TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Bay Beach Amusement Park Discussion Thread

The Sea Dragon sounds like it will be a perfect fit for the park. With the success Zippin Pippin has had and seeing the boom Fun Spot is experiencing, it doesn't sound *too* impossible that Bay Beach could expand a little more. It would be very cool for this fun little park, but I'm not expecting a B&M Giga or AQUATRAX!!!1!!11! anytime soon. We'll see what the future brings.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Sea Dragon sounds like it will be a perfect fit for the park. With the success Zippin Pippin has had and seeing the boom Fun Spot is experiencing,

To be fair, Fun Spot hasn't seen the boom, yet. That's what they are hoping to see with this new expansion!

Good for them!

The Seadragon rides are really the best of the swinging ship rides. If they're run correctly (meaning they don't run it like they do at Knott's or the Santa Monica Pier) you get great floater air in the end seats.

I'm thinking this Sea Dragon is going to be brand new, not used. I think they were referencing a ride like this being on the carnival circuit. And before I forget, Chance still makes the Sea Dragon theme available. Galveston Pleasure Pier just built a brand new one last year.

• 11 months later...

http://wtaq.com/news/articles/2014/feb/13/bay-beach-amusement-park-to-see-some-new-improvements/

Improvements to Bay Beach Amusement Park is in the works, according to Green Bay park officials.

A new concession stand is planned, as is new lighting, a 400 stall parking lot and cosmetic upgrades to the Zippin Pippin roller coaster and the Sea Dragon. The price tag for all of that is expected to be north of $800,000. Park revenue is expected to cover those costs, and the city is also near a $500,000 grant.

With the arrival of the Zippin Pippin three years ago, and the Sea Dragon late last summer, the west end of Bay Beach has been a popular place to be. That area remains the focus of city parks officials.

Should things go according to plan this summer, officials say more fun projects will begin. That entails moving the route of the train to include a track heading west and a path underneath the Zippin Pippin.

“I think people are really going to love it. It gives you a better view of the Bay, it gives you the excitement of going under the Zippin Pippin when it’s moving, so it’ll add a new dimension to that ride,” Dawne Cramer, the director of Green Bay’s parks department, told FOX 11.

The city of Green Bay is also looking for the amusement park's 20th ride.

“We haven’t zeroed in on a specific ride yet and when we do that then we’ll kind of look around to the various areas a lot more and be able to kind of focus our attention on one ride,” Jason Arnold, assistant facilities manager for the city, told FOX 11.

Adding a ride fits the park’s master plan, which was updated last year. It calls for at least one ride to be added every two years for the next seven years.

The opening of Bay Beach won't happen this year for almost three months.

• 3 months later...

^Better than opening day 2011! My buddy Brian and I went up to Bay Beach for Memorial Day weekend (May 24/25). I haven't been there since 2011, and I'm happy to report Zippin Pippin is running better than then! I rode the original Zippin Pippin back in 1990. The track design/layout is 90% the same, but the ride experience is totally different. The long 5 car/3 bench PTC train flys through the layout at a Phoenix pace. The original ride used a 4 car train, so less momentum. But the train used at Libertyland also had buzz bars and no seat divider, so that's a trade off. It also had a skid brake along the turn around, and this one doesn't. No brakes, and a re-designed bunny hop near the end that will almost hurt you make for a great ride.

I couldn't believe how clean and well maintained the park was. The Eli Ferris Wheel, Tilt-a-whirl, mini railroad and everything else looked like brand new! A great relaxing day and a half at a traditional city park/amusement park. Free parking, great service, clean and well maintained rides. Can't wait to get back!

Here's a few pictures. Many more on my facebook page: http://tinyurl.com/qfvdugf

1.thumb.jpg.4ef5d4c95fa626ce93dd8a2d88f24d04.jpg

So simple and effective at just 70 feet. Up and down; no fancy parabolic stuff or "heartlines" and it works perfectly.

2.thumb.jpg.caabe38591e9a62fea3a8578ed267182.jpg

The single most violent air time I've ever experienced. Yes, more violent than Screechin' Eagle, Cyclops, Texas Cyclone or El Toro. You can see the top of the hill going right to left; it gets you as you go up to the hill. It's like a ramp, then BAM, you are at the top of the bunny hop. When Gravity Group built the ride, they said something to the effect of adding "a little surprise near the end."

3.thumb.jpg.84c3fd173fcce6044d8b54c924f60bc6.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.9e19d81383fddea528dd7101944da03b.jpg

Every single light bulb is functional in the park. I have never seen a park so well taken care of.

5.thumb.jpg.ea0c98ad1f1f59d3d0ccd487afb2473a.jpg

Every ride is in pristine condition. Lots of rides (like the Tilt-a-whirl) have their own set of vehicle tarps which are put on the ride every night. When I worked on the Cedar Point Blue Streak, it was part of our routine to cover the trains every night; "put them to sleep" we used to say.

6.thumb.jpg.d959bfa80359305e1b96002f1a6103bd.jpg

Pippin and giant racing slide. Cedar Point had one of these slides for decades. They had a box of wax paper and you could get a piece as you walked up the stairs to the slide. You would put the wax paper under your burlap sack for increased speed! They didn't have the wax paper at Bay Beach, but we still seemed to have very fast rides on this classic. You don't see these slides very often (reminds me of high dives at pools... all gone!)

7.thumb.jpg.2ffe9757624668d06ef75a11b2129123.jpg

8.thumb.jpg.64f27d608f0f6a933733e673dcb7f991.jpg

9.thumb.jpg.86b430aff7f31a86b60833458f703dfa.jpg

The only complaint about Zippin Pippin is the station set up. They wanted the ride to be as close to the original, so they put the transfer track right next to the boarding track. Guests have to walk in front of the those waiting behind queue gates and exit before queue gates open. We all know what that means. But even with this flaw, the lines are not very long. But because of this awkward set up, every single train "stacks" outside the station.

99.thumb.jpg.5319ec537cc8457d1c258398597e7f8d.jpg

Sea Dragon ready to sleep!

^^ Thanks for the report! I grew up in Door County and as a small kid we would go to Bay Beach with my Grandma who would babysit me while I rode the kiddy rides. Some of my fondest memories in life are of riding the train there which I link back my desire to be an engineer, my fascination in trains, and my love of theme parks and rides. I'm very happy to see them taking such good care of everything.

I'll actually be driving back up to Door County on Friday so I'll be able to snag a few rides on it. I remember the first time I rode it, that pop on that camelback took me but a humongous surprise. I'm looking forward to that ejector air again.

• 3 weeks later...

I have always preferred Carmex over Blistex and ChapStick, and now I like them even more.

http://fox6now.com/2014/07/04/green-bay-amusement-park-could-soon-get-trains-donated-from-family-that-owns-carmex/

“My dad’s big pleasure in life was giving kids rides:” Carmex family donates train to Bay Beach

Posted 7:59 pm, July 4, 2014, by Katie DeLong

GREEN BAY (WITI) — Most people don’t have trains in their backyard, but one Wisconsin man did! Now, his son is giving those trains away, and he believes he’s found a good use for them.

For years, Bay Beach Amusement Park has been a favorite spot for Pat Schroeder’s family.

“We’re married 50 years, so I would so that we’ve been coming about 50 years, off and on,” Schroeder said.

The city-owned park could be getting a donation from the family that owns the lip-balm company Carmex.

Paul Woelbing is the president of Carma Laboratories in the Milwaukee suburb of Franklin.

“My dad’s big pleasure in life was giving kids rides,” Woelbing said.

He says his late father had 3,000 feet of train tracks in his backyard.

“He was just anxious for neighbors to come over or any work associates to come over and give their kids rides,” Woelbing said.

Woelbing believes Bay Beach would a great place to honor his dad.

He’s been to the park before, and wants to donate three trains.

“I just love the idea that it was run by the city and the fact that families can come, and with $20 in their pocket, have a great day,” Woelbing said.

Bay Beach has two trains on a small track right now.

City leaders have already discussed expanding it.

Part of the park’s master plan calls for the train to run under the Zippin’ Pippin Roller Coaster.

“Anything that’s added to the park will make everything so much better,” Schroeder said.

Schroeder is excited about the possible new trains.

Woelbing hopes the donation can happen this year.

“It was wonderful when it was small, so it will be even better when it’s bigger,” Schroeder said.

Green Bay’s Parks Committee will discuss the donation request at its meeting next Wednesday, July 9th and will explain the plans for the trains after that meeting.

• 1 month later...

Bay Beach Amusement Park Review:

I went on 08/07/2014 and 08/08/2014. Unfortuatenly due to short funds and it being a ( 3 ) hour drive we did not participate in their Hunka Hunka Burning Lights from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. to celebrate Elvis' last ride on the Zippin Pippin back on 08/08/1977.

This is what I posted on my Facebook page about the place:

I would like to share with parents my experience at Bay Beach Amusement Park located in Green Bay, Wiscosnin. You can find a hotel in Green Bay for around $65 with taxes. You can check out their website at http://greenbaywi.gov/baybeach/

The park is owned by the City of Green Bay. Thus, it has the most value I have ever experienced at any theme park. The rides are immaculately maintained. Everything in the park looks like it was just bought!

It costs nothing to enter the park. Parking is free! The food is beyond reasonably priced. A double cheeseburger cost $2.50. A large fountain soda costs $1.25. They use carinival tickets. They sell for 25 cents each. They have a lot of rides that are appropriate for young kids up to teenagers. Each ride costs between 25 cents up to one dollar if you want to ride their wooden roller coaster Zippin Pippin. Here is a first person view of the Zippin Pippin.

ADMIN EDIT: PLEASE DO NOT LINK TO VIDEOS ON COASTERFARCE AS THEY DO NOT GET PERMISSION FROM THE PARKS FOR MOST OF THEIR VIDEOS.

I plan on going again next year 08/08/2015 to enjoy their Hunka Hunka Burning Lights event. That's on a Saturday. Hopefully TPR can get a group of people to enjoy this ride next year. I'm sure I'm going!

Edited by robbalvey

• 5 months later...

Looks like Bay Beach is getting three new rides for 2015 and 2016!

Coming in 2015 and 2016! This year we will expand the train, which will pass underneath the Zippin Pippin. In addition, we will be adding three new rides to be installed in 2015 and 2016! They are the Tot Jumping Spring Ride, The Rockin’ Tug, and The Falling Star!

10931438_879617228726773_5355529412634406134_n.thumb.jpg.3d9a8e3355393af0d0aa9b2928b00e0a.jpg

Solid set of rides for this park. I'm glad the place is going to keep on expanding. Adding Zippin Pippin was such a big political risk, but it sure worked and now this park is such an excellent example to point to when discussing the potential of smaller community amusements.

Falling Stars are really cool in any case. Don't see a whole lot of them around anymore either. Hope this one doesn't have the bearing troubles that have taken out some of the others.

Here is some additional information:

2015 Installations: Tot Jumping Spring (used) Rockin' Tug (new)

2016 Installation: Falling Star (used)

Both of the used rides are coming from the same seller on the east coast, so detectives, which park could be offloading these rides?

Three new rides could be coming to Bay Beach Amusement Park soon under a private donation worth more than $1 million.

The private Friends of Bay Beach group is offering to donate the new attractions, known as the Tot Jumping Spring, the Rockin' Tug and the Falling Star.

The Tot Jumping Spring and Rockin' Tug both are designed as parent-child rides and could be installed during the upcoming 2015 season.

The Falling Star, a larger ride designed for older kids, is tentatively scheduled for installation during the 2016 season.

With other improvements planned by the city, including installation of a second train ride, visitors to Bay Beach this summer will be able to enjoy the park's current attractions while also watching construction crews assembling the future.

"We're going to be busy people," city Parks Director Dawne Cramer said.

The City Council will be asked Tuesday to approve the estimated $1 million donation, along with $631,000 in city expenditures for the new train and other upgrades. The city's investment will come from park operating funds rather than tax dollars.

The new improvements are part of a long-term Bay Beach expansion plan that was initially designed to take 20 years at a cost exceeding $20 million.

Because the private friends group has been successful at raising money and acquiring rides so quickly, officials now believe the entire plan could be implemented in 10 years or less.

David Charles, president of the friends group, said that with so many amusement parks shutting down across the country, his group is working to locate and obtain top-quality attractions while they are still out there. All three of the new acquisitions were too good to pass up, Charles said.

"They're just beautiful rides," he said. "And they fit in perfectly."

Bay Beach, a historic city-owned attraction, has been entertaining families for decades along the Green Bay waterfront with its traditional carnival-style rides costing as little as 50 cents each. Many have been acquired from other amusement parks and refurbished for Bay Beach visitors.

The park is open between May and September.

The city added the Zippin Pippin roller coaster in 2011 and then the Sea Dragon swinging gondola in 2013. A private donor near Milwaukee last year contributed a miniature train, but rather than incorporate it into Bay Beach's existing train, officials have decided to erect a second train ride on the western side of the park.

The Tot Jumping Spring is a vertical ride that carries riders up and down a 40-foot column, while the Rockin' Tug is a boat that moves along a horizontal rail while rotating. Both are designed to fill a growing need for attractions where parents can ride alongside their kids.

"This is that different dimension," Cramer said.

The Falling Star, intended for older kids, is a large ride that carries riders in a compartment rotating in a circle. It is comparable in size to the Sea Dragon, officials said.

The Tot Jumping Spring and Falling Star are coming from a seller on the East Coast, while the Rockin' Tug is a new ride being assembled in Italy.

Cramer credited Mayor Jim Schmitt with bringing the Zippin Pippin to town and jump-starting plans to upgrade Bay Beach. She also said the friends group has done an impressive job of fund-raising.

"They're an awesome group of people," she said.

greenbaypressgazette

Here is some additional information:

2015 Installations: Tot Jumping Spring (used) Rockin' Tug (new)

2016 Installation: Falling Star (used)

Both of the used rides are coming from the same seller on the east coast, so detectives, which park could be offloading these rides?

Three new rides could be coming to Bay Beach Amusement Park soon under a private donation worth more than $1 million.

The private Friends of Bay Beach group is offering to donate the new attractions, known as the Tot Jumping Spring, the Rockin' Tug and the Falling Star.

The Tot Jumping Spring and Rockin' Tug both are designed as parent-child rides and could be installed during the upcoming 2015 season.

The Falling Star, a larger ride designed for older kids, is tentatively scheduled for installation during the 2016 season.

With other improvements planned by the city, including installation of a second train ride, visitors to Bay Beach this summer will be able to enjoy the park's current attractions while also watching construction crews assembling the future.

"We're going to be busy people," city Parks Director Dawne Cramer said.

The City Council will be asked Tuesday to approve the estimated $1 million donation, along with $631,000 in city expenditures for the new train and other upgrades. The city's investment will come from park operating funds rather than tax dollars.

The new improvements are part of a long-term Bay Beach expansion plan that was initially designed to take 20 years at a cost exceeding $20 million.

Because the private friends group has been successful at raising money and acquiring rides so quickly, officials now believe the entire plan could be implemented in 10 years or less.

David Charles, president of the friends group, said that with so many amusement parks shutting down across the country, his group is working to locate and obtain top-quality attractions while they are still out there. All three of the new acquisitions were too good to pass up, Charles said.

"They're just beautiful rides," he said. "And they fit in perfectly."

Bay Beach, a historic city-owned attraction, has been entertaining families for decades along the Green Bay waterfront with its traditional carnival-style rides costing as little as 50 cents each. Many have been acquired from other amusement parks and refurbished for Bay Beach visitors.

The park is open between May and September.

The city added the Zippin Pippin roller coaster in 2011 and then the Sea Dragon swinging gondola in 2013. A private donor near Milwaukee last year contributed a miniature train, but rather than incorporate it into Bay Beach's existing train, officials have decided to erect a second train ride on the western side of the park.

The Tot Jumping Spring is a vertical ride that carries riders up and down a 40-foot column, while the Rockin' Tug is a boat that moves along a horizontal rail while rotating. Both are designed to fill a growing need for attractions where parents can ride alongside their kids.

"This is that different dimension," Cramer said.

The Falling Star, intended for older kids, is a large ride that carries riders in a compartment rotating in a circle. It is comparable in size to the Sea Dragon, officials said.

The Tot Jumping Spring and Falling Star are coming from a seller on the East Coast, while the Rockin' Tug is a new ride being assembled in Italy.

Cramer credited Mayor Jim Schmitt with bringing the Zippin Pippin to town and jump-starting plans to upgrade Bay Beach. She also said the friends group has done an impressive job of fund-raising.

"They're an awesome group of people," she said.

greenbaypressgazette

As far as I know, the Top Jumping Spring could be in fact the Beanstalk from Martin's Fantasy Island!

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Bay Beach appears to be ready to build their second miniature train loop. The park currently has three trains running on a single track. They are proposing the construction of a second track and they would keep two trains on the existing track and move that third train, plus one train that was donated to the park, to the new second loop. The track for the new loop and the second train were donated by the Carmex family back in 2014.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/story/news/2017/09/17/new-bay-beach-train-track-green-bay-city-council-vote/671563001/

New Bay Beach train on track for Green Bay City Council vote

Jonathan Anderson, USA TODAY NETWORK-Wisconsin Published 5:49 p.m. CT Sept. 17, 2017

GREEN BAY - Construction could start soon on a new $1.2 million train ride at Bay Beach Amusement Park, while the proposed redevelopment of East Town Mall is scheduled for a final vote Tuesday.

Here's a rundown of key government meetings this week in Green Bay.

New Bay Beach train could get OK

Green Bay City Council members on Tuesday could approve a second miniature train ride at Bay Beach Amusement Park.

The new ride would be on the west end of the amusement park and would travel behind and beneath the Zippin Pippin roller coaster.

Two trains would be on the new tracks while another two would run on the existing tracks, said Dan Ditscheit, design and development superintendent for the Green Bay Parks, Recreation and Forestry Department.

Construction of the second train ride will cost about $1.2 million. Council members on Tuesday are scheduled to consider a contract with Advance Construction for the project.

Should the new train ride move forward, crews likely will start work within weeks and it could be open by May, Ditscheit said.

Money for the project comes from the sale of tickets, concessions and souvenirs at Bay Beach.

The City Council meets at 7 p.m. Tuesday at City Hall, 100 N. Jefferson St.

Edited by larrygator