TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

^as a another user previously mentioned, before Goldstriker opened “officially” they soft-opened to those of us who were at the park that day. Then they ran the promo shoot that anyone could be a part of. THEN they did their opening ceremony.

Fun fact: I got to be on the train that ran during the ceremony. There were fireworks going off along the lift as we went up. Probably one of those “once-in-a-lifetime” moments.

I must say, though, CGA employees are really dumb when it comes to Platinum passes. Maybe they just don't see them enough? The girl at Goldstriker was super confused both times I went to get FunPix. My first ride I ended up having to use the kiosk because she had no idea what to do. Second time she said she scanned my pass correctly and obviously didn't because I didn't get that photo. Manager at the season pass center was also dumb. I showed him my pass uploaded on the KI app and he said, "You'll have to go to Kings Island to get a new pass." I told him my Platinum was actually renewed at Cedar Point but it didn't matter. He said if he gave me a new pass it would say, "California's Great America" on it and I wouldn't be able to get into the other parks. Um...what? Also, has it always costed $15 for a replacement? I paid my f*&$#@ arm and leg to buy this pass in the first place, and they're going to charge me for a new card?

when i added funpix this year, they gave me a new card with the qr code instead of the old bar code. i heard others having their cards replaced with the drink plan. not sure if that had something to do with your photos not working or not. i did get my new card at the same park i bought it at though, knott's.

Yes, that’s why I initially had gotten a new one at KD, they were trading my card for the one with the QR code. Now, I believe all new passes (or at least Platinums) have them.

Stopped by the park today for a few hours before I had to drive back to Los Angeles. I was in the park for 4 hours and in that time, Railblazer was not running, nor testing.

There were some workers doing stuff to the trains themselves in the station, but wasn't able ride this visit ☹. Hopefully next visit, I'll report some better news!

^Ugh, they really should at least announce a date. I'm trying to plan a trip up there in about 2 weeks with the purpose of getting on Railblazer. But now I don't know if I should put all that travel on hold. Very frustrating... >.

Would love to see this open by late June. May make a special trip up from LA to ride it. I was impressed with the way it looked when I was up there about a month ago.

I was hoping to visit in mid-June with the premise it'd be open by then, but it's getting really hard to say. I really don't want to have to rearrange all my summer travel plans just because of this, but that's starting to look like the case. So wish they'd get their act together so people can plan trips. :/

Just saw riders on Rail Blazer via

GA webcam!

Welp, good thing I already got everything done for the day.

That's a neat view of the ride experience, and it was good to get an idea of what operations might be like (looks pretty dialed in at the moment). I'm keeping my ear to the street for news of its opening!

I was at the park today and here is a trip report. Whitewater Falls was closed throughout the time I was there (surprising considering how hot it was), while Patriot was down on two separate occasions before I saw it open early afternoon. Also did the go-karts, which I've rarely done. I was told H.M.B. Endeavor was torn down to make way for the water park expansion. There were people riding RailBlazer in the afternoon. It might have been a media event, as I saw what looked to be non-employees on the ride. I was surprised it wasn't more crowded considering the Red, White & Brews event was taking place.

I was at the park today and here is a trip report. Whitewater Falls was closed throughout the time I was there (surprising considering how hot it was), while Patriot was down on two separate occasions before I saw it open early afternoon. Also did the go-karts, which I've rarely done. I was told H.M.B. Endeavor was torn down to make way for the water park expansion. There were people riding RailBlazer in the afternoon. It might have been a media event, as I saw what looked to be non-employees on the ride. I was surprised it wasn't more crowded considering the Red, White & Brews event was taking place.

It's definitely employee only status at the moment, but employees may have been able to bring a +1. Either way, with employees riding now, it will be open very very soon.

I got a free unlimited rides wristband voucher for SCBB tonight at the SF Giants game which is awesome, as I was planning to visit SCBB at the same time when I go down to CGA to ride Railblazer. That will save me $40!

I'm a little shocked this coaster isn't open yet, but that's good to hear it should be a matter of days now. I actually cannot remember the last time Cedar Fair opened a new roller coaster in June.
I'm just shocked they haven't announced the date yet considering they have riders on it, even if they are employees.

I'm a little shocked this coaster isn't open yet, but that's good to hear it should be a matter of days now. I actually cannot remember the last time Cedar Fair opened a new roller coaster in June.
I'm just shocked they haven't announced the date yet considering they have riders on it, even if they are employees.

I agree, it's weird, leads me to speculate that there's something going on similar to what happened with gold striker - though the ride is ready to go, city and/or state may not yet have given it the go ahead to operate, so it just can't open to the public yet.

It's definitely employee only status at the moment, but employees may have been able to bring a +1. Either way, with employees riding now, it will be open very very soon.

I got a free unlimited rides wristband voucher for SCBB tonight at the SF Giants game which is awesome, as I was planning to visit SCBB at the same time when I go down to CGA to ride Railblazer. That will save me $40!

It was strictly employees (we had to show our IDs to get in line, many of us were on our day off so we weren't in uniform (like myself). Scored 6 rides yesterday. It is insane.

Which park is better to visit on a Sunday in late July, in terms of crowds: SFDK or CGA? We're currently putting together a NorCal itinerary and we have a choice between doing one park on Sunday and the other on Monday. Is there much of a difference? We want to avoid Fast Lane/Flash Pass since neither of these parks are really big and it's not a "once in a lifetime opportunity", however it is our first time in NorCal. Any advice is welcome. Thanks!

Employees riding doesn't mean anything. Employees are exempt from the state law requiring approval from the state to ride. They could still be days or weeks away depending on a lot of factors.

Employees riding doesn't mean anything. Employees are exempt from the state law requiring approval from the state to ride. They could still be days or weeks away depending on a lot of factors.

The dipping dots guy (guy working the stand with Railblazer beer) said 2 weeks. Was one of the employees who rode. Sounded totally reliable /sarcasm.