TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Blackpool Pleasure Beach (BPB) Discussion Thread

Here's some retro Wild Mouse footage we shot in 2006...

The Wild Mouse was insane. I really don't know how they got away with the track being so close to the lifthill that people had to duck under it. I'm not especially tall and I had to. That and you could see that track moving pretty violently as cars went over it - a tad nerve-wracking as you passed under.

My brother-in-law's son IS tall though, and we used to take him with us when he was in his teens (and he was taller than me then). We'd literally have to say to him that there's no way he was going on after a few years.

The airtime you got on those drops too - though punctuated by some very sudden and painful inclines - was tremendous. And all that with only a seatbelt (or the person in front). The 180 degree turns were similar, and I'd usually try to make them a bit softer for my wife in front.

It will be interesting to see what replaces it and Trauma Towers. Wonder if they're redeveloping that area and the fountains will go too (they've got to cost a lot, as well as the staff trying to get you to buy photos there - never seen anyone take them up on it). But after this, the Gold Mine and the closure of Noah's Ark, is anything safe?

Putting everything in perspective...

The Big Box beside where Mousie was.....is Alice in Wonderland?

And the turreted dark ride to the right, is the Ghost Train ride?

Just checking here, thanks. I miss Mousie.

Putting everything in perspective...

The Big Box beside where Mousie was.....is Alice in Wonderland?

And the turreted dark ride to the right, is the Ghost Train ride?

Just checking here, thanks. I miss Mousie.

The space by the big box was were trauma towers was I think but yes the big box is alice in wonderland. The mouse was the other space next to the ghost train and behind the stalls.

^ Ah, I got it now. Thanks!

By the way - was Trauma Towers where the indoor Tagada was? I remember riding it for the first time, in 2007,

and had no idea what it was, since it was dark, indoors, and the ride itself was freeky. But enjoyable, too.

1911370773_ResizeofE-04.jpg.64b762e40234304860d5752f8ecd20ad.jpg

Former Trauma Towers and the circular fountain in front. Mouse is on the right.

TPR 2010 UK Tour.

^Yep, it was. I don't remember the theming too clearly but I remember being quite impressed with the ride overall. I think because it was a ride I hadn't heard a single thing about compared to the others before I went and had no idea a tagada was even inside.

^ It's sad to see COASTERS restaurant closed and vacant, ready for the tear down and the new hotel construction.

That was the first place the first TPR UK Tour (2006) went to for a group meal at BPB, during the tour. I think it was mostly burgers for everybody, heh. It was a great place to eat in, with lots of stuff from "Blackpool of the Past", on it's walls etc. And jukebox music, too! very cool place to eat, it was.

And the Monorail was working then, too! I remember taking a ride on it, traveling a whole circuit, which included stopping at that now defunct station.

UK034BlackpoolBigOneShot.jpg.d6268b32addd51229f5b816b2bd53dc5.jpg

My (not too bad) shot of The Big One. TPR 2006 UK Tour.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

[token 'it looks really slow/fast' comment that testing videos always get]

Seriously though I am really looking forward to this, I love how it threads its way through all the existing coasters, it should offer so many great fly-bys whether you're on Icon or any of the coasters it interacts with. I hope they don't put nets under this section.

The train does look really strange without the nose car shell

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought this.

Icon is exactly what this park needed. Their wooden coaster collection was fantastic, but they just needed an awesome steel coaster to back it up (though for non-enthusiasts, the Big One seems to satisfy that). If this is anything like Blue Fire or Helix, this will fill the void perfectly.

The train does look really strange without the nose car shell

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought this.

Icon is exactly what this park needed. Their wooden coaster collection was fantastic, but they just needed an awesome steel coaster to back it up (though for non-enthusiasts, the Big One seems to satisfy that). If this is anything like Blue Fire or Helix, this will fill the void perfectly.

I cannot agree more. As much fun as the unique rides were on my visit last year, the coaster collection did leave me a bit sore at the end of the day. It's all older wooden coasters or Infusion/Big One which are about as rough as steel gets. Icon is the re-ridable, smooth, megacoaster that fills a big hole in the lineup and I think the park completely nailed this.

• 4 weeks later...

Blackpool Pleasure Beach has sent us a press release announcing the grand opening date for ICON!

Blackpool Pleasure Beach has today announced the official opening date of its hotly anticipated new rollercoaster – ICON, as Friday 25th May.

Since work on the new £16.25m rollercoaster commenced in December 2016, rollercoaster fans worldwide have been clamouring for news of when they’ll be able to experience the exciting new ride.

Now bosses have confirmed that the wait is almost over with the world’s most interactive rollercoaster ready to ride in just over a month’s time.

Speaking on the impending launch, Blackpool Pleasure Beach Managing Director Amanda Thompson OBE, said: “We’ve been overwhelmed with calls and e-mails from people all over the world wanting to know when ICON will open to the public.

"I’m so excited to be able to answer and confirm 25th May! We can’t wait to invite those who dare to ride to Blackpool to experience this truly incredible ride. ICON promises to set hearts racing.”

Nick Thompson, Deputy MD of Blackpool Pleasure Beach added: “The launch of ICON is an extremely exciting day for our industry, both in the UK and beyond. We couldn’t be more pleased to see and experience it here in the UK and to showcase another world first at Blackpool Pleasure Beach.”

Upon opening ICON will be the UK’s first ever double-launch rollercoaster, propelling riders at speeds of up to 85 kilometres per hour during an intense, jaw-dropping two and a half minutes of thrills and spills. The two powerful thrusts of acceleration can only be likened to that felt by Formula 1 drivers.

Over the last 16 months, over 100,000 hours of manpower have been invested in the build, with thousands of tonnes of steel shipped from Germany. The dazzling carriages, which see riders in an open seat on top of the ride with arms and legs free, arrived at the much-loved amusement park in March, and can already be seen firing around the high-shine track in preparation for the launch.

1475490480_ICONDaretoRide.thumb.jpg.f8e7b939bb418820efa8446a201daa70.jpg

382912030_ICONsoarsthroughthelifthillofthefamousBigOnerollercoaster.thumb.jpg.e4bffecfa2384639558678e8f73ddcee.jpg

I'm getting more and more optimistic about this one. Blue Fire was a bit mild for my tastes but I still really enjoyed it. Icon should at minimum make up for the loss of the Wild Mouse.

• 5 weeks later...

Today, Icon opened for the first time for those with V.I.P boarding cards. The ride officially opens next Friday.

Here are some cool off-ride Icon shots in a video made by Theme Park Worldwide