TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

I can confirm no discount. Yesterday I bought it at one of the gift shops and he asked me for my pass and scanned it in and it literally said "no discount available" on the screen, lol

I can also confirm the standby line for Twisted Timbers yesterday must have been insane. Only one train running and moved agonizingly slow (unlike Steel Vengeance they still had Fast Lane going).

Twisted Timbers was a fantastic ride that only got better as the day went on. Also in the morning I got 3 rides in the back row of i305 without getting up and had an out of body experience lol.

Even though it was the holiday even if we didn't have fast lane we got a lot covered in the back of the park as everything was walk-on or past merge point in the early morning. As the day went on crowds got really heavy. The Dominator queue when we got there every single switchback was full and it was spilling out onto the Midway. FL+ got us right on and was sorely needed.

Unfortunately Volcano was closed for the entire day

Had an awesome day except it was hot as hell. Lots of breaks. Anyway, off to Busch today for food and wine festival!

I wonder if they will get it back up for CoasterCon. It is featured heavily in the preliminary ert schedule on the 19th and 20th, two full days at KD. I've been following the thread a bit to catch up on news since I will be bringing my son.

Has Volcano been down this whole time? It was down all day yesterday too.

It's been down for about 3 weeks now, but it was operating before that.

Does Volcano have more downtime than usual for an Intamin?

In my experience, Volcano operates pretty reliably on days it's open. But when it goes down, it goes down for multiple days/weeks at a time.

Perfectly said. Volcano was down for weeks (maybe even a month or two) before my visit last summer, but for the two days I was there, it operated perfectly and was pumping out trains with no issue as far as I could tell.

Volcano was still down today.

It was working fine on my previous visit May 6.

Great visit today. The weather was pretty nice and the crowds were light. I was surprised that I305 was running two trains.

Hey guys, first time going to Kings Dominion in a while! I was hoping someone could help me answer a few questions about the park. Thanks in advance!!!

1. What's the best strategy to minimize wait times? Should I go to twisted timbers first, then try to knock out Dominator/Flight of Fear/Volcano?

2. Between Saturday June 23rd and Sunday June 24th, will there be a noticeable difference in crowds? I was thinking of going on Saturday so I wouldn't be tired at work on Monday

3. Are lockers free? I understand you have to remove loose articles for FoF/I305 and TT

4. Is Dinosaurs Alive! Free?

5. What are some roller coasters/rides that usually have a very short wait that we can do anytime?

6. Any recommendations for dining options?

1. What's the best strategy to minimize wait times? Should I go to twisted timbers first, then try to knock out Dominator/Flight of Fear/Volcano?

I would go to Twisted Timbers first, and get on one of the first trains of the day. If they're running two trains, you can probably reride a few times. Then I usually walk across the back midway and hit I305 5-8 times. For you, I'd recommend doing Volcano (if it's running) and FoF before I305, as it never really generates a line, even on busy days. While you're in the area, you can hit Backlot as well. Again, if Volcano is running, it's also not a bad idea to go there first, as it's definitely the worst line in the park.

2. Between Saturday June 23rd and Sunday June 24th, will there be a noticeable difference in crowds? I was thinking of going on Saturday so I wouldn't be tired at work on Monday

Depends if you're getting FL+ or not. I never go on Saturdays, so I'm not sure how busy it gets. But Sundays are without question less crowded.

3. Are fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo free? I understand you have to remove loose articles for FoF/I305 and TT

Not free. The loose article policy is this: you can't bring any truly loose items into the line like bags. Glasses with straps are fine. And they will let you put glasses / hats down your shirt, or in your pockets. My suggestion is to wear pants with zipper pockets and don't bring a bag into the park.

4. Is Dinosaurs Alive! Free?

It's an up charge with regular admission. But it's included with gold and platinum passes.

5. What are some roller coasters/rides that usually have a very short wait that we can do anytime?

Grizzly! And as long as you're not a snob, it's a great ride.

They've got a make your own mac and cheese place this year. I like the crab cake sliders at Outer Hanks too. The burgers at Hippo's and Jukebox aren't bad, and all the sides and toppings are super fresh.

They've got a make your own mac and cheese place this year. I like the crab cake sliders at Outer Hanks too. The burgers at Hippo's and Jukebox aren't bad, and all the sides and toppings are super fresh.

I really want to try the Mac N Cheese restaurant at some point. $15 seems pretty steep though

^We had the Dining Plan when we went, so we didn't pay $15 for it. But I absolutely would, if I went again and didn't have the plan! I loved the Mac N Cheese bowl, and all the yummy topping options! One of my favorite park foods I've ever had a an amusement park! (Not including fancier theme parks, to be clear.)

THANK YOU, steamedturtle!! That is exactly what I was looking for.

I think our plan will be to head for Twisted Timbers first, and then try to knock out Volcano, Flight of Fear and I305 before the lines get too long.

Definitely go for Twisted Timbers early since it was having some problems early in the year and it'd be a bummer if you miss it. As others have said, Volcano will have the longest line so it's smart to hit that early. While I305 won't get a crazy long line, it is an Intamin so it'd be wise to hit it early just in case the cable doesn't decide to play nice.

I was just there Tuesday and also second going to timbers first but make sure to come back later. It seemed to run much better in the afternoon than the morning when it had time to warm up. Also make sure to ride i305 as many times as possible. It's an absolute masterpiece and blows my mind the locals don't seem to know what they have.

THANK YOU, steamedturtle!! That is exactly what I was looking for. I think our plan will be to head for Twisted Timbers first, and then try to knock out Volcano, Flight of Fear and I305 before the lines get too long.

FYI the word on the street is Volcano will be down for a while more which sucks because it spent the majority of last summer broken and is IMO the most fun ride in the park. I'll be there in a couple weeks so hopefully it opens up for both of us!

I-305 never has a line... ever... but even if all the switchbacks are filled it's only a 35 min wait. Flight of Fear can get decent lines though. Don't forget to hit up Boo Blasters which is really fun and air conditioned. Have a great time and please be sure to post a little update/TR of your visit!

The main crowds season starts July 4th weekend so I would think Volcano will be up by then if they have any control over it at all.

As to crowds Sat. Jun 23, shouldn't be near as bad as 2 or 3 weeks later, but still when you put Sunday and Saturday next to each other, Saturday sucks it. Both get better late in the day, so if you can be there at both open and close on Saturday (and maybe leave for a while during the hottest part of the day), but not on Sunday, that would offset the difference somewhat. Still, as well as wait times or the cost of fastpass, there's your tolerance for crowds to consider.

In general, how long will lines be for the big attractions if I go on Saturday June 23rd? like will any coaster be 60+ minutes? Are most of them 20-30 minutes?

Saturday June 23rd is the final day of PointFest, their annual Christian music festival and youth group gathering. My first visit to KD was on a PointFest Saturday (I didn't know in advance) and it was absolutely slam-packed, to the point where the line for Dominator was all the way back out to the sign. It was an absolute nightmare and the only thing that got us through the day was Fast Lane Plus. If you don't want to splurge for that, I recommend waiting until Sunday instead.