TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

^ I never rode Giraffica/Pilgrim's Plunge (why the name change by the way). I've never even been to HW. But I've been on other chute-the-chutes, and I've honestly never been all that impressed with them. To me they've always just seemed like a gimmick. I know I'm probably in the minority, but they are just big boat slides.

I've done Perilous Plunge and Tidal Wave and I don't get the draw. At least Jurassic Park and Pirates of the Caribbean have substance to them. But most are just up and around a curve and down a drop. I can get better drops on a roller coaster.

There are even very few log rides that I can stand, such as Timber Mountain and Splash Mountain, because honestly most have nothing to them. You float down a trough of water and then go hurtling down a drop into a pool of water. Whoopie.

So I'm not surprised that Pilgrims Plunge and Perilous Plunge are gone already. They've run their course and novelty wears off. What I am surprised at is that Tidal Wave is still around.

I guess my point is that space would be much better served for a future coaster or two.

Giraffica/Pilgrims Plunge seemed like a gimmick

I see where your coming from, but I don't think it was any more of a gimmick than your standard splash boat ride. I just don't believe the ride turned out the way it was supposed to and to add to that it had a lot of complications.

^ I never rode Giraffica/Pilgrim's Plunge (why the name change by the way)

I believe they were trying to incorporate it into Splashin' Safari after the new slide complex was constructed east of Voyage, which is now awkwardly out of place. I see what they were trying to do.

The splash boat ride part is the gimmick to me. I mean if it could somehow be incorporated into the theme of something bigger, like a whitewater rafting ride that make sense. Like you were going over a waterfall in the Seirras or something. But just going up and around and splashing down and maybe getting a little wet? Meh.

To each their own I guess. I'll never tell anyone they are wrong or dumb to like something. That would be wrong of me. Just saying it's not my cup of tea and I don't get it. So I don't miss them. Give me a good coaster any day. Heck, give me a bad coaster over a chute-the-chutes. Chute, I'll ride Pony Express again before PP, if it was still around.

Chute, I'll ride Pony Express again before PP, if it was still around.

I see what you did there. I don't really care for Chute the Chutes either, except for not waiting in line and standing on the bridges if you want to get soaked (though not possible at Holiday World because the splash was nothing as advertised --- I did like that you could ride from the dry or wet side though so you didn't have to worry about squeaky shoes). Though I think I'd take a one hill boat ride over Pony Express. Sorry, pony.

eae238482ab7151921c063583763547c.jpg

At least Perilous Plunge at Knott's with the old restraints gave ONE exciting ride........

*crickets*

... I'll show my way out...

The splash boat ride part is the gimmick to me. I mean if it could somehow be incorporated into the theme of something bigger, like a whitewater rafting ride that make sense. Like you were going over a waterfall in the Seirras or something. But just going up and around and splashing down and maybe getting a little wet? Meh.

To each their own I guess. I'll never tell anyone they are wrong or dumb to like something. That would be wrong of me. Just saying it's not my cup of tea and I don't get it. So I don't miss them. Give me a good coaster any day. Heck, give me a bad coaster over a chute-the-chutes. Chute, I'll ride Pony Express again before PP, if it was still around.

Yeah, good point. Basic bish splash boats were kind of a 90's cheap thrill. I remember as a kid how everyone raved about Tidal Wave at SFSTL and standing in a 45 minute queue to ride it. Have you ever been on the splash boat rides at Sea World or BGW? The names escape me, but they were pretty entertaining and heavily themed. I didn't ride the one at Sea World, but we braved the one at BGW. They had a cool indoor section with a massive fireball. Festhaus contributed to our decision to ride... Luckily, we didn't get soaked.

Was it Sea World SD? I never knew they one. And I've never got to Busch Gardens, but I've seen videos. That's the kind I think I could enjoy because there's more to it than just up and around. I appreciate good theming, sometimes even over a ride itself. Great theming can push a mediocre ride over into enjoyable.

I know this isn't the Knott's thread, but I'm going to make an example of Pony Express to make my point. Had they built some rock work and made it seem like you were galloping through some canyons it would push that ride over into awesome, even with it being so short.

That's what I'm saying about chute-the-chutes. To me they are the type of attraction that can't stand on their own. But as an element of something larger like Jurrasic Park, they can be great.

I think HW missed the boat, so to speak, in doing something more with Pilgrims Plunge. With the elevator lift they could have made it like you be were in a mill of some kind or done something with the slow winding approach to the lift, like an enclosed dark ride.

A ride like Perilous Plunge could have been built into a faux volcano on a tropical island. And you're on a boat and have to escape the island or something.

I guess my point is theming goes a long way to making a great experience. There's more to a ride than just the ride.

LOL at the balls thing.

Was it Sea World SD?

Sea World Orlando. I'm not sure about SD. (too lazy to google, which is pretty bad)

I think HW missed the boat, so to speak, in doing something more with Pilgrims Plunge. With the elevator lift they could have made it like you be were in a mill of some kind or done something with the slow winding approach to the lift, like an enclosed dark ride.

It would have made the ride a lot more enjoyable, but if you look back at those days the themed elements to the park were much more simplistic, as you can still see throughout the park. I think that's what made Holiday World more affordable to the locals while continuing to expand.

Maybe with PP the park attempted to provide a new cutting edge type attraction for less than something like a roller coaster. I would imagine their goal was to make a splash (zing!) in an attempt to draw in thrill seekers from far away, while still catering to families. My guess is that it was closer to the top of their budget, which is a shame it didn't work out. Holiday World seems to be pretty budget conscious. I think I remember reading something years ago that they are a very financially sound park and they spend wisely. Being an expensive attraction as it was, that's probably why the themed elements were lacking. Again, this is all speculation.

• 2 months later...

Thinkin about HoliWood Nights this year.

Have never been to the park, excited to finally cross The Voyage off my hit list. What should I expect both from the event and park? I've hard usually great things about both. Ya know how much can usually be done on ERT, how crowded may the park be, how's all the extra perks and HW in general?

I see the event doesn't start till 6 on Friday. Worth getting there earlier? (If we even can) I am thinking of driving from Louisville where a friend lives, wanna know how long I should hang there before heading to HW

I've been to 4 or 5 HWN events now. They are a fantastic value for the money and well worth it in my opinion. In the past, my friends and I have gone to Kentucky Kingdom on Friday before the event, and then since Louisville is ahead of Santa Clause, IN by an hour, move to HW in time for the start of HWN. Definitely use the time change in your favor. HW knows how to treat its event guests right with lots of perks and loads of food too (FUDGE!!). The water park is usually more crowded during the main part of the day on Saturday of the event, but HWN has included ERT on Mammoth, Wildebeast, and a few other Splashin' Safari attractions during water park ERT, which I think was on Friday night last year. The dry park ERT on Friday night and Saturday is plenty enough to get in loads of rides on the coasters and a few other attractions they usually include like Gobbler Getaway, Firecracker, Crow's Next, Turkey Whirl, etc. They will feed you well on Friday and Saturday. I don't think you'll regret going to HWN by any stretch.

Yes! If you're thinking of going to Holiwood Nights, you need to go. Friday is all about the waterpark, so if you're into those, then I recommend going for two full days. If you're not into waterparks, just show up for the hors d'ouvres and go ride the coasters once ERT starts, usually about 7:30 or so.

Those coasters are so good at night, as it gets very dark in the middle of nowhere Indiana. Plus they're so far east in the Central Time Zone that it gets dark early.

In my experience (2 times) crowds are light on Friday and slightly heavier on Saturday but completely manageable. Lines will not be a problem, and the extras like food and walkbacks are really worth it.

Mhm I've heard nothing but good about the park as well as the event, and it's been a while since I've gone to any new parks.

And thanks Thrillerman, that was actually my thinking! So glad to hear it's indeed realistic. Deff got some thinking to do.

I've been to HWN twice and will echo what the others have said. Although I personally did two full days at HW (and did Thursday at KK the second time around, which was well worth it) but it could be done without the full day Friday. I just love riding The Voyage over and over and over again until I can't think straight anymore. I would highly recommend eating all the food and doing the walkbacks on Saturday. All around it's a great experience. Also, make sure you ride Raven second to last row when it gets really dark. That's a blast.

I haven't been to Holiday world since 2007 when voyage had 3 - 28 passenger trains. How are the lines on it now that it only has 2 - 24 passenger trains? I know its a long ride so it seems that the dispatches would definitely suffer with only two trains.

I haven't been to Holiday world since 2007 when voyage had 3 - 28 passenger trains. How are the lines on it now that it only has 2 - 24 passenger trains? I know its a long ride so it seems that the dispatches would definitely suffer with only two trains.

^ According to the park, they determined that they have faster dispatches with the 2 train 24 passenger cars. They have one less car to check and are more efficient.

When they had 3 trains, I believe they always ended up stacking and it didn't really help capacity.

I have a hard time believing that 2 trains is better than 3 or even comes anywhere close to the throughput. Even if it stacks it allows you to dispatch the next train without waiting for the other one to get to the end. The Voyage has an extremely long cycle time. Upwards of 3 minutes. That means the average dispatch time with perfect dispatches with two trains could never be better than 3 minutes. Thats a terrible number. I seriously doubt the crew wouldn't be able to dispatch in 1:30-2 minutes if they had 3 trains. Even that isn't exactly fast. Nitro at Great Adventure frequently has dispatches under 50 seconds and thats with 36 people trains.

In the current configuration the theoretical best they could do is 24 x 20 dispatches per hour (3 minutes between) which comes out to 480 rides per hour under the perfect circumstances. (every seat filled, no delayed dispatches). And thats being generous, the cycle time is actually longer than 3 minutes.

Adding in a third train would roughly double the capacity. They could theoretically do 1:30 dispatches (not really a hard number to hit). That would up the number of dispatches per hour to 40 which comes out to 960 per hour. Even if you couldn't quite double it, as long as you can increase it enough that the ride puts through more than the number that enter per hour than the line will remain short. With only two trains the line will easily build up.

I wouldn't think about it too hard. It was posted some pages ago by Paula that they found they had better throughput with two trains instead of three. By the time one train finally dispatches out of the station, the other one is already going over the curve above the lift hill. Gotta factor in people unloading and grabbing their bags, new people loading and putting their bags away, fitting the seat belts, checking restraints, finding that one kid who didn't buckle his belt properly, and waiting for the midcourse to clear.

... but again, I wouldn't think about it too hard. The dispatch times are still pretty decent for the coaster.

Even if they have a train ready to go, I don't think I've ever seen them dispatch a train until the one on the course has cleared at least the third 90 degree turn.

The reason for that is because they only have two trains. With a third train they could dispatch earlier as they would have a train ready to be loaded behind the station.

I wouldn't think about it too hard. It was posted some pages ago by Paula that they found they had better throughput with two trains instead of three. By the time one train finally dispatches out of the station, the other one is already going over the curve above the lift hill. Gotta factor in people unloading and grabbing their bags, new people loading and putting their bags away, fitting the seat belts, checking restraints, finding that one kid who didn't buckle his belt properly, and waiting for the midcourse to clear.

... but again, I wouldn't think about it too hard. The dispatch times are still pretty decent for the coaster.

You don't need to wait for the midcourse to clear to dispatch the next train. You only need the train in front to clear the lift.

Also 3-4 minute dispatches are not decent by any stretch. Those are terrible dispatch intervals.

Nitro at Great Adventure frequently has dispatches under 50 seconds and thats with 36 people trains.

That's an apple and oranges situation. Nitro doesn't have seat belts and the operators can check restraints essentially standing up. I operated a coaster with PTC trains for years. For us to unload/load/dispatch in a minute or less was almost impossible to do regularly simply due to the number of guests that would have trouble with the seat belts.