TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

East Coast/Midwest road trip 2018

Responding to ^, if spinning makes a mouse more enticing to you, then I'd say not to skip Ragin' Cajun. I think it's one of the best out there. Otherwise, sure, keep it in the skippable mouse category.

I will say I like Vekoma flyers, but I can't sell you on Batwing over the others--I've found them to ride very similarly.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Responding to ^, if spinning makes a mouse more enticing to you, then I'd say not to skip Ragin' Cajun. I think it's one of the best out there. Otherwise, sure, keep it in the skippable mouse category.

I will say I like Vekoma flyers, but I can't sell you on Batwing over the others--I've found them to ride very similarly.

Spinning on any axis makes anything less enticing to me. If we do The Joker at all, it will be the last thing we do that day.

Canobie Coaster, thanks for all the tips. Lake Compounce is under consideration, I just wish they had ride tickets like a lot of smaller parks. That's a lot of cheddar for two woodies. My daughter hated Tempesto (I liked it) so I'm pretty sure Sky Rocket II coasters are off the table.

Lake Compounce is honestly one of the most overpriced parks in America not located at a beach or a major tourist trap. Last time we were there, Tempesto was easily the best ride in the park. If you're going to skip that, you're dumping a lot of money (plus parking) to ride a boomerang, a crappy wood coaster (though it is marginally better not from what I'm told) and a coaster that could be awesome depending on the day but is also really temperamental and in my mind is overrated even on it's best day.

Most people disagree with me on Boulder Dash and I get that, but this park in general was in rough shape when we visited last year. Parques Reunidos is a trash company.

Counterpoint: You're literally going to drive right by it. I could see the argument for going there, riding Boulder Dash and getting it out of your system.

PS: they have a log flume and a shooting dark ride. Both of these have operations that would make La Ronde proud. If you want to ride either of these, rope drop them. Last time we were there the flume ops were so horrific that I (yes... I) skipped the flume.

Lake Compounce is honestly one of the most overpriced parks in America not located at a beach or a major tourist trap. Last time we were there, Tempesto was easily the best ride in the park. If you're going to skip that, you're dumping a lot of money (plus parking) to ride a boomerang, a crappy wood coaster (though it is marginally better not from what I'm told) and a coaster that could be awesome depending on the day but is also really temperamental and in my mind is overrated even on it's best day.

Most people disagree with me on Boulder Dash and I get that, but this park in general was in rough shape when we visited last year. Parques Reunidos is a trash company.

Counterpoint: You're literally going to drive right by it. I could see the argument for going there, riding Boulder Dash and getting it out of your system.

PS: they have a log flume and a shooting dark ride. Both of these have operations that would make La Ronde proud. If you want to ride either of these, rope drop them. Last time we were there the flume ops were so horrific that I (yes... I) skipped the flume.

I can't disagree one bit on Lake Compounce being overpriced. They didn't reduce admission in any way this year despite the removal of free soda and their amazing Sky Ride. I only go as often as I do since I have a season pass and it's literally on the way to my sister's college.

They did get some additional logs from Kennywood's now closed Log Jammer, so that should help for capacity there at least so that's one positive. And Wildcat is actually ridable now.

Hoppedup, you said in a previous post with regards to Six Flags America that you wanted to ride every adult wooden coaster irregardless of how rough it was. If wooden coasters are a priority for you, I'd argue Lake Compounce is a must solely for Boulder Dash. The best seat by far is the front anyway so you eliminate the issue of riding on a wheel seat. I've never gotten what I'd deem a rough ride, but the coaster does have 1-2 rough patches on the layout. But it's worth it for that incredible setting and airtime.

Hoppedup, you said in a previous post with regards to Six Flags America that you wanted to ride every adult wooden coaster irregardless of how rough it was. If wooden coasters are a priority for you, I'd argue Lake Compounce is a must solely for Boulder Dash. The best seat by far is the front anyway so you eliminate the issue of riding on a wheel seat. I've never gotten what I'd deem a rough ride, but the coaster does have 1-2 rough patches on the layout. But it's worth it for that incredible setting and airtime.

I didn't even think about parking. It looks like about the cheapest we could get tickets would be $39 and then $11 to park. With taxes and fees, it would be $103.48. I love wooden coasters, just not that much.

I've never gotten what I'd deem a rough ride, but the coaster does have 1-2 rough patches on the layout. But it's worth it for that incredible setting and airtime.

That's how I felt before last year so maybe we just caught it on a bad day. The only smooth parts of the ride last year without any hard bumps were the lift hill ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶b̶r̶a̶k̶e̶ ̶r̶u̶n̶ (edit: nevermind).

^ Technically the brake run was smooth. Wasn't it the station that would have been rough? I still can't believe that happened last year.

I didn't even think about parking. It looks like about the cheapest we could get tickets would be $39 and then $11 to park. With taxes and fees, it would be $103.48. I love wooden coasters, just not that much.

Yeah the parking is the extra kick in the nuts. I looked and even if you tried showing up an hour before closing, they have no twilight admission and still charge for parking.

After spending one day each at SFNE and Compounce last year I am very much looking forward to going back to Six Flags sometime this season, but have absolutely less than zero interest in visiting Compounce again. I didn't hate the place but I thought Boulder Trash sucked and outside of Phobia, the screaming swing, and that batsh*t insane waveswinger, there isn't anything worth returning for at that price point.

While we're on the subject here is the revised plan for Trip B:

Trip B: August 16-25

Thursday afternoon: Drive toward King’s Island

Friday: King’s Island (Mason, OH)

Saturday: King’s Island

Sunday: Cedar Point (Sandusky, OH)

Monday: Cedar Point

Tuesday: Cedar Point> Waldameer (Erie, PA)

Wednesday: Niagara Falls> Fantasy Island (Grand Island, NY)

Thursday: Darien Lake (Darien Center, NY)> Conneaut Lake (Conneaut Lake, PA)

Friday: Kennywood (West Mifflin, PA), drive toward home

Saturday: Finish drive home (home by lunch)

I know you guys know where the parks are, but I typed up an itinerary of each trip for the ex-wife, so I included locations. I plan to use FL+ at KI and CP as needed (these don't actually sell out from what I've read here, right?). I know I could've gotten KI on a weekday the week before, but this is the only time that worked for both of us. KK got axed because the State Fair is in town and that sounds like a shit show. Holiday World bit the dust with KK. They will probably be added to next summer's first trip: DW>KK>HW>SFStL>WOF>SDC. That allows for multiple days at KI and CP.

We are probably going to do a Canada trip in the next 2-3 years that will include staying with friends in Québec City, Montreal (Longeuil), and Ottawa. We will probably still have Platinum CF passes and SF memberships then, so I figure we'll do that then. That trip will be more outdoor activity and tourist oriented with whale watching, rafting the Ottawa river, Montmorency Falls, maybe a night at the Château Frontenac, etc. I know we will be closer to CW on this trip, but I'm pretty sure we are sticking to the U.S. this time.

We are probably going to do a Canada trip in the next 2-3 years that will include staying with friends in Québec City, Montreal (Longeuil), and Ottawa. We will probably still have Platinum CF passes and SF memberships then, so I figure we'll do that then. That trip will be more outdoor activity and tourist oriented with whale watching, rafting the Ottawa river, Montmorency Falls, maybe a night at the Château Frontenac, etc. I know we will be closer to CW on this trip, but I'm pretty sure we are sticking to the U.S. this time.

We just got back from Niagara Falls (I have a trip report up here, but haven't gotten to the amusement park yet).

but really. .if you have passports, and you are considering Fantasy Island? (which we skipped). . go 10 minutes further, cross the rainbow bridge, and drive the 4 minutes to MarineLand.

with the current exchange rate (and the coupon book you can pick up at any hotel, or even online), it was less than $40 american to get in.

even if you just spend 2 hours there - walking back to Dragon Mountain (it's WAY in the back of the park), and get a few rides on that, and then the Drop Tower? way, way worth it.

I figured in Vegas, it's over $15 per ride for the crappy NYNY coaster. . and I got in 4 rides on Dragon Mountain alone -- that more than made it a value to stop by (if you're not familiar, it's a very long Arrow Looper, with 4 inversions, a helix inside a volcano, and two tunnels). . . enjoyed the hell out of it.

Full disclosure: I've been to Canada many times. The last visit there was an incident with a local that is what it is. But it may prevent me from returning for a couple of more years.