TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Just got back from Cedar Point. Was there from Sunday til today. Stayed at Breakers for the first time and all I can say I wished I had stayed there sooner. I have always stayed off site and I have found most of those hotels leave a lot to be desired.

On to Cedar Point itself. Steel Vengence is now my favorite coaster there. As a guy in the Hotel said "its riding Maverick on steroids" . I did manage to get 2 rides on it yesterday even with it being down most of the day. My 2nd ride was during the Pass Holder event. For those who say stay away in May, I find its the best time to go. Lines are at most 15 to 20 minutes tops. In August when I go back I know I will have to get Fastlane as its usually really busy then.

After all the years I have been going to Cedar Point and having Wonderland as my home park, I have notice big differences that make it feel like they aren't part of the same chain.

Having a signature sitdown restaurant in the park is strange to me. Cedar Point has Melt and Chickie and Petes. I can't even think of one at Wonderland.

All the ride ops on all the coasters at Cedar Point try to entertain the riders as well as tell you about the coaster. I never see that at Wonderland. I think the biggest thing that blows my mind is how at Wonderland they never mention Platinum passes anywhere.

I just got back from a trip to Cedar Point this past weekend. Stayed at Breakers which is pretty dam good after the remodel. I haven't been to Cedar Point since Gate Keeper opened. Steel Vengeance was an amazing ride. Worth the 9 hour drive from Charlotte. They were only running 1 train. Could not use Fast pass and they were telling people the wait was 3 hours. it was not. We did turn away at first but said fuck it, we drove here for this. The wait ended up only being a little more than hour. We had a good time. Cedar Point has to try to figure out their maintenance nightmare. It seemed like every ride was going down every 30 mins or so. Was ridiculous. Even the B&M's were going down. Wasn't very windy so I dunno. It's time to close that Market Buffet. The food gets worse with each visit. Thank God for Thirsty Pony. Love that place. Definitely a one of a kind.

...Hopefully RMC can figure out what's going on with these newer trains and their restraint cylinders before a serious incident occurs.

Aren't the seatbelts there to prevent "a serious incident" in the unlikely event of a complete restraint failure??

^^ People love Midway Market. I’ve been preaching about how much it sucked for years but I was starting to think it was just me.

Midway Market is honestly the most efficient and brilliant setup for a buffet that I’ve ever seen at a theme park. It backs up to the picnic area so the kitchen is already there, they just charge people a ton of money to eat the horrible picnic area food that they’re already cooking in that kitchen anyway and people happily pay for it in droves.

I respect the concept of Midway Market but it’s awful food. Midway Market will never die though, the kitchen already needs to be there and people keep eating there. I guess it’s an improvement over Coasters Drive In.

I've never eaten at the Midway Market. What I am surprised with is that I would have thought Melt would be more popular but of all the times I have been the last 2 years I have never seen a wait

we ate at Midway Market when we went for CoasterMania! last year, and it was ok.

actually, I'd rate it as slightly better than OK: For the price, and options variety-wise? it was a good deal, and most of what I tried was from decent to so-so, nothing so awful I spit it out.

it was perfectly serviceable "bad" buffet food.. but I like crappy buffets, so I was happy.

yep, nothing stellar, but nothing terrible either.

IMG_1947.thumb.JPG.b3b7f1c462500d6460f1a16201b76f1e.JPG

IMG_1948.thumb.JPG.c0d8445825b82b41af0b2f284c47cca1.JPG

^ Me, and I think that was my first course...the salad plate. Like Bert said, it was okay. Nothing to go back to, if I did go back to the park.

I remember the dessert area being really nice with hot and cold fruit compotes, etc. Very yummy! But now that it's been open for a year, I think I'd rather go to MELT and eat and drink there, for an afternoon meal. But - MM is good for families trying to budget them self a bit, here and there.

IMG_3826.JPG.6be8831fb720e45414f5022014702287.JPG

What it looked like, before I demolished it, lol. June 3, 2017.

RMC seems to have made some major updates to Steel Vengeance's Final Brake Run! Hopefully we'll have two train operations back shortly! (If I had to guess, this is probably how trains were supposed to slow down on the final brake run all along.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZXkE2EuFks

Great video! It's impressive to see how many changes they've implemented on the final brake run. It really is a night and day difference.

Saw these today at Steel Vengeance, dont know if they are new or old but that pallet was not there yesterday. Also as we were leaving today driving on the outer road from hotel Breakers at around 2:15 there were a bunch of work trucks outside of Steel Vengeance by the lift hill and i saw 5 people, 3 with faded dayglo green Rocky Mountain shirts and the other 2 had blue Cedar Point shirts. Hopefully this means 3 train operation for the holiday weekend.

20180524_105904.thumb.jpg.0230e4a435c3f2847b224de1d626e016.jpg

20180524_135539.thumb.jpg.803b549cb844253dbb200f5c9f41789c.jpg

Great video! That certainly does look like a major improvement, even if it's a much more abrupt stop at the end. I, too, hope the park can get at least another train on there very soon.

especially for my trip in mid-june...

Very interesting. Hopefully two train operation will come this weekend, and once more of the kinks get worked out, we can see them run all three trains in the summer like planned. This is Cedar Point so I fully expect them to get this ride running at optimal capacity ASAP.

Sorry to be slightly off topic on 1st question:

Favorite restaurants around Sandusky? I'm already planning to head to Bay Harbor for dinner one night.

Is there any type of side entrance to enter / leave the park during the middle of the day from Breakers Hotel, or need to go through the front?

Assume water rides will be open throughout the park after Memorial Day given that the waterpark is open?

As I see the before and after video of the brake run changes and other POV footage, I am wondering if the brake run is long enough for three train operation if the trains have to stop completely in the first brake. If that train hasn't cleared that brake before another gets to the mid-course brake, the mid-course would have to stop the train there. I guess they can slow the chain to remedy this to some extent, but that brake run looks pretty short. And what if all three trains have to be at the station at the same time?

Favorite restaurants around Sandusky? I'm already planning to head to Bay Harbor for dinner one night.

Thirsty pony is fun with a good menu.

Brick oven bistro has awesome pizza.

Diana's is decent diner food.

Chet and Matt's has good pizza as well.

As I see the before and after video of the brake run changes and other POV footage, I am wondering if the brake run is long enough for three train operation if the trains have to stop completely in the first brake. If that train hasn't cleared that brake before another gets to the mid-course brake, the mid-course would have to stop the train there. I guess they can slow the chain to remedy this to some extent, but that brake run looks pretty short. And what if all three trains have to be at the station at the same time?

The brake run is most definitely long enough for three train operation. It will run like most 3-train B&Ms (that have 2 blocks before the station and a MCBR).

If all the trains need to be at the station, there's one in the station, one in the block behind it, and the third one on the final brakes, again, just like the B&Ms. Also, the ride is very long and the time between the lift and MCBR and the MCBR and final brakes is quite a lot. The way the coaster's layout and block system is set up, it should be able to run three trains without any stacking at all, no problem.

Why the trains bumped is still a mystery for sure, but I am totally confident that Cedar Point and RMC intended for this ride to have three train service.

There are two blocks on the break-run. In the after part of the video where the train comes to a complete stop the first time, that's the first block. The second one is located right before the station. So they can totally do a 3 train operation. Now the question is how comfortable are they going to be doing a 3 train operation? The fear would be a train completing the circuit coming in so fast that the drive wheels on the 1st block can't slow it down to a complete stop in time and keep it from bumping into the train sitting on the 1st block. That seems to me to be what happened when the incident occurred. The train was moving so fast coming into the 2nd block that the drive wheels couldn't stop the train. Of course, that's all speculation. They really have two options to make sure this doesn't happen again. One would be using the MCBR to slow the ride to the point that the train hits brake-run at the speed it was designed to. The other would be adding friction brakes to the brake run so the drive wheels aren't the sole thing bring the train to a complete stop. Based on the pictures we've gotten today, the latter of those two options is what they've opted to do.

There are two blocks on the break-run. In the after part of the video where the train comes to a complete stop the first time, that's the first block. The second one is located right before the station. So they can totally do a 3 train operation. Now the question is how comfortable are they going to be doing a 3 train operation?

And that is basically my point. How comfortable can they do three train operation? Those blocks look pretty short or tight. I would think the drive tires were there to help expedite the trains moving forward to keep things moving quickly. Now that those are gone, it appears things will move more slowly. Realistically, I think the brake run needs to be longer to make it completely "comfortable".

Realistically, I think the brake run needs to be longer to make it completely "comfortable".

Go to 2:19 in the video below.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

Storm Chaser's magnetic brakes (which SV also has) gets the ride to a slow crawl fairly quickly when coming towards the station. Yes it might be a longer brake run, but I'm confident Steel Vengeance's magnetic brake run will stop the ride "comfortably" enough (like what was shown in the video posted in the last page). RMC know's what they're doing.

The video on the previous page looks like it now has a longer solid strip of magnets to stop it harder instead of the previous "magnets + wheels" assembly.

I think the fact that Cedar Point advertises this ride to run three trains is enough to prove that the brake run is long enough to hold them. As ZeroGravity said, the train can comfortably stop on the final brake run, therefore there are two blocks before the station. If this was not true, and a train would have to stop on the Mid Course every time there was a slow dispatch, I think it's fair to say that they wouldn't run three trains. Running three trains but sacrificing the intensity of the 2nd half of the ride for a fair bit of it's riders doesn't sound like something Cedar Point would do.