TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Waldameer Discussion Thread

So, I know this is the closest possible to not really being anything noteworthy at all but whoever runs the Waldameer Instagram responded to a question about potential future roller coasters saying

"Not sure, but someday! We have some neat ideas for future expansions that include a roller coaster."

So I know this isn't really news but it is nice to hear that they are still thinking about expansions that could one day include a roller coaster. Not really sure where they could expand and fit in a coaster, maybe down by the lake, I'm not entirely sure what property they own currently

Darn guess that Raptor track isn't for Waldameer (had to get that ridiculous comment out of the way)

^It was me who said that in a comment. What I can say about a future coaster addition is that it is so far away, a manufacturer, type, or even layout has not been selected or have we consulted with a particular manufacturer. We are talking a ways out for the next coaster. But, Ravine Flyer II is not going to be the only major coaster forever.

^It was me who said that in a comment. What I can say about a future coaster addition is that it is so far away, a manufacturer, type, or even layout has not been selected or have we consulted with a particular manufacturer. We are talking a ways out for the next coaster. But, Ravine Flyer II is not going to be the only major coaster forever.

The followup is much appreciated and even without any real plans in place it's fun to be able to speculate some, but let me say I'm just happy that we have a coaster as great as Ravine Flyer II.

Well its settled. I'll be in Waldameer Thursday June 1st. Probably getting there 2-3 PM. Any guess on what crowds would be like? Planning on spamming RFII much as possible, but id like to hit all the rides. Possible to do before 7-8 PM? Very excited not just for RF2 but I'm becoming a bigger fan of small, nice parks with time. (Too used to Great Adventure, CP, and later on Hershey)!

Well its settled. I'll be in Waldameer Thursday June 1st. Probably getting there 2-3 PM. Any guess on what crowds would be like? Planning on spamming RFII much as possible, but id like to hit all the rides. Possible to do before 7-8 PM? Very excited not just for RF2 but I'm becoming a bigger fan of small, nice parks with time. (Too used to Great Adventure, CP, and later on Hershey)!

You picked a good day. Park hours are 10:30am-7:30pm with possibly several field trips. However, field trips are nothing to worry about because there will be next to zero GP to generate a crowd that would build any significant lines. The last 2-3 hours of "school days" during early June are usually pretty empty once school groups leave.

You picked a good day. Park hours are 10:30am-7:30pm with possibly several field trips. However, field trips are nothing to worry about because there will be next to zero GP to generate a crowd that would build any significant lines. The last 2-3 hours of "school days" during early June are usually pretty empty once school groups leave.

Excellent! Glad my choice seems to have been a wise one. Very excited.

• 4 weeks later...

I am planning on making my first trip to Waldameer on Saturday, June 3rd. I will be at the park sometime after 5:00 pm and want to ride the coasters and get multiple rides in on Ravine Flyer II. Will this be possible? How busy is the park on a Saturday this time of the year? Any other must-do rides at this park? Any advice will be appreciated.

I am planning on making my first trip to Waldameer on Saturday, June 3rd. I will be at the park sometime after 5:00 pm and want to ride the coasters and get multiple rides in on Ravine Flyer II. Will this be possible? How busy is the park on a Saturday this time of the year? Any other must-do rides at this park? Any advice will be appreciated.

Sure, you can do it. It might be somewhat busy on a Saturday, but there aren't too many "must avoid!" days at Waldameer. If two trains are running on RFII, I haven't waited much more than 15 min. If it's just one train, there have been times when it's been 30-40 minutes, but the park is small enough that you should still be able to comfortably squeeze everything in that you want to do.

In addition to the coasters, the flume, drop tower, and two zany haunts are all great fun. I'd consider them all must-do when you visit.

• 5 weeks later...

Waldameer is absolutely amazing. I love small family parks and Waldameer is one of the best I've been to. I had the chance to visit earliet today when I was in the area.

The forecast called for a 100% chance of downpours and scattered thunderstorms. My original plan was to whore the kiddie credit at Fun Fore All, stop in at Conneaut, and then finish with Waldameer. Well I was off to a great start when a light drizzle kept the outdoor rides at Fun Fore All closed. I then saw Conneaut updated their Facebook page saying they were closed. I couldn't find the same messsage for Waldameer so I called them. I got an enthusiastic "Yes we are open" and would learn that their rain policy is amazing.

Waldameer runs all of their rides in rain, no matter how hard it is coming down. At one point this afternoon, all the park's pathways became a shallow pool of water yet Ravine Flyer II was still running if people got in line. Major props to Waldameer since many smaller parks wouldn't have even opened and larger parks would have closed rides in those conditions. Crowds were extremely light which caused the park to close early at 8 but I had plenty of time to hit everything.

Ravine Flyer II is amazing. That first drop gives crazy ejector air in the back and the first half has fantastic speed and airtime. The second half is noticeably less intense and it seemed to crawl over the final hills, but overall it was the perfect mix of intensity with reridablity. I got 27 rides in. I'm trying to decide where to rank it. It's definitely behind my big 4 woodies, but it's tough to pick between Cornball, Shivering Timbers, and Ravine Flyer.

My Dad and his wife have been taking Michael to his treatments in Erie every day during the week and they said that it was REALLY pouring down rain to where the streets were getting flooded yesterday morning/afternoon.

Glad to hear that you were able to get your rides in - it's great to hear that RF2 was running good as some people have said that it's gotten rough in the past couple of years. I need to get out there soon to ride it again. Having such a great coaster only one hour from me, it seems stupid for me to type that it's been over 3 years since I have ridden it!

Ravine Flyer II is amazing. That first drop gives crazy ejector air in the back and the first half has fantastic speed and airtime. The second half is noticeably less intense and it seemed to crawl over the final hills, but overall it was the perfect mix of intensity with reridablity. I got 27 rides in. I'm trying to decide where to rank it. It's definitely behind my big 4 woodies, but it's tough to pick between Cornball, Shivering Timbers, and Ravine Flyer.

I struggle to remember if Ravine Flyer has always been a bit slower in the second half (I agree it is) but until this year I had only ridden in with full trains, so I'm sure that effects the end of the ride. The first half is great thought if they could have kept that intensity throughout it would be a near perfect coaster for me.

^ I watched a POV from a few years back and it looks similar speed. It doesn't seem like the empty trains were hurting the speed too much. Granted the rain maybe cancelled that out.

My Dad and his wife have been taking Michael to his treatments in Erie every day during the week and they said that it was REALLY pouring down rain to where the streets were getting flooded yesterday morning/afternoon.

Glad to hear that you were able to get your rides in - it's great to hear that RF2 was running good as some people have said that it's gotten rough in the past couple of years. I need to get out there soon to ride it again. Having such a great coaster only one hour from me, it seems stupid for me to type that it's been over 3 years since I have ridden it!

I'd love to have Ravine Flyer II within an hour of me. That coaster was fantastic. I didn't find it rough at all and that included rides in the very back on the wheel seat. Some of the maneuvers are aggressive and throw you to the side a bit, but nothing I'd consider rough.

Glad to hear that you were able to get your rides in - it's great to hear that RF2 was running good as some people have said that it's gotten rough in the past couple of years.

I go to Waldameer 9-10 times a year and I can guarantee you Ravine Flyer 2 is nowhere near "rough". Waldameer does a fantastic job with upkeep on that coaster!

I was up at Waldameer today after not being there for about four years. A lot has changed since my last visit and the park looks even better now that the wristband booths have been removed from the midway. Also happy that the old inn was removed and the parking lot expanded and paved. It was much needed.

I thought RFII had a slight hint of roughness on my two rides. First ride was towards the back of the red train, which is where I felt it more than towards the front of the blue train on my second ride. It didn't detract from the overall ride experience and I didn't think it slowed down at all during the second half with the trains running pretty much full. Of course night rides is where it's at as RFII is one of the best night ride coasters out there.

It's still best wooden coaster in the entire region. Glad that I live 1.5 hours from it.

An thought came to me while on my way home from the park - I know the wristbands seem to work well for the park but now that the booths have been moved to create new entrances, do you think Waldameer would ever consider pay one price for the rides but keep the wristbands for Water World? It seems the scanning of wristbands at some rides seem to slow down loading times (i.e. Music Express, which is still one of the best versions of that ride I've been on and Steel Dragon, one of my favorite spinning coasters).

I had heard how great of a night ride Ravine Flyer II was and was looking forward to trying it then but the park closed early due to low crowds. I can't really complain though since I got something like 30 rides on it.

• 1 month later...

New for 2018:

www.goerie.com/news/20170813/erie-park-to-open-two-new-rides-in-2018

Waldameer to spend about $1 million to buy and install the attractions.

Waldameer Park & Water World visitors will have two new attractions to ride in 2018.

The Millcreek Township amusement park will install a Samba Balloon Ride for children and adults in the park, and a Cannonbowl 30 tube slide as part of the water park. Both rides are expected to be ready for the start of the 2018 season.

“We’re in the middle of a five- to six-year expansion of the water park, but we also wanted to add something to the amusement park as well,” Waldameer owner Paul Nelson said. “We will start getting ready for the new rides as soon as the season ends in September.”

Buying and installing the new rides will cost about $1 million, Nelson said. It follows the water park’s $2.5 million Battle of Lake Erie water playground that opened in July.

The Samba Balloon Ride is built by Zamperla, an Italian-based company that has built six other Waldameer rides. The attraction features eight cars that can hold up to four people each and are decorated to look like balloon baskets.

The balloon ride rotates, rises and falls, and is designed for children and their parents, Nelson said.

“We’re a family park, not just a park for teenagers,” Nelson said. “We needed a nice, family ride with a good capacity. This ride can hold 32 people.”

The Cannonbowl 30 is built by ProSlide, an Ontario-based company. It’s a two-person tube slide where riders are swept into a bowl at a high speed and spin several times around the wall of the bowl.

Riders will have to be at least 42 inches tall to ride the Cannonbowl 30.

“It will be a thrilling ride for older kids and young adults,” Waldameer President Steve Gorman said.

The balloon ride will be located near Kiddieland, while the Cannonbowl 30 will be installed off the same platform as two of the water park’s slides, Gorman said.

Waldameer also is selling 2018 season passes. Those who buy them now also receive admission to the park for the rest of the 2017 season.

The cost is $99.95 for those 48 inches and taller, a slight increase from the $96 charged for the 2017 season pass.

cannonbowl30.JPG.2cf90647b00d0cf73b1a5d01b703fdee.JPG

http://www.goerie.com/news/20160927/eries-waldameer-looks-to-make-another-splash-in-2017

Edited by jedimaster1227

Looks like we're finally getting the bowl to fill that "phantom" spot where the third tube was supposed to go on the south most set of slides. I dig it. Definitely is nice to have another slide added after basically staying static in the slides department since Water World opened.

Only thing I am curious about with these additions is where the balloon ride will go. I'm guessing it will go in the vacant area that the old Kiddle splash pool used to be (behind where the Happy Swing is now). As of now, that is just a vacant grass patch.

Definitely solid additions, and keeping with something new every year. Waldameer is definitely on a good streak lately. It's amazing to see the growth in the park over the last ten years.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Trip planning time! Going to be at Waldameer June 2, a Saturday. Obviously I'm there mainly for Ravine Flyer II, but that new water slide looks pretty fun as well. I'll probably get the combo wristband and spend some time in the waterpark.

Waldameer's website has an interesting phrase: "Rides begin opening at noon, all rides open by 1." So I'm guessing it would be better to head straight to the water park at opening, then do rides after?

Also, what rides have long and/or slow moving lines that I may want to do early? Definitely want to do the two dark rides, the sky ride, the flume, and the coasters. Are any of the flats especially good, can't miss? They're all types I've been on before, so they'll be as time allows unless there's something special that bumps a particular flat into can't miss territory.

Thanks!

^ June 2nd might be too early for the water park around these parts, Andrew.

I will say that I have been to the water park in the middle of August and thought that the water in the lazy river felt like it was about 50 degrees. I assume (or at least hope) that the new attractions have heated water, but some of the workers that post on here regularly could probably answer that question for you.

In terms of the park, I would try to get the Whacky Shack out of the way first as that usually has a fair line and it moves slooooow. The rest of the ride lines usually aren't that bad, but on a Saturday (if it's a nice day), they could be.

Must do's are pretty much the rides that you mentioned, although definitely try their Music Express because they run it on full speed. Very reminiscent of a European fair flat.

Another don't miss is XScream. Given that Waldameer is on a hill overlooking Lake Erie, that 140' seems like about 3-400' if you are facing the lake. This one definitely took me by surprise - one of the more thrilling drop towers out there!

Take a spin on the ferris wheel & swings for more spectacular views of Lake Erie and Presque Isle.

Everything else is pretty much your standard flat ride collection if you're into those...Tilt A Whirl, Paratrooper, Disk-O, etc...all fun rides.

Judging from your past trip reports and posts on here, I can tell already that you are going to LOVE Waldameer! It really is a great little family park with some good thrill rides and a decent water park thrown in.

The only downfall is that they don't serve beer. lol

I LOVED Waldameer and they had one of the best rain policies I've ever seen. Despite the fact the park was a ghost town and clearly losing money, they stayed open despite torrential downpours basically non-stop during my visit.

While crowds weren't an issue for my visit, based on the dispatch speed I saw, I'd expect that Steel Dragon and Whacky Shack would have the two slowest moving lines. They only had one train on each of the wooden coasters, so I could see those lines being longer than most others as well, but manageable.

I skipped the water park so I can't comment on any of those. Oh and make sure you try the deep fried pretzel!

Trip planning time! Going to be at Waldameer June 2, a Saturday. Obviously I'm there mainly for Ravine Flyer II, but that new water slide looks pretty fun as well. I'll probably get the combo wristband and spend some time in the waterpark.

Waldameer's website has an interesting phrase: "Rides begin opening at noon, all rides open by 1." So I'm guessing it would be better to head straight to the water park at opening, then do rides after?

Also, what rides have long and/or slow moving lines that I may want to do early? Definitely want to do the two dark rides, the sky ride, the flume, and the coasters. Are any of the flats especially good, can't miss? They're all types I've been on before, so they'll be as time allows unless there's something special that bumps a particular flat into can't miss territory.

Thanks!

Seems the second is a Saturday? Any way you can do a Friday? I only ask because I did Waldameer on a Friday as part of my CP trip and the park was utterly empty. I got there a little after opening and I was literally one of a few cars. There were a handful of people. Buses came in later, but by then I was able to do everything. I went just to get to OH early but if I stayed could've done everything tons of times.

It was a fun lil park. I'm skipping it this CP trip for Kennywood but you'll enjoy it