TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

p. 623 - New Epic Universe details, including Celestial Park!

We went to the park this past Monday (2/5) and it was more crowded than I expected but not enough to really ruin the day. One thing that quickly stood out to me though is the wait time estimators at the ride entrances were much less accurate than they've been for me in the past. We had numerous instances of a 20 min wait ending up being a walk on and on others, that 20 min wait being over twice that amount.

Two things that immediately came to mind reading this comment:

1. Remember that they are time "estimators" and while I agree it is annoying when a wait time is longer than posted, but please remember that sometimes things happen that are outside of operations control. Ride breakdowns, even partial that are transparent to those waiting in line, or other issues like higher than normal volume of disabled guests needing extra time, etc. Not excusing that, but just trying to play devil's advocate here.

2. Am I reading this correctly that it sounds like you are complaining that a wait time was less than posted??? I'm sorry, but I don't feel that is something deserving to be called out on. It could very well be that moments after you walked into the queue it changed from 20 to 5 minutes. Or also remember a lot of times the posted wait also includes potential breakdowns which also could be longer than the estimate.

Again, just quoting your own post, these are "time estimators" so if you ended up waiting longer for one ride, but shorter for another, why are you complaining if it is all balancing out???

--Robb

I'm sorry if it came off as a complaint, it was just meant as an observation, especially since it seemed so different compared to my previous visits. We certainly weren't complaining about walking on to the Hulk on a busy park day! Actually this was one of the better times I've had at any park that's busy, normally big crowds will put me right off. A large part of that was it was the first visit for most of my family, we took my mom there for a 70th birthday gift and she was so happy! Still rides coasters too, the on-board video on Rip Ride Rockit had us nearly in tears laughing.

• 3 weeks later...

I think if it does I would LMAO at how some of the universal "fans" (as with any park super "fans" to be honest) are so adamant about what is going on and how they have uber inside knowledge on what is going on. I, personally, have felt like it belonged in a new park or IOA with its fantasy theme. I like the fact that universal is still kinda based on cities. I have seen a Tokyo idea floating around the web. That sounds cool.

^Until construction starts, nothing is final when it comes to theme parks... And even then, plans can change very quickly. Inside knowledge or not, until the attraction opens, nothing is 100% guaranteed.

Some examples (both historical and more recent) include:

• Meet the World at Epcot - The ride building was fully constructed along with the entire show developed offsite but never installed. The entire attraction ended up being shipped to Japan to open at Tokyo Disneyland in 1983.
  • The Rhine River Cruise at Epcot - The show building was fully constructed but was never used for its intended purpose. A portion of the Biergarten restaurant uses what would have been the entrance to the queue for the ride had it been built.
  • DisneyQuest Philadelphia - Nicknamed "the Disney Hole" because the building had completed foundational construction by the time the project was cancelled mid-build.
  • The ET Adventure at Universal Studios Singapore - The ride path was fully constructed as designed but the decision to alter the originally intended theme for the ride was made late in the game, changing it to the Sesame Street-inspired Spaghetti Space Chase.

All of the above projects were publicly announced in one form or another and yet they didn't come to fruition. Theme parks pivot all the time in the creative process... No inside knowledge is guaranteed, especially when changes like these can happen so late in the game.

Edited by jedimaster1227

^Until construction starts, nothing is final when it comes to theme parks... And even then, plans can change very quickly. Inside knowledge or not, until the attraction opens, nothing is 100% guaranteed.

• Meet the World at Epcot - The ride building was fully constructed along with the entire show developed offsite but never installed. The entire attraction ended up being shipped to Japan to open at Tokyo Disneyland in 1983.
  • The Rhine River Cruise at Epcot - The show building was fully constructed but was never used for its intended purpose. A portion of the Biergarten restaurant uses what would have been the entrance to the queue for the ride had it been built.
  • DisneyQuest Philadelphia - Nicknamed "the Disney Hole" because the building had completed foundational construction by the time the project was cancelled mid-build.
  • The ET Adventure at Universal Studios Singapore - The ride path was fully constructed as designed but the decision to alter the originally intended theme for the ride was made late in the game, changing it to the Sesame Street-inspired Spaghetti Space Chase.

All of the above projects were publicly announced in one form or another and yet they didn't come to fruition. Theme parks pivot all the time in the creative process... No inside knowledge is guaranteed, especially when changes like these can happen so late in the game.

Only about half of the actual ride building. Hard to believe but there was going to be more. This has been confirmed by numerous insiders and this site shows what could've been. http://www.imagineeringdisney.com/blog/2012/2/17/rhine-river-cruise-mysteries.html

You can add the Main Street Theater to that list as well. Construction equipment was setup and then quietly removed.

If I recall correctly the original concept art for new Fantasyland didn't include Seven Dwarves Mine Train and instead had some sort of Cinderella attraction/meet n greet, maybe even a Pixie Hollow attraction in there somewhere. I don't think 7 Dwarves was even announced until after construction on the the rest of new Fantasyland had started, so yeah things can always change.

Hey all, I did a search on the interwebs and on this thread and couldn't find my answer so i'll go ahead and ask. I'm heading to USO and IOA in may and looking at tickets. I'm going with a friend who lives in FL. Would she be able to buy me a ticket at the resident price or will they check my ID at the gate? I'm fine paying full price if have to but I'd like to save some money as i'm sure everybody does .

Thanks in Advance

Harper

I'm going with a friend who lives in FL. Would she be able to buy me a ticket at the resident price or will they check my ID at the gate?

Florida resident rates are for Florida residents. You can take your chances and hope they don't ask for your ID, but in many cases they will. And if they do, and you aren't from Florida, you will have to go to Guest Relations and upgrade your ticket. This can be time consuming especially when just getting to the park.

So really it's up to you how much the difference is and how much frustration you may or may not want to have to put with if they check your ID and there is a long line at GR in the morning.

I'm going with a friend who lives in FL. Would she be able to buy me a ticket at the resident price or will they check my ID at the gate?

Florida resident rates are for Florida residents. You can take your chances and hope they don't ask for your ID, but in many cases they will. And if they do, and you aren't from Florida, you will have to go to Guest Relations and upgrade your ticket. This can be time consuming especially when just getting to the park.

So really it's up to you how much the difference is and how much frustration you may or may not want to have to put with if they check your ID and there is a long line at GR in the morning.

That's what i figured, just wanted to verify before buying. Thanks Robb!

• 4 weeks later...

The Universal Orlando Resort has shared a new look at their first ever rooftop bar and grill debuting at Universal's Aventura Hotel!

Last time I gave you a peek into some of the exterior design details of Universal’s Aventura Hotel. But now I’m going to take you all the way to the top (17 floors up to be exact) to give you a sneak peek at the rooftop bar and grill, Bar 17 Bistro.

While designing Aventura, we very quickly realized how special the rooftop bar and grill would be. So I want to share some insider secrets to get you even more excited about sipping on cocktails while taking in views of our incredible theme parks!

Bar 17 Bistro will open in the evenings, so guests can soak in our beautiful Florida sunsets. When the bar is open, there will be a dedicated elevator in the lobby to take you directly to the rooftop. Since Bar 17 Bistro will be open to all Universal Orlando guests (not just those staying at Aventura) and locals, we wanted to make it easy and convenient to get there.

The same contemporary design and style used throughout the hotel will carry into the design of the rooftop venue. When you step off of the elevator and into Bar 17 Bistro, you’ll feel like you’ve arrived at the city’s newest hotspot with sky-high views of Orlando like you’ve never seen before.

Bar 17 Bistro will offer breathtaking views of all that Universal Orlando Resort has to offer. You’ll see all three theme parks, our other resort hotels, and even the downtown Orlando skyline. My personal favorite view is the one of Universal’s Volcano Bay, especially at night. Seeing the blue lava erupting out of Krakatau is stunning!

The sunset views from Bar17 Bistro are especially gorgeous. I already have my favorite photo locations picked out. (Have to get the perfect shot for Instagram!)

Let’s not forget about what truly matters though – the food and drinks. Bar 17 Bistro will offer an assortment of small plates that range from unique options like Bao Bun dishes inspired by global destinations, to classic favorites like nachos, sliders, and salads.

And you’ll definitely be excited for the cocktails that are designed to pair with the international flavors on the menu. We partnered with an expert mixologist and bar consultant who also helped create our drink menu at Loews Sapphire Falls Resort’s Strong Water Tavern – so you know these drinks will be amazing!

Universal’s Aventura Hotel will open August 2018, but I suggest booking your stay now because the rooms will fill up fast. Plus, if you reserve your room before June 15th, you’ll receive a free $50 hotel dining credit on a stay of four to six nights. Or if you want to enjoy more food and drinks at Bar 17 Bistro, book a seven-night stay and receive a free $100 dining credit.

260153134_Bar17Bistro_MediumRes.thumb.PNG.dcee47930c244cb7cbc47ed78068a184.PNG

View-from-Bar17-Aventura-Hotel-2.thumb.jpg.522d7d4e1371fb33924a361980515fec.jpg

view-2.thumb.jpg.db9ab4bad92ac86091debc4104087dce.jpg

https://blog.universalorlando.com/visiting-us/dates-and-ticket-offer-hhn2018/

Get ready to scream! Starting today, you’re able to purchase a limited-time ticket offer and vacation package for this year’s Halloween Horror Nights, which runs select nights from Sept. 14 through Nov. 3. Some of the most terrifying names in horror – both from the past and present – will come to life to haunt you in nine brand-new mazes based on hit TV-shows and haunting original stories. You’ll also encounter nightmarish creatures as you walk through five sinister scare zones. And if you need to escape the frightening chills, you can enjoy rides and attractions throughout the night in Universal Studios Florida.

For a limited time, you can take advantage of the Halloween Horror Nights flex ticket offer, which gives you a second night (Sunday – Friday) of scares when you purchase before June 6.

Halloween Horror Nights 2018 Flex Ticket Offer

• Entitles one (1) guest admission to two (2) 2018 Halloween Horror Nights event nights on any Sunday – Friday event date that is valid for ticket type. Available for online purchase only

However, that’s not all you can take advantage of today. Make a vacation out of your Halloween Horror Nights visit by booking a vacation package that allows you to stay in the heart of the horror with a 4-night hotel stay. This package also includes the limited time Flex Ticket offer and more.

Halloween Horror Nights 2018 Hotel and Ticket Package

Book by Nov. 2 for travel from Sept. 14 – Nov. 3

• 4-night hotel accommodations at Universal’s Cabana Bay Beach Resort
  • Or you can also stay at one of our other on-site hotels, including Universal’s Aventura Hotel opening in August
  • 3-Park, 4-Day Park-to-Park Ticket to Universal Studios Florida, Universal’s Islands of Adventure and Universal’s Volcano Bay
  • 1-night admission ticket to Halloween Horror Nights, plus get 1 extra night free of your choosing (Sunday – Friday). Offer valid on packages booked by 6/6/18
  • Early Park Admission one hour before the theme parks open to one (1) Universal Orlando theme park as determined by Universal Orlando
  • Access to select live entertainment venues at Universal CityWalk
  • Complimentary transportation to Universal’s theme parks and Universal CityWalk
  • Special access to a dedicated Halloween Horror Nights entry gate each event night until 8 p.m.

And if that doesn’t get you excited about Halloween Horror Nights, this might — you can now add a RIP tour or an Unmasking the Horror tour to your package for an additional cost. I know, insane.

HHN_AH2T4106A.thumb.jpg.64291f11f37836ff2dbbead859e71ec9.jpg

Scarecrow_GirlsScare-1440x900.thumb.jpg.64c3c45c60fe029ff9298a9e21dc88b6.jpg

Edited by jedimaster1227

Universal Orlando has sent us a press release announcing that Stranger Things is coming to Halloween Horror Nights this year for Orlando, Hollywood and Singapore's event!

st.JPG.ea1b9ebd3d447e32285b078ab179f94b.JPG

For the first time ever, Universal Studios Hollywood, Universal Orlando Resort and Universal Studios Singapore are partnering with Netflix to bring “Stranger Things” to life at this year’s “Halloween Horror Nights” events. Fans of the series will get the chance to brave the Upside Down and confront the supernatural as each park debuts all-new mazes inspired by season one of the critically-acclaimed series.

The parallel universe, referred to as the Upside Down, that terrorized the small town of Hawkins, Indiana in Netflix’s mega-hit “Stranger Things,” will bring the chittering, predatory Demogorgon to “Halloween Horror Nights” to stalk unwitting guests as they encounter iconic scenes, characters and environments from the mesmerizing series.

Working collaboratively with Netflix, along with the creators and executive producer of the blockbuster series—Matt Duffer, Ross Duffer and Shawn Levy, the mazes at Universal Studios Hollywood, Universal Orlando Resort and Universal Studios Singapore will be authentic representations of “Stranger Things,” designed to transport guests into artfully recreated scenes and storylines. From the menacing Hawkins National Laboratory, under the U.S. Department of Energy, to the Byers home adorned with an erratic display of flashing Christmas lights and the eerie Upside Down woods oozing a shower of floating orb-like spores, the chilling new mazes will offer surprising twists and unexpected turns around every corner.

Universal Studios’ “Halloween Horror Nights” is the ultimate Halloween event. For more than 25 years, guests from around the world have visited “Halloween Horror Nights” to become victims inside their own horror film. Multiple movie-quality mazes based on iconic horror television shows, films and original stories come to life season after season. And, the streets of each park’s event are transformed into highly-themed scare zones where menacing scare-actors lunge from every darkened corner.

Halloween Horror Nights begins Friday, September 14 in Hollywood and Orlando and on Friday, September 28 in Singapore. Additional details about the events will be revealed soon. Select tickets and vacation packages for Universal Orlando’s Halloween Horror Nights are on sale now. For more information about “Halloween Horror Nights” at Universal Studios Hollywood, Universal Orlando Resort or Universal Studios Singapore, visit www.HalloweenHorrorNights.com.

Stranger-Things-at-Halloween-Horror-Nights-2018-1.thumb.jpg.925c7a270d755a26640b796e9a5b0d89.jpg

Edited by jedimaster1227

Fans of the series will get the chance to brave the Upside Down and confront the supernatural as each park debuts all-new mazes inspired by season one of the critically-acclaimed series.

It's interesting that they specifically state that the maze will be focused on season one, if I were a betting man I'd bet that they've secured the rights to this property for a couple of years.

I haven't seen the show but I hear its really good. the thing about shows is they can do season after season, like the walking dead and American Horror Story. Should I watch the show or will it be self explanatory?

I haven't seen the show but I hear its really good. the thing about shows is they can do season after season, like the walking dead and American Horror Story. Should I watch the show or will it be self explanatory?

I'd recommend watching the show either way. But it feels like it'll be an attraction that you'd get a lot more out of if you had some familiarity with it.

Universal done did it. Stranger things is the ONE Intellectual property that could have woo'd me back after the B&T show was cancelled. I simply must visit that house.

Still not 100 percent getting Frequent Fear for the 5th year in a row, but I certainly just went from a "Might actually skip it this year and focus on Tampa Haunts/Not so Scary/Spooky Empire" to "Will at least buy the 2 night ticket".

I'd recommend watching the show either way. But it feels like it'll be an attraction that you'd get a lot more out of if you had some familiarity with it.

They're basing the HHN stuff on the show's first season--watch at least that.