Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

P. 1230: Cheetah Chase launched racing slides announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 7 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

Postby prozach626 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:32 pm

Taking a page out of Herschend's book, perhaps. I'm curious how this park will look 20 years from now. Except I suspect Pilgrim's Plunge will still be in it's current condition...

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby flagrockerthegreat » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:03 pm

Hopefully they bring back Pilgrims Plunge, never got to ride it.
Cannonball Run Menace, 112 rides and counting! :br

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:09 pm

It's not coming back. I never got to ride it either, since they removed it before I had ever heard of Holiday World, but sounds like it wasn't a great experience anyway.

Holiday World has awesome shows as it is, so to hear them step it up a notch it fantastic.

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby Hockeydad » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:34 pm

I thought Pilgrim's Plunge/Giraffica was a great ride...when it was open! It was just a maintenance nightmare.

Is my pee supposed to be this color?

Postby Midgetman82 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:20 pm

The drop was something spectacular, and the elevator lift up definitely was a thrill of its own too! Overall, though, I thought it was alright in my opinion. I do think that space could be used for something potentially much better someyear.
So long, and thanks for all the fish! | Photography Blog |Flickr | @WaterSlideDB | Coaster Count

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:47 pm

I never liked this Intamin ride or had a positive experience across 2 visits. Without a doubt, the best part for me was ascending the tower because of the lean that the boat took when going up the arc, but it never turned out to be as scary as it looked from down below.

The main point of the ride - the way down, was just water being sprayed in your face at such a speed you had to close your eyes, and the splash was an abrupt stop that had my knees meeting the plastic backs of the seats in front of me way too harsh, and I'm only 5'8"! At least log flumes have a curve to the drop to give you a little airtime, there was nothing great about the triangle slide in my opinion :lol:

It seriously might be the only ride that I passionately disliked. Remember how big the splash was supposed to be?

{1991} Chicago guy. Creative ad world guy with @adultswim @cartoonnetwork World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd

Postby Canobie Coaster » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:49 pm

That plot of land where Pilgrim's Plunge used to lay is a major eyesore. I don't fault the park for removing it due to the troubles it gave them, but I really hope something goes there in the near future.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland), Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan
Most Recent Trip Reports- Knoebels & Dutch Wonderland

Postby cal1br3tto » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:47 pm

mark549 wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/dec/09/santa-claus-indiana-gets-20000-letters-a-year-and-elves-reply-to-all-of-them

Santa Claus, Indiana gets 20,000 letters a year – and 'elves' reply to all of them

Every year, this little town is inundated with letters addressed to Santa Claus, and since 1914 volunteers have written back with personal replies

I did this for my job last Christmas (except we sent the kids cringeworthy poems from the Internet instead of personal notes). Let me tell you, some of the letters we got were heart-meltingly adorable.

I wasn't wowed by Pilgiraffica. I remember being intrigued and excited when I first heard about it, though.
114 wood+512 steel=626 | Steel Vengeance | Boulder Dash | Twisted Timbers | Coaster | X2 | Twisted Colossus | Storm Chaser | Phoenix | Maverick | Twisted Cyclone | Iron Rattler | Voyage | Kawasemi | El Toro | New Texas Giant

Postby prozach626 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:32 pm

Canobie Coaster wrote:That plot of land where Pilgrim's Plunge used to lay is a major eyesore. I don't fault the park for removing it due to the troubles it gave them, but I really hope something goes there in the near future.

I'm sure they have something planned, although one would have thought it would have happened already. Maybe the fact that they still haven't touched that area hints at a higher budget attraction. I'm kind of surprised the water park hasn't been expanded in that plot of land, yet.

In my completely unrealistic hopes and dreams I imagine a sky ride station leading up to the top of the hill, with Beer Man pleasantly waiting at the bottom giving a cold delicious welcome to all who visit him.

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby WestCoasterKing » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:09 pm

Giraffica/Pilgrims Plunge seemed like a gimmick whose time was limited. Grsnted I've never rode it. Never even been to HW personally. But I've never been impressed with chute-the-chutes in general. I've done Tidal Wave, Perilous Plunge and they are just tall boat slides. At least Jurrasic Park and Pirates of the Carribean have dark ride elements and other stuff. But just going up and around and back down seems like an experience that gets old quick, regardless the height. I hope HW gets another ground breaking steel giant coaster in the future.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!