Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

P. 1230: Cheetah Chase launched racing slides announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 5 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Re: Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

Postby WestCoasterKing » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:47 pm

I don't know the slang these days. Is balls good or bad?

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:01 pm

WestCoasterKing wrote: Is balls good or bad?

Context Clues
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

If the donkey is rockin, don't come knockin!

Postby CoasterGuy06 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:16 pm

I've thought for a while that a water coaster from Mack Rides would be a good fit for that spot.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby prozach626 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:30 am

LOL at the balls thing.

WestCoasterKing wrote:Was it Sea World SD?

Sea World Orlando. I'm not sure about SD. (too lazy to google, which is pretty bad)

WestCoasterKing wrote:I think HW missed the boat, so to speak, in doing something more with Pilgrims Plunge. With the elevator lift they could have made it like you be were in a mill of some kind or done something with the slow winding approach to the lift, like an enclosed dark ride.

It would have made the ride a lot more enjoyable, but if you look back at those days the themed elements to the park were much more simplistic, as you can still see throughout the park. I think that's what made Holiday World more affordable to the locals while continuing to expand.

Maybe with PP the park attempted to provide a new cutting edge type attraction for less than something like a roller coaster. I would imagine their goal was to make a splash (zing!) in an attempt to draw in thrill seekers from far away, while still catering to families. My guess is that it was closer to the top of their budget, which is a shame it didn't work out. Holiday World seems to be pretty budget conscious. I think I remember reading something years ago that they are a very financially sound park and they spend wisely. Being an expensive attraction as it was, that's probably why the themed elements were lacking. Again, this is all speculation.

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby JJLehto » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:46 pm

Thinkin about HoliWood Nights this year.
Have never been to the park, excited to finally cross The Voyage off my hit list. What should I expect both from the event and park? I've hard usually great things about both. Ya know how much can usually be done on ERT, how crowded may the park be, how's all the extra perks and HW in general?

I see the event doesn't start till 6 on Friday. Worth getting there earlier? (If we even can) I am thinking of driving from Louisville where a friend lives, wanna know how long I should hang there before heading to HW
Top 10 Steel: Steel Vengeance, Wicked Cyclone, Fury 325, Millennium Force, Storm Chaser, Skyrush, Maverick, Goliath (SFoG), I305, Lightning Run
Top 10 Wood: Voyage, Phoenix, El Toro, Boulder Dash, Mystic Timbers, Lightning Racer, Grizzly (KD), Legend, Raven, Beast

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby thrillerman1 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:02 pm

I've been to 4 or 5 HWN events now. They are a fantastic value for the money and well worth it in my opinion. In the past, my friends and I have gone to Kentucky Kingdom on Friday before the event, and then since Louisville is ahead of Santa Clause, IN by an hour, move to HW in time for the start of HWN. Definitely use the time change in your favor. HW knows how to treat its event guests right with lots of perks and loads of food too (FUDGE!!). The water park is usually more crowded during the main part of the day on Saturday of the event, but HWN has included ERT on Mammoth, Wildebeast, and a few other Splashin' Safari attractions during water park ERT, which I think was on Friday night last year. The dry park ERT on Friday night and Saturday is plenty enough to get in loads of rides on the coasters and a few other attractions they usually include like Gobbler Getaway, Firecracker, Crow's Next, Turkey Whirl, etc. They will feed you well on Friday and Saturday. I don't think you'll regret going to HWN by any stretch.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:23 pm

Yes! If you're thinking of going to Holiwood Nights, you need to go. Friday is all about the waterpark, so if you're into those, then I recommend going for two full days. If you're not into waterparks, just show up for the hors d'ouvres and go ride the coasters once ERT starts, usually about 7:30 or so.

Those coasters are so good at night, as it gets very dark in the middle of nowhere Indiana. Plus they're so far east in the Central Time Zone that it gets dark early.

In my experience (2 times) crowds are light on Friday and slightly heavier on Saturday but completely manageable. Lines will not be a problem, and the extras like food and walkbacks are really worth it.

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby JJLehto » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:42 pm

Mhm I've heard nothing but good about the park as well as the event, and it's been a while since I've gone to any new parks.

And thanks Thrillerman, that was actually my thinking! So glad to hear it's indeed realistic. Deff got some thinking to do.
Top 10 Steel: Steel Vengeance, Wicked Cyclone, Fury 325, Millennium Force, Storm Chaser, Skyrush, Maverick, Goliath (SFoG), I305, Lightning Run
Top 10 Wood: Voyage, Phoenix, El Toro, Boulder Dash, Mystic Timbers, Lightning Racer, Grizzly (KD), Legend, Raven, Beast

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby jonskinny12 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:06 pm

I've been to HWN twice and will echo what the others have said. Although I personally did two full days at HW (and did Thursday at KK the second time around, which was well worth it) but it could be done without the full day Friday. I just love riding The Voyage over and over and over again until I can't think straight anymore. I would highly recommend eating all the food and doing the walkbacks on Saturday. All around it's a great experience. Also, make sure you ride Raven second to last row when it gets really dark. That's a blast.

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby b&mforever » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:18 pm

I haven't been to Holiday world since 2007 when voyage had 3 - 28 passenger trains. How are the lines on it now that it only has 2 - 24 passenger trains? I know its a long ride so it seems that the dispatches would definitely suffer with only two trains.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!