TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

This wouldn't surprise me, despite the slow opening of Crazanity. From what I hear 2019 is a larger project than 2018 including the removal of some of those buildings in Cyclone Bay. An early start makes sense in this case.
One would hope. SFMM is due for a new coaster. It has been since 2015. Going to 365 days is setting the table to spend a little more for a new attraction. Hopefully it hasn't added a bunch of expenses and prevents the addition.

Viper isn't going anywhere right now. They're going to bring it down to do an entire electrical/PLC system overhaul once Revolution is back up. So it's safe to say that Viper is safe in 2019. Beyond then, who knows. It wouldn't make much sense to do an expensive ride systems overhaul and then tear out that same ride two years later, but this is the same park that has departments fight each other and not communicate at all so... Weirder things have happened.

But for now Viper is safe.

Based on this last survey with the racing names and the previous survey about an extension of Superman maybe they are linked as Superman has the 2 tracks already to race. Are they allowed to dispatch both trains at the same exact time?

Viper isn't going anywhere right now. They're going to bring it down to do an entire electrical/PLC system overhaul once Revolution is back up. So it's safe to say that Viper is safe in 2019. Beyond then, who knows. It wouldn't make much sense to do an expensive ride systems overhaul and then tear out that same ride two years later, but this is the same park that has departments fight each other and not communicate at all so... Weirder things have happened.

But for now Viper is safe.

What’s going on with Revolution? It has been down for quite a while.

Based on this last survey with the racing names and the previous survey about an extension of Superman maybe they are linked as Superman has the 2 tracks already to race. Are they allowed to dispatch both trains at the same exact time?

Yes they're allowed to, they just don't care to. They rarely run both sides at the same time at all except summer weekends. Man, having both cars come up the tower at the same time while riding Lex Luthor would be an awesome experience!

Yes they're allowed to, they just don't care to. They rarely run both sides at the same time at all except summer weekends. Man, having both cars come up the tower at the same time while riding Lex Luthor would be an awesome experience!

They actually aren’t allowed to launch both tracks at the same time anymore. It put too much stress on the tower. They have to wait until the first car is heading up the tower before they can dispatch the second car, so that they pass each other on the curve going onto the tower.

Revolution went down for an unplanned chain replacement and refabrication. Viper was actually supposed to already be down but they didn't want both down at the same time so Viper got pushed back.

Superman ran both sides all last summer. Usually they take a side down during non peak season to save on wear, operations, and cost, but they have been pretty good about running both sides in the summer these last few years.

Superman is tricky though because it's all first generation tech that Intamin apparently doesn't officially support anymore (or it's too expensive for the park to keep contracting them), so all of the LSMs have to get repaired by a 3rd party vendor or fabricated entirely from scratch. Apparently the park has had a tough time with repair vendors in the past and have just recently found a new fabricator. There is only a set budget for the fixing and replacing of the LSMs every year and they are dying at a faster rate then they are being replaced. So at any given moment on the track there are "dead zones" where LSMs have gone bad or are missing entirely. As it was right before Superman got some capital investment (new cars and repaint), the park has again taken the route of undervolting the LSMs to prolong their lifespan. It's unfortunate that the ride doesn't go as fast anymore, but it's ultimately a business decision that has sound logic behind it. We might disagree with the logic, but we aren't the ones operating the park and paying the bills.

When I think of a car/racing theme for some reason I think of one of those Vekoma Blitz/Firestorm type coasters. Combined with Six Flags loving to adopt a new ride concept (in the US anyway), I wonder if it could be one of these.

When I think of a car/racing theme for some reason I think of one of those Vekoma Blitz/Firestorm type coasters. Combined with Six Flags loving to adopt a new ride concept (in the US anyway), I wonder if it could be one of these.

I'd love a Lech Coaster style ride. That ride looks super intense and amazing and it only cost seven million US dollars. I feel like Six Flags would love a model like that since it is so cheap. I'd love to see them go with a design that had more airtime though. It seems that the park doesn't have a whole lot of airtime oriented rides.

Hey Magic Mountain regulars.

I’m from NJ and visiting Magic Mountain sometime between July 1-10 and need help picking a date that wouldn’t be as crowded. Obviously July 4th weekend will be crazy but besides that I also need some tips for where to go first, what to eat, and basically what to expect. I went in 2014 like a week after Colossus closed but I was only like 10 and dont remember that. Anyway, I missed a lot of credits and am just gonna do anything anyway. So please help me out!! It would be greatly appreciated

I’m from NJ and visiting Magic Mountain sometime between July 1-10 and need help picking a date that wouldn’t be as crowded. Obviously July 4th weekend will be crazy but besides that I also need some tips for where to go first, what to eat, and basically what to expect. I went in 2014 like a week after Colossus closed but I was only like 10 and dont remember that. Anyway, I missed a lot of credits and am just gonna do anything anyway. So please help me out!! It would be greatly appreciated

I would suggest going the 9th or the 10th. The next best day may be the 8th as I have had luck with the Sunday's after a holiday week, If you are a gold member you will be able to get into the park 10 minutes early. Go straight to Full Throttle and knock this out right away. The line gets longer than most other rides and will stay that way. After Full Throttle, I go towards Goliath, Twisted Colossus, and Scream I will ride Goliath once and then I will get a few rides on Twisted Colossus before the queue starts to fill up. Continue to work around the park in the counter clock wise direction, hitting up Batman, Justie League, Riddler's, etc.You want to end up at X2 between 2:30-4. A lot of times X2 will be cleared out during the afternoon. Most people start at X2 and then return later in the day. I find that if you get to it in the late afternoon a lot of time the line is 15 minutes or less on most Sunday's. Sometimes it is empty. Tatsu. Apcalypse, and Superman will generally have medium lines. They could range anywhere from 10-45 minutes depending on the day. On the 4th they will be at least an hour.

Did SFMM last July 4th and it wasn't that bad. I try to go on days were their is big event to avoid large crowds. Like Disneyland on Superbowl Sunday is the BEST!

I think majority of the crowd will be at HH since it's HOT in the Santa Clarita Valley and people need to cool off.

If I were a betting man, now that SpinZanity, scratch that, CraZanity is finally vertical, we're probably around a month away from opening (give or take). So we're finally in the home stretch...

Also, everyone get their last rides on Apocalypse tomorrow as the area back there is getting shut down on Monday to allow crews to work on project 2019. Originally it was slated for the 1st, but it was decided to keep the area open over the weekend.

Anyhow, it's an exciting time for the park as the 2019 coaster sounds like it's going to be huge.

Does anyone know if this closure has happened yet? If so, where did they put up the "walls" to block the area and what attractions were included in the closed off area? I see them putting one "wall" right after the exit of Roaring Rapids heading down the hill and the other before/after Cyclone 500. Does anyone have any pictures of the closed off areas?

Did SFMM last July 4th and it wasn't that bad. I try to go on days were their is big event to avoid large crowds. Like Disneyland on Superbowl Sunday is the BEST!

I think majority of the crowd will be at HH since it's HOT in the Santa Clarita Valley and people need to cool off.

I couldn't make it back east to visit family for Thanksgiving this past year as I went back for 2 weeks at Christmas time, so I went out to the park for Thanksgiving. It did have more people than I was expecting. but it was managable.

If I were a betting man, now that SpinZanity, scratch that, CraZanity is finally vertical, we're probably around a month away from opening (give or take). So we're finally in the home stretch...

Also, everyone get their last rides on Apocalypse tomorrow as the area back there is getting shut down on Monday to allow crews to work on project 2019. Originally it was slated for the 1st, but it was decided to keep the area open over the weekend.

Anyhow, it's an exciting time for the park as the 2019 coaster sounds like it's going to be huge.

Does anyone know if this closure has happened yet? If so, where did they put up the "walls" to block the area and what attractions were included in the closed off area? I see them putting one "wall" right after the exit of Roaring Rapids heading down the hill and the other before/after Cyclone 500. Does anyone have any pictures of the closed off areas?

I don’t think the closure has happened yet, apocalypse was still running all day today.

^ I hope so. I want to ride it tomorrow. But with my luck, they'll close it.

With Revolution and Green Lantern already down, you'd think they would want to leave it open as long as they possibly can.

Is anybody really missing Green Lantern? I think you want it open until Revolution is back up.

I'm surprised that it didn't actually close today as that was the target date. We'll see what happens now, hopefully we'll get answers soon!

Revolution will almost certainly reopen before Green Lantern. There is supposedly some litigation going on with Green Lantern right now that hasn't finished. I'm assuming the park will reopen the ride at some point considering they have been very slowly working on it, but I have yet to hear any type of timetable for the ride.

...But let's be honest, does anyone really miss Green Lantern?

I really with this park (and every park) would follow Busch Tampa and Disney's format and post their ride refurb schedules for people planning visits. It seems like a simple enough thing to do and I really appreciate it when parks do it.

I really with this park (and every park) would follow Busch Tampa and Disney's format and post their ride refurb schedules for people planning visits. It seems like a simple enough thing to do and I really appreciate it when parks do it.
As long as Twisted Colossus, X2, and Tastu are open and the crowds are small I'm happy when I visit the park.