Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

p. 1919 - Holiday in the Park Media Day
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:28 pm

^ :nina:

Really great report. Bill on Green Lantern? That is epic. It's really not that bad; it's just not a good coaster either. Totally enjoyed al the pictures of Brit where you can't see her face. I'm sure that's what I looked like at SDC yesterday in 20F weather.

Postby coasterbill » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:06 am

:lol: Thanks guys! Yeah, I still can't believe I actually rode that thing (and had fun). I really might have done it again if it didn't mean standing around for 15 minutes waiting for people to show up.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby El Toro_Ryan » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:29 pm

Here's an off-ride video of Toro I put together. It has a lot of nerdy behind the scenes shots including super slow test runs, boosted test runs, and angles you don't really get to see as a guest.

#ThroughputAddict (I need rehab). YOUTUBE PAGE: http://www.youtube.com/c/ElToroRyan

2014: El Toro Team Member
2015: Kingda Ka Team Member
2016: El Toro Unit Supervisor
2017: El Toro Unit Supervisor (Month of April) and Random Team Member when I felt like working (August thru December)
2018: Millennium Force Ride Host (Halloweekends)

Credit Count: 373

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:42 pm

:lover: :lover: :lover: :lover: :lover:

Postby coasterbill » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:01 pm

Awesome video!

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby steamedturtle » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:40 pm

Very cool stuff. What's up with the super slow runs?

Also that shot from below the first drop as the train passed over was awesome!

Fluffy, Fluffy, Donkeys Filled With Medicine and Goo!

Postby TBpony414 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:03 pm

Ryan that video was awesome! I loved the various shots under the station or beneath the track. The part towards the end with the dummies and the split screen of how it's supposed to look vs. slow AF is hilarious. Thanks for taking the time to make it and share with us!

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:52 pm

That's really great! Thanks for putting that together. The El Toro is so awesome. Missing it already.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby El Toro_Ryan » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:16 pm

Glad everyone enjoyed the video!

steamedturtle wrote:Very cool stuff. What's up with the super slow runs?

Also that shot from below the first drop as the train passed over was awesome!

The super slow runs are very common for Toro during the spring season and sometimes the fall season. There are a lot of reasons why Toro can run slowly. One is the grease used in the bearings of each wheel. The grease does not like cold weather and results in a slow running wheel which reduces the speed of the train heavily. During the first few test runs of the day on a cold morning, speeds are generally pretty slow compared to normal because the grease isn't warmed up yet. However once you get the grease nice and warm, the ride can hit the brake run as fast as 30+ mph. Another reason are the wheels themselves. The wheels are a very soft polyurethane which are better suited for warmer weather. These two factors are more so an issue at the beginning of the year when all the wheels/grease are new and not broken in. Additionally, the underside of 2nd generation Intamin prefab trains have a lot of empty space... so as soon as it gets extremely windy the bottom of the trains are essentially sails in the wind. (Toro and T Express use the 2nd gen) Depending on the direction of wind, certain hills on the ride will see a dramatically extra amount of speed worn off. Once the train clears the rolling thunder hill, the next highest hill is the hill into the brake run so if the train bleeds off too much speed during the S-turns.... get yourself a crane and get ready to tug. :lmao:
#ThroughputAddict (I need rehab). YOUTUBE PAGE: http://www.youtube.com/c/ElToroRyan

2014: El Toro Team Member
2015: Kingda Ka Team Member
2016: El Toro Unit Supervisor
2017: El Toro Unit Supervisor (Month of April) and Random Team Member when I felt like working (August thru December)
2018: Millennium Force Ride Host (Halloweekends)

Credit Count: 373

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby michaellynn4 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:31 pm

Ryan, that video is awesome! I especially loved the last couple of minutes of it with the added comments!

Question for you - any chance you have any information on what the park plans to do with the remaining piece of Rolling Thunder? I remember when the coaster was newly demolished talk was that they left that portion up as a bit of a tribute and planned to permanently adhere the old trains to the section. Was that at one point in the works, only to be cancelled by constraints (budget, logistics, etc), or something still in the works, just on the back burner?
DFTBA: Don't Forget to be Awesome.
#1: Skyrush

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!