TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I've heard great things about Breakers. I'm staying in the Hojo across from Thirsty Pony again. It's a super cheap hotel in a great location, and with a Platinum Pass, it's not really necessary to stay on site.

Yeah, I'm cool with the Econo Lodge nextdoor to the Howard Johnson. It's basically right next to Breakers Express for like 1/8th of the price and we get Early Entry anyway. I could buy like 8 Rougabrews and Fastlane Plus plus the hotel and still come out ahead.

This is where we always liked staying. Couldn't beat price and location.

We stayed at Sandcastle Suites back in 2014 which was also our last visit to the park. We hated pretty much everything about the place. It was incredibly dirty outside and the pools were not maintained well all kinds of nasty stuff floating around. For the price that was paid that was a bit of a letdown. I am not one to write complaints but that is the only visit i ended up sending one. They offered a discounted future stay but that did me no good as we were not going to be making it back soon at that time. I wasn't looking for anything back I just wanted them to clean the place up. The beds sucked something horrible if i remember right too. Anyway I am definitely okay with them taking this place out.

I'll be staying closing weekend in Breakers because, honestly, the weather can be iffy (and sure looks like it will be Saturday) and that means I'll have somewhere to go when 3/4s of the rides are closed. That and the traffic into the park can be a nightmare on these weekends, which makes getting in and out if you're off property a non-starter.

When we went to CP last year we stayed at Breakers and thought it was well worth the price to be able to walk wherever we needed to go, but I can understand why regular visitors with platinum passes wouldn’t want to pay to stay on property every visit.

Random question: when the park is closed during the week like it is this time of year, can people still stay in the hotels on the peninsula every day? I don’t know why anyone would want to do that but am just wondering if they can.

More new info from Cedar Point.

https://www.cedarpoint.com/blog/a-few-changes-to-discuss

Sandcastle Suites and the Breakwater Cafe are gone. The All-Wheels / Extreme Sports stadium is also gone. Future details coming later.

wow. . TBpony will be upset. . she LOVES that Extreme Sports show.

I don't remember even SEEING Sandcastle Suites, and we not only stayed at Breakers for 4 days, and walked the boardwalk a few times, but also rode Magnum multiple times, and from the maps, it looks like it's visible from there.

weird.

Is there a date that 2018 resort reservations will become available online? I keep trying to spec out a getaway next year and it won't do it. Apparently I'll need to be quicker than usual too given the loss of one option.

Edit: I was finally able to find something searching the topic. So it looks like they were available early November last year?

Someone asked that on the blog post and Tony said hoping around mid-november

How beautiful would the boardwalk look with sister Von Roll sky ride on the boardwalk that could take you from Gatekeeper down to Magnum's pretzel turn around..

Any gondola on the back half of the park would be amazing. I love seeing Cedar Point from up high, but the only opportunities are the few seconds at the top of TTD and MF.

My dream is a detachable high speed gondola from the Wicked Twister area.... all the way to Frontier Town. It would probably cross over parts of Corkscrew, Iron Dragon, MF, TTD, and help my feet rest.

Random question: when the park is closed during the week like it is this time of year, can people still stay in the hotels on the peninsula every day? I don’t know why anyone would want to do that but am just wondering if they can.

Nope. It's closed during the week.

More new info from Cedar Point.

https://www.cedarpoint.com/blog/a-few-changes-to-discuss Sandcastle Suites and the Breakwater Cafe are gone. The All-Wheels / Extreme Sports stadium is also gone. Future details coming later.

wow. . TBpony will be upset. . she LOVES that Extreme Sports show.

I don't remember even SEEING Sandcastle Suites, and we not only stayed at Breakers for 4 days, and walked the boardwalk a few times, but also rode Magnum multiple times, and from the maps, it looks like it's visible from there.

I know, I freaking loved that show!! Hopefully they are able to relocate it somewhere else Sandcastle was located right at Magnum's turnaround, as in almost underneath the structure. You probably saw it and didn't even notice.

Welp, there go my rooming plans for coaster mania 2018. Damn, too, because it looked like the fit for what I needed and wanted.

I’m not at all heartbroken by the news of the Extreme Sports Stadium leaving. Goodbye!

Edited by RollerManic

....Sandcastle was located right at Magnum's turnaround, as in almost underneath the structure. You probably saw it and didn't even notice.

I think I saw "something" behind the trees there, as we were turning around. But still didn't think about it, afterwards.

IMG_3714.JPG.c4e86012aee8a5bbaed062332583747b.JPG

Behind the trees, there on the right? Sandcastle Suites is/was? June 2, 2017. CoasterMANIA! boat cruise.

Edited by Nrthwnd

I personally didn't know Sandcastle Suites existed until I came across it walking around the property between orientation sessions for work at the park. I even questioned if it was still open at the time based on the outdated, faded appearance on the outside. I don't even recall any major advertising for the place either. Always seemed like Breakers, Castaway Bay, and Express were the lodging places the park would heavily promote. I'm surprised Sandcastle stuck around as long as it did.

....Sandcastle was located right at Magnum's turnaround, as in almost underneath the structure. You probably saw it and didn't even notice.

I think I saw "something" behind the trees there, as we were turning around. But still didn't think about it, afterwards.

Yup, that's the spot that Sandcastle was in Bill! I stayed there a couple years ago when Breakers was booked up. While it was definitely outdated and we had to quite literally shove large couch pillows under the mattress to keep it from sagging so much in the middle, it suited our needs OK enough. We spent so much time inside the park that by the time we got back to the room the only energy we had left was to quickly shower and collapse in bed.

With that said i should be at park some of Saturday and Sunday.

Does anyone know of a good sports bar in Downtown Sandusky?

The Thirsty Pony has everything you'd ever want:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g50940-d462535-Reviews-Thirsty_Pony-Sandusky_Ohio.html

I'm not sure what qualifies as "downtown Sandusky" but if you like seafood, Demore's is a great local dive:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g50940-d6855845-Reviews-Demore_s_Offshore_Bar_and_Grill-Sandusky_Ohio.html

Hey josh, what’s with the one-train op on MF tonight? I’ve been in the station for 20 minutes.

One train ops on Millennium are no fun for anyone, but definitely better than going down. That's one of the drawbacks of separate load/unload - it's only more efficient (and only marginally) when running three trains and destroys one train capacity.