Canobie Lake Park Discussion Thread

P. 45: The beginning of a waterpark in 2018
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Re: Canobie Lake Park Discussion Thread

Postby CanobieFan » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:42 am

The park's carousel organ almost went extinct this year. After months of it sitting abandoned, the organ has been restored and is now operating again. My favorite part of an amusement park in New England is how canobie continues to maintain little nostalgia details for younger people to see. :lover:
I LOVE CLASSIC WOODEN COASTERS AND NOSTALGIA.
I AM STRONGLY AGAINST NEUTERING WOODEN COASTERS
(Sadly) I AM THOROUGHLY AGAINST TOPPER TRACK. WOODEN COASTERS ARE SUPPOSED TO RATTLE YOU.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:06 pm

I was terrified it was going to be removed so I was ecstatic to hear it during my visit last week.

CNYCoasterguy11 wrote:Hi I'm trying to visit the park on Friday but the forecast doesn't look too promising. Can anyone tell me if the park is worth visiting in rainy weather? And does anyone know the policy on what rides stay open and close? The park site wasn't real specific.

Unfortunately the park closed at 5 today. Did you end up going in the morning?
Canobie.JPG
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Twisted Colossus, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325
Most Recent Trip Reports- Universal Studios Hollywood & Six Flags Magic Mountain

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby CNYCoasterguy11 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:56 pm

[/quote]Unfortunately the park closed at 5 today. Did you end up going in the morning?[/quote]

No unfortunately we didn't try because it was looking so bad and turned out that was the right decision. Hopefully in the future I will get my chance to go but it won't be this year. I was able to get to Funtown USA, Palace Playland and Stoyland on my trip, so not a complete loss.
COASTER COUNT:
TOTAL:132
STEEL:101
WOOD:31
PARKS:25

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:29 pm

Canobie is the best park of those 3, but both Roar-o-saurus and Excalibur are better than any individual ride at Canobie.
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Twisted Colossus, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325
Most Recent Trip Reports- Universal Studios Hollywood & Six Flags Magic Mountain

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby CNYCoasterguy11 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:37 am

Storyland was great for my daughter (she's 3), she was able to do everything except Roar-o-saurus, but I was able to get on it again and it's still great with tons of little airtime pops. Storyland was the best of the week other than being somewhat crowded for a Wednesday. Funtown wasn't bad either other than still seeming a little rundown and really lacking in bathrooms especially once you get past the Car Ride. Excalibur was running pretty good even for being almost 20 years old, it was actually rougher towards the front but I love it in the back especially with that great first drop that really launches you from the back rows.
COASTER COUNT:
TOTAL:132
STEEL:101
WOOD:31
PARKS:25

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:27 pm

^ I noticed the same things about the bathrooms at Funtown. I can't believe they don't have one back by Excalibur. That coaster is still running really well which is a testament to how well the park maintains it.

If you had made it to Canobie, you'd be able to see how well they maintain an 85 year old coaster. The Yankee Cannonball runs glass smooth.

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby I Like Theme Parks. » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:49 am

I'm going to the park this Sunday for the first time and I'm looking for some tips. The rides I want to get on are Yankee Cannonball, Untamed, Corkscrew, Policy Pond Log Flume, Turkish Twist, Psychodrome, and Mine of Lost Souls. I'd also like to try Starblaster, Caterpillar, and Zero Gravity. Which rides or sections of the park should I get on right when the park opens? Also, what are the best places for food? Thanks in advance for any replies.
Top 3 Parks: Knoebels, Cedar Point, Kennywood
Top 3 Steel Coasters: Steel Vengeance, Phantom's Revenge, Maverick
Top 3 Wood Coasters: El Toro, Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 3 Flat Rides: Knoebels Flyers, Black Widow, Zipper
Top 3 Water Rides: Coal Cracker, Escape From Pompeii, Splash Mountain
167 coasters

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:20 pm

Will you be there all day? If so, the lines for the Corkscrew, Log Flume, and Mine of Lost Souls will be less than 5 minutes. Midday, the Corkscrew could have a 15-20 minute wait if the queue is at the bottom of the ramp, the Flume is a 30 minute wait with a full queue, and Mine of Lost Souls can approach an hour if it has a full queue. If the weather is cooler, they will close the flume's line early; however, on a day like that it probably wouldn't have much of a wait anyway.

The Yankee Cannonball will have a full queue pretty much all day. If the queue is filled, it takes about 30-35 minutes. I recommend riding it at night, but be careful since they will close the line early. They typically close it a half hour before closing, so I recommend getting there by at least 9:15 to ensure you can get in line. The best seat by far is the very back (huge difference between this seat and even 2nd to back). Unfortunately, the park doesn't let you wait for seats. They don't assign seats. They count of 18 riders and then you enter into the station taking whatever seat is open. If you want to make the wait more pleasant, you can time it so you wait while a show is going on at the Midway Stage, since you have a great view of it while in line.

Untamed typically has no more than a 20 minute wait. If you want to get on faster, there's a single rider line if you walk to the other side of the station. Usually I can get on within 2-4 trains with the single rider line.

Psycho Drome is another one that will have a pretty consistent wait all day. Like the Yankee Cannonball, they will close this line early so do not wait until the end. If it's a full queue, it can take a half hour since this is a pretty slow loader. I'd recommend hitting this one towards the beginning of the day if you want to avoid a wait.

Caterpillar and Turkish Twist will never be more than a 1 cycle wait. The latter is the best flat in the park so definitely ride it. Every other rotor or gravitron that I've been on runs considerably slower than this one.

Star Blaster's line is a crapshoot. I've seen it as short as 5-15 minutes midday, but other days it can exceed 30 minutes. 3 out of 4 times, this line will die down at the end of the night, but there are some nights where it will still be pulling a 20-30 minute wait at this time.

As for what to do first, I'd recommend trying to get on Yankee Cannonball (reride if the queue is short, since it will quickly get a full queue), Star Blaster, and Psycho Drome in that order. I haven't been to the park for opening in quite some time, but they used to stagger the openings of some attractions so keep that in mind.

For food, my personal favorite is the Dancing Bear Cantina. You'd think that would be near Untamed since the whole area is themed to bears, but it's actually on the complete opposite side of the park across from the Tall Timber Splash water slide.

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby I Like Theme Parks. » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:53 pm

^Thanks for all of that! I'll definitely try to start with Yankee Cannonball, Starblaster, and Psychodrome. :)
Top 3 Parks: Knoebels, Cedar Point, Kennywood
Top 3 Steel Coasters: Steel Vengeance, Phantom's Revenge, Maverick
Top 3 Wood Coasters: El Toro, Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 3 Flat Rides: Knoebels Flyers, Black Widow, Zipper
Top 3 Water Rides: Coal Cracker, Escape From Pompeii, Splash Mountain
167 coasters

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:50 pm

Also if you are a seafood fan, they have a fried seafood stand near the Boston Tea Party that is usually pretty good and it's something you don't see too often at a park.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!