TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

I've been there in the rain and everything was open - actually rode Superman in a downpour once. It all depends on how hard the rain is and if its lightning and thundering.

^ I usually just use my credit card. It's so much easier than carrying all those ones.

Though one membership perk I'd love to see introduced eventually would be free fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo rentals. No clue if they'd ever do it though or what price level they'd include it.

I'm weary using my bank/credit card in them machines. With how often people's information gets stolen I would rather save the headache of dealing with it. Just in the past 1.5 years my bank card has been compromised twice.

^ I usually just use my credit card. It's so much easier than carrying all those ones.

Though one membership perk I'd love to see introduced eventually would be free fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo rentals. No clue if they'd ever do it though or what price level they'd include it.

I'm weary using my bank/credit card in them machines. With how often people's information gets stolen I would rather save the headache of dealing with it. Just in the past 1.5 years my bank card has been compromised twice.

The one time my credit card was compromised and replaced was Target, so it can happen with any vendor. That's why I just monitor my monthly bank statements.

^ ^^

Thanks for the feedback! Another quick question: How crowded does SFA get Memorial Day weekend? Specifically the dry park.

Last year the lot filled all of the way to the very back. It was loaded. First time I had ever seen it like that.

The crowds seem to have gotten bigger and bigger with the past view seasons. A few times last year and the year before I went and the first lot was completely full, the second lot was completely full and they were working on the third lot that is down the hill way in the back. This is typical for Fright Fest I have noticed too.

On Memorial day weekend, is it just the waterpark that gets crowds or also the dry park?

Also which day of the week (sat, sun or mon) is the least crowded?

On Memorial day weekend, is it just the waterpark that gets crowds or also the dry park?

Also which day of the week (sat, sun or mon) is the least crowded?

Usually Sundays tend to be the slowest non-holiday weekend day.Most times I've done so there's been relatively short lines or even walk-ons.

I guess my question boils down to this:

Is it worth going to SFA on memorial day weekend, or should I just wait until next week?

I only care about the dry park crowds (though I may go into the water park to take a peek at Wahoo river but not ride anything)

Is it worth going to SFA on memorial day weekend, or should I just wait until next week?

I only care about the dry park crowds (though I may go into the water park to take a peek at Wahoo river but not ride anything)

According to the newsletter, Wahoo will not be ready. Dry side will be good to go early on. Not including Batwing, no more than 10-15 minute waits. After about 4, you can hang it up. Some rides will be 25 minutes, plus.

If that's the case then it seems like I shouldn't have too much of an issue for memorial's day. Worst case scenario, we ride a few things and then return home and come back another day. That would be pretty annoying though, as SFA's about an hour drive each way for me.

The park rarely gets really long lines even on holiday weekends. Superman may get to about an hour but everything else is usually less.

So if Darien Lake goes back to being a Six Flags are we no longer the worst one?

Darien Lake really is not that bad of a park. I would hold it even a little higher on the flag pole actually. DL has a great layout - the lake in the middle is well taken care of and adds some beauty to the park, decent coaster and flats, clean grounds plus a good water park. On top of that you have the 26,000 person Live Nation concert venue, the 3rd largest campground in the nation, plus a hotel right on property. I felt like the grounds were well kept - actually saw lots of people working on the flower beds when I was there. Also, I prefer their main entrance walk way to SFA's. SFA's main entrance looks tired, dated, and needs a face lift. Plus, its very general and amusement park basic looking.

What hurts the park is the operations - every coaster only runs one train but their crowds don't get too big. I was there labor day weekend 2 years ago and the longest I waited was about 45 minutes for their moto coaster and Ride of Steel. But that is mostly because of one train operations. The food options could also use an updating.

^ Darien Lake has the infrastructure, an awesome water park, and the headliner coaster most parks would love to have. They just need a better supporting lineup of coasters. Every enthusiast's pipe dream is for the RMC Predator so we can see if that ever comes to fruition.

Six Flags America is the opposite. They have the great coaster lineup, but need help in the other areas.

How much of SFA closed during thunderstorm (as opposed to just normal rain which I’ve been told doesn’t close much). Also, how long does it take after a thunderstorm ends before the rides that closed for thunder reopen?

How much of SFA closed during thunderstorm (as opposed to just normal rain which I’ve been told doesn’t close much). Also, how long does it take after a thunderstorm ends before the rides that closed for thunder reopen?

I think for storms . . . they evacuate the Hurricane Harbor area (that happened to me last year, I saw dark clouds and was like . . . "I'm booking it out of here!")

As far as the rides re-opening, I think they have to wait until the storm cell has left the area (at least 30 minutes) and of course for the rides to dry off

^ It’s Memorial Day, longer lines are to be expected.

Anyway I went today as well and had a nice time. The park was quite crowded (nearly the whole parking lot was being used), but lines never exceeded 20-30min for any of the coasters I rode. Everything was running two trains, and I can confirm that Batwing was running both trains on both sides. Operations were surprisingly good for SFA standards on many of the coasters. At Roar, the two people checking the restraints were literally racing each other to see who could complete their side the fastest, so that line moved at a pretty good pace, though they were doing it so fast I wasn't sure if they actually pulled up on all the restraints and the seatbelts to ensure they were locked.

I finally got a front row ride on S:ROS, and while I was only able to go once: Wow! Everyone who said that ride is best in the front is absolutely right. The view is great and the sensation of speed is incredible! Also I actually got some mild air going up the first hill, which I’ve never really gotten. I would’ve liked to ride more, but the line grew quickly, and we had other coasters to ride.

Also, I got my first 2nd-to-back row on Wild One and it was great! Solid floater and even some moments approaching flejector sort of air! I preferred it to my 2nd row ride I got ~2 months ago, though on my previous ride the cold and the fact that it was very early in the season may have factored into me liking my recent ride more.

Overall I had a fun time at Six Flags America, and look forward to visiting in the future

Ride Count:

Wild One: 2

JJ: 2

S:ROS: 1

Batwing: 1

Roar: 1

Edited by JG-77

^ Darien Lake has the infrastructure, an awesome water park, and the headliner coaster most parks would love to have. They just need a better supporting lineup of coasters. Every enthusiast's pipe dream is for the RMC Predator so we can see if that ever comes to fruition.

Six Flags America is the opposite. They have the great coaster lineup, but need help in the other areas.

Let's keep in mind the enthusiast are not the ones keeping these parks open. The parks know their target audience and its not the enthusiast. Darien Lake and Six Flags America know what works for them. They know not adding a brand new coaster (or moved coaster) every year or so is not going to hurt their fan base or their pocket. The people that go to Six Flags America are the same people who go every year. Lets keep in mind the crowd (mostly) that goes to Six Flags America is a low to middle class family. They more then likely do no other traveling outside of that. Many of them have no idea that there are Six Flags parks across the nation. So, for them something like Apocalypse is new and exciting. They have no idea it was first built in 1990 at Six Flags Great America and has been moved.

^ I agree with that. We make up less than 1% of the park's attendance. Having said that, during college, I had a few friends from Maryland who said they would go to Hershey over SFA because the latter was dumpy to them. Having a well-run park is something that can be appreciated by everyone.

Check this out. If anyone is on the page, Amusement Park Enthusiasts, find this post:

'Tonight, I am heading to Cincinnati to Kings Island, Tuesday will be Cedar Point, Wednesday will be Dorneypark & Six Flags Great Adventure, ThursdayCarowinds,Friday Six Flags America & Kings Dominion, Saturday Six Flags Great America, Sunday,possibly Valleyfair, Monday Six Flags St Louis. And I am driving to all those theme parks.'

When you see his route, you'll say, no way! The post has many comments.