TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I'm in the camp of "I can't see how they're going to make this work, but let them try!"

Same.

I don't see how they're going to staff the park considering so much of their workforce is minors.

Minimum wage hike + opportunity for permanent positions = More of a young adult staff?

The Tooth Fairy did not drop a huge bucket of money from the sky marked "For The Necessary Increase in Your Staffing Budget" into the park. It's great that they're trying to be open year round, but I just cringe at any thought of exactly how this is going to work.

Oh, and it's going to start right when our rainy season starts to go full bore.

Now I can make quick trips out on dead weekdays for tc marathons.

This!!

Great announcement from the park. If I remember correctly they used to have a year round calendar? Maybe I'm mistaken? Just glad to see daily operations are here/back!!

Now I can make quick trips out on dead weekdays for tc marathons.

This!!

Great announcement from the park. If I remember correctly they used to have a year round calendar? Maybe I'm mistaken? Just glad to see daily operations are here/back!!

the most i remember 25 or so years back was just september was daily, which was stupid dead back then. 5-6 rows of cars on some days. wouldn't even fill the first lot.

I remember going in January back in middle school and that was 1996, 1997. I believe it was during the week because then they had the Twicket $2 come back within 2 weeks thing and was on Xmas vacation from school. Doubt I went on a weekend all the time. Could be wrong though but I don't think the Twicket was only come back the next 2 weekends only that weekdays were available.

Looking forward to Aug 31st when SFMM has the Season Passes go on sale for 2017/2018. Wondering out-loud how much of a bump they will be based on going year round. I'm going with initial offering around $129 with parking added on for $100. Wish us luck.

Looking forward to Aug 31st when SFMM has the Season Passes go on sale for 2017/2018. Wondering out-loud how much of a bump they will be based on going year round. I'm going with initial offering around $129 with parking added on for $100. Wish us luck.

My bet is $79.99 with a measly $5 off to renew.

Source: Their Google ad

1016322803_ScreenShot2017-08-24at10_30_59PM.thumb.png.7eafe500740e92aced5322489d52490e.png

This is a google ad showing the flash sale.

I think it is a good experiment to see if the market is there for them to go year round. Maybe they are inspired by Knott's Berry farm success in this regard. We might even see a festival in the spring beyond their spring break promotions.

If they play it right, Magic can succeed! They just need to learn how to operate the park and the rides. I think they should raise the Season Pass price. It is priced to low and hurting them. Mimic Disney, have different passes (certain days, unlimited and super unlimited with special perks)!

If they play it right, Magic can succeed! They just need to learn how to operate the park and the rides. I think they should raise the Season Pass price. It is priced to low and hurting them. Mimic Disney, have different passes (certain days, unlimited and super unlimited with special perks)!

If SFMM's pass costs more than at other parks, then are they going to change how they handle other parks' SPs? Will guests from other parks have to pay an add-on price or buy a "platinum" pass or something to enable usage at SFMM? Does SFMM stop honoring passes from other parks altogether? Start blackout dates for passes from other parks?

If SFMM raises the price for their pass but continues honoring SP's from other parks without a change, buying a membership at SFDK will be a popular alternative.

I think it is a good experiment to see if the market is there for them to go year round. Maybe they are inspired by Knott's Berry farm success in this regard. We might even see a festival in the spring beyond their spring break promotions.

Knott's is a ghost town (no pun intended) during their off season.

I'm in the camp of "I can't see how they're going to make this work, but let them try!"

Same.

I don't see how they're going to staff the park considering so much of their workforce is minors.

Minimum wage hike + opportunity for permanent positions = More of a young adult staff?

I'm sure some college students will appreciate Six Flags being year round, but the problem for them will still be that they will be competing with all the other places who also pay minimum wage or higher and offer real benefits besides free theme park tickets.

Edited by Jew

If SFMM's pass costs more than at other parks, then are they going to change how they handle other parks' SPs? Will guests from other parks have to pay an add-on price or buy a "platinum" pass or something to enable usage at SFMM? Does SFMM stop honoring passes from other parks altogether? Start blackout dates for passes from other parks?

If SFMM raises the price for their pass but continues honoring SP's from other parks without a change, buying a membership at SFDK will be a popular alternative.

Six Flags has always had some parks with more expensive passes than others, varying by maybe $20 or $30 bucks between high and low. The way they try to prevent people from buying at a different park is that you have to process them at the "home" park (plus you don't get things like BAFF at other parks), and I guess they assume that people aren't going to drive usually many hours just to save a bit of money. Don't know if that would change if there was a big increase in one park's price..

Six Flags has always had some parks with more expensive passes than others, varying by maybe $20 or $30 bucks between high and low. The way they try to prevent people from buying at a different park is that you have to process them at the "home" park (plus you don't get things like BAFF at other parks), and I guess they assume that people aren't going to drive usually many hours just to save a bit of money. Don't know if that would change if there was a big increase in one park's price..

If you're talking about California vs New Jersey, sure, but there's quite a few people that go to both SFDK and SFMM, and having your pass processed at SFDK isn't a big deal, especially if it's a membership and you won't have to renew it each year.

I believe the SFDK pass is currently a little bit cheaper than SFMM already, but at the moment I don't think it's enough for MM to really care, I just wonder if they will care more if the disparity becomes larger.