TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Blackpool Pleasure Beach (BPB) Discussion Thread

The Immelmann, the tallest point of the ride is complete:-

https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fblackpoolpleasurebeach%2Fphotos%2Fa.274171267364.146228.88885897364%2F10155922744217365%2F%3Ftype%3D3&width=500"%20width="500"%20height="502"%20style="border:none;overflow:hidden"%20scrolling="no"%20frameborder="0"%20allowTransparency="true">

An Icon construction update from BPB's supporters club, Pleasure Beach Experience;

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

Construction is progressing at a rapid pace, Icon will probably be fully constructed by the end of January.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach opens for 'Wow Weekends' on Saturday 10th February 2018 however Icon won't be open before Spring.

• 3 weeks later...
What?

It's just getting some maintenance, right?

Right?!!

I really, really hope that it is just maintenance that is going on. But it certainly doesn't look like it..

I was so looking forward to riding this next year..

It would be strange to me that I park would demolish an almost 70-year-old right without any prior notice, so I'm waiting for an official announcement. Still, to remove such a coaster completely... not too promising. Especially when reminded of the fact that BPB did not hold back to remove old coasters here and here because money. Amusement parks are business after all.

I think we all understand WHY they are removing the ride, doesn't mean we have to like or agree with it. It's a classic, aggressive, crazy ride. Also it has low capacity, low popularity amongst the general public, and probably costs a lot to maintain. I love it and will miss it, but these things happen.

Posted on the ECC fb site;

BPB Statement in Ref to the Removal of the "Wild Mouse"

After very careful consideration and planning, our current winter work programme has seen the permanent closure and dismantling of the Wild Mouse and the removal of the façade of the former Trauma Tower attractions. This will create an area for future exciting developments.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach is a constantly evolving amusement park and has been for the past 122 years. The changes it has seen over the years are what has made it the great park it is today. This, coupled with a relatively small amount of space, means that in order to progress and look to the future we occasionally need to alter the landscape of the park to make way for future developments.

Also just saw the statement on the ECC Facebook. Really disappointed, since I was planning on going to England this year and this was a ride a was really looking forward to. I also just don't understand it. Apart from the popularity among fans, I also read on the ECC Facebook that is was also quite popular among the GP. Together with the fact that Blackpool is a park with seems to value it's historical rides, I just can''t believe this decision. I just hope Dreamland Margate will ever set up their wooden Wild Mouse, and otherwise, too bad but nothing to do about it. I understand progress, but I at least expected BPB to announce a closure of such a classic ride way sooner.

I think we all understand WHY they are removing the ride, doesn't mean we have to like or agree with it. It's a classic, aggressive, crazy ride. Also it has low capacity, low popularity amongst the general public, and probably costs a lot to maintain. I love it and will miss it, but these things happen.

This sums up my thoughts, also. As another posted has stated, many this in some way helps Margate get King Solomon's Mine rebuilt.

Just saw the news on FB! Is this completely out of left field?? It literally never crossed my mind to worry about it coming down any time soon. I really really enjoyed my rides on it, a lot, and loved that this kind of ride still existed.

It would be strange to me that I park would demolish an almost 70-year-old right without any prior notice

Oh, trust me, I completely get why they did this. Had they announced it in advance, or did a "come get your last rides" type of thing, you'd have every nerdy roller coaster enthusiast angrily bad-mouthing them and harassing them to the point of making it not worth their while to allow someone to get a "last ride" in. Clearly the decision was made to close the ride a while ago, as a park doesn't just wake up one day and go "Hey, you know what? After lunch, let's go demolish that ride over there..." so this means they purposely made the choice NOT to let people know that it was going to be demolished.

Honestly, I cannot blame them. Parks don't HAVE to do anything for "enthusiasts" and regardless if you are happy or not about this decision, it's not going to stop the masses from coming to the park. I've seen plenty of times parks go out of their way to allow guests a "last ride" on a classic ride at a park only to have that bite them in the ass and people moan and complain about it.

If I owned a park, I would have done exactly the same thing. In fact, if it were up to me, I probably would have done a live stream of the demolition!

Honestly, I cannot blame them. Parks don't HAVE to do anything for "enthusiasts" and regardless if you are happy or not about this decision, it's not going to stop the masses from coming to the park. I've seen plenty of times parks go out of their way to allow guests a "last ride" on a classic ride at a park only to have that bite them in the A$$ and people moan and complain about it.

Also, God forbid, the stupidity that would go down if the ride had an unexpected breakdown / early closure and everyone who waited until the very last hour of the day to go get their ride in couldn't.

Well that was definitely unexpected, and a sad loss. I haven't been on the other three Wild Mouse coasters, and not as many coasters as most other forum members here, but this coaster was one that genuinely made you feel as if you could die - sliding around in the back of the car with someone else between your legs, bum leaving the seat on the drops, ducking under the track on the lifthill, and the car seemingly rounding corners on two wheels.

You didn't dare put your arms in the air on this one because the Wild Mouse would instantly knock out your ribs. A truly unforgiving mistress.

I was born and bred around Blackpool so the Wild Mouse is like a part of history to me. Never liked it much as a kid nut did as an adult. And there was always a steady line to ride - not necessarily a long one but it was there. Never a walk-on (possibly because of its low capacity).

So farewell Wild Mouse, you will be sorely missed.

Gutted. I can't think of a time I've been hit harder by a closure. I still remember squirming the last time there was a rumor of this happening, but the ride had ultimately seemed safe based on the final commentary to come out at that time. On a purely personal level, at least I never had any rock-solid plans to visit the park that I'd previously cancelled, and I've gotten to do plenty of cool trips that I would've had to sacrifice in order to do a UK trip during a similar timeframe. And I wouldn't have visited recently following the Icon announcement, since I'd for sure rather wait until that's open. Trade-offs, always.

I was hugely upset by Duelling Dragons getting flattened and now this news.

I loved Wild Mouse for the sheer terror of injury it produced. One of the classic vintage rides giving BPB its unique feel. I understand all the reasons why it’s gone but it doesn’t make it any easier to accept.