TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Alton Towers Discussion Thread

p. 235: Nemesis Reborn announced for Spring 2024!

I don't get what this secret element can be either , I also don't understand how these rides cost so much comparable to US ones when Merlin always seems to build "half a ride" lately.

The loft hill does seem an unusual incline at the bottom .

Thinking of the space the Log Flume had, I know they have height issues but still. They probably spend half the budget on the statue or whatever that is under wraps.

Maybe the gimmick is a room where you have a virtual ride on the old log flume, I don't know

Does it actually have a world's first, maybe I've missed it (probably have) but I don't remember seeing anything offically released saying there is a world's first element? Is it not just guess work as Merlin normally try and attach a gimmick?

Admittedly I don't know much about many overseas parks, but I have looked into AT pretty extensively and have learned a bit about the park over the past few years, with very real interest in eventually visiting at some point.

But I gotta say since this project has begun I've been over here like

[attachment=0]why.gif[/attachment]

Because the park has a tired 30 year old flume ride that needed to be replaced and needed another family ride to replace it with. This is much the same as Mystic Timbers, Heidi or InvadR.

It doesn't even have to be a world's first coaster, it can just have a feature which can be marketed as a world's first for Merlin to be satisfied.

Maybe the world's first is that it is the world's first attraction to be named SW8 during construction?

My thoughts exactly! I feel like the UK overhypes every single one of their rides.

They absolutely do. Especially the Alton Towers fanboys. I feel like they are constantly at war with the Efteling fanboys to see who can be the most obnoxious, over-hyping, and annoying theme park enthusiasts in Europe. But they both better look out! Apparently the Phantasialand fanboys are also on the rise after that last Taron outbreak!

Edited by robbalvey

It's just a decent family ride with I would imagine a 1.2 meter height restriction replacing another family ride that was very old and tired and nobody rode. Merlin have been incredibly guilty before of over-hyping stuff but they haven't released much yet apart from a name and logo and a few videos.

This is just coaster enthusiasts building a fun family coaster up into something it's not. I'm sure my 5 year old daughter is going to love it and that's what Merlin want through the gates, families that spend the money.

I completely agree with you, I think the issue is that the way we were told/heard about the ride was that it was a big Alton Towers Secret Weapon and the idea of a 'woodie' had been hyped for pretty much 15 years!

If this is what the park needs to bring in more families and make more money, then great! I'm sure it will be quite popular with families and children and a solid family ride, but don't tell me how this is the best most amazing coaster of all time. Looking a lot like InvadR at BGW.

I think the issue is that the way we were told/heard about the ride was that it was a big Alton Towers Secret Weapon and the idea of a 'woodie' had been hyped for pretty much 15 years!

If this is what the park needs to bring in more families and make more money, then great! I'm sure it will be quite popular with families and children and a solid family ride, but don't tell me how this is the best most amazing coaster of all time.

Let's not forget this is the same park that marketed an extended Roller Skater with a drop track as the world's most scariest psychological ride so intense that younger and older people would not be allowed to ride. And the fanboys blindly bought into that hype!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/new-alton-towers-thrill-ride-436455

137877799_ScreenShot2017-10-18at15_18_49.png.43c11db6357bb7615d7c7b8328da7f84.png

Yeah, we all know how that turned out!

If Alton Towers could just be more *honest* with their rides, I'd have more respect for them. Thirteen was actually a really great "family ride" like their take on Big Thunder Mountain, but they pretty much said that younger and older guests basically might die if they ride it, it's so scary. Which was just a complete lie. I really hope they don't do the same thing with this family ride, but we shall see...

Edited by robbalvey

We will see what the marketing stuff says I guess but I think what the park (and Merlin) do is general is build a family attraction with a low height restriction, something like Thirteen and then stick a more adult theme on it. This way it appeals to a broader audience and they can market it to wider audience. I guess adults are slightly disapointed in it but kids love it.

Thirteen still gets pretty decent queues now after all the hype died down so it must be a fairly decent attraction.

Let's not forget this is the same park that marketed an extended Roller Skater with a drop track as the world's most scariest psychological ride so intense that younger and older people would not be allowed to ride. And the fanboys blindly bought into that hype!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/new-alton-towers-thrill-ride-436455

[attachment=0]Screen Shot 2017-10-18 at 15.18.49.png[/attachment]

Yeah, we all know how that turned out!

The highest attendance figures since 1994?

That is a heck of a lot of 'fanboys'.

Alton Towers reminds me a bit of movie director William Castle--the King of the Gimmicks. He was a master of hype.

1020297.jpg

He was very good at making not particularly scary movies sound like the most horrifying thrill fests ever.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say here, but it sounds like you're being insulting, and I'd quit while you're ahead because I have zero patience for Alton Towers fanboys.

Edited by robbalvey

I'm not sure what you are trying to say here, but it sounds like you're trying to be insulting, and I'd quit while you're ahead.

The year TH13TEEN opened is the highest attended in the park's modern history. The only other years to come even close are the year a ride that claims its station is a multi-millennia old alien that has needed to be pinned down by the track opened and another where the queueline videos claim ride cars have gone missing.

Clearly it (dishonesty/hype) works with the general public. They have the attendance figures to prove it.

Clearly it (dishonesty/hype) works with the general public. They have the attendance figures to prove it.

Attendance doesn't always transfer to $$$$. If all of those people showed up and then were pissed and didn't come back for several more years leading to a decline or didn't spend money on merchandise because they were pissed...

Clearly you don't understand that attendance figures is not synonymous with "guest satisfaction."

Please go take "Theme Parks 101" and then come back when you are more educated to speak on the subject.

Thank you.

Edit:

Attendance doesn't always transfer to $$$$. If all of those people showed up and then were pissed and didn't come back for several more years leading to a decline or didn't spend money on merchandise because they were pissed...

I sort of love it when Elissa and I are in two different rooms basically typing the same thing at the same time!

Edited by robbalvey

in fact, according to the pdf on the Merlin website, it is worth noting that the British parks have had a good fall this summer. but Merlin does not understand and continues to invest (especially thorpe park that always goes bad). aand I managed to ruin gardaland who was the only one to make money

great work of merlin

I think the issue is that the way we were told/heard about the ride was that it was a big Alton Towers Secret Weapon and the idea of a 'woodie' had been hyped for pretty much 15 years!

If this is what the park needs to bring in more families and make more money, then great! I'm sure it will be quite popular with families and children and a solid family ride, but don't tell me how this is the best most amazing coaster of all time.

This is the same company that built Swarm and then said the water Dummies returned with missing limbs

The loft hill does seem an unusual incline at the bottom .

My thinking is that the unusual two-angle incline for the lift hill is only there so they manage to get the track at a certain distance from the station without gaining too much height and breaking the "tree height restriction".

I don't think it serves any other purpose, and while the idea of a launched hill was kind of cool, the complete lack of banking on the first turnaround rules it out...

Alton Towers reminds me a bit of movie director William Castle--the King of the Gimmicks. He was a master of hype.

He was very good at making not particularly scary movies sound like the most horrifying thrill fests ever.

But "The Tingler" might actually scare you to death!

(For the record, I enjoy that sort of thing.)

^ Actually, it's still being done, but with more tech to it now...

D-BOX ~ Discover a hyper-realistic, immersive entertainment experience that moves the body and sparks the imagination through motion. Don't wait!

"The Tingler" a la' 21st Centruy Tech.

D-boxSeatCineplex.jpg.0b908b3563ecb7bf74341ec714f997cc.jpg

At a few of our Cineplex Cinema complexes.