TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Since the ride opened for the day it hasn't gone down. I call bullsh*t.

If the restraint wasn't functioning properly they wouldn't be running the ride.

The row on Digger with the restraint issues has been roped off. This is not the first time an incident like this has happened at SV. They've had multiple issues with restraints not locking and/or restraints erroneously showing a "green" status. TT had a similar incident a few weeks ago that resulted in an e-stop and evacuation on the lift hill.

Hopefully RMC can figure out what's going on with these newer trains and their restraint cylinders before a serious incident occurs.

This guy on Reddit is claiming that the ride showed the bar as locked but he could still move it up and he was telling the ride operator not to dispatch the train. Finally, an op saw it as it was half way out of the station while the guy was trying to get his attention and he hit the E-stop.

I mean, yeah... maybe it's just an issue with one specific seat but I feel like if you have a computer system telling you that a lap bar is verified while in reality it's not holding the rider in at all and they were about 60-90 seconds away from possibly killing a rider depending on how much the bar was actually moving and how well the seatbelt was fastened they would do more than just close off the row and load the next train without looking a little further into that. I guess it's possible that the bar was only moving to a certain point in which case it's not quite as alarming but that's not really how it was conveyed.

I feel like someone's exaggerating a bit here. If there was really a loaded train heading for the lift hill where a rider's lap bar wasn't locked that's kind of a big deal. Personally, I'm skeptical that this actually happened in the way that they claim it happened.

I'm kind of skeptical the restraint had full movement after dispatching. If it were that bad, I'd think they'd shut down Twisted Timbers immediately as well. That'd be a major safety issue. Also wouldn't the restraint check catch it?

Twisted Timbers had issues with the restraints locking in row 2. Kings Dominion just roped it off. I imagine Steel Vengeance may get the same as a short term fix.

I think it's all a crapshoot of "I want to diagnose what's happening first!" because someone is saying that they're cleaning up blood from someone getting hit in the head with a phone. I wouldn't believe any of it unless it's coming from CP/RMC or there are pictures.

Interesting fact: every Intamin and Arrow coaster in the park is able to dispatch a train with every lap bar/harness all the way up. I’m not sure how the RMC operating systems work.

Interesting fact: every Intamin and Arrow coaster in the park is able to dispatch a train with every lap bar/harness all the way up. I’m not sure how the RMC operating systems work.

Sometimes they wiill test millennium with water dummies with only seat belts, the lap bars stay up. This was anout 3 seasons ago so the may have changed their procedures. I just found that to be funny.

Hi everyone!

Tomorrow and Thursday I'm in Cedar Point (finally after 5 years I haven't been here!)

I have a flash pass bought in advance for one of the days and wondering when to use it?

What day is usually busier? Do you think it's best to see how the day goes and then decide? Any tips? I don't have early entry unfortunately.

Hi everyone!

Tomorrow and Thursday I'm in Cedar Point (finally after 5 years I haven't been here!)

I have a flash pass bought in advance for one of the days and wondering when to use it?

What day is usually busier? Do you think it's best to see how the day goes and then decide? Any tips? I don't have early entry unfortunately.

You never really know what crowd levels are going to be, as there are a lot of factors(weather, schools, ect). Obviously weekends are busier. I typically wait untill I get to the park and judge the crowds before buying a fast pass.

Many many rides aren't ever aware of the actual state of the lap bar, only whether the mechanism itself is locked/unlocked. Previous generation RMC trains did require the restraint to be at or below a certain angle (IIRC), but I don't know about the newer ones.

Just booked a trip for next week and am pretty pumped. Some quick questions:

(1) Assume Tuesday / Wednesday (5/29 and 5/30) will be significantly less crowded than Monday, Memorial Day (5/28)? I've got 2 days of passes to use.

(2) Best strategy for hour early entry to the park? Steel Vengeance, Maverick, and then Millennium Force?

(3) On the one day I don't go to Cedar Point, any suggestions for a day trip? Was thinking Cuyahoga Valley National Park would be cool to check out for some hiking / bike rides, but open to ideas. Maybe Put-in-Bay?

I've found a nifty tool...

https://public.tableau.com/views/CedarPointInteractiveCrowdCalendar/CPCrowdPredictor?:embed=y&:display_count=ye&:showVizHome=no

Just input the Forecast, Temp that's expected, the date you plan on going...shows estimated crowd and estimated wait times at different times of the day. But when I get there, I usually just look at the parking lot and go from there. And yes, I wasn't kidding on the earlier post...I ditch everything so I'm not weighed down for the first 6 hours or so.

Early entry with PP, (Don't be weighed down) I usually go to the Resort entrance and beeline to Steel Vengeance. First time for this one, so I'm guessing after the first ride the park will be open anyways. But it maybe worth getting there earlier and seeing if the marina entrance has less people. Remember, the Coaster Freaks will be gearing up for Coastermania next week. There might be a lot of people at the Resort Entrance because they know its a shorter sprint...I mean walk. Safety first!

A couple of other tidbits - Sometimes a traffic pointer wants to know why I'm headed to the backside, I tell 'em I have reservations at Lighthouse Point for that night and want to minimize my down time for checking in later in the day. It's always worked for me, but I've only been asked twice out of maybe 40 visits. And most times I do have reservations anyways.

I've heard they maybe a little more strict this year, but the worst thing that can happen is to find a good spot and walk the distance. Using the Resort Shuttle phone works, too. (For folks who may have a tough time with the walk).

Day trips I always recommend the RNR HOF, and hit up a B Spot on your way back to Sandusky.

Edited by hendrixmarshalljames

1. It's significantly dependent on weather. Memorial Day is usually not very busy considering it's a holiday. On average, Tuesday and Wednesday should not be as busy as Monday, but your mileage may vary. The park may or may not have as many employees working Tuesday and Wednesday as well, so the lower business may not be as noticeable.

2. With the inconsistency of operations and the capacity of the listed rides, that's a good plan. Be prepared to make adjustments based on ride availability.

3. I enjoyed biking around Kelley's Island, and stopping at the winery there. Put-In-Bay is good for a tourist and historic spot. You've got a significant drive to the better areas south of Cleveland for hiking and biking.

A couple of other tidbits - Sometimes a traffic pointer wants to know why I'm headed to the backside, I tell 'em I have reservations at Lighthouse Point for that night and want to minimize my down time for checking in later in the day. It's always worked for me, but I've only been asked twice out of maybe 40 visits. And most times I do have reservations anyways.

I have never been asked about driving to the back. I usually just indicate to the lot attendants that I know where I want to go.

Since the ride opened for the day it hasn't gone down. I call bullsh*t.

If the restraint wasn't functioning properly they wouldn't be running the ride.

so I can actually speak to what happen. On the third train out I was seated in row 10, seat nearest to the stairs which you walk up. When I fasten the seat belt, they pulled down the lap bar. I did double check and it moved up. Their ops do a double check so I figure the second guy would catch it after I had moved it but he didn’t. The restraint was still moving and not locking into place. I was trying to get their attention as was the guy next to me. The train starts to move one of the ops sees that I am able to move the restraint and gets the guy to stop the ride at the same time he did this I press down and it locked into place. The train moved about 6 loading spots as I was stopped at row 4. At this point they took everyone off the train in groups of 4 starting at the back. They then cycled that train through and had it stop in the station. They then had the tech get the second train ready to swap out. Something must have still been wrong and they said they were going to have a long shut down and suggested everyone leave. At that point one of the operations asked me to come with him to talk with their ride operation manager. I met her and gave her a recap of what happen. She was most interested in if I could move the lap bar while the train was moving. She then explained how the locking system worked with the cylinders one controls it when the trAin is stop and one while it was in motion. After the 5 minute discussion she gave me 5 skip the line passes for anything but steel vengeance and one for steel vengeance. The part that through me for a loop was the screen was showing green but I was able to move it. A screen shows that all of the trains are locked just like the one at fury and the riders can see it. Ride was shut down for 5-6 hours. I did ride it later and they blocked off row 10.

This guy on Reddit is claiming that the ride showed the bar as locked but he could still move it up and he was telling the ride operator not to dispatch the train. Finally, an op saw it as it was half way out of the station while the guy was trying to get his attention and he hit the E-stop.

I mean, yeah... maybe it's just an issue with one specific seat but I feel like if you have a computer system telling you that a lap bar is verified while in reality it's not holding the rider in at all and they were about 60-90 seconds away from possibly killing a rider depending on how much the bar was actually moving and how well the seatbelt was fastened they would do more than just close off the row and load the next train without looking a little further into that. I guess it's possible that the bar was only moving to a certain point in which case it's not quite as alarming but that's not really how it was conveyed.

I feel like someone's exaggerating a bit here. If there was really a loaded train heading for the lift hill where a rider's lap bar wasn't locked that's kind of a big deal. Personally, I'm skeptical that this actually happened in the way that they claim it happened.

I didn’t post about it on reddit so that must have been an account from someone else in the station. How it was described to me was that when the train started to move it was able to lick due to the different cylinder controlling it. It did finally lock after the train started to move but the operator in the booth saw something in the booth which triggered them shut it down.

Sounds like a fail safe. The cylinder that locks in the station should be the one that stays locked, but if it fails, the second one takes over. What I'm trying to wrap my head around is if the restraint wasn't locked, why was everything showing green? To me, that should never happen.

More likely a mechanical fault than a software one if the computer gave the All Clear. Defect in the cylinder allowed free-play whilst the sensor showed a locked bar maybe.

It is very weird though as these rides are checked and cycled every morning.

(3) On the one day I don't go to Cedar Point, any suggestions for a day trip? Was thinking Cuyahoga Valley National Park would be cool to check out for some hiking / bike rides, but open to ideas. Maybe Put-in-Bay?

Not sure if you're into wildlife at all, but Sheldon Marsh and Pipe Creek are really cool places to walk around. Haven't checked out the nearby Resthaven, though I've heard some good things about it. As a birding hobbyist, I wish I had the opportunity to check them out when I go up to visit tomorrow and Friday (lots of migrating birds moving their way through), but I doubt I'll get the opportunity.

In any case, whatever you decide to do, have fun, dude!