TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

It really annoys me when people want to RMC a wooden coaster the moment it starts getting a little bit rough.

That actually has very little to do with why I think it should be RMC'd. I just think Hershey has a near-perfect line-up of coasters and if one of their (four) wooden coasters had to be RMC'd to create an even more perfect line-up, then let it be Wildcat. I don't think its as particularly bad as most enthusiasts think but I don't find all that much about it that is interesting or worth saving.

I could understand getting butthurt about anyone wanting Comet (or even Lightning Racer) RMC'd, but Wildcat is the perfect candidate for it.

This is exactly how I feel about Wildcat. It wasn't the worst coaster ever, but just not even close to a standout coaster at HP (a park I LOVE, BTW). Replace that with an RMC conversion, which are pretty much guaranteed home-runs every time out, and an already amazing coaster lineup becomes even more killer! And you still have plenty of great wooden coasters there afterward. I really feel like it's only a matter of when, not if, Wildcat gets the treatment!

Wildcat is an enjoyable coaster. That being said, I can almost guarantee that an RMC conversion would be an exceptional ride so I wouldn't object one bit if they went that route.

Again, No matter how "good" WIldcat is now, it'll be "great" when RMC is done with it. And that's a win/win for everybody!

They did anyone else see this

http://www.screamscape.com/html/hersheypark.htm

My comantary ()

A Screemscape reader went to the board meeting and apparently the proposal involves three key elements.

1. Moving the roundabout/ tram let off to northeast. (Probably to the parking lot in front of the season pass office, or chocolate world parking lot.)

2. Building a new entrance. (Likely by moving up to the now former roundabout. This also means that you could build a path with out crossing the river.)

3. They will be redirecting part of the creek.

Also remember they still have another 20-30 acres on the west end of the old golf course.

Still no word on Fast Track Unlimited?

July 1 we should get a Final answer. It’s the day that early season pass expires and all their 50% off 1-2 day tickets expire. If it’s not available by July 2nd probably won’t happen.

They did anyone else see this

http://www.screamscape.com/html/hersheypark.htm

My comantary ()

A Screemscape reader went to the board meeting and apparently the proposal involves three key elements.

1. Moving the roundabout/ tram let off to northeast. (Probably to the parking lot in front of the season pass office, or chocolate world parking lot.)

2. Building a new entrance. (Likely by moving up to the now former roundabout. This also means that you could build a path with out crossing the river.)

3. They will be redirecting part of the creek.

Also remember they still have another 20-30 acres on the west end of the old golf course.

Do we know if they are planning on just expanding the current park or might they build a second gate? It just seems like the current park can only get so large before the ticket prices to operate gets out of balance with the market. Several (not all) of the bigger parks in the industry have gotten around this cost issue by making sure their waterparks are seperate gates. Cedar Point, Dollywood, Busch Gardens, Knotts Berry Farm, Six Flags Great Adventure. Hershey Park has that extra 'gate' (plus the zoo) included in the current ticket price which might restrict their ability to absorb this large of an expansion under their current pricing system.

The main issue to the "added gate" argument for the water park is that its already completely surrounded by the amusement park itself. I don't really see how they'd accommodate that even if they were to consider that an option.

Do we know if they are planning on just expanding the current park or might they build a second gate? It just seems like the current park can only get so large before the ticket prices to operate gets out of balance with the market. Several (not all) of the bigger parks in the industry have gotten around this cost issue by making sure their waterparks are seperate gates. Cedar Point, Dollywood, Busch Gardens, Knotts Berry Farm, Six Flags Great Adventure. Hershey Park has that extra 'gate' (plus the zoo) included in the current ticket price which might restrict their ability to absorb this large of an expansion under their current pricing system.

The main issue to the "added gate" argument for the water park is that its already completely surrounded by the amusement park itself. I don't really see how they'd accommodate that even if they were to consider that an option.

I think you could kill three birds with one stone by:

1. Move the zoo to the west.

2. Move the Wild Mouse and Boomerang to the new zoo in the west.

3. Market the new gate as the “Hershey’s Wild American adventure” zoo/park.

4. Without the Wild Mouse and Boomerang in the way you could expand the water park.

You guys speak about moving the zoo as if it's as easy as right-clicking it and dragging it to a new location like in Roller Coaster Tycoon. I highly doubt the park is going to invest the capital into moving something as large and complex as a zoo when they could just build new attractions on top of the land to which people are proposing the zoo moves.

You guys speak about moving the zoo as if it's as easy as right-clicking it and dragging it to a new location like in Roller Coaster Tycoon. I highly doubt the park is going to invest the capital into moving something as large and complex as a zoo when they could just build new attractions on top of the land to which people are proposing the zoo moves.

See? I won't have to put this post in my "most short-sighted" archive because it actually makes sense!

However, Hersheypark does appear to be in a bit of a pickle in regards to its expansion, but it at least appears as though they have it handled. Ever since they put in The Boardwalk, the layout has just been completely screwed up. A very small part of me has always thought that they would relocate pretty much everything in Midway America to that new area (and removing Wildcat) but that was before Laff Trakk.

As much of a masterpiece as Lightning Racer is, Midway America is a terrible dead end. If you were to gate off the entrances to The Boardwalk, I can't help but feel like it would get worse. You'd also have to reconfigure the entrance / exit to the Ferris Wheel and a bunch of restrooms and dining locations. Plus you'd have to redirect guests onto a brand new pathway that goes over or under the existing park if they wanted to do a waterpark-only ticket, and that quite frankly sounds absurd just writing it in this post! Though, that would end up sounding a little less absurd if they were to construct this new / replacement park entrance where The Claw currently stands.

To be clear I think there’s a 10-30% chance it happens, but If I was suddenly able to alicate capital expenditures over the next 15 to 20 years that is the direction I would go.

I also want to make some Wild prediction that I believe to be most probable.

I do make one defense in that what ever they are building it is going to be something that will unfold over a long time and my earlier comment should be looked at as something that would unfold over ~15 years.

Thank you for the pointing to weaknesses in my statement.

Sorry, I explained myself poorly. I wasn't recommending they second gate the water park. I was just trying to point out that since the water park is included in their current ticket prices and many of their counterparts don't include their water parks. It might be putting pressure on Hershey's pricing structure.

Example:

Hershey charges $1 to get in and it includes 15 rollercoasters, 40 rides, a water park and zoo. (Lots of operational and investment costs.)

Cedar Point/Busch Gardens/Park X charges $1 to get in and it includes 15 rollercoaster and 40 rides. They then charge another $1 for their water park.

For the same similar product Hershey makes a $1. Park X makes $2.

It might be more financially sustainable to build a second gated park and charge another $1 to get in, instead of diluting their current $1 even more.

Just curious. Not saying it will happen.

See? I won't have to put this post in my "most short-sighted" archive because it actually makes sense!

I wonder how many of my other posts made your "most short-sighted" archive!

However, Hersheypark does appear to be in a bit of a pickle in regards to its expansion, but it at least appears as though they have it handled. Ever since they put in The Boardwalk, the layout has just been completely screwed up. A very small part of me has always thought that they would relocate pretty much everything in Midway America to that new area (and removing Wildcat) but that was before Laff Trakk.

Oh I absolutely agree with you. As much as I love the park, their additions and expansions over the years have, quite literally, really boxed them in.

Unfortunately Hershey has always had a space issue due to the bizarre layout of the park. What once worked in it's early days isn't enough anymore. Yes Midway America is a deadline end but one can argue that when Pioneer Frontier and what is now the Boardwalk was added that too was the beginning of the dead end area.

They are never going to move the zoo, they may someday expand towards the factory buildings which actually was discussed and even had plans drawn up for it but they will not move an entire 11 acre zoo. It's not feasible and would take forever too do. If they don't expand in the old golf course area, they really should consider scrapping the Stadium and utilize that area to possibly bring the park full circle from Midway America.

I know concerts bring lots of money and crowds but they could consider building a new more modern amphitheatre that could be built in a more scenic location. It most likely won't happen but it would be a good way to negate some of the dead end problem they have.

The other thing they never should have done was decide to build the water park right in the middle of the regular park. Now when they want to expand they will have to remove other rides to accommodate. How many times have people speculated that Today Force was on it's way out for more water park?

Unfortunately Hershey has always had a space issue due to the bizarre layout of the park. What once worked in it's early days isn't enough anymore. Yes Midway America is a deadline end but one can argue that when Pioneer Frontier and what is now the Boardwalk was added that too was the beginning of the dead end area.

They are never going to move the zoo, they may someday expand towards the factory buildings which actually was discussed and even had plans drawn up for it but they will not move an entire 11 acre zoo. It's not feasible and would take forever too do. If they don't expand in the old golf course area, they really should consider scrapping the Stadium and utilize that area to possibly bring the park full circle from Midway America.

I know concerts bring lots of money and crowds but they could consider building a new more modern amphitheatre that could be built in a more scenic location. It most likely won't happen but it would be a good way to negate some of the dead end problem they have.

The other thing they never should have done was decide to build the water park right in the middle of the regular park. Now when they want to expand they will have to remove other rides to accommodate. How many times have people speculated that Today Force was on it's way out for more water park?

Totally agree with everything here. I always thought they could build another amphitheater somewhere else on their grounds and finally make the back of the pack connect to the front.

I kinda wish the water park was at another location - so its a pay own way one like Six Flags New Jersey. They lost a lot of room building all of that. I am sure Sidewinder will come out eventually make room for water rides. Same goes for Tidal Force.

Preview is an awesome feature! We had a little trouble getting in and were able to get:

Comet

Skyrush

Superdooperlooper

Great Bear

Trailblazer

Storm Runner

Fahrenheit x 2

Wildcat

Laff Trakk

Lightning Racer

We got the last ride of the night on LR. Most everything was a walk-on or station wait. Laff Trakk was only real wait at about 20 minutes. Fun, but one and done.

Wildcat should be burned to the ground. Truly awful.

Looking forward to re-rides on many of the others tomorrow.

^ LOVE LOVE LOVE the preview night. I took my BF up there for his first time since he was a kid last summer and we entered right at 5 pm for preview and rode almost every coaster. I think its awesome they let you in for free the night before.

Side note - I LOVE Wildcat

Side note - I LOVE Wildcat

Found the masochist.

When we previewed, we showed the ticket lady our printout and she marked out the 'P' with an ink pen without scanning anything. I assume we can use the ticket any day and not

just the day after the preview. I'm pretty sure we can anyway. We are too honest to print out a fresh one and preview again. Also, we were not charged for parking for the preview.

We have decided to go to Morey's Piers tomorrow and take the Cape May Ferry and meander home and add a Hershey stop to our August trip.

You're aware that two of the three piers don't open until 6pm tomorrow, right?

https://www.moreyspiers.com/info/park-hours

Thanks for that info. I am aware now. We may still take that route just to skip weekday traffic. Morey's was just on the way and I only saw a 1:00 p.m. opening on the main website.

I mean you could still do it, and just hit Mariners first and then Surfside @ 6pm. The issue is its a weekday so most schools in the area aren't out until the next few weeks (Philly schools I think are done this week) so Moreys has limited hours on weekdays in June. As soon as I saw your post I thought to check the hours for tomorrow. Also, there are other things to do besides the rides if you do go. The boardwalk itself is fun and the beach is free. Also, two waterparks.

Thinking about heading to the park tomorrow. Can anyone tell me what I should expect for crowds?

Nope. Cleos out sick.

[attachment=0]cleo.gif[/attachment]

but.. .

a712eec96c8bcf655457ec86b697dfd5.gif