TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Good Eating Outside of Theme Parks

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

TOTALLY forgot about this thread. . but I have one from our recent trip to Tampa: Shells (less than 5 minutes from BGT).

here's what I wrote about it in my trip report:

He recommended a seafood place near BGT called “Shells” that he claimed was really good, and was a small Tampa chain. He said everyone he’s sent there has loved it, so we took him at his word and gave it a shot.

A true throwback restaurant, it looked like it hadn’t been touched since built in the 70’s. The hostess stand was in the shape of a rowboat! With a big bar in the center, and lots of tacky aquariums and netting throughout. Oh, and the music playing was 70’s soft rock. .it was PERFECT for us and I loved it immediately. Majority of the food options were fried (of course!), but I ended up with blackened fish with a spicy sauce that was very good. . and the fried clam and Seafood Dip appetizers were very good too.

Nick had a chowder, and I confused the waiter by asking if it came with Oyster Crackers, since he loves those and really wanted some. The waiter was thrown, since he thought I was asking for oysters. .LOL.. young-uns. (it came with saltines instead). The deserts looked like straight out of 70’s diner, but we were so full, didn’t even order any. . and the bar drinks all sounded good . . makes sense since there was a huge bar in the center of the restaurant, but I was avoiding alcohol all trip, since I was already being bad on my diet. . so didn’t try those either.

Unfortunately no pics of the restaurant, since both phones were in the room charging, but if you get to Tampa check out the place, it was very good and right around the corner from BGT – we saw the fireworks from the Kinetix show on the way back to the hotel after eating.

some pics from the web:

Edited by bert425

^

Sigh . . .

From the "ground rules" for this thread:

2. Remember that this must be a locally owned restaurant--no big chains.

I would call Taco Bell a "big chain."

So, this one could go for Spirit Mountain in Duluth (They have an alpine coaster and one of those Soaring Eagle Ziplines, so it counts as a park).

Blackwoods Grill & Bar in Duluth has some of the best meatloaf I've ever had. Seriously, it's amazing.

It's at the intersection of 35 and London Rd/61. Here's the link to place on Google Maps

• 3 weeks later...

Cham Soot Gol was a really good Korean BBQ place I went to after the Knott's day of West Coast Bash last year. It's all you can eat meats and they bring you up to three kinds at a time and you cook it at your table. There's also ice cream included with every meal. It's reasonably priced for all the food you get, about $20 per person. It's open to Midnight or later and is on 8552 Beach Blvd just south of Knott's, literally a stone's throw away.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/cham-soot-gol-buena-park

IMG_9403.thumb.jpg.9d39bca5b4f5e3484d6a3de85a4750e9.jpg

They include a bunch of Korean sides with every meal.

IMG_9404.thumb.jpg.bc258b07481d707236c7499dad6e8e07.jpg

They also have a few different Korean beers you can order.

IMG_9405.thumb.jpg.d615d73e2bd884e22d6515f53c565023.jpg

You get to pick three types/cuts of meat at a time, and when you finish it they'll bring you more. They give you tips on how to cook the meats and will assist you as needed so it's not intimidating.

• 3 weeks later...
Cham Soot Gol was a really good Korean BBQ place I went to after the Knott's day of West Coast Bash last year. It's all you can eat meats and they bring you up to three kinds at a time and you cook it at your table. There's also ice cream included with every meal. It's reasonably priced for all the food you get, about $20 per person. It's open to Midnight or later and is on 8552 Beach Blvd just south of Knott's, literally a stone's throw away.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/cham-soot-gol-buena-park

I'm going to have to try that next time I'm there! I wonder how it compares to Gogi House near SFMM.

• 6 months later...

I have a few from my former home town.

Legoland California:

Cessy's Taco Shop: Has some of the best burritos I've ever tried.

Board & Brew: A good small sandwich chain with even better sandwiches.

Swami's Cafe: Has the greatest healthy breakfast (at least in SoCal).

Primo Pizza & Pasta: Amazing pizza followed by quick delivery and great service.

For Great Adventure, I enjoyed Pasquale's 3 Brothers pizza, just a couple miles south on Monmouth Rd. Have by the slice although I got a small and enjoyed the leftovers the next day too. Unfortunately I don't know of anything near other parks because I rarely spend more than $5 on a meal (Applebee's is definitely no problem if someone else is paying!).

For King's Dominion, there is a Guiseppe's 11 miles north at exit 110, OK, and the Rusty Beaver Brewery (haven't tried it, also not open late) in the next shopping center and a Mexican place (smelled good) and chains at exit 104, plus of course Ashland to the south. A useful thing to know about may be the commuter lot at exit 104, 5 miles north of the park, since I'd be wary of parking anywhere near the park. Head west over Rt. 1 and make an immediate right in front of the auto parts store.

• 8 months later...

El Ranchero Loco is located right outside Dollywood's parking lot entrance at 2902 Veterans Boulevard. Authentic Mexican, family run, great prices, fast service, wonderful flavor on their Carne Asada. I don't think this is a hidden gem since it is starting to get packed near 6pm.

Edited by larrygator

BJ's Restaurant down the road from Magic Mountain has a great craft beer selection and amazing deep dish pizza

BJ's is a chain, we have more than a few of 'em down here in Florida.

But yeah, their pizza is amazing and the only time I'll ever accept deep dish as an option. So good.

• 1 month later...

Here are a few more new (and fairly new) joints in the Williamsburg area.

Craft 31

IMG_5707.jpg

This is a burger-and-pizza place with 31 craft beers on tap (mostly Virginia breweries). I haven't tried the pizza, but the burgers are very good.

Craft31-burger_large.jpg

3701 Strawberry Plains Road

Williamsburg, VA 23188

Turn left on Rt. 60 as you leave the park. Take Rt. 199 West toward Jamestown and Williamsburg. Turn right at the Rt. 5 intersection, then left on Strawberry Plains Road.

Old City Barbeque

IMG_4409.jpg

This used to be the Yorkshire Steak and Seafood House, but it changed last year. I rather liked the pork belly.

26815254_1896209123731257_9057194609759421480_n.jpg?oh=1231e41cb7ca59fa6b04c72ab2b3b4d6&oe=5B156760

Tasty fries and sauce, too.

700 York Street

Williamsburg, VA 23185

Just turn left on Rt. 60, cross under Rt. 199, and keep going until you see it on the left.

Amber Ox Public House

348s.jpg

This is an upscale brew pub. You have to love any brewery that names its American IPA "Cyborg Assassin Kittens."

I tried the Stone Ground Grit Cake, and it was excellent. The Hanger Steak looked pretty dang good, too. Oh, but did I mention the beer?

prophecy-american-ale-amber-ox.jpg?resize=894%2C960

525 Prince George St.

Williamsburg, VA 23185

This is a bit trickier to get to from Busch Gardens. It's located behind the Merchants Square shopping area near the College of William and Mary. Turn left on Rt. 60 as you leave the park. Turn left on York Street. York Street will become Francis Street. Turn right on S. Boundary. Carefully navigate your way through "Confusion Corner" between Merchants Square and the college--keep going "straight" past Merchants Square. Slight left on Prince George Street (when you reach the Nevis store and the Flower Cupboard shop). Pray that you can find a good parking space nearby.