TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

There is talk on reddit.com about extreme swaying on Steel Vengeance. The ride was down a few hours in the morning and there were several engineers watching the structure......Did anybody notice heavy swaying on that coaster as well?

Wonder what they might do about it.....

QUOTE from reddit.com:

[Looks like a few engineers watching the ride pretty closely. The inversion under the lift hill is swaying pretty badly. I’d imagine that’s what they were working on earlier today. Still running as normal at the moment.

Heel_Paul • 4h

a board fell from about that area on Monday. I hope to Christ this ride isn't ripping itself apart. ☹️

fumar • 9h

When I was there last week both inversions were swaying after the train came through but the bad part was the turn between the inversions. That turn was shaking like crazy after every train. There's also some compression on the first drop but that looked just like what happens the bottom of Goliath's dive loop. (I spent a lot of time in the infield last week)

The amount of shaking is really concerning to me. It makes me think of the videos of son of beast. It would suck if they had to put trims in before the mcbr.

mynameisntjeffrey • 6h

How does the coaster swaying compare to something like this part of this lightning rod video? I feel like the above is normal.

If you want to see some real crazy swaying watch this video of the original rattler.

ginger_man_9001I305 >> Fury (101) • 5h

Engineer here. I was riding it yesterday and noticed it was swaying pretty bad in the turnaround. Not surprised they are concerned about it. I hope their solution is not to trim the drop. Hopefully additional bracing will be a more economical solution.

jhoosteenSteel Vengeance, Lightning Rod, Storm Chaser • 5h

I was able to find this on Instagram. It does move quite a bit, but I wouldn’t say it’s much worse than Lightning Rod’s last turn (Not my video)

https://instagram.com/p/BjfhBTvhtwH/

fumar • 2h

That part doesn't seem bad and neither does the first drop (even though that's where they were looking at this morning). The first inversion shakes more and the turnaround shakes a ton.

shanew21 • 9h

Yes it’s the same part that we were watching. It was more swaying than I had seen on a coaster before. What concerned me is the backstage truck with 3 employees/engineers staring at that exact spot. I’m sure it’s not supposed to be happening to that extent.

texx2818 • 8h

They were working on the drop this morning.]

When I was there last week both inversions were swaying after the train came through but the bad part was the turn between the inversions. .]

I was at the park yesterday and when I was driving by SV to park in the Shores lot there were multiple trucks with people on lifts ( if that’s what they are called) looking at this exact spot. SV eventually did open with 2 trains and I got 2 rides. The MCBR was pretty heavily trimmed but that has nothing to do with the section in question. The speed into the MCBR was by far the fastest I have ever experienced and I’ve been on it over 30 times now.

Maybe RMC is really getting close to the line of what coasters actually can and can’t do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For all we know, this is very likely fine (we’re not coaster engineers) but Coasters receiving additional bracing after opening is a ridiculously common occurance (wood or steel).

Hell, the Knoebels Twister got it THIS YEAR after being open for decades, Lost Gravity got it, Wicked Twister got it, this happens all the time and isn’t a big deal.

Edit: Hey, that rhymes...

For all we know, this is very likely fine (we’re not coaster engineers) but Coasters receiving additional bracing after opening is a ridiculously common occurance (wood or steel).

Hell, the Knoebels Twister got it THIS YEAR after being open for decades, Lost Gravity got it, Wicked Twister got it, this happens all the time and isn’t a big deal.

Edit: Hey, that rhymes...

CoasterBill this is why I enjoy your posts. I get tired of people jumping to extreme conclusions (just like the train issue) and thinking they have engineering degrees. Like you said, all we know it is fine and like you said it is not uncommon to see additional supports after it opens.

Hopefully this evening I will get my first ride on SV. Brews and BBQ bought for tomorrow and looking forward to the weekend at the park. Hopefully the storms stay away.

Yeah it’s most likely fine, They wouldn’t have opened it if it wasn’t. But I think it’s certainly something to be aware of.

Exactly. It is open and running this morning. If something was structurally wrong or there was a potential safety issue CP would not be running it.

I’m not a structural engineering (mechanical) but I bet on paper the structure was designed properly, using properties for that type of wood (southern yellow pine?) which has all the design properties you would expect from steel… Modulus of elasticity, yield strengths, density, etc… All things taken into consideration when designing structures for deflection and load stresses.

However, this is a retrofit. The wood that was used on much of the existing structure is 27 years old. Weathered, in use for many years. Likely, the structural properties of that wood has changed from the “norm”. Unless they pulled out wood in use and had it tested to reinforce their calculations, they could only estimate per-say the properties given the material.

So again, while on paper this structure may have been acceptable and all deflection was taken into account… If that wood is less stiff than theoretical, now the structure begins to flex a bit more. The train may got a little faster than anticipated per design as well, adding additional loading as well on the structure.

Overbuilding is expensive and often unnecessary. Now that (at least it is assumed) the structure is deflecting more than anticipated, they will find ways to reinforce it from causing damage long-term, or worse, critical failure.

As mentioned previously, this happens. Structural medications occur even with new rides, let alone retrofits which are likely far more difficult in this case.

Just my .02 though, correct or not I have no clue. Just an educated guess.

All this talk of the structure being looked at is making me nervous. I always thought that wood structure was supposed to have some give in it? We are supposed to be going again on Monday, and I am just hoping this coaster is open. I'd like to get a few more rides in.

^ I wouldn’t worry. I was worried yesterday that it wouldn’t open and it did, eventually. And apparently today it’s open. If there was anything wrong at all it would not be open.

I wouldn't really say that the structure sways but it definitely gives a bit in some areas when a train comes through. But none of us know whether or not that was anticipated or what is acceptable. I wouldn't be worried about it at all.

The turn between the first two inversions has the most movement on the ride. But it's also quite isolated from the connecting points, so the movement at the connection is minimal. Unless the ride was causing things to come loose or fracture, there isn't very much to be concerned about.

Do any of you guys know if row 5 on Millennium Force is the best row? I found a documentary on youtube and this guy said so. Usually I'm a back row guy.

I got 15 rides on the 3 days I visited in May. I must say that I perferred the back row the best. 2 of the rides were front row. I did about half to slightly over half in the back 2-3 rows and I found the back row to be the most enjoyable ride. But then again I thought the back row was the best for SV and Maverick as well. I like one of the back 3 rows for Magnum. I like the front row for TTD and Gatekeeper front what it is worth.

^Didn't watch the video, but I do like hearing about unexpected recommended rows, so I might keep that in mind. For what it's worth, I've also seen praise for row 9 (5-1).

He did say 5-1 in the video. I interpreted it as row 5, but 5th car first row makes sense since it would be closer to the middle than row 5. I guess I will have to try many seats. Thanks for the responses.

re: MF

It's fantastic in the back row.. but the "sweet seat" recommended to me, by TBPony, and she's absolutely correct:

2nd to last row, bay-side

perfection in that row. Once I tried it? it's the only seat I rode in for the rest of my visit

It's fantastic in the back row.. but the "sweet seat" recommended to me, by TBPony, and she's absolutely correct:

perfection in that row. Once I tried it? it's the only seat I rode in for the rest of my visit

Okay but if you keep telling people that, I won't be able to sneak in behind the 8-2 people who basically block the 9-2 line so no one ever waits for 9-1.

Okay but if you keep telling people that, I won't be able to sneak in behind the 8-2 people who basically block the 9-2 line so no one ever waits for 9-1.

LOL. . so I take it you agree?

I was at the park all day and Steel Vengeance was operating all day with the exception of a 20 minute hiccup when the chain stopped. Awesome ride! The MCBR was either off or minimally trimming the ride. Made no difference and I couldn't feel any slowing.

As for that swaying, I noticed it as well. Most noticeable on the first inversion and the turnaround after it. I wouldn't say it's a problem because swaying is supposed to be normal. It was also operating with both trains so obviously there is no immediate hazard. But, whatever happens, happens.

Also some funny GP comments I overheard on the line:

"Wow I think this just opened this year so it has to be awesome!"

"The line is 15 minutes right?"

"Look at the trains... there are no restraints and it goes upside down!"

"Yeah it's running three trains right now."

"Goliath at SFGA only has seatbelts and no lap bars so it's quite different from Steel Vengeance."