TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

If you think about it. With the gentrification and sprawl from DC, that land that SFA occupies might be way too valuable to be occupied by an amusement park, especially considered that over half of it remains vacant as a buffer zone. Economically, the property would probably see its highest and best use as a mixed purposes residential real estate and commercial area. They could put in luxury high rises, and high end restaurants, bars, and shops, and make it into a very desirable place to live for wealthy DC lobbyists, lawyers, professionals, and young rich recent grads. Especially now that the metro has been extended further out to it. I'd say that unless the city has a clause in the contract that requires the park to stay (as an attraction to conceivably help improve the attractiveness of the area), SFI would be smart to cash out and sell to a developer. SFNO had a clause with New Orleans like that, but it appears that it wasn't honored. The city tried to enforce it, but SFI scooted out, and they weren't about to re-build in an abandoned swamp.

If you think about it. With the gentrification and sprawl from DC, that land that SFA occupies might be way too valuable to be occupied by an amusement park, especially considered that over half of it remains vacant as a buffer zone. Economically, the property would probably see its highest and best use as a mixed purposes residential real estate and commercial area. They could put in luxury high rises, and high end restaurants, bars, and shops, and make it into a very desirable place to live for wealthy DC lobbyists, lawyers, professionals, and young rich recent grads. Especially now that the metro has been extended further out to it. I'd say that unless the city has a clause in the contract that requires the park to stay (as an attraction to conceivably help improve the attractiveness of the area), SFI would be smart to cash out and sell to a developer. SFNO had a clause with New Orleans like that, but it appears that it wasn't honored. The city tried to enforce it, but SFI scooted out, and they weren't about to re-build in an abandoned swamp.

I thought I said much of that but can't find it. I don't think things are to that point -- possibly the whole area would need to become more dense to the point of changes in government attitudes to make it worthwhile. Still, even if they're looking at selling 20 years, this affects what they are willing to build. Water park expansions are mostly cheap and don't hold up well 20 years anyway. A Sky Screamer is practically a portable ride compared to a coaster.

One thing occurs to me reading "high end restaurants, bars, and shops" -- if they do that, leave some rides behind in operation, just change the whole nature of where they're at.

I thought I said much of that but can't find it. I don't think things are to that point -- possibly the whole area would need to become more dense to the point of changes in government attitudes to make it worthwhile. Still, even if they're looking at selling 20 years, this affects what they are willing to build. Water park expansions are mostly cheap and don't hold up well 20 years anyway. A Sky Screamer is practically a portable ride compared to a coaster.

One thing occurs to me reading "high end restaurants, bars, and shops" -- if they do that, leave some rides behind in operation, just change the whole nature of where they're at.

Yeah, I've seen that before. Maybe the Wild One would even make the cut, as its historic. Ironically, the original location of Paragon Park followed this same concept. The park was dismantled, and turned into beachfront property and used for other commercial purposes, but they leaved behind a historic Carousel. Now granted, the insanely high property values of land so close to DC could explain why SFI should sell to maximize the land's economic value, but it doesn't explain why the park is run so poorly, and why they've torpedoed guest experience to the point that they have. I guess Apocalypse? Come on. You can't even count that on your coaster count because any reputable human being would have already ridden Iron Wolf.

I guess Apocalypse? Come on. You can't even count that on your coaster count because any reputable human being would have already ridden Iron Wolf.

I never ridden Iron Wolf, nor Apocalypse, for that matter, and I live 45 minutes from SFA.

Edited by Mike240SX

Why not both? SFA has a TON of land they will never use. Why not have some sort of City Walk/Disney Springs arrangement where Six Flags builds and leases space to some of these higher end bars/shops? Bars and shops would be unlikely to complain about any noise (unlike if they leased the land for condos) and it would be a year round source of income...

I highly doubt Six Flags is straight up losing money on SFA otherwise it would of probably been sold off a long time ago when they were liquidating in bankruptcy.

It's not so much about revenues minus expenses, its about the economic opportunity cost. Sure, you can run a park, and take in more money than you spend, and that's fine. But if there is an opportunity to sell at a premium to an investor who is either overpaying for it, or could make more than you could, you would be a wise businessperson to consider that option. Remember, some money is fine, but even more money is even better.

Think about it this way. In one scenario you're taking a risk, and hoping that you can squeeze a profit margin out of a risky venture and cover costs. In another scenario, you have tons of cold hard cash shoved into your pocket, you can sell off the assets of the parks, and other invest the money in institutional equities, return it to shareholders and buy back some of the company, or plow the money into better performing parks, or acquire parks that might be better placed to properly serve the public and operating at better margins.

You either grow and you evolve, or you die.

Why not both? SFA has a TON of land they will never use. Why not have some sort of City Walk/Disney Springs arrangement where Six Flags builds and leases space to some of these higher end bars/shops? Bars and shops would be unlikely to complain about any noise (unlike if they leased the land for condos) and it would be a year round source of income...

Eh, I'm not sure Six Flags is a brand that can pull that kind of upscale marketing off compared to Disney or Cedar Fair.

Eh, I'm not sure Six Flags is a brand that can pull that kind of upscale marketing off compared to Disney or Cedar Fair.

Interesting idea. Heck, they could maybe even put hotels in there, or luxury condos that were heavily reinforced and soundproof, and made all the new residences acknowledge that they waive all rights to complain about noise in the future in perpetuity. I feel like bars and restaurants and shops would be a great way to go, but they're not nearly as lucrative as luxury housing would be that close to DC. Also, keep in mind, there are a ton of lucrative private government contractor firms with tons of skilled jobs all over southern Maryland and NoVa as well. Any area that is undeveloped is coveted, as housing is limited, and for areas that are already developed for housing, it probably already has existing older style housing that isn't as desirable for younger wealthy people.

^^-- I wasn't thinking it would necessarily end up being a Six Flags with my combination idea -- I really don't know how it would work. It just seemed odd to be talking about putting in bars and other entertainments in place of an amusement park when there's malls with coasters in them. Screwed up priorities! But, money.

I started talking about sale of the property in trying to explain what could be going on. Of course there's even some possibility they don't put much in SFA because they know the park inherently becomes unpleasant when crowded and it just increases the "reputation" issues. Or maybe Six Flags is trying different ways to run parks, it's even starting to work.... I don't think Six Flags is in a hurry to sell the place even if they see it in the future. I just think it could be a factor in their decisions that the land it is on is more valuable than usual (and relatively unspectacular as well).

^^-- I wasn't thinking it would necessarily end up being a Six Flags with my combination idea -- I really don't know how it would work. It just seemed odd to be talking about putting in bars and other entertainments in place of an amusement park when there's malls with coasters in them. Screwed up priorities! But, money.

I started talking about sale of the property in trying to explain what could be going on. Of course there's even some possibility they don't put much in SFA because they know the park inherently becomes unpleasant when crowded and it just increases the "reputation" issues. Or maybe Six Flags is trying different ways to run parks, it's even starting to work.... I don't think Six Flags is in a hurry to sell the place even if they see it in the future. I just think it could be a factor in their decisions that the land it is on is more valuable than usual (and relatively unspectacular as well).

I have to imagine if it wasn't doing well financially, It would've been sold like Darien Lake and Kentucky Kingdom.