TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

I'm looking at a road trip that includes Holiday World next Sunday (6/3).

And miss Holiwood Nights by one day!? Do yourself a favor, re-arrange your trip

I'm not in any Coaster Clubs, so I wouldn't be able to get in anyways. I'm not too big a fan of night rides anyways, I prefer to know where I'm going

^You can always get in as a "guest" of another club if you ever wanted to go. Plus, the event is much more than night rides... it's walk-backs, super-coveted water park ERT (Mammoth and Wildebeest! Must dos even for the non-waterpark-going), etc.

I'm looking at a road trip that includes Holiday World next Sunday (6/3). I'm not too familiar with how crowded this place gets, do you guys think I would be able to ride each coaster multiple times?

You should be able to do it all multiple times. Even enough time to hit Wildebeest and Mammoth. Sundays are very managable at Holiday World.

Thanks! There's a little rain in the forecast that morning but it seems to stop when the park opens. Looking forward to it, I'll post a trip report here after

Might want to catch up on the happy news about the new control systems in place this season for Raven, Legend, and Voyage: https://www.holidayworld.com/holiblog/2018/04/20/podcast-controls-freak/ They've made quite a difference!

This reminder to those planning to join us for HoliWood Nights - online registration closes at midnight tonight! http://HolidayWorld.com/Clubs (onsite reg include the $15 Dreaded Procrastination Tax.)

Holiday World has been pretty cool. The water park ert was great as I got to marathon wildebeest (water slide airtime :o ) and mammoth, which were both awesome. All the coasters were good. I expected a bit more intensity in the airtime on Voyage but wow what a ride. I knew it was fast but good Lord, I swear it felt fastest at the end. The way that second half picks up speed and doesn't let up. Just wow. Raven was epic in back, Legend seems to get the least fanfare but I really liked it. Was at times smoother than raven and also rougher. I may possibly like it a tad over raven, well see with more rides. Also all wing coasters should be launched I have to say!

Edit: I see my error. Voyage is a back ride coaster. Finally nerved up and did back row. That airtime was savage! Also wasn't any rougher than in front m, almost seemed better (maybe my body has been rattled to malfunction) what a crazy ride. Deff top 10. Still cant believe how much butt it hauls. Im going with Legend over Raven the latter has better sir but legend is so intense.

Also very appreciative of the free sunscreen and soda. Both saved my life today and will tomm

What a great evening we had. The staff were so friendly and welcoming. The two water coasters are unlike anything we’ve experienced before and just incredible fun. To be able to just ride them again and again was an experience I’ll never forget. We worked out some great air-time techniques for Wildebeast - the last magnet always so to give you a final kick and once or twice I swear we just soared straight over the crest of the hill.

Riding The Voyage has been a life goal after watching Robb’s video some years back, and our first ride - in the middle for safety - but in darkness when we had no idea what was coming at any point was just a religious experience. I echo thoughts above, as the second section is quite extraordinary in the way it gets up to maximum speed again so quickly. The double-down in the tunnel was quite a shock! We rode a second time in the front row but a bug hit me in the eye halfway through and that made me nervous, and my body was not sure I could survive a third. Sounds like we’ll have to try the back today. After riding The Beast earlier yesterday I found The Voyage definitely the smoother of the two. It’s hard not to wonder what it’d be like with the articulated trains it was intended to have at one point as those were amazing on Mystic Timbers.

With more time in the park today we left The Raven and Legend to be experienced with fresh heads. We’ve had a crazy week of KD, Kennywood, CP, KI and now HW and I’m already so glad we hit the road to get down here and am already planning how to get our respective kids over from the UK to do those water coasters.

^Happy to hear you enjoyed you first rides on Voyage! That double down you mention.. it’s actually a triple down

All 3 woodies seem to be running in prime condition! Legend (my favorite of the three) was running particularly hot last night. Holy cow! Thunderbird is better than ever; everything is tight, no rattle. Can’t wait for tonight.

My favorite geeky quote from some dude during last night’s ERT “Voyage eats RMC for breakfast!” (Just having fun, we all love RMC too!)

BB9A6836-80E0-4F4C-9EB5-BAE5B1DE13D0.thumb.jpeg.d71da7ce953b695a1d428ad3252efdd0.jpeg

Badge for Holiwood Nights this year. Theme is Caddyshack... Bushwood was the country club and Ipe wood is what was used on the top 2 layers of Legend’s track (and Voyage?). Also, the cake balls were to die for.

Ha yeah on voyage ert i heard "who needs steel vengeance!?" U still hope to go to CP this year, sad I missed coastermania but HW has been a great time and Voyage is indeed no joke. Esp with the trim breaks turned off. Having rode a normal ride on it, big diffedence. Can't wait for ert again. Im spoiled ha. also have decided I give the edge to Legend. Better air on raven but I like the intensity.

I really have to make it to HoliWood Nights one of these years for the legendary trimless Voyage rides.

It was insane. At night back row, words can't even. Nothing against Beast night ride but it can't hold a candle to that experience.

Sounds like perhaps Voyage is getting better through re-tracking and maintenance?

I'd still like to go back and try it out again, but with much trepidation after getting absolutely battered on it a few years ago. Raven was above and beyond the best wooden coaster there, but we still preferred the water park over the ride side.

^People seemed to be saying Voyage is best it's ever been. But it's still a very aggressive design, the way it was meant! My favorite Voyage year was 2 years ago, but it's hard to compare. I love it all the time! 2011 was "the rough" year if I remember correctly.

Legend is still my favorite at the park. It reminds me of Phoenix in that it seems to get faster every time I ride it. I dunno how they do it.

The event was amazing. Back home last night, sore from all the walking... and maybe a little sore from riding - a good sore! I always know my favorite parks are my favorites when I keep wanting more after I leave. I met some new people from different coaster/park clubs, including a TPR acquaintance from years ago. Holiwood Nights/Holiday World has a way of bringing people together like nobody else.

Voyage in 2016 was very smooth, with the only less-than-ideal roughness in wheel seats (and even that was pretty bearable). Legend was smooth but didn't really do anything except laterals (which are fun but not as fun as on The Boss). Raven had an awesome layout and setting but it felt like it was shredding the train apart to the point of discomfort.

I liked the Voyage the best during my trip about 10 days ago. I thought Raven was the second best wooden roller coaster. Legend came in third. All three are good rides and with Thunderbird, Holiday World doesn't have a bad coaster in the park. Really need to make it to HoliWood nights and ride the trim less Voyage. Currently the Voyage is my favorite wooden roller coaster ahead of Goliath (SFGA), Ghost Rider, Gold Striker, and Mystic Timbers. Will get to Lightning Rod in August and will need to ride El Toro next year.

One more thing I forgot... there was lightning close to the park Saturday night, cutting into ERT. The park went above and beyond by extending ERT after midnight. I don't know what time it went until but I was still riding Voyage at 12:35am.

Also, the Water Cup Challenge on Legend was a blast!

Saw some mysterious photos floating around online of the old Pilgrims Plunge station getting an addition / construction being ADDED to the building. At least that is how it appears. Any word on this from anyone on what this could possibly be? Or am I imagining things?

One more thing I forgot... there was lightning close to the park Saturday night, cutting into ERT. The park went above and beyond by extending ERT after midnight. I don't know what time it went until but I was still riding Voyage at 12:35am.

Also, the Water Cup Challenge on Legend was a blast!

Oh that explains it! We were about to bolt at 12 after our "last" ride but saw people were still getting on so we did one more. I didn't know they extended it! Though personally it was such an epic weekend (I did KI and KK as well) I was beat and ready to call it a trip.

It was both awesome and terrifying riding voyage with the lightning, it seemed quite close at times and racing through the pitch black with lightning flashes over head...that was an experience.

I cant attest to the past but at least as of this past weekend, I really didn't find Voyage that bad at all. It was not smooth, but it wasn't terribly rough, both Legend and esp Raven were worse. Esp with the trims on, I was able to do 4 in a row and felt fine. A little rattled but way better than the trim-less rides, which were awesome but that second half was borderline too wild. By the end of ERT my back was sore.

I was in charge of a group of 40 people visiting Holiday World yesterday. I haven't been in over a decade. Raven was the only coaster I did before, so even though I knew I'd be tied up a lot being the group leader, I was excited for some new rides. First the park was clean and well landscaped. It wasn't quite Herschend or Busch level but was very nice. A lot of my mental comparisons were to Dollywood as I consider it my home park, even though Holiday World is the same distance from home. Employees in general were great. Food service, tickets, lifeguards were all top notch. Thunderbird was insane. The launch was way stronger than it looked from the ground. It also was the best themed coaster. My only other wing rider is Wild Eagle, and I feel that I can't pick one over the other as they are very different rides. The water park was one of the best- Mammoth is hands down the best water ride I have ever been on. I only had one chance to ride the three woodies, they were all good, Legend was my least favorite of the 3. Raven is still one of the best wooden coasters out there. I really liked Voyage, but with only one ride on it I can't really say too much more yet, need to go back again and experience it more. Great park!

My favorite geeky quote from some dude during last night’s ERT “Voyage eats RMC for breakfast!” (Just having fun, we all love RMC too!)

Ha yeah on voyage ert i heard "who needs steel vengeance!?"

My money is on these quotes being from TPR's very own poster, Turtle Wax!

I love The Voyage, and it's my favorite wooden coaster (and yes, night rides are surreal!), but I still think SV beats it without question! To each their own though...

If you’re riding the crap out of a coaster at night with your friends, having a great time and you’re hyping it up a bit in the moment then I totally get that. I don’t know how much we need to analyze the guy’s statement

^The funny thing is, if it's the guy I mentioned above, he was posting those same feelings on his Facebook (we're longtime friends, after first meeting through a Coaster Fansite) the next day, after riding SV! Different strokes for different folks though... I DO love The Voyage - just not more than SV!