Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 1468 - Halloween Horror Nights 29 Media Event TR!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 11 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Re: Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

Postby MrSum1_55 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:01 pm

^Make that 100% of all parks. This WAS one of the premier attractions at USO. Every B&M invert in existence is more or less one of the top attractions at its respective park. For example, Raptor is still one of the more iconic attractions at Cedar Point. And overall Raptor is not as famous with the GP as Dragons ever was. The only invert more iconic than Dragons is possibly Nemesis, and even that is comparing apples to oranges, as the two coasters are on different continents.

The only silver lining to this is that it makes me want to spend less time at Universal. This is good because the park experience did seem to be on the decline anyway. (I hate those ride metal detectors with a burning passion). Now this resort might be best as a one-day visit, while spending the rest of my time in Orlando/Tampa at a better park.

I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Postby KarlaKoaster » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:46 am

They don't look like they're being any more careful in removing Dragons than they were with Hulk to be honest.

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby cookiex » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:48 am

Of all the B&M coasters I thought would be the first to be entirely scrapped I didn't think Dragons would be one of them.
| Taron | Helix | Wildfire | Balder | blue fire Megacoaster | Schwur Des Kärnan | Silver Star | Expedition: Everest | Manta (Florida) | Kraken |
Coaster count: 91

| Europa Park | Liseberg | Phantasialand | Disney's Animal Kingdom | Gröna Lund |
Park count: 28

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:59 am

robbalvey wrote:Please guys don't post anything from Midway Mayhem. Those guys are such assholes and have treated us like complete crap over the years.

Whoops, sorry about that. I'm usually conscious of that stuff and I know of plenty of sites you guys don't want shared here but I never knew Midway Mayhem was one of them. That's a shame to hear. I don't know why people feel the need to act like assholes when covering an industry that's completely, 100% about letting loose, having fun and not taking yourself too seriously.

robbalvey wrote:I have actually been saying this for QUITE SOME TIME and I'm not sure why people didn't believe me. I'm not known to post random stupid crap that's not true. Please, just take my word for it. You don't need photos & video from some insecure douchebag to confirm it for you.

I know this isn't directed at me and I know you've been hinting at this for a long time but now that you mention the fact that you've known about this for such a long time there is something about this Dragons Challenge thing that I find really confusing. I'm wondering if you can shed some light on it (or maybe even speculate on it because I can't figure it out).

Based on when you started hinting about it on here, it seems like the rumors about Dragon Challenge started to surface not long after Diagon Alley and the Hogwarts Express opened. That sort of implies that this is something Universal has been thinking about for quite some time, probably even before Diagon Alley opened.

If that's the case then I can't for the life of me understand why they would go so far out of their way to shoehorn the Hogsmeade Station of the Hogwarts Express into such an asinine location. As of now, it seems like the only reason they would choose that location is to accommodate a ride that was on the chopping block anyway. The train station is located nowhere near the midway, wedged between helixes on fire and ice with an overflow queue up against that stupid Sinbad building. The logical part of me thinks that this must have been something Universal was considering for a long time, but the placement of the train station is so ridiculous that it almost seems like removing Dragon Challenge was never a serious consideration until after they green lit the Hogwarts Express (but that seems sort of crazy since the projects really weren't that far apart).

I can't be the only one that finds that really weird, right?

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:24 am

^Answer: Universal :?r

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:52 am

coasterbill wrote:I know this isn't directed at me and I know you've been hinting at this for a long time but now that you mention the fact that you've known about this for such a long time there is something about this Dragons Challenge thing that I find really confusing. I'm wondering if you can shed some light on it (or maybe even speculate on it because I can't figure it out).

The first time I ever heard about Dragons going was BEFORE Hogsmeade even opened. JK didn't like it and I had heard that each side would go to different Universal parks that were in the planning stages at that time. Those didn't happen. Dragons stayed. JK hated it. Rumors got stronger after Diagon opened and Dragons was flagged as the next expansion area. I'd heard everything from new ride to a hotel. Who knows, maybe BOTH can still happen, it's a huge area.

I think a lot of us just were hoping that none of those rumors were true because, as I've said many times already, it's rare that you see a park get rid of an actual good ride, no GREAT ride that is still ranking high on guest satisfaction and is one of the flagship rides of the park.

All I know is that parks like Universal Japan have shown how rides like Jaws and Potter can co-exist while at the same time building a brand new totally kick-ass B&M coaster. Maybe Orlando should take some cues from our Japanese friends. ;)

although I'm not expecting Jaws to still be in Japan in five years either...

Postby Hilltopper39 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:15 am

I wish they would just go ahead and build the Flying Dinosaur coaster in IOA, but then again......Universal.

Nothing beats Cali coasters

Postby chickenbowl » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:20 am

robbalvey wrote:Please guys don't post anything from Midway Mayhem. Those guys are such assholes and have treated us like complete crap over the years. Even up until very recently when I sent a guy to record a POV of Mine Blower while we were out of town and the Midway Mayhem dude happened to also be at Fun Spot and sat there in front of the park management talking about how we are such a terrible site and we shouldn't be allowed to film. Real professional. I do not want to support that guy in any way at all. Thank you.

Side note: Fun Spot ended up using all our footage in their web content and TV commercials so I guess his warnings fell on deaf ears! :P

Not going to post the links or anything, but heads up; this post apparently started some controversy. This dude is spamming Instagram and Facebook to further beef with TPR because he clearly "hates drama" :lmao:

robbalvey wrote:All I know is that parks like Universal Japan have shown how rides like Jaws and Potter can co-exist while at the same time building a brand new totally kick-ass B&M coaster. Maybe Orlando should take some cues from our Japanese friends. ;)

Ugh, Flying Dino is seriously SO GOOD. It really bums me out when I see the differences in directions these two parks have taken in the past few years
Chasing Airtime
Steel Vengeance|Intimidator 305|Maverick|Hakugei|Skyrush
Lightning Rod|T Express|Outlaw Run|El Toro|Phoenix

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby Themonerd » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:38 am

After reading the past 10 pages of this thread, I've learned how much of a bitch JK Rowling was about the situation good riddance.
If it has :airtime: count me in!
I've created 3 locked threads. I should start using that search function.

Postby coasterbill » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:39 am

Themonerd wrote:After reading the past 10 pages of this thread, I've learned how much of a bitch JK Rowling was about the situation good riddance.

What?

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!