each other with data that the app claimed was up to date, it was different for each us.

I don't know if this Cedar Point video from 1984 has already been shared somewhere in the previous 44,000+ posts? I did a search on TPR, but it didn't show any matches. Whatever the case, check this out:
I almost forgot about those rides like the Edge and Demon Drop.

Ahhh... Memories of the 80's at Cedar Point! My first visit to The Point was the year before that video, 1983, as a 4 year old, and I still vividly remember so many things from that day. Honestly, it's a lot of my earlier memories in life! I guess that could be why it's had such a place in my heart all my life! I didn't ride the Demon Drop that early along (doubt I was tall enough to), but Frontier Trail/Town, the Frontier Lift, White Water Landing (I'm not nearly as into flumes as coasterbill, but I will admit that seeing it in that video brought me feelings of the many fun rides I had on it, and a longing for its return - though obviously not at the expense of Maverick! lol), and smaller thrills like The Earthquake Ride, and Sky Slide, as well as Kiddieland and the super fun Kid Arthur's Court, of course, are fond memories of that year's visit! I also vaguely recall seeing The Rotor, though I didn't ride it there, I don't think. Anybody notice Wildcat in the background behind Demon Drop? SO many things have been in that spot where GateKeeper now resides, over the years, and that whole midway, in fact, seems to have endured the most transitions of any at CP over my years of attendance. Thanks for sharing that video, and providing a trip down memory lane!

Quick question - for Steel Vengeance, do ride ops assign seats at the station?

We have FL+, so I'm curious if the merge point being at the station causes a mess or if they do assignments (which is also a bummer if we're trying to ride in the back).

We have FL+, so I'm curious if the merge point being at the station causes a mess or if they do assignments (which is also a bummer if we're trying to ride in the back).

They were assigning seats when I was there but if you asked nicely they will try to put you where you want. If anything say you will wait for the next train. It did look like if there are too many people waiting for the front the will tell you no but both times I asked for the back they let me in row 11 and 10 when they were still filling up the front of the train. Wouldn't let a single rider in the last row though

Yes they do assign seats at the station. From what I saw last Friday using FL+, those guests were being assigned seats near the back. Not sure how they handle specific requests as it seemed most guests just wanted to get on and weren't complaining about where they sat. My second ride was in row 11, so I was technically in the last car.

I know I'm in the minority, but I do feel that "Steel Vengeance 1 is too intense for me". My first ride was of the "what in the world just happened?" variety. My second ride I was ready for the ride to end before we hit the final turnaround. There's just too much ejector air, which I guess this old body isn't as big of a fan of as I thought.

Well I finally got to Cedar Point this past weekend and it was everything I hoped it would be and then some. It was the greatest day I’ve ever had at a theme park. Steel Vengence is the best coaster I have ever ridden (my legs still hurt today). Fast lane is the greatest invention of all time, it allowed me to basically marathon Steel Vengence on a busy Saturday! 7 rides in total and every ride was better than the last. All of the other legendary coasters lived up to the hype and I can’t wait to get back when I can. BBQ and Brews festival was amazing too, you basically get six beers for $25! For theme park pricing that is astonishing.

In my 18 rides on Steel Vengeance last week I asked for a specific row probably 13 or 14 times and was never told no. Sometimes they were assigning FL+ to the back and sometimes to the front, it wasn't consistent. I rode in the front once and in rows 8-12 the other 17 times, the majority of them being in the back car. It's definitely a back seat ride for me.

For some of my trip we were a group of 3 instead of 4 and a couple times when we requested the back and the last row was empty, they would say to put the single rider in row 11. Not sure if it was just who was working or if it's actually a rule. There really isn't much difference between the last two rows though.

^ That's a good point. The groupers that I saw did seem to do a pretty good job of matching odd numbered groups and single riders to try to completely fill every train. The whole crew on Steel Vengeance was very good every time I rode it. They were often ready to dispatch with 20+ seconds left on the countdown.

The whole Steel Vengeance crew was absolutely fantastic when I was there. I never saw an empty seat on any train. I had one ride where the grouper was openly asking where people (at least in the FL+ line) wanted to ride, but I think part of that was because they had the last 4 rows roped off for people accessibility passes. When he asked, I immediately said back because there was no one in line back there, he then informed me that it was roped off for said reason, but offered to let us wait for it and we were a group of 3. We chose not to since we could get right on in rows 7 and 8.

I"ll also give a shout out to the Gatekeeper crew. That crew hauls a**. They were constantly dispatching trains before the train on the course had even went through the keyholes.

Wouldn't let a single rider in the last row though

That's interesting... I was a single rider and was given back row about a month ago.

I was just at CP yesterday by myself and they let me choose back row. I think it just depends on the person.