TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

^ They have all those temporary wooden structures holding the ride up... Obviously those wooden structures will be removed for normal operations. . . Just curious if there will be any permanent metal structures replacing them???

(I know it's highly unlikely. Just a thought though.)

Looking at the ride, it does seem rather, well, complicated. You know, lots of moving parts. But I think those supports are purely temporary.

That's what I was thinking.

My only reasoning behind thinking there might be permanent steel supports coming to replace it would be for the "off season" and over night when the ride is laying in that position. The supports might take a lot of strain/wear off the hydraulics holding it up.

But hey, idk. I'm not an engineer, and I didn't design the ride. Obviously those who did know what they are doing.

Just something I thought of, and thought I'd point out. Dont sue me.

EDIT: Nevermind. I now see what seems to be the more permanent steel version I was describing above.

20180523_224547.thumb.jpg.0e0a43cd8267b195fed64eff8ce46967.jpg

Sooooooo anyone have a guess when it will be ready to roll? I don't want to miss the "ride exclusive! members only because you're so special!" morning since its just too hot when we get deep into summer to ride something that spins like this, for me anyways.

So that will probably be my one ride until Fright Fest when it cools down.

So TPR posted

and given that it's the same ride coming to SFOT... I thought it'd be worth the share in this thread.

Also, after watching the video there's no way I will ever be riding one of these. The video itself makes me nauseous.

I wonder if Harley will have the LED light package like Cyborg Spin? From the photos posted of Harley, I didn't see any kind of light package on it.

I think it will have a lighting package...

hq.thumb.jpg.fba00a25a5ade5362a69c0d52e023d8c.jpg

But I could be wrong. Those might not be lights...

Just looked at the web site for SFOT and they said NEw Texas Giant is closed? Is this the case. Looking at a possible trip in late June, but may change to Six Flags Over Geogria as it seems a lot of rides are down at SFOT. To me Joker makes sense because of how close it is to the new ride, but curious on what is up with New Texas Giant or if the website is just plain wrong.

Bummer about New Texas Giant. We have a first-ever trip planned next week and probably won't have a chance to go back for a long time. Hopefully they get it open soon.

As for Joker, the app says that it's open and it's been posting wait times all week. That's odd.

Edit:

1030913A-9C68-4CDA-8973-9D5FF1436257.jpeg.ebdd2c5123ae97bf1e239dbce7dd81b2.jpeg

Woohoo!

Bummer about New Texas Giant. We have a first-ever trip planned next week and probably won't have a chance to go back for a long time. Hopefully they get it open soon.

As for Joker, the app says that it's open and it's been posting wait times all week. That's odd.

Edit:

I'm pretty sure whatever closure was being reported was just bad timing on someone's part. Temporary stuff.

Hope you enjoy your time there! Hopefully ShockWave isn't running the way it was during the VR deal - every drop felt hella neutered except the first one

Thanks!

Any advice for this park by the way? I'm sort of planning on heading to New Texas Giant at rope drop because (while it may not be the best plan of attack), it's really the reason we're there and if we miss anything else the world won't end. What other rides should we try to hit early? La Vibora, Pandemonium and Joker I assume?

You pretty much have the correct list and order. I would add Runaway Mountain as it is a slow line and if there is much of a crowd it can be a wait. Titan will be close while you are at NTAG- you might wish to grab it then..otherwise you seem to have a good plan. if you don't visit often i would add ShockWave to the list. ShockWave and Titan both handle long lines fairly well. LaVorba and Pandemonium are the slowest IMHO. Enjoy. It will be HOT.

Riddler and La Vibora will have the longest wait times due to the slow throughput. It is not uncommon to see both an hour plus while everything else is a 10-15 minute wait. Titan and Shockwave have been walkons or a train or two wait every time I have been this year but I try to only go Sundays to avoid any craziness. Haven't heard anything about NTG being down long term, pretty confident it will be good to go.

Souvenir cups are definitely recommended.

La Vibora, Pandemonium, Joker, and Mr Freeze are gonna be your typical low capacity coasters, though Freeze has a nice air conditioned queue and a dual-load station so it's not that bad. Runaway Mountain also pulls decent lines and is one of the best family coasters out there (restraints are wonky but the back row is way more fun than it should be). NTAG at rope drop on lighter days, depending on the operations and ride ops, can be 2-3 rerides before a line builds up, though these earlier rides are a little sluggish compared to later in the day (it warms up pretty quickly though). Vibora will probably open late. Getting to Titan is slightly confusing but not too bad, and following it up with a ride on NTAG is a great palate cleanser. Clockwise is generally a good way to hit the park.

Judge Roy is pretty much exclusively a front seat ride, not for roughness but for airtime. Mr. Freeze is best on either end for forces and intensity, not to mention the spike.

The log flume and mine train are supposedly the originals, and are fun (idk if it has it this season, but the log flume had a real funky smell last time we were there. a log flume enthusiast like yourself might appreciate a unique quality like that, not to mention its historical relevance, but the smell did kinda spread to a good third of the park lmao). The rapids ride will get you soaked, but is surprisingly immersive, not just for SF but in general.

As for flats, S:ToP is a fantastic drop tower, the 400ft Star Flyer is fun (probably a worse view than SFNE's with their lake and all, but fun nonetheless, especially at night when the park's lit up), and of course Riddler Revenge (the giant frisbee) is fantastic.

Coasterbill- I will say that last Saturday I went to the park to walk and it was very hot (us Texans call it "warm"). I found plenty of shade and they had many, many "Mister" fans going. It really was not bad. I think the shows crank up this weekend- The AC feels good on a day like they predict for this Saturday. Just remember.. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate...

Thanks guys!

Yeah, this is a pretty flexible trip and we'll likely have multiple days at this park. We're flying into Dallas and headed down to San Antonio, so I feel like we'll start the trip here (before likely hitting the Rangers game that night) and probably end it there before heading to the airport. We can also swing by in the morning that second day if we missed something important.

I have no doubt that New Texas Giant will run better as the day goes on but I feel like I'll end up heading there first just to make sure we get a ride in. While not likely, I'd feel dumb if something happened like it did last Sunday and the ride closed early in the day and didn't reopen for days and I missed out on it because I was riding a Gerstlauer spinner. I used to prioritize rides in order of capacity but I changed my tune after almost missing out on the RMC at Discovery Kingdom because I was busy riding a Tempesto clone.

Obviously the plan is to head back there for tons of re-rides.

As for El Aserradero... oh believe me, it's a huge draw. I actually considered doing a HITP trip once but decided against it since there's no way in hell I would make my first trip to the park that has the world's first log flume on a day where I couldn't ride it. I mean... come on.

We had a great time at this park last summer. Invest in a drink cup! Also, the old section of the park has a confusing layout, so study the map a bit beforehand.

I'd reiterate this — it's surprisingly maze-like in that section, and it's one of the first parts you'll hit. New Texas Giant is a priority (still my favorite RMC out of the ones I've ridden as it's more of a traditional coaster design), but Runaway Mountain is worth getting on early too — especially if it's a busy day. It's a small, off-the-shelf design, but done in a quirky way. La Vibora's surprisingly uncomfortable, but worth knocking out early because of its poor throughput. Judge Roy Scream is a fantastic classic-style coaster that's well worth waiting for (if classics are your thing).

Does Runaway Mountain have an air conditioned queue? If so, maybe we'll save that for later and love every second of standing in it. If not, never-mind.

Much of it is outdoors if I remember correctly. I actually screwed up when I was there and walked in through the exit (I didn't know that the ride was exempt from fastpass), and the ops just threw me on an open seat rather than sending me back to the entrance.

Some of the line is outdoors, some is inside. The line was not bad when we were there, so it was mostly indoor waiting for us. I can see the outdoor line being brutal on a hot day.

It gets very hot here durring the day. This is the only park I have been to that has air conditioning in an outdoor line besides Disney.

20170706_141912.thumb.jpg.808e38699dcdc57162ec4e532aafdc94.jpg

Outdoor section

20170706_142329.thumb.jpg.ee3156088b0eb599f567cbdede14a19b.jpg

Imdoor

20170706_150552.thumb.jpg.c5449dfc285bebeb46889c10a20f61a6.jpg

Air conditioning in an outdoor line.