TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I really with this park (and every park) would follow Busch Tampa and Disney's format and post their ride refurb schedules for people planning visits. It seems like a simple enough thing to do and I really appreciate it when parks do it.

That would require the park itself to have a refurb schedule... so that’s probably not happening anytime soon. All we’ve been told about Full Throttle’s second train is “soon”, and that was 3 weeks ago.

I just never understood why they insist on performing lengthy rehabs smack dab in the middle of peak season. I get that they're a year-round park with a lot of rides, but having some of your marquee rides closed or operating at a limited capacity in the middle of July? Really?

Seems like nothing has changed in 15 years since I worked there. Still have a terribly undermanned cycle shop for train refurbishments.

What department did you work in? I was working in the Entertainment department 15 years ago.

Edited by AllenA07

I just never understood why they insist on performing lengthy rehabs smack dab in the middle of peak season. I get that they're a year-round park with a lot of rides, but having some of your marquee rides closed or operating at a limited capacity in the middle of July? Really?
I would hardly call these the parks marquee rides. To be far those are TC, X2, Tatsu, Goliath, Full Throttle, and Superman. I would say that the rest of the roller coasters support those. If one of those 6 were down for any length of time during peak season, that would be an issue.

I would hardly call these the parks marquee rides. To be far those are TC, X2, Tatsu, Goliath, YOLOcoaster, and Superman. I would say that the rest of the roller coasters support those. If one of those 6 were down for any length of time during peak season, that would be an issue.

I was speaking more as a whole, not this year or any year specifically. The last time I was at the park was mid-July 2013, only a year after Lex Luthor opened, however Lex was being rehabbed the entire week I was there. That's about as marquee as it got at the time, and that's not the only example over the years. Even a simple heads up would be nice, like Bill said, so it's not a roll of the dice.

I would hardly call these the parks marquee rides. To be far those are TC, X2, Tatsu, Goliath, YOLOcoaster, and Superman. I would say that the rest of the roller coasters support those. If one of those 6 were down for any length of time during peak season, that would be an issue.

goliath is looking at you.

I was speaking more as a whole, not this year or any year specifically. The last time I was at the park was mid-July 2013, only a year after Lex Luthor opened, however Lex was being rehabbed the entire week I was there. That's about as marquee as it got at the time, and that's not the only example over the years. Even a simple heads up would be nice, like Bill said, so it's not a roll of the dice.

Six Flags does say that an attraction is temporarily closed on the website. Of course this is not always 100% accurate. Currently Green Lantern and the Revolution are noted that they are closed.

Full Throttle has been down to 1 train for months. All I’ve heard from my leads and supervisors is that they are behind schedule and that the second one should be back Soon™️. Yay summer refurbs.

YOLOcoaster has been down to 1 train for months. All I’ve heard from my leads and supervisors is that they are behind schedule and that the second one should be back Soon™️. Yay summer refurbs.

Yeah I have noticed that it has been 1 train the last few times I was at the park. I figured it would be back to 2 for the summer season. I always do this ride first and I am a gold member. I don't think I would wait for it unless I could knock it out right away.

I was there on Monday and yolo coaster was still down to one train. And the whole cyclone Bay are was still open. I mean the only thing back there is apocalypse and the little sad feeling ice cream place. Hopefully that are gets something big for 2019. By the way, now that the structure for crazanity is up, does anyone know how long it has to test for?

What’s even wrong with Revolution? Is it that serious to where it won’t be operating during july 4 weekend. Also, what’s going on with GL too?

Rev: Chain replacement so who knows how long it will take.

GL: something big, it won’t be open for a very very long time. Essentially SBNO status now.

I was there on Monday and yolo coaster was still down to one train. And the whole cyclone Bay are was still open. I mean the only thing back there is apocalypse and the little sad feeling ice cream place. Hopefully that are gets something big for 2019. By the way, now that the structure for crazanity is up, does anyone know how long it has to test for?

The main structure may be up, but there's still a ways to go. Most of the groundwork around the ride is nowhere complete, and most importantly, the actual vehicle disk isn't even in place on the arm yet. If I had to guess on an opening time frame, I'd estimate the end of the month.

The main structure may be up, but there's still a ways to go. Most of the groundwork around the ride is nowhere complete, and most importantly, the actual vehicle disk isn't even in place on the arm yet. If I had to guess on an opening time frame, I'd estimate the end of the month.

i've seen images with the seats installed yesterday. but yeah, definitely a lot to do still. more concrete!

Yolo is one of the worst rides to have 1 train on, the capacity is barely satisfactory with 2 trains.

I actually beg to differ. Full Throttle one train vs two train operation isn't SUPER different (kinda like Xcelerator). By the time one train parks in the station and unloads, the other one has already hit the brake run. It running two trains isn't the biggest capacity difference, whereas rides like Goliath, X2, or Twisted Colossus with two trains is a MUCH bigger difference since the rides are much longer, so there is a bigger gap between trains loading/unloading.

They should unload on the breaks on Yolo, the train is sitting there before they are even close to loading the one in the station

I completely agree. Xcelerator would also benefit from this, but I doubt either park would make it happen.

It's crazy to stand there and watch the 2nd car sit on the brakes for ages while they mess around with the unload/load at the station.