TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

3 Questions:

Were there blacklights in the bathroom?

This is the only question I can answer and the answer is No. The washrooms all had red lights in them, which is really kind of odd when you're in there doing your business. It felt like my retinas were burning!

I did not see the Friday the 13th 4D movie nor did I bother getting anything to eat at the park as the lines were rather crazy.

I ask cause they did that a few years ago.

• 2 months later...

There is a Skyride in the parking lot.

Okay, so I was tooling around on Google Maps today (Thursday is my Friday and I'm mostly done for the week, yay), and I saw the most beautiful thing. So it looks like I can only get there from the furthest parking lot. If I get to the park early, can I just choose to park back there? Would they make me wait until the closer lots fill first?

Basically, how do I ride this Skyride?

That lot only opens if it's needed due to volume.

Right, and even when that third lot opens sometimes they just run shuttles rather then opening the chair lift. It's so rare, we're talking you could count on one hand the number of times it opened in 2017.

Ah, that's disappointing. Better not to expect it though. I'll be there Sunday June 3, and since that's a slow day for pretty much every park, sounds like there's zero chance then. Thanks for good info though.

I have never seen it run in my visits to the park, all of which have been in the peak of summer.

I have never seen it run in my visits to the park, all of which have been in the peak of summer.

I've seen it run once, and that was two or three years ago.

Ytterbiumanalyst, if you want to ride, my best guess is you could probably win the lottery, get struck by lightning then go to KW and it will most likely be running.

This video was uploaded to youtube yesterday, figured it was good timing for this thread:

I rode Kenny's Parkway in 2017, I think it was in July - the lower 2 lots were about completely full and they had just opened the top. We had the option to shuttle or ride the parkway - of course we choose the parkway!

Very good video, thanks for sharing!

PKI Jizzman, I'm surprised to hear such praise for Exterminator. Usually people talk a lot about Phantom and the older coasters but not that one. I am a fan of very highly themed rides, so that excites me, but otherwise I hear it's really just a wild mouse. What makes Exterminator so good?

PKI Jizzman, I'm surprised to hear such praise for Exterminator. Usually people talk a lot about Phantom and the older coasters but not that one. I am a fan of very highly themed rides, so that excites me, but otherwise I hear it's really just a wild mouse. What makes Exterminator so good?

The reason Exterminator doesn't get much recognition is the excruciatingly painful queue line. The queue is regularly 3-4 times any of the park's other coasters and it moves at a snail's pace.

As far as wild mice go, it's a lot of fun. Many of the indoor coasters I've ridden are just in a wide open box (in total darkness of course). Exterminator has narrow hallways between several of the elements. There's also some solid theming along the course. Those two things combine to make for an incredibly disorienting ride when the spinning is thrown in as well.

Very good video, thanks for sharing!

Shockingly the line was the shortest of any ride during my visit - Phantom was nearly an hour long!

Pretty sure its layout is the same as any of those weird circular car wild mouse coasters at the fair, but like others said it's in a box and it's DARK. You couldn't see sh*t and the dips the ride takes really get you off guard. We were all crying laughing when we got back to the station.

I was bummed to miss Exterminator on my trip to Kennywood last summer. By the time I made it back there, it was late in the day and the line was moving at a glacial pace. Naturally we bailed and rode Phantom again. I have been on it's sister, Primeval Whirl, but it would have been nice to experience it indoors, with what sounds like is pretty cool theming. But it's always good to have an excuse to get back out to West Mifflin.

I haven’t been to Kennywood for so long. I need to make a visit.

Joey I just got off the phone with Noah and he needs lots of help getting the animals on the Ark. He doesn't believe in cars so he figures if you walk you'll get there around summer time, so you should definitely plan at trip to Kennywood when the weather is nicer. Maybe throw in a Pirates game, some Argentinian food, and some gastropubs.

Kennywood is going to be adding a "Thomas Town" area in 2018 and the first thing I thought of when I heard the news was Six Flags and how Six Flags used to have the rights to use Thomas the Tank Engine at for Thomas Town at some of their parks from 2007-2010.

Link: https://www.kennywood.com/thomastownatkennywood

421741461_ThomasTownKennywoodlogoforrelease_0.jpg.8a2cb8e490c7568075141da0fd2623a9.jpg

Thomas the Tank Engine™, along with his friends and favorite destinations from the Island of Sodor, will come to life this year with the opening of Thomas Town™ within Kennywood Park, one of the world's most renowned family amusement parks. Thomas Town will feature five rides including a train ride with Thomas, a stage show along with themed play and entertainment areas, merchandise opportunities and more within a section of Kennywood. It will be the second-largest permanent Thomas & Friends™ attraction in North America.

"We're so excited to welcome Thomas & Friends to Kennywood," says Kennywood General Manager Jerome Gibas. "Thomas Town presents a huge addition that expands our family offerings while introducing the park to Thomas & Friends fans from around the globe. We couldn't ask for a better gift for Kennywood and our guests to help celebrate our 120th anniversary season in 2018."

Set on a bluff overlooking the Monongahela River and the historic Edgar Thomson Steel Works in nearby Braddock, the site of Thomas Town fits in perfectly with the Island of Sodor. It will be one of the largest single-year additions in Kennywood's 120-year history, adding four new family rides, plus retheming The Olde Kennywood Railroad into a Thomas & Friends story. The area will also include a retail center, soft-play area, Birthday Center, and an entertainment show featuring Thomas' friends Percy, James, Emily and Gordon. All the attractions will be placed in and around the existing footprint of the park's train ride, which has operated at Kennywood with various themes since 1945.

All of the rides and attractions will feature beloved characters such as Thomas, Diesel, Salty, Iron Bert, Rusty, Cranky the Crane, Harold the Helicopter and more favorites. Guests can visit familiar destinations around the Island of Sodor like Tidmouth Sheds and Knapford Station. Sir Topham Hatt, Controller of the Railway on the Island of Sodor, will be on site to greet and take photos with guests. More details will be revealed in the coming months leading up to the area's grand opening. Follow along for updates on construction and progress on our Thomas Town page, plus the Kennywood Facebook and Twitter pages.

https://www.kennywood.com/thomastown

Journey with Thomas

Head to Kennywood Station and climb aboard for an unforgettable journey with the Number 1 Blue Engine! Guests of all ages can hop aboard a Thomas-themed train ride that takes you along the back side of Kennywood, with wondrous views of the Monongahela River and the Edgar Thomson Works, the oldest steel mill in the Steel City. It’s a beautiful setting that looks like what you might see on the island of Sodor!

Riders under 46" must ride with a responsible person.

Cranky’s Drop Tower

Strap in tight for a truly Cranky experience! Sodor’s strongest crane will lift you high above Thomas Town™, and then drop you down!

Riders must be at least 42” tall to ride.

Harold’s Helicopter Tour

All set and ready for action! Kids can take control of their own Harold Helicopter and pilot him up and down as they spin round and round.

Riders under 36” tall must ride with a responsible person; there is no maximum height restriction. No hand held infants.

Flynn’s Fire Training

Junior firefighters shoot water to extinguish flames on this unique, interactive ride.

Riders under 36” tall must ride with a responsible person; there is no maximum height restriction. No hand held infants.

Diesel Drivers

Don’t forget the Diesels! Climb aboard Diesel, Iron Bert and other Diesel engines for a fun ride.

Steel City Adventures! Live Show at Tidmouth Sheds

Show times: To Be Announced

Join Gordon, James, Emily, Percy & Sir Topham Hatt as they prepare for a very special adventure on the rails. A few important deliveries need to make it safely from the Island of Sodor to the Steel City of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania! Each engine has a unique job and special cargo to deliver. So hop on board as Kennywood proudly presents, Steel City Adventures! at Tidmouth Sheds, Thomas Town.

Thomas & Friends™ Big Adventures Play Zone

Children can have big adventures and big fun in a soft play area, construct test tracks for the Steam Team, and relive some of the characters’ favorite moments in our media center!

Thomas Town Gift Co.

Find all your favorite Thomas & Friends merchandise! Look out for special items that can only be found in Thomas Town.

Party Pavilion *

Celebrate your birthday the Sodor Way! Thomas Town’s Party Pavilion can be booked for special events through Kennywood’s Group Sales office.

*Check back soon for information on when and how to reserve the Party Pavillion. Or, book Kenny Kangaroo-Za-Palooza Birthday Party on our private party patio today! Visit our Birthdays Page for more information about Kenny Kangaroo-Za-Palooza.

Edited by jedimaster1227

I guess there's nothing wrong with a licensed area for the park, it just always seems out of place to me for an old, old park to do something like this. Will be interested to see how they place the rides. Some concept art would add to the release a lot.