TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

HOLY

26c1ce365c12816c57c0756240dcde7e.jpg

I take back all those negative things I have ever said about i305. As of today I FULLY understand the craze for this coaster. Like, I need a moment to catch my breath.

(Full TR to come later! The day is still young, and there is still a lot of park to enjoy!)

Wow . . . . why the 22 year break from riding coasters?

At any rate . . . . nice comeback there

1995-2017: Got married. Got into whitewater kayaking, recording live music shows and a few other hobbies. Had a kid.

2017: Divorced for 4 years. My 15YO called me one day and said she had just been to Carowinds, had a blast and wanted to go back. I suggested KD and BGW since I never went to those as a kid and they had commercials on our local TV station all the time. We rode Dominator first and I was hooked. It was a Proustian moment, for sure. Then we did Volcano and I305 and I realized coasters had changed a lot in 22 years. Two weeks later we had Platinum Cedar Fair passes and SF Gold passes. We went to Dollywood and SFOG in November. We are taking two ten-day trips this summer hitting 14 new to us parks and possibly over 100 new coasters. The bug has bitten hard! We are only an hour and a half from Carowinds so we can go there anytime we like. KD is only three hours so it may get a few visits this year as well.

I totally understand this story. I got out of coasters in 2007. I got married, had a kid, and my life went in a different direction. In 2012 we brought my daughter to SDC during my wife's work picnic event, and she loved it. That's what got me back into theme parks. Not as much time, granted, but I get you. Your kids can sometimes show you something you love.

TT was running both trains last night with no blocked-off rows. So all worked out. I rode far back and front for the first times. Both were great, front better. More hang and air at the leading edge of the hills rather than the ends. It was really using every last bit of momentum to complete the course though, maybe due to it being breezy and some empty seats. The end was only a little mild but the brakes may or may not have touched before the drive wheels engaged and accelerated the train!

I tried Border Burritos. This year the menu choices are halved but there are actually more items to put on it. They added pork, and I tried the OMG shredded beef with Spanish rice and refries etc.

It's consistent with a real volcano since it only goes off once a century or so...

It's theming.

Coasterbill strikes again.

But... Such a great discription. And accurate too.

In regards to Twisted Timbers, I know we were all kind of speculating a month+ ago about "what this thing will be like when it's 90 degrees out." I'm happy to say that I got to ride it a handful of times today (in the midst of a nice heatwave here in the DMV) and it totally exceeded anything I really thought possible based upon my first ride back in March. I used to be one of those people who secretly judged anyone who ever complained that [N] coaster was too intense or had too much airtime or the restraints were too hard or whatever. But five TT rides and two bruised thighs later, I'm finally starting to understand where people's heads are at. What a gem by RMC, seriously. It was so cool being in the station in the evening, overhearing multiple guests calling the ride "amazing" or something similar. People are eating this thing up!

Two sidenotes: I'm still not sure if I prefer front, back, or in-between on TT. I was actually surprised how much more extreme some of the airtime was in the front seat (especially on the triple hill part), but that drop into the on-ride photo section in the back is about as close to El Toro's Rolling Thunder hill as anything's ever going to get.

Also, today was the first day I've ever seen The Crypt open (and I've been going to KD routinely over the past three years). I just figured it was SBNO. Anyway, had to give it a shot, and it was freakin insane. I remember being super disappointed by past top-spin offerings (HangTime at Dorney and King Kahuna at Kennywood). Why is this one so good?

I couldn't ride The Crypt on my recent visit to KD, as I was already feeling sick all day. I love Top Spins though, and hate that they're all getting removed. I do hope The Crypt can avoid the ax for a little while longer at least, until I can make it back!

It should be noted that Huss continues to sell both the classic / fair style model and the suspended model brand new, so it's not like a lack of parts availability would cause a Top Spin to be removed.

I keep half-forgetting that The Crypt is still operating. I can't remember what kind of downtime it had when I visited in 2012 (unless I actually overlooked it or wrongly assumed it was closed--I'm pretty sure it really was, though).

I always used to really enjoy Top Spins and not understand the hate. I wouldn't be surprised if I found them a bit more annoyingly uncomfortable now, though--I haven't hit one up in a while.

The only time I have an issue with top spins is when the water effects intentionally soak everyone on board. I almost rode one at Oktoberfest until I saw the German carnies taking pleasure dousing guests.

It should be noted that Huss continues to sell both the classic / fair style model and the suspended model brand new, so it's not like a lack of parts availability would cause a Top Spin to be removed.

While that is true, HUSS is notorious for taking a long time to actually get parts to a park. One of the maintenance managers at the park I use to work at complained about it all the time. There were multiple times when it took weeks/months for a part to arrive.

I just heard a rumor that Kings Dominion/Cedar Fair has started a new policy that no loose articles including hats and glasses/sun glasses are allowed even in the queue lines. People are being required to put them in a locker before entering the line. I do not like this, I wear a hat so my head does not get sun burned and wear sun glasses because well the sun can really damage your eyes. I was told that KD has eliminated the baskets they had at some of the coasters and are now requiring locker usage like Six Flags once did. I know this did not work out for Six Flags in the past and some of their parks have now allowed you to bring personal belongings up into some of the stations - especially at their more lower end parks like Six Flags America.

I'd like visitors to keep us posted on whether the new rules apply to phones and other items that are/will be kept in secure clothing pockets. No indication of this so far, but I want to be informed if anyone runs into issues like that.

The policy applies to I305, FoF and TT only. If you can put it in a pocket that's fine. So phone and keys, etc in your pocket is fine. The main things they are enforcing are bags, hats and glasses without straps as you enter the line. I've seen people put hats in their shirts and they're fine with that. It's nothing like Gadv's policy, where even if you have a phone in a zipper pocket, they'll make you put it in a fb.