TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

I also wonder if CA State regulations/OSHA makes them jump through more hoops that Texas.

Still, though... you'd think they would've at least announced an open date by now...

That's not a far fetched thought. Structures in CA have to meet certain requirements due to earthquakes, but the last I saw, they were adding more wooden walkways to the side of the turn before the first drop.

It's cute how I was so naively optimistic about this opening fairly early in the season. Oh, well.

It's actually kinda shocking that Six Flags opened the same ride before a Cedar Fair park. Then again, Knott's is opening their new coaster on Friday and SFMM hasn't even gone vertical with their giant Frisbee, which is more like I've come to expect. I wonder why CGA's raptor is taking so long to open? You'd think they would want to capitalize on the Memorial Day holiday weekend to drive guests to the park.

The user that stated that SF had an agreement to open Wonder Women first is correct. With regard to SFMM, they didn't open up Justice LEague until July last year. I expect that July is the earliest this year. KBF announces the grand opening just a few weeks ago and they were rather last minute on ERT for Hang Time. It would not surprise me if CGA is the same way and communicates everything fairly last minute. I would like to think they want this operational by Memorial Day, but it would not surprise me if it went into June.

I also wonder if CA State regulations/OSHA makes them jump through more hoops that Texas.

Still, though... you'd think they would've at least announced an open date by now...

That's not a far fetched thought. Structures in CA have to meet certain requirements due to earthquakes, but the last I saw, they were adding more wooden walkways to the side of the turn before the first drop.

Yeah, it's not as crazy as an idea as people may think. As an example, I've seen entire construction projects come to a screeching halt while they wait for workers to complete their 24-hour competent person fall protection training. Not saying that's what the issue is here, but delays are sometimes more minor than people think.

Hello there!

I am heading to CGA for the first time ever tomorrow. Since it is a Thursday, the website said that there would be "intermittent limited operation" on rides. What does this usually mean? Are at least all of the major attractions going to be open?

I'm not a NorCal local, but I visited CGA about 2 years ago during the same period, and it generally means that while the major rides will be open, some of the flats (including Eagle's Flight, their skyway) and shows/entertainment won't be, or only open for certain hours. That said, last time I did it, the vast majority of the park was open and operational. But YMMV.

I'm not a NorCal local, but I visited CGA about 2 years ago during the same period, and it generally means that while the major rides will be open, some of the flats (including Eagle's Flight, their skyway) and shows/entertainment won't be, or only open for certain hours. That said, last time I did it, the vast majority of the park was open and operational. But YMMV.

Thank you for the response! I do not mind shows and some flat rides being closed. As long as I could get on Gold Striker and Flight Deck (possibly many times because it will be a pre-summer weekday), I will be totally content!

UPDATE: I went to the park today. Again, first time ever, so it was a blast getting to experience Flight Deck and Gold Striker for the first time. I rode Flight Deck seven times and Gold Striker five times. I got a few rides on The Demon and Patriot, as well as one ride on Psycho Mouse and Drop Tower: Scream Zone. As expected, Flight Deck and Gold Striker kicked serious tail. Those coasters were worth the trip alone. Otherwise I was not too impressed with CGA. I had some high expectations since I grew up in SoCal and went to Knott's Berry Farm very often. I thought CGA would be similar, but it was just kind of meh. Most of the park's flat rides and shops were closed because it was a Thursday. The Grizzly opened at 2 PM and swarms of teenagers went over to ride it as soon as it opened so I did not bother with getting that credit.

I think what really spoiled the trip for me was the amount of teenagers there today. I can confidently say that 90% of the park attendees were high school groups. I was just there by myself so it was not the best time being in line and riding coasters with a bunch of obnoxious, loud teenagers. Maybe I am just getting old. I don't know. I had a great time on Flight Deck and Gold Striker and I would say those two rides were worth the money to get in, but I am not going to rush back to the park anytime soon. Maybe after the initial buzz of Rail Blazer being open, I will try to catch CGA on a weekday mid/late summer and get some rides on it.

Hello,

So, my friend is at the park today on a field trip with her class. She send me some photos of Railblazer, then told me that a maintenance tech told her that they were hoping to have the ride open for the holiday weekend. Please note that the preceding statement is served with a giant grain of salt.

I also have a question for those who have more familiarity with the park than I do (while I live in Berkeley, I visit the park only once every 2-3 years). Warning, this is one of those much maligned "crowd prediction" questions. I want to visit the park this summer, but due to many summer plans and having two kids, my opportunities to visit are limited. The possible days that I can go are either Thursday or Friday, June 14 or 15, or Thursday or Friday, July 5 or 6. Crowd-wise, which of those days would give me better odds for low crowds (or, at least, not packed-to-the-gills crowds)? If Railblazer doesn't open until after mid-June, then the decision would effectively be made for me. But, assuming that it's open by then, which would you CGA veterans choose? Thanks.

I want to visit the park this summer, but due to many summer plans and having two kids, my opportunities to visit are limited. The possible days that I can go are either Thursday or Friday, June 14 or 15, or Thursday or Friday, July 5 or 6. Crowd-wise, which of those days would give me better odds for low crowds (or, at least, not packed-to-the-gills crowds)? If Railblazer doesn't open until after mid-June, then the decision would effectively be made for me. But, assuming that it's open by then, which would you CGA veterans choose? Thanks.
Of those dates, I would pick Thursday 6/14 for sure. Weekdays are always better than weekends, and always avoid holidays. With Independence day being on Weds 7/4, a lot of people may just take weds, thurs, and fri off of work, so that thurs and fri may be really busy.

TR from the park yesterday:

My Platinum pass had gotten stolen literally the day before, so I worried if I'd have any trouble parking, getting in, and using FunPix and drink pass. I actually managed to go through most of the day scanning my pass from my phone for everything.

I hadn't been to CGA in a few years and was hoping that Railblazer would be open by now, but we still had a good time. Besides some school groups that we avoided for the most part, park was pretty dead. I think longest we waited was maybe 10-15 minutes for Grizzly but several rides were walk-on or one train wait, including Flight Deck and Goldstriker.

This was my first time riding Patriot since the conversion. I absolutely HATED Vortex with a passion. I was skeptical about whether I'd like Patriot and well.... still hated it. Saying this ride is "better than Vortex" just means the trash is slightly less trash than before, the poo has been polished but it's still poo, etc. First ride I rode in the back left... big mistake. Basically from the end of the drop to the brakes I was struggling to prevent my ears from bashing. Ended up wrapping my arms around the top of the restraint to give my ears more cushion and punched myself in the face twice. Heard from a friend that maybe back left wasn't the best idea, try front and center. Nope. Still sucked. Still got punched. My friend, however, liked Patriot and thought it was less rough than Goldstriker (?????????). At least for me, I can safely say I do not have the urge to ride that ride ever again.

Goldstriker was just as fun and maybe even funner than I remembered it... in the front. Back row has gotten a lot more jarring. It's not rough compared to lots of other rougher wooden coasters, but compared to what it was? Rougher. I like Mystic Timbers better (dat shed tho).

I must say, though, CGA employees are really dumb when it comes to Platinum passes. Maybe they just don't see them enough? The girl at Goldstriker was super confused both times I went to get FunPix. My first ride I ended up having to use the kiosk because she had no idea what to do. Second time she said she scanned my pass correctly and obviously didn't because I didn't get that photo. Manager at the season pass center was also dumb. I showed him my pass uploaded on the KI app and he said, "You'll have to go to Kings Island to get a new pass." I told him my Platinum was actually renewed at Cedar Point but it didn't matter. He said if he gave me a new pass it would say, "California's Great America" on it and I wouldn't be able to get into the other parks. Um...what? Also, has it always costed $15 for a replacement? I paid my f*&$#@ arm and leg to buy this pass in the first place, and they're going to charge me for a new card?

Overall, though, it was a good day. Weather was perfect.

Funniest moment: when we were in line for Grizzly and I told my friend it was voted the worst wooden coaster in the U.S. Her, totally serious: "OMG really? That's awesome! I never thought I'd be able to say I rode the worst roller coaster."

IMG_8705.thumb.jpg.4a6a85d96f09fa48374e4cc0e3d3d8ae.jpg

Railblazer looks even more amazing and stunning in person!

IMG_8706.thumb.jpg.a1151bcb4751229a8d57d431fac6e78e.jpg

The sign is now up

IMG_8710.thumb.jpg.aefec7ea8e6a258d0ff506fee4791ec0.jpg

I may not be able to ride it yet, but at least I can try out the seat.

IMG_8714.thumb.jpg.6973ac1d27a362c66868295b4ea18aa2.jpg

It's Spring, and no Railblazer. Sadface. :'(

IMG_8717.thumb.jpg.1ad35db66dd577bf096ac5e27bbc9bff.jpg

Such wow

IMG_8725.thumb.jpg.5e1499c2a19f3076e7e0300070d168ec.jpg

We got spit on by a giant worm and loved it!

IMG_8728.thumb.jpg.e3c8c3125e1ba1c1fc19ab9dfe2ab89d.jpg

I had to take a picture of this drink machine, because this was FIRE. The juices were so scrumptious and tasty and not too sweet. All CF parks should get these! Such great flavors. Wish we had gone here first rather than getting sodas earlier in the day.

IMG_8730.thumb.jpg.95788d96f9dc3c14f8e425b3dee1d460.jpg

Obligatory carousel shot. Still talked about riding it and never rode it.

387303_7880092.thumb.jpg.a50843fb0796ca25c95e30efbb326b33.jpg

This was the one and only time I smiled on this ride....sorta

387303_7881950.thumb.jpg.a9e17c62f9de155f2febbb9a23dfdbc0.jpg

Still a solid ride and one of the best GCIs!

387303_7882349.thumb.jpg.c3846151e59a795a2b8452b8196938e6.jpg

Getting ready for the pain

I must say, though, CGA employees are really dumb when it comes to Platinum passes. Maybe they just don't see them enough? The girl at Goldstriker was super confused both times I went to get FunPix. My first ride I ended up having to use the kiosk because she had no idea what to do. Second time she said she scanned my pass correctly and obviously didn't because I didn't get that photo. Manager at the season pass center was also dumb. I showed him my pass uploaded on the KI app and he said, "You'll have to go to Kings Island to get a new pass." I told him my Platinum was actually renewed at Cedar Point but it didn't matter. He said if he gave me a new pass it would say, "California's Great America" on it and I wouldn't be able to get into the other parks. Um...what? Also, has it always costed $15 for a replacement? I paid my f*&$#@ arm and leg to buy this pass in the first place, and they're going to charge me for a new card?

Yeah, basically. The one year that I bought a platinum pass since I was planning to visit both KBF and CP that year, I had the same problems at CGA. They looked at me like I was trying to scam them with a forged card I made myself or something. There's just no CF parks out here on the west coast for the most part..most people who live here don't see the value of buying a platinum pass, because most go to either just CGA or just KBF, and even going back and forth between those two gets expensive fast, so as a result, they don't see very many. I bet even KBF sees more platinum passes than CGA.

They have no idea what platinum is and when they do it’s a shock. Like, “whoooooooa! Platinum??? Royalty.” The park as a whole is on a much lower level of talent than other parks, nearby or far. Hope that doesn’t hold up ops for railblazer

Would be great if they get it opened this weekend. Saw a pix a couple days back of maintenance guys riding it.

^^^^Those are some great Railblazer photos. I'll remember the flavored water tip, because honestly Lifewater (etc.) is my go-to fountain drink when I'm lucky enough to find it.

Funniest moment: when we were in line for Grizzly and I told my friend it was voted the worst wooden coaster in the U.S. Her, totally serious: "OMG really? That's awesome! I never thought I'd be able to say I rode the worst roller coaster."

I've had a similar moment before, as I know someone who hasn't ridden any wooden coasters other than Grizzly.

Next week I'm flying out of SJC to go to the Midwest for a coaster trip including King's Island, Kentucky Kingdom, and Holiwood Nights at Holiday World. Hopefully when I fly back to SJC on the morning of June 5th Railblazer will be open so I can ride it shortly after getting off the plane. I have a Knott's Platinum Pass, so hopefully I won't have a problem getting the 20% discount on food and merch (I don't have FunPix) and refilling my purple 2018 Knott's cup at King's Island. I did go to CGA in March and had no issues with my Knott's Platinum Pass getting 20% off my Railblazer shirt in the main gift shop, or with parking or entry - I didn't use it for anything else though and at CGA at least they're familar with Knott's.

On Patriot, I didn't like it either. I thought it was barely better than Vortex, and I rode it in the front row which is probably the best. Patriot/Vortex is the second worst B&M I've been on (the distinction for worst goes to Green Lantern at SFGAdv).

Going back to Janae's TR, they now have those Barrilitos machines at Knott's at Boardwalk BBQ and the Camp Snoopy drink refill station but only have two of those flavors: Strawberry Hibiscus and Mango Lime. I tried them last time I was at Knott's and I especially liked the Mango Lime flavor which will now be a regular drink for me every time I go to Knott's. I think the Barrilitos flavors might be regional to the Southwest and the West Coast, but I'm not sure. When I went to King's Island in 2016 it was the only theme park I've seen Barq's Red Creme Soda on tap, which I think is regional to that area. Nice pictures btw, looks like you had fun besides Railblazer not being ready for you.

This made me lol. I'm actually surprised no park has taken something like this in stride yet and used it as a marketing tactic. "Voted world's worst wooden coaster! Will you brave Grizzly?"

when i added funpix this year, they gave me a new card with the qr code instead of the old bar code. i heard others having their cards replaced with the drink plan. not sure if that had something to do with your photos not working or not. i did get my new card at the same park i bought it at though, knott's.

when i added funpix this year, they gave me a new card with the qr code instead of the old bar code. i heard others having their cards replaced with the drink plan. not sure if that had something to do with your photos not working or not. i did get my new card at the same park i bought it at though, knott's.

Honestly I had the some issues with my Platinum Pass at CGA last year. They seemed very poorly trained. I remember hoping that I just got someone who wasn't fully trained yet, but maybe it's a much bigger problem there lol...

I bought my pass online through the CW web site, actually had my photo taken and got my pass at Knotts, and then went to use it again at CGA and the girl looked at me like I had two heads lol. It ended up being fine once she called a manager over, but I have no idea what could have been so confusing about a Platinum Pass!