TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

1. Heavily themed attractions tend to be more expensive than outside thrill rides with "implied" theming. The attential to detail, development, getting everything together is just generally more expenisve than plopping down a flat ride or other basic attraction that's less involved than a roller coaster.

Six Flags has already shown they are willing to invest in dark rides with the Justice League attractions they built. As such, they must feel that such attractions are a worthy enough investment, even at a park where the cost of a season pass can be <$100 per year. Further, similar to roller coasters, dark rides can be cloned and designed to fit in a minimal footprint accessible to multiple parks allowing the design costs and production costs to be spread over multiple parks/installations. I'm not expecting/asking for a completely original attraction with a crazy queue to rival Disney/Universal. All I'm saying is that if the Mall of America can build a flying theater type attraction, there's no reason Six Flags couldn't as well (especially if the plan was to put it in multiple parks).

2. Themed attractions are not as re-ridable, as you understand the plotline early on and get the trick after awhile.

That's debatable. I find an attraction like DarKastle at BGE, Spiderman at IOA, or Flight of Passage at DAK to be exceptionally re-ridable. Further, with a screen based attraction, if you do feel there is an issue with attrition, you can simply change up the film/motions and have (essentially) a completely new experience. On top of that, SFA currently has VERY little you can do while it's raining and limited options for when it is cold. Having a dark ride would give guests at least SOMETHING to do under those conditions.

Interesting point. I do agree that over time, I've become more appreciative of better theming and more rides with immersive storylines. If SF could figure out how to make them in a cost effective way, they could be great additions to the park.

The season pass Flash Sale occurs around Labor Day. I'm not sure if a similar sale will be used for the memberships since they're new.

Six Flags claims that the current membership rate at any given time will always be the lowest available. I'd be leery of taking them at their word, though, since it's Six Flags. In fact, I think they actually waffled and said something characteristically silly like "Of course, we might put them on sale someday, it's just that right now we think we won't."

• 2 weeks later...

I know that lots of people would disagree, but I've never had much of a problem with Batwing (excluding the operations, which are abysmal). The roughness and restraints has never bothered me the way it bothers some people, and I find the ride to be fun with some nice whip in some parts and a fun dose of intensity on the loop. It's actually one of my favorite rides at SFA, but if you disagree, that's fine.

^Nah, it's one of my top rides at SFA as well--never really had a problem with those Vekoma flyers, though like you I've been seeing much more hate than praise again lately. They don't have the signature pretzel loop of B&M flyers, but on their own merits they're fun and pretty intense. Definitely one of the coaster types I have on my list of "favorite Vekomas," not that there's much competition!

I still think Batwing is a decent flyer (better than the Superman clones), but I just noticed an unusual rattle/vibration throughout the whole ride with the gray train. The purple train is just fine though.

I still think Batwing is a decent flyer (better than the Superman clones), but I just noticed an unusual rattle/vibration throughout the whole ride with the gray train. The purple train is just fine though.

I've ridden all three flying dutchmans in the US and my ride a few weeks back on Batwing seemed to rattle more than the others. I don't recall it being that bad when I rode Batwing originally in 2012.

Does Batwing ever run two trains? I've only seen it run one before, even when everything else was running two (It was a Saturday).

On April 28th, I saw it running two trains and loading both stations, only for it to break down shortly afterwards.

I prefer Batwing over Superman Gadv. Superman OG at least has the landscaping on its side. Batwing felt much more like Superman than Nighthawk in terms of smoothness.

Does Batwing ever run two trains? I've only seen it run one before, even when everything else was running two (It was a Saturday).

On April 28th, I saw it running two trains and loading both stations, only for it to break down shortly afterwards.

I prefer Batwing over Superman Gadv. Superman OG at least has the landscaping on its side. Batwing felt much more like Superman than Nighthawk in terms of smoothness.

I was at the park for a few hours yesterday morning, and they were running two trains and both stations, which I've rarely seen. I was marathoning Superman when I realized it was running both stations, so I walked over to check it out and it broke down. I stood there for ~15mins while maintenance came over and fixed it, and not a single soul joined me in line for the whole 15 minutes. Then I rode it all by myself lol

20180506_112939.thumb.jpg.dc587ede75dc9f8650ba8bde316da01e.jpg

I'm sure I'm not the first one to notice this, but I find it kinda funny how on the Six Flags App, if you go into the "rides" section for any of their parks, it will always show the same shot of S:ROS at SFA at the top of the page, no matter which park you're looking at.

Does anybody know if Wahoo River is completed yet. They've got about 10 days until the water park opens and the absence of that leisure pool and lazy river would lead to an overly crowded wave pool and ridiculously long lines for slides.

Does anybody know if Wahoo River is completed yet. They've got about 10 days until the water park opens and the absence of that leisure pool and lazy river would lead to an overly crowded wave pool and ridiculously long lines for slides.

Even if its not there were lots of times during the summer where this whole section is shut down. When its a low capacity day or they do not have enough staff this seems to be the first part that gets the boot.

For anyone that has been this year, is the park still done away with old loose article policy? This is one thing about this park I like - I can take my items up to the station with me.

^ From my visit ~1 month ago, you're allowed to bring loose articles up to all rides, no rides require lockers, I'm pretty sure all coasters (except maybe the kiddy credit - I haven't been on it) have cubbies, and locked lockers are available for purchase in some parts of the park.

Edited by JG-77

^ They weren't even allowing adults without kids on the kiddie coaster in my visit last month anyway.

I saw everyone bringing their loose articles up to the platform and the employees didn't care. The park was also a ghost town so I'm not sure if that plays a role since I've seen SFNE relax their loose article policy on less busy days.

^ I usually just use my credit card. It's so much easier than carrying all those ones.

Though one membership perk I'd love to see introduced eventually would be free locker rentals. No clue if they'd ever do it though or what price level they'd include it.