TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

Apart from not expiring (and, now, different benefits), I guess I just think of the membership as a season pass split into twelve monthly payments. I don't care that I don't visit every month or that I'm making payments during months when a given park is closed. I just have a goal of making the membership pay for itself, like I would with a season pass.

Apart from not expiring (and, now, different benefits), I guess I just think of the membership as a season pass split into twelve monthly payments. I don't care that I don't visit every month or that I'm making payments during months when a given park is closed. I just have a goal of making the membership pay for itself, like I would with a season pass.

a monthly fee is WAY more than I paid for a Season Pass when it was on sale.

(tho here in Austin, Fiesta is advertising a "membership sale" during Spring Break. . so maybe they are planning on doing a discount of some type if they do away with the Season Passes).

but like the old Columbia Record club, where once you signed up, you're gonna get letters every month, and be charged if you don't send the card back? yeah. .that's how I view the monthly memberships.

if I can't pay for it and then just have it with no additional obligations? then it's just not for me.

I completely understand I'm in the minority, and if other folks like it the parks are giving them what they want, and more power to em.

but it's not for me, and if Season Pass isn't an option, then I likely won't be purchasing one (heck, we went several years without Six Flags season passes, and just renewed/got one for 2018 on Black Friday, since the price was simply too good to pass up).

I am not a fan of a monthly payment plan a.k.a. 'membership' either. This requires giving a corporate entity access to your bank account or credit card with a complicated cancellation process. Hopefully season passes will remain an option otherwise anyone without access to credit or to anyone on a strict cash-only lifestyle will not be able to buy a membership unless they buy one of those Green Dot cards, etc.

Having said all of that, I can see where offering memberships looks good on paper and makes some business sense. Going the membership route will mean better profits for the chain (which we hope they invest in their parks!)

There may also be a very positive side effect. Corporate is well aware that off seasons can hurt membership sales. It is my understanding that Fiesta Texas is exploring the possibility of a year-round weekend operation starting next year. Other parks in warmer climates like Over Georgia and even Over Texas could look into that as well. Of course Magic Mountain is now 365 but I have to believe other dominoes may fall too. Our park has really added to the operating calendar these past few years or so, including Holiday as well as the weekends in November. With the chain aggressively promoting year-round memberships this seems to be a very real possibility - and that March 3-4th, 2018 may have been the last scheduled closed weekend.

Nonetheless, it will be a very interesting year, especially around Labor Day - and what type of deals are offered.

There may also be a very positive side effect. Corporate is well aware that off seasons can hurt membership sales. It is my understanding that Fiesta Texas is exploring the possibility of a year-round weekend operation starting next year. Other parks in warmer climates like Over Georgia and even Over Texas could look into that as well. Of course Magic Mountain is now 365 but I have to believe other dominoes may fall too. Our park has really added to the operating calendar these past few years or so, including Holiday as well as the weekends in November. With the chain aggressively promoting year-round memberships this seems to be a very real possibility - and that March 3-4th, 2018 may have been the last scheduled closed weekend.

Nonetheless, it will be a very interesting year, especially around Labor Day - and what type of deals are offered.

I honestly don't follow it close enough to be aware if Fiesta would be considering year-round (I'd think SFoT would go that route first, but who knows). . . but I do know that the park was open thru Jan 7, and then re-opened for the 2018 season on Feb 24.

so technically, they were open every month . . so they are kind of already doing a "year round" operation. . even tho they were closed completely for 6 weekends (1/7-2/24)

I was surprised that some other SF parks didn't open until later in the year, since the Texas parks opened up prior to March, and go weekly for Spring Break this whole week.

enough about the membership vs Season Pass stuff tho.. . Twisted Cyclone looks incredible, and I'm very much looking forwards to getting a chance to ride it when I visit Atlanta later this summer!

I just looked at some videos on youtube of GASM running backwards and noticed they were using the old cyclone trains. Are these a replacement and what are they going to do with the old buzz bar trains that I loved so much?

Yes, according to the park they are a permanent replacement (they will stay even once they switch back to the forward operation). After experiencing GASM backwards last weekend, I found the ride to be smoother than I expected. I still got some pretty good airtime even with the different trains. I’m not completely sure why the park decided to retire the old trains in the first place.

I just looked at some videos on youtube of GASM running backwards and noticed they were using the old cyclone trains. Are these a replacement and what are they going to do with the old buzz bar trains that I loved so much?

Yes, according to the park they are a permanent replacement (they will stay even once they switch back to the forward operation). After experiencing GASM backwards last weekend, I found the ride to be smoother than I expected. I still got some pretty good airtime even with the different trains. I’m not completely sure why the park decided to retire the old trains in the first place.

Yea I wish they never retired them in the first place because they were great especially with the buzz bars and now wish I could have gotten a few more rides on it with them on. It’s great that the airtime is still there. Is it smoother with the cyclone trains or the old ones?

Yuuuuuuge progress on #TwistedCyclone. Enjoy!

thumb_2b7bd1a3-adf2-4f81-ab73-a29be6514fd4.jpeg

That turn though...

This coaster keeps looking better and better. RMC is on a roll with these conversions! Looking forward to riding this later this season! (Loving the colors too!)

Today's visit to the park was a pleasant surprise. The weather was perfect, crowds thin, and the new "Coastal" themed area looks fabulous! There have been many photos posted here of the new Twisted Cyclone which looks amazing. Equally noteworthy is how the park has really stepped up their game with the bright, vibrant, cheerful beachy theme surrounding the new RMC. I am absolutely loving the colors! Did I mention there's a couple of live palm trees in front of the queue house?

Awesome...awesome...awesome.....

20180317_190934.thumb.jpg.bf5f421298c2d864e73abd02654053f7.jpg

I don't mind the memberships and you can get them on sale as well.. I have had mine for years and it started as a regular membership and a gold membership for under $10.. the gold was $5 and regular was $3.. it's gone up a bit but still slightly less expensive than 1 regular season pass and 1 gold season pass.

Plus, never have to renew

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

I fall into the camp that prefers to pay once yearly for a season pass and not think about it again until the Labor Day sale returns the following year. From a business perspective, I can see why they would start to push memberships so that their revenue is more consistent across months when most of their parks aren’t open and they aren't generating much revenue directly from attendance. I can also see why they might want to try to reduce the correlation that each yearly addition probably has on season pass sales by pushing people toward a recurring fee that is very difficult to cancel. I just hope that they don’t start removing core benefits, like the ability to get a great deal on season parking when purchased together with a pass during the sale for instance, from the season pass.

On another note, I’m liking the palm trees and fun beachy colors getting adding to the new Coastal section. One of the things I really appreciate about our park is that they’ve made a considerable effort to revamp uglier sections over the last several years along with the new additions. Hoping that former Thomas Town/Deju Vu area in Lickskillet is the next section to get a new ride/facelift.

It'll be a sad day when eventually there aren't anymore old wooden coasters left for RMC to convert It's always so fun watching these transformations

The Boss will always remain untouched by RMC. *sigh...*

I don't mind the memberships and you can get them on sale as well.. I have had mine for years and it started as a regular membership and a gold membership for under $10.. the gold was $5 and regular was $3.. it's gone up a bit but still slightly less expensive than 1 regular season pass and 1 gold season pass.

Plus, never have to renew

I agree and have had a similar experience. It looks like the twelve-month cost for my membership is a little less than the price of an equivalent season pass, or comparable at worst. It's not like it's set up to purposely cost you more in the long run for the same product (in case anyone thought that).

On another note, I’m liking the palm trees and fun beachy colors getting adding to the new Coastal section. One of the things I really appreciate about our park is that they’ve made a considerable effort to revamp uglier sections over the last several years along with the new additions. Hoping that former Thomas Town/Deju Vu area in Lickskillet is the next section to get a new ride/facelift.

I agree the park appears to be spending their limited resources wisely. Refurbishing Ninja into Blue Hawk was genius. Other than the old Thomas Town area, the only other area (in dire need) is repainting the Scorcher. I am actually quite surprised that was not done this off-season, given all the love the rest of the front of the park is getting, including the Twisted Cyclone and coastal theming. Although Scorcher is a good coaster, its also an eye sore. On a side note, I have long noted in my surveys that the park really needs to widen the sidewalk to the parking lot. it is only 4' wide and when hundreds of guests are all exiting (or entering) the park at once, there is simply not enough room, forcing some to walk along the road and in some cases right into the path of cars or trams. (I have seen it happen!)

My guess is a new major ride will take the space formerly occupied by Thomas Town, but not until 2020. Next year, Hurricane Harbor gets an addition of some sort....unless the park is able to do both in one year, but that is not likely. But - that is merely my prediction.

I agree the park appears to be spending their limited resources wisely. Refurbishing Ninja into Blue Hawk was genius. Other than the old Thomas Town area, the only other area (in dire need) is repainting the Scorcher. I am actually quite surprised that was not done this off-season, given all the love the rest of the front of the park is getting, including the Twisted Cyclone and coastal theming. Although Scorcher is a good coaster, its also an eye sore. On a side note, I have long noted in my surveys that the park really needs to widen the sidewalk to the parking lot. it is only 4' wide and when hundreds of guests are all exiting (or entering) the park at once, there is simply not enough room, forcing some to walk along the road and in some cases right into the path of cars or trams. (I have seen it happen!)

My guess is a new major ride will take the space formerly occupied by Thomas Town, but not until 2020. Next year, Hurricane Harbor gets an addition of some sort....unless the park is able to do both in one year, but that is not likely. But - that is merely my prediction.

I did last years gold combo pass for 64 which would be 5.40 a month. Lowest membership is 6/month costing me more.

Haven’t run dining plan numbers yet.

I was trying to compare and just re-ran the numbers. My gold combo pass for this year during the flash sale was $52.99 and $82.99 for dining.

I actually went and looked at the passes and if I'm only buying 1, membership lowest level is $7.25 which would come to $87 or almost $30 more then my season pass.

Not enough value to me for $30 more. Offer it without having to buy 4 at the $5.99 price point and I might do it.

Dining plan seems to be about even. I was $82.99 for deluxe dining plan (with a free upgrade to premium). Deluxe on membership is $6.99/month or $83.88. So that one works out money-wise.

So considered doing a switch to membership but after running numbers I'll stay with my season pass as long as I can keep getting the good flash sale rates. If they remove that this year (which is likely) I'll reconsider a membership at that point.

Goodbye final set of Six Flags buzz bar trains. Bummer.

GASM will get bumpier and bumpier with the heavier ratchet bar trains. Happens when any park switches thier buzzbars for ratchets. Then all the extra supports will be installed. OR topper track/RMC.