TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

^ This is the first time I've heard someone say they prefer the lapbars on SFNE's Superman. I prefer the less bulky ones on Ride of Steel without a doubt. They actually rest on your lap rather than your thigh.

Same, Id prefer something like this:

aaeeupg

The reason I hate those lapbars is the stupid useless shin guard.

What coaster is that?

Those restraints look very good . . . . if I could, I'd re-do the trains on the Arrow Loopers with those restraints

That is Coaster Through the Clouds at a Wanda Park in Xinjian China. Those are Intamins newest restraints, they also feature them on their new 10 inversion coasters. Also THANK GOD those things are gone! When did they remove them? I thought the awful state of NY required them like Mass does.

What coaster is that?

Those restraints look very good . . . . if I could, I'd re-do the trains on the Arrow Loopers with those restraints

That is Coaster Through the Clouds at a Wanda Park in Xinjian China. Those are Intamins newest restraints, they also feature them on their new 10 inversion coasters. Also THANK GOD those things are gone! When did they remove them? I thought the awful state of NY required them like Mass does.

When they got the new train.

Heave Ho, Big Kahuna and Pirate closed today. Tantrum currently down

^ This is the first time I've heard someone say they prefer the lapbars on SFNE's Superman. I prefer the less bulky ones on Ride of Steel without a doubt. They actually rest on your lap rather than your thigh.

I'm a VERY skinny person, so I'd be fine with either one.

Sadly I think that requires new trains because the reason Darien Lake went to one train operation was to harvest parts from the old second train (what do expect from the company that bankrupt SF when they owned it).

Most of the trains aren't that cannibalized, they just aren't used to save on the cost side of inspection/refurb/labor. Even if a train only gets used half the time when needed it still requires all the same teardown and extra time being inspected each day. The only additional trains I know of that don't require typical annual level refurb to get operational is Viper's third train (yes it technically does exist). There was some intent on readying Predator and Viper 2 trains this year, but don't know how much Tantrum overruns beat that up. RoS second train is a cool million bucks so it's a big pill to swallow. And for that price tag you get Intamin's wonderful fab quality where cars are +/- 1/2" dimensionally out of spec side to side.

As far as I can tell, Heave Ho and Pirate have been closed all season so far. Corn Popper was closed today too.

Corn Popper was open when I went yesterday, they just had problems around 4-ish and I guess decided to close it for the rest of the day.

Was Twister open? I am starting to think it is SBNO this year, because it has been closed every time I’ve visited the park this year, and every time it was closed, it was not listed as being closed at the main gate.

Was Twister open? I am starting to think it is SBNO this year, because it has been closed every time I’ve visited the park this year, and every time it was closed, it was not listed as being closed at the main gate.

Did you check the signs they post right in front of the turnstiles? I don't recall it being there but ya never know. It's weird how Pirate and Heave No are closed still, it shouldn't take this long to fix them up pretty sure.

We're planning on visiting the park this June, and have not been there since Six Flags ran it.

We are bringing the whole family, so just a couple quick questions....

Does the park offer any type of parent swap program?

And what's a good plan of attack to get the park done in one day?

Thank you for any advice.

^ A quick peek at the website didn't show a parent swap program available, but maybe other frequent visitors might know more info.

As far as getting through the park in one day, that "shouldn't" be a problem for you as the park isn't all that large. If you're planning on spending a lot of time in the water park, however...that could slow things down because if it's sunny and warm, lines for the slides can get insane.

And if there is a concert that night, be prepared for large crowds and one train operations on their coasters.

If you can somehow plan your visit on a weekday when there isn't a concert, crowds shouldn't be too bad.

Edited by Philrad71

Twister is not SBNO. It was open last weekend and ran all day long (Sunday) it was also at certain points attracting fairly large crowds - more than the 3 or 4 people it usually runs cycles for which was nice to see

We're planning on visiting the park this June, and have not been there since Six Flags ran it.

We are bringing the whole family, so just a couple quick questions....

Does the park offer any type of parent swap program?

And what's a good plan of attack to get the park done in one day?

Thank you for any advice.

I usually go clockwise around the park, which works, then I have about an hour of extra time to ride anything I like a lot (Tantrum, Ride of Steel, Blast Off, etc), also like someone said above, check their concert schedule, as they have a pretty big concert venue, so the park can get busy.

I have no idea about a parent swap program, never heard of it..

I have not seen any parent swap program at the park, but you can try to ask Guest Relations when you get there. Also, because of one train ops, expect a line to take FOREVER even if it appears to be a short line up. Any line in the switchbacks on Ride of Steel will be at least an hour, even though it looks like a 30 minute wait. Also with RoS, on top of on my one train, each loading cycle takes forever because of the new stricter requirements for how large the rider can be.

I have not seen any parent swap program at the park, but you can try to ask Guest Relations when you get there. Also, because of one train ops, expect a line to take FOREVER even if it appears to be a short line up. Any line in the switchbacks on Ride of Steel will be at least an hour, even though it looks like a 30 minute wait. Also with RoS, on top of on my one train, each loading cycle takes forever because of the new stricter requirements for how large the rider can be.

What are the requirements for how large a rider can be on Ride of Steel? I know for Superman: RoS at SFA, they have a test seat to see if a larger person can fit. Also, because of the restraints used (t-bar?), the height limit of the rider is 76 inches (6-4)

What are the requirements for how large a rider can be on Ride of Steel? I know for Superman: RoS at SFA, they have a test seat to see if a larger person can fit. Also, because of the restraints used (t-bar?), the height limit of the rider is 76 inches (6-4)

Over 270 pounds you can forget it. At that weight I barely fit on Superman the Ride which is more accommodating than ROS. However, it is more accommodating now than when it was with those idiotic shin guards.

Edited by 3Mutts

Thanks for the help!

I may just have to call the park about the parent swap. Can't find anything in the website about it.

There is a parent swap program. Just let the ride attendents know and they will accomodate it. No special pass is required.

For RoS, I have seen many “walks of shame” over the last couple of years now, most people kicked off weren’t even appearing to be very big. I was told that Intamin told Darien that the angle the lap bar was at needed to be lower, and that the lights on the buttons at the ends of the platform on each side had to stop flashing in order for the computer to dispatch the train. Also, with the new train, there isn’t even a test seat out front. You can’t find out if you will fit until you wait in line and get onto the ride.

Advantages of the six flags takeover would be that the park will have access to the engineers and programmers of SF which might bring an updated version of the old computer system on ROS, instead of Intamins standard shitty program.

@thrillrider

Parent swaps are pretty easy, one parent waits in the queue as normal while the other waits in the exit; this works best if you both have cell phones and communicate when you're 2nd in line so the flow of traffic isn't slowed for more than a couple cycles. You can then tell the attendants and even inform the guests behind you in line so everyone is aware. The parent in line rides alone or with a child tall enough, then the other parent rides. If you only have one child who wants to ride, they can ride with both parents.

Just talk to the attendants and they'll hook you up, I'd suggest riding anywhere except row 1 since people will get pissed if you do. Attendants don't mind but I have had an incident where a confrontational guest had to be removed from line after the parents swapping didn't inform them. Just trying to save you from dealing with stupid people. Have fun!