TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Hersheypark eyes 23-acre expansion for 2020 season

http://www.pennlive.com/life/2018/06/hersheypark_expansion.html#incart_river_index

Hersheypark is preparing for a major expansion in 2020.

Hershey Entertainment and Resorts presented a land development plan June 5 at the Derry Township Planning Commission meeting for 23 acres on the west side of the park.

The plan calls for reconfiguring the park's entrance gate and drop-off and pick-up areas, creating access roads, demolishing existing buildings and infrastructure, constructing several buildings and making plaza improvements.

It also includes installation of stormwater collection and management facilities, restoration to Spring Creek and construction of a new bridge.

One thing the plan does not include are details about new rides or attractions. It also does not provide details about the buildings.

"We really look forward to sharing those exciting plans at a future date after the approval process," said Garrett Gallia, Hershey Entertainment & Resorts spokesman, after the meeting.

On Tuesday, the planning commission recommended the Derry Township Board of Supervisors approve the plan, pending plan revisions.

The improvements are expected to start in 2019. About 23.5 acres will be disrupted for the project, including more than three acres in a floodway.

The land development plan is largely possible due to a 5,807-foot realignment of Park Boulevard bordering the park. The realignment took away a barrier between the park and the former Parkview Golf Course, which Hershey Entertainment owns. The expansion will take over a portion of the golf course property.

Hershey Entertainment donated about $9 million worth of land for the realignment project while the remaining $9.7 million came from local, state and federal funds. The golf course, built by Milton Hershey in 1927, closed in 2005.

A portion of the old Park Boulevard will also be removed for the project.

Planning commission chairman Glenn Rowe said the relocation of Park Boulevard gives the park a competitive edge to expand but has created a bit of an island for Hershey residents. He stressed the project increased the walk to events such as concerts and hockey games for those living in town to more than one mile.

"It creates a disconnect and isolation from the downtown community, which is really important Hershey Entertainment and Resorts addresses," Rowe said.

Gallia said Hershey Entertainment understands the concerns and is working to make improvements such as offering season pass holders the ability to park at the ZooAmerica North American Wildlife Park and use a designated walkway to get to events.

He also said the new plan will reduce the walk by 25 percent to under one mile.

Hersheypark totals about 121 acres, including the 11-acre ZooAmerica. This season, the park added two new water rides, Whitecap Racer and Breakers Edge to the Boardwalk section of the park.

*whispers* please let it be another intamin...

Dose anyone else feel like they may end up with a Zoo relocation for 2020?

Hershey PR said previously that the project would be something not everyone would like.

Zoo of America is very 80’s in its set up and looks a bit to much like a chain link fence prison.

If anyone more familiar with the situation please let me know why I am hopefully wrong.

I’m still hoping for a Intamin lsm but I would think the Skyrush restraints preclude any future Intamin project, Oh well I guess we’ll have to get an RMC wildcat instead.

It would be a travesty if they were to do anything more than re-track Wildcat.

Travesty. I do not think it means what you think it means.

I look forward to the day they RMC Wildcat! Shouldn't have to wait too long now!

I hope that they can accommodate for losing that floodway. Doesn't the area already deal with major flooding on a regular basis anyway? Hopefully it doesn't make it worse...

Intriguing news. The park's entrance plaza did feel a bit cramped when I last visited, so if nothing else at least they are working to improve that. But if they're expanding by that many acres, one would have to presume new attractions are in the pipeline.

I look forward to the day they RMC Wildcat! Shouldn't have to wait too long now!

if that means "Reduce to Metal and Cedar" ?

RMC away, I'm all for it!

Intriguing news. The park's entrance plaza did feel a bit cramped when I last visited, so if nothing else at least they are working to improve that. But if they're expanding by that many acres, one would have to presume new attractions are in the pipeline.

I totally agree with you. The entrance is very small and cramped for the large crowds that gather there before opening. I am excited to see what they do with it.

Hershey PR said previously that the project would be something not everyone would like.

Zoo of America is very 80’s in its set up and looks a bit to much like a chain link fence prison.

If anyone more familiar with the situation please let me know why I am hopefully wrong.

I’m still hoping for a Intamin lsm but I would think the Skyrush restraints preclude any future Intamin project, Oh well I guess we’ll have to get an RMC wildcat instead.

I think the zoo here looks great. It looks a lot better then some other zoos I have been to. All of the habitats are always clean and the animals are always out and never look sick or anything. I do not think it looks like a "chain link fence prison" at all. Sure there is fence use but most zoos use some sort of fencing in some capacity.

On the flip side I do think more should be done to prevent the flooding the takes place. Perhaps, moving to another location where it can still be attached to the park. I always look forward to walking around the zoo after I eat to allow my food to settle a little bit.

That's an interesting thought... the new plot of land is about 1.87 million sq ft of new land where as Zoo America is currently only amount 0.29 million sq f so there is certainly plenty of room to relocate and expand. However, if the new land was to be used only for Zoo America, I don't think they would have gone through the efforts to move the road (you already have to cross a road to get into the current zoo) and then if you did move the zoo, what would happen with the old plot the zoo is currently on? You still have the issue that the plot is separated from the rest of the park by a road.

I feel that the new plot of land will really make for an awkward expansion of the current park. I feel like the smart move would have been to make this change 15 years ago and use this plot to build the water park, but with the current water park as developed as it currently is, I don't see them moving the water park to this plot anytime in the next several decades (if ever). I personally feel like the best option would be to use this plot to aid in the relocation of some current features (the Hersheypark Stadium, Parking, backstage facilities, etc) to allow them to expand the current park to the west of Wildcat and Fahrenheit. You probably couldn't build the stadium specifically in this area, but you could build the stadium in the current parking lot (much closer to Giant Center) then use the new plot for the displaced parking.

I know exactly what it means. I just like Wildcat just as it is. I do not find it painfully rough in any way, shape, or form. It really annoys me when people want to RMC a wooden coaster the moment it starts getting a little bit rough.

I'm one of the few, misguided, feeble-minded folks who actually kind of likes Wildcat, but I wouldn't lose a minute of sleep over it being removed in the future.

It really annoys me when people want to RMC a wooden coaster the moment it starts getting a little bit rough.

That actually has very little to do with why I think it should be RMC'd. I just think Hershey has a near-perfect line-up of coasters and if one of their (four) wooden coasters had to be RMC'd to create an even more perfect line-up, then let it be Wildcat. I don't think its as particularly bad as most enthusiasts think but I don't find all that much about it that is interesting or worth saving.

I could understand getting butthurt about anyone wanting Comet (or even Lightning Racer) RMC'd, but Wildcat is the perfect candidate for it.

^I'm not the biggest RMC fan, but I would agree that RMC-ing Wildcat would give the park even more variety. But then again, I do remember how awesome Wildcat was in 1996/97. I just gave away a 1996 Hersheypark/Wildcat phonecard, that still had a couple dollars on it. If anyone remembers what a phone card was.

I know exactly what it means. I just like Wildcat just as it is. I do not find it painfully rough in any way, shape, or form. It really annoys me when people want to RMC a wooden coaster the moment it starts getting a little bit rough.

My true home Park is Lake Compounce (LC) and I really like the LC Wild Cat (as in I don’t find it very rough and I sympathize ) there, but when it comes to Hershey the park has Comet and Lightning Racer( from the same manufacture as HP wildcat).

If HP Wild Cat was the only GCI we would all be outraged if they tried rmc-ing it. Lightning Racer is so similar that I would really prefer to see an RMC HP Wildcat.

the moment it starts getting a little bit rough.

We're talking about Wildcat right? That thing's been garbage for like 20 years.

A car with square wheels, going down a road full of potholes.

we'll be back at HP later this summer, and I will NOT be riding Wildcat ever again

Hersheypark has a coaster lineup with few or no obvious holes. An RMC hybrid is the ideal niche to fill at the moment and Wildcat is the obvious candidate.

Plus, the park would have to set up a kiosk in Comet Hollow renting motorized scooters to all the enthusiasts complaining about bruised thighs if they had Skyrush and RMC Comet virtually right on top of each other.

Was it good in 97? My first ride on it was in 1999 and it was already a pile of hot garbage.

Yeah, still a big deal and still "wild-N-smooth" in 97. I loved that ride. My next ride was years later and it wasn't the same. I skipped the GCI trains version a couple years ago. So much to do at that park!

I'm one of the few, misguided, feeble-minded folks who actually kind of likes Wildcat, but I wouldn't lose a minute of sleep over it being removed in the future.

No, you are not! I think Wildcat is a great coaster and I personally don't think its that rough in a bad way.

I think Wildcat is a frustrating roller coaster because it SHOULD be a lot better than it actually is. It's unfortunate that the track was beat up so much by the original PTC trains before it got the Millennium Flyers added to it.