TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

New Park in Houston Area (Grand Texas Theme Park)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Considering I am planning on a potential move to Houston in 2 years this development has me very interested. Been spoiled for so long with BGW and KD in my home state. Houstons closest full size park is SFFT in San Antonio.

I'm wondering what will be open, though. They just got their shipment of slide parts from White Water the other day. The video was posted on the April 9th so we're going to see a lot happen in 2 months!

So I saw their website has been updated bigriverswaterpark.com and it has no mention of slides. Unless I missed it. Maybe they will just try to get what they can open. I know they announced several slides. I’m more interested in checking out the zip line attractions at Gator Bayou that will open with the waterpark.

I'm wondering what will be open, though. They just got their shipment of slide parts from White Water the other day. The video was posted on the April 9th so we're going to see a lot happen in 2 months!

So I saw their website has been updated bigriverswaterpark.com and it has no mention of slides. Unless I missed it. Maybe they will just try to get what they can open. I know they announced several slides. I’m more interested in checking out the zip line attractions at Gator Bayou that will open with the waterpark.

Ahh, the slides are being installed in the fall and will open in 2019. I saw them mention WWW and immediately thought slides.

"ARRIVING FALL 2018 - Unlike anything in Texas, these exciting rides are scheduled to be installed this Fall, and will be available for the full 2019 waterpark season.

Storm Surge - Prepare to “Brave the Wave” as you and up to 3 other riders are engulfed by a massive current.

Comal Crush - “Feel the Force” on a speedy raft with surprise drops and twisting turns. This is a great kid-friendly ride.

Frio Falls - Spiral down a towering, coiling slide and plummet off a tower over six stores tall.

Pecos Plunge - Gain momentum before plunging a gut-wrenching seven stories high from a half-enclosed slide.

Sabine Scream - Hurtle down an enclosed slide with a swift drop that will leave you breathless!

COLORado River Racer - Race against up to five friends, with each lane a different experience! These multi-lane aqua tubes spiral and twist alongside each other before making a swift 360-degree loop and diving to the finish line."

http://bigriverswaterpark.com/bigrivers/

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Free admission this weekend for the first 5000 guests.

https://m.chron.com/neighborhood/east-montgomery/article/Grand-Texas-theme-park-sneak-peek-13357612.php

After years of delays, the 630-acre Grand Texas development's Gator Bayou Adventure Park will finally open to the public for a sneak peek 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 3.

The first 5,000 thrill seekers in line will receive free admission, parking and access to rides at one Houston's first major theme parks since Six Flags Six Flags AstroWorld closed its gates for good in 2005.

Watching them struggle this year has been painful. They came so close to some kind of soft-opening of the water park, even starting to sell season passes, but the hurricane really messed things up and they just couldn't get back on track. The apology video was cringe inducing. Yet another big delay and major broken promise.

But now the damn thing is built at least, and the "adventure park" side of it sounds cute and interesting. I'm really looking forward to seeing the water park actually operating. At least they won't have to deal with the awkward season without all the slides built.

So FINALLY next year we can begin to look forward to the actual theme park construction, which by my estimation will take until 2030 to open...

• 2 years later...
On 3/5/2021 at 9:31 PM, Vonni said:

I have not heard any fresh news on this park in years. I'd say at this point it is going to strictly be a water park. Anyone else heard anything?

Their social media looks inactive so I haven't heard anything, but I'm really disappointed with the pace of construction. Grand Texas was announced nine years ago and its not even half way done yet. I always thought that their financing wasn't in good condition, so I wouldn't be shocked if the pandemic accelerated that and causes them to sell their property. So it wouldn't surprise me if either A) the property is sold, or B) Grand Texas Theme Park won't be built for at least another five years, if ever.

• 8 months later...

Grand Texas will finally add some rides.   Big Rivers Waterpark and Adventures is opening a new portion of the park called Big Rivers Fairground featuring 11 rides.  All rides are expected to be operational in the spring, but some rides will open for the park's upcoming Christmas event.  RCDB is showing that a VISA SBF spinning coaster will open next month.

https://communityimpact.com/houston/lake-houston-humble-kingwood/parks-recreation/2021/11/29/big-rivers-waterpark-adventures-set-to-add-11-new-attractions/

Big Rivers Waterpark & Adventures set to add 11 new attractions

By Wesley Gardner

Big Rivers Waterpark & Adventures is launching a series of new rides with some of the new attractions opening to the public by December.

The water and adventure park is part of Grand Texas, a 630-acre entertainment, dining and shopping destination in New Caney.

According to Carl Foy, Big Rivers Waterpark & Adventures’ marketing director, the new portion of the park, dubbed Big Rivers Fairgrounds, will feature 11 amusement park rides, including a spinning rollercoaster, a rocking pirate ship, a 360-degree spinning pendulum and several attractions for children.

“Big Rivers Waterpark & Adventures is all about providing positive family experiences,” he said. “[The fairgrounds] is designed to be fun for all.”

The new rides will add to the variety of attractions already available at the park, including water slides, a wave pool, rock climbing, a forest maze, ax throwing, a concert venue and a large aquatic obstacle course.

According to Foy, the addition of the fairgrounds will allow the park to open earlier in the year than it has in the past.

“It adds more length to our season and more components that we can grow with,” Foy said. “We can open up in March for spring break, for example, when the kids are out of school and it might still be too chilly to swim.”

Foy noted officials were still in the planning phase of developing extended hours as of press time Nov. 16.

“It depends on the time of year and weather conditions,” Foy said. “If it’s too cold, people don’t want to be climbing up and down walls and doing zip lines.”

While Foy said the new rides that will be included in the fairgrounds are still under construction, some of them will be open to the public for the park’s upcoming Christmas at Big Rivers event in December. The rest of the new rides will be open by March 2022, he said.

Looking to the future, Foy said Grand Texas’ main goal will be the construction of a theme park, although he said there still was not a timeline for when it would arrive.

“The theme park is the ultimate goal, but it’s still a little bit away,” he said.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

they presented today at Winterfest - hosted by SFFT this year.

they showed what new things were announced to the Big Rivers Waterpark in 2022, including the 11 rides as part of the Fairgrounds that Larry mentioned in that post late last year.

It was reiterated - that adding rides the waterpark, is simply a way to keep the Waterpark able to operate in colder months, and help with cashflow. . but that the owners are *absolutely* set on the creation of the Grand Texas Theme Park.    and that a lot of the "groundwork" has been completed, or is in process.

They showed off some concept art, and asked those in attendance to keep the faith, and that they realize it was announced a long time ago. .  and tho he cannot give any kind of "planned opening date".

but they absolutely still have the plans to open this Theme Park in the future.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...