TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

This time of year it's hard to "Dodge" storms.. the other day I was there with a 75% chance of rain.. it rained 30 mins and sun was out the rest of the day.. it's just our weather.. today is a 100% and so far it's only rained this morning at my home.. and was done by 11.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

I was at Dollywood early this week, the day of the "flood" and was there until about 4 or 5 with no rain.. it was actually sunny most of the morning.. we could see the rain coming over the mountains.. rain hit, I'm not sure what time (about 7 where I live) and was very hard for an hour or so causing the floods..

Point is, still a great day for the most part.

Pete said during an interview they would be coming back at some point.. he made it sound like they would be back last season but never actually said that. He just mentioned they would be back

I was there at Thanksgiving and an employee told me they were putting something in the where the train makes its loop. I think this is just an old rumor reheated, but i was wondering with the expansion if anyone has heard anymore?

For anyone buying one day tickets for Dollywood on their website, I just got one day tickets for our trip in August for $51.50 each by using the promo code KROGER. That's a pretty good saving almost 20 dollars off each ticket.

Honestly it wouldn’t surprise me if they started expanding up to the train loop but I don’t see it happening anytime soon that would be years from now and I wonder if they will ever build anything behind TT also I’ve seen the idea of a railroad expansion tossed around on other forms that would expand the train route also is there any announcement date set for the 2019 project

Honestly it wouldn’t surprise me if they started expanding up to the train loop but I don’t see it happening anytime soon that would be years from now and I wonder if they will ever build anything behind TT also I’ve seen the idea of a railroad expansion tossed around on other forms that would expand the train route also is there any announcement date set for the 2019 project

expanding in the train loop has been thrown around for years. Back when Adventure Mountain was built there was discussion of a path going up that way. IMHO there are two reason why it wont happen in the loop and the expansion went behind Thunderhead instead.

1. A highlight of the train ride is the upper loop and the Mountain views you get from up there. If they expand up there it would completely change the atmosphere of the train ride and I think a majority of the GP is against that.

2. There would be a lot of infrastructure that would have to be built up to the train loop. There are no bathrooms from MM to Blazing fury so a lot of plumbing would have to installed up the Mountain.

By the size of the land cleared behind thunderhead, it looks like they have a few years of projects in that spot. Just a random thought. but do any of you know why they haven't torn down the old restaurant next to Heartsong and expanded back that way. My kids think that would be a great spot for a coaster.

expanding in the train loop has been thrown around for years. Back when Adventure Mountain was built there was discussion of a path going up that way. IMHO there are two reason why it wont happen in the loop and the expansion went behind Thunderhead instead.

1. A highlight of the train ride is the upper loop and the Mountain views you get from up there. If they expand up there it would completely change the atmosphere of the train ride and I think a majority of the GP is against that.

2. There would be a lot of infrastructure that would have to be built up to the train loop. There are no bathrooms from MM to Blazing fury so a lot of plumbing would have to installed up the Mountain.

By the size of the land cleared behind thunderhead, it looks like they have a few years of projects in that spot. Just a random thought. but do any of you know why they haven't torn down the old restaurant next to Heartsong and expanded back that way. My kids think that would be a great spot for a coaster.

There ARE bathrooms..

Plumbing is already between MM and blazing fury.. there are restaurants (plumbing is required for them), misters (meaning there is water) and other things that require water.

Yes, they would have to built infrastructure up to the train loop, they are doing that for the new area as well but saying there is no plumbing between MM and blazing fury is so off base haha

Oh and not to mention, the park themselves said they would be expanding towards the train loop before their 10 year project is up.. maybe not all the way up but towards. (They might consider this new area towards so who knows). The location of the new area will allow easier access on up the mountain.

Anyways, I was at the park today. No lines, only 15 minute wait for LR.. MM had a fairly long line on my way out but overall nice day. Everything else was fairly empty, empty boats on Daredevil, empty trains on fury and so on. No new hoods or trunks on LR and only running one train on LR, but it was a full train. BBQ is great this year! I love their sauces and even had to buy some of the apple butter BBQ sauce to bring home.. For about $16 (after gold pass discount) got a refill in our bottle and the three meat sampler! Great ribs, great pulled pork, and awesome smoked sausage.. all fresh tasting and looked cooked locally! We only got one plate and still couldn't finish it! Plenty of food because it also had sides..

Funny side note.. have the lady in the BBQ sauce stand ring up the pig toy.. it comes up and says "squeaky pig ass" on the screen! I'm sure they will fix it, she said she just noticed it today when someone complained lol

Planning ahead for our DW trip the last week of July/first week of August: I was super excited to see that iLuminate was going to be at DW this year in place of the Bubble show (which was seriously awesome and we saw it twice!) However, it appears they will only be at DW for 2 weeks and there will be no show in that main show building after July 21. The only other show besides bluegrass music or some singers seems to be a painting guy on a back porch. Does anyone know if DW truly has nothing planned for the last few weeks of summer? That would be a big bummer, if so. Changing travel dates to be able to see the drum show or iLuminate is not a possibility, unfortunately and the shows at Dollywood are a big draw!

They will probably have their Christian Rock Festival sometime this summer but shows during summer have always been limited compared to the rest of the season.

Hey folks,

If you are not on another coaster trip, I want to invite you to sign up for Thrills in the Hills. It is the 10th anniversary of the event and we are doing some special things - one of them is a tour of our off-park rides maintenance facility - in addition to the ERT's and other events. You can go to https://www.dollywood.com/themepark/Festivals/ThrillsintheHills

I look forward to seeing you on the park.

Pete

Hey folks,

If you are not on another coaster trip, I want to invite you to sign up for Thrills in the Hills. It is the 10th anniversary of the event and we are doing some special things - one of them is a tour of our off-park rides maintenance facility - in addition to the ERT's and other events. You can go to https://www.dollywood.com/themepark/Festivals/ThrillsintheHills

I look forward to seeing you on the park.

Pete

Looks like I’ll be signing up then.

By any chance are hosts allowed to attend?

^How would that work with the normal 50% off admission for having a SDC season pass? I too might be interested.
Call to be sure, but expect it'd be full price ($85). The discount for DW pass holders isn't much so I doubt other discounts would apply.

I visited the park this past Friday for the first time in 16 years. I freaking love this place!

I thought Wild Eagle was great and don't understand how a lot of people call it forceless.

Firechaser is just pure fun!

Mystery Mine is a bit rough, but man that coaster is cool lol!

Thunderhead was a bit rough, but had a lot of airtime! I liked it! Although it did feel like that lap bar was trying to rip out my belly button ring lol!

Lighting Rod......OH MY FREAKING GOD! How was that even possible?! Videos do not do this thing justice! It is SO fast and intense! I wish I lived closer to the park simply for Lighting Rod! The only negative thing I have to say is I wish they could fix that pot hole at the bottom of the first drop. That part hurts lol!

Hmm, I was there earlier this week and never noticed the pot hole.. it was a lot worse and they smoothed it out.. I guess bc it's not as bad as it used to be, I don't even notice it anymore haha.

Glad you enjoyed your visit! A lot has changed huh? Haha

As far as the pothole on LR, I felt it on my first ride back in Nov. of ‘16 but haven’t “felt felt” it since. Although I do know if you ride more towards the back you’ll feel somewhat of a “slam” down when you get to the bottom of the drop. I think it’s like the last 2 or 3 cars you’ll feel it. Simply because you’re floating down the drop on the upstops at high speeds then once you start to crest you touch back down. Unless the track does need smoothing out again in that area. I haven’t gotten down to the park this year yet, fingers crossed this weekend.

Isn't there a bridged section of supports at bottom of the drop for some type of maintenance road? If you only feel the "pothole" in the last 2 or 3 cars, I would almost bet that it really isn't a pothole, but more of the track flexing on that bridged section when the train starts to go over it. That's the fastest part of ride with probably some of the stronger positive forces on that ride. So that section probably isn't as strong as it would be if it was supported all the way to the ground.