Lakeside Amusement Park Adding New Coaster (Denver, CO)

Pinfari previously at Funplex in Omaha
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Lakeside Amusement Park Adding New Coaster (Denver, CO)

Postby Jwhee » Tue May 15, 2018 2:14 pm

I ran a search for a thread on Lakeside and couldn't find anything, but anyway- A local new website called "The Know" is reporting that Lakeside is adding a new coaster. The photo they provided shows the coaster, and it appears to be a Pinfari coaster. This is a shock to me! I thought the park was going downhill. Photo by Firetyrtle on Reddit.

Here's the original article.
Last edited by larrygator on Tue May 15, 2018 6:04 pm.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Re: Lakeside Amusement Park Adding New Coaster (Denver, CO)

Postby Nrthwnd » Tue May 15, 2018 2:21 pm

...I thought the park was going downhill.

Some times... you never know. ;) Thanks for the update.
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue May 15, 2018 2:48 pm

Glad to see this park adding a new (to the park) coaster. I'm just hoping Wild Chipmunk isn't nearing the end of its life (though it is over 60 years old at this point) and this is the replacement family coaster they're preemptively bringing in.
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland)
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce
Most Recent Trip Reports- Gardaland & Mirabilandia

Postby cal1br3tto » Tue May 15, 2018 3:23 pm

^Good point; it's sad how quickly we slid from four classic Miler mice to only two.

Otherwise, this is good news. I wouldn't mind making another Denver coaster trip someday. While it's not in great shape and it doesn't have a particularly impressive ride collection, I've always hoped Lakeside continues to survive.
114 wood+512 steel=626 | Steel Vengeance | Boulder Dash | Twisted Timbers | Coaster | X2 | Twisted Colossus | Storm Chaser | Phoenix | Maverick | Twisted Cyclone | Iron Rattler | Voyage | Kawasemi | El Toro | New Texas Giant

Did my donkey title just change???

Postby OmnipotentSeal » Tue May 15, 2018 5:24 pm

This new coaster is from my obscure home park Fun-plex located in Omaha Nebraska. You Denver guys are really lucky. Aside from no paint job, the staff at Funplex maintained this coaster well. It is very smooth and the lap bar (no seatbelt) rarely touches your legs. The two drops are great.

I do feel bad for the Lakeside employees though. They will have to push the car out of the station unless Lakeside installs some tires or something.
Please wake up. We are trying a new technique. We don't know where this will show up in your dream, but we hope this message will reach you. You are in a coma. Please wake up. Your family needs you.

What's with the donkeys anyway?

Postby aueft » Tue May 15, 2018 5:33 pm

That's good to hear. I am going to be in the area in July, and I've heard that Pinfaris can be kind of painful.
Surprise extra credits are always good.

Postby coasterbill » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:41 am

So uh... did they ever finish building this thing? Asking "for a friend". :lol:

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby jlp94 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:46 am

^ I went in mid-July and it still was just track and supports. I didn't see any trains.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby Taylor Finn » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:37 am

^ and ^^ Yeah I was there in June. It is just bizarre. Because the area around the coaster is kind of just a grass patch. And you could not access the coaster easily even if it was open. So they still would need to create a pathway or something. It is just... odd. I want to understand the folks who manage this park. Because it has way too much potential for its own good. And yet, there are signs everywhere of gross negligence (despite reasonable crowds).

E.G. rides not running all the cars, loads of broken vending and arcade machines horded in plain sight, the structure from the Starride not being removed for decades, a bathroom where EVERY urinal has been removed and so there is an empty wall on one side and stalls on the other, etc. But yet, I went... and I really enjoyed my time there because the retro feel of the park has been upheld entirely.

Can you see the donkey in my toast?

Postby Shavethewhales » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:10 am

From what I have gleaned, the owners are kind of eclectic and out there. They are married to this idea of Lakeside staying "affordable" for the low income residents in the area immediately surrounding the park. Unfortunately I think we can all agree they have gone too far with what "affordable" means. They slap a few coats of paint around the park occasionally, but everything is obviously showing signs of fatigue or even near collapse. The famous landmark tower is really rough looking, and I fear they are letting it get too water damaged to save.

They can't even keep staff around. They have to do multiple hiring events throughout their relatively short season just to keep the park open. There are a few really dedicated folks who keep things going, but they can't keep everything going as a labor of love indefinitely.

I think Lakeside will suddenly close within the next few years. I really really love the park, but I know how this ultimately plays out.

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!